Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense???

Smonroe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Fluse has to address this.  I don’t care what they’re ranked, or were ranked.  They eye test means more than stats.  

That first half was abysmal...again!

I think Lenard is a huge part of what’s going on too

They aren’t elite.  They are good, at times.  They are poor at others.  What scared me the most was the d-line just getting owned by a subpar Bengals line.  That’s 3 of 4 last halves of football what is supposed to be the strength of the defense got owned by a lesser opponent.

1st half defense struggled but give a little credit to Bengals. They did a good job at the LOS and Tee Higgins (someone I wanted), Joe Mixon, Burrow, & AJ are all ballers. Flus made adjustments and they looked much better in the 2nd half. Remember against cover 2 defense when you play very accurate quarterbacks you can get exposed when you get little to no pressure (which is what we saw in the first half).

Personally, I think there a lot of talent that’s poorly schemed and coached.

I'm not saying they should fire Fluse, it’s not like there’s a young Monterey Kiffen waiting in the wings.  But they have to start playing D when the game starts like they do when they’re behind.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This

Maybe but I don’t think Leonard is going to instantly fix all the struggles especially on the line and secondary.  Honestly, at least last week, the linebackers were pretty good,  still you don’t lose a player like Leonard and not feel it.  I’ll concede that.

Just now, Malakai432 said:

Do you know how long Leonard was ruled out for?  I guess it's not a bad time to have a bye lol.  

I'm also curious to know about Turay, Pittman and Campbell.  

I think Parris Campbell's injury is more serious and he won't be back until late in the season.

I would assume Darius Leonard would be back after bye. He seemed to be close. Turay is able to come off of PUP now and Pittman was expected to be back after the bye.

1 minute ago, Malakai432 said:

Do you know how long Leonard was ruled out for?  I guess it's not a bad time to have a bye lol.  

Colts aren’t saying,  he was doubtful today so there was at least a chance at sometime this week they thought he might be able play.  I am hoping that means he’s back after the bye.  Last I heard Turay and Pittman were sounding like they might be back the bye. I get the impression IF Campbell is back it will be late in the season.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not saying they should fire Fluse, it’s not like there’s a young Monterey Kiffen waiting in the wings.

"Monterey" Kiffin? 

Is that Monte's stripper sister/sometimes defensive coordinator? 

:peek:

Correction- *the first quarter  

I wouldn’t be worried, doesn’t help when your offense turns the ball over the first minute of the game. And then takes it till mid in the second to get its groove going. 

Once again our D shut down the opponent in the second half; something great Defenses do

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t elite.  They are good, at times.  They are poor at others.  What scared me the most was the d-line just getting owned by a subpar Bengals line.  That’s 3 of 4 last halves of football what is supposed to be the strength of the defense got owned by a lesser opponent.

The scary thing is that this is how they looked versus the jags.  They were getting stood up and pushed around most of the game.

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

I don’t but I’d guess he’ll be back after the bye. 

We’re still very good against the run. I have no issues with our run defense. 

Pass coverage is a literal crapshoot. We may pick off 3 passes and get 7 sacks, we may be giving huge games to guys no one has ever heard of before the game. There’s no rhyme or reason to what we get and when. 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We’re still very good against the run. I have no issues with our run defense. 

Pass coverage is a literal crapshoot. We may pick off 3 passes and get 7 sacks, we may be giving huge games to guys no one has ever heard of before the game. There’s no rhyme or reason to what we get and when. 

Did you see the Bengals touchdowns at the goal-line today?  The QB sneak for a yard that turned into a three to four yard TD in particular was embarrassing.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Did you see the Bengals touchdowns at the goal-line today?  The QB sneak for a yard that turned into a three to four yard TD in particular was embarrassing.  

You can’t win them all all the time. But after sitting through years of Dungy, Caldwell, and Pagano run defenses that were butter tough at best I’m happy to say we’re doing ok with run defense. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

You can’t win them all all the time. But after sitting through years of Dungy, Caldwell, and Pagano run defenses that were butter tough at best I’m happy to say we’re doing ok with run defense. 

Well the bengals had almost 100 yards rushing today and three TDs running the ball.  I am not sure today is the day to puff the chest out about the run defense.  They were okay at best vs the run today.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well the bengals had almost 100 yards rushing today and three TDs running the ball.  I am not sure today is the day to puff the chest out about the run defense.  They were okay at best vs the run today.

Again, you can’t dominate every single day. Some days will be better, some will be worse. The average is still way better than we’ve endured. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I will give some props to Willis as well. Announcers said today he hasn’t missed a tackle all season. Pretty impressive stat 

I give the whole team props. This is one of those games that should have been a loss but they stayed tough and pulled it out. 

Yes they gave up 21 points in the first quarter plus a few seconds, but only 6 after that. 

Rivers threw a pick but he did put it in the air 44 times for 371 yds and 3 tds.  Complain all you want, that is not bad enough to make it an issue.

There was no panic and they made the plays to win the game. 

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

But they only averaged 3.1yds a carry and that is with a 25yd reverse.

Take that away and they averaged 2.4ypc

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Again, you can’t dominate every single day. Some days will be better, some will be worse. The average is still way better than we’ve endured. 

This is the third time in six games the defense hasn’t been dominate.  That’s not a dominate defense.

they have been dominate against the Jets who everyone is dominate against, Bears who have a sub par offense with a new QB making his first start, and the Vikings who is the one that has been the most impressive.

Archived