Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow


Recommended Posts

I will eat crow also.Rivers played very well today but the key was the offensive line was giving him most of the time good protection. It was also nice to see some receivers step up like Johnson, Harris and Burton. I still would look like to see us get Taylor the ball more in open space.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes he had bad pick but there's no Colts win without Phil today.    Can we go 1 week without a bench Rivers thread?

This aged well.......

Rivers was down 21-0, came back like Luck would. Rivers 3 TD's and 371 Yards, Colts win baby! Colts now 4-2. The difference between being 3-3 and 4-2 is huge. Rivers haters can go kick rocks this week

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Numba1Colt said:

just saying the colts get going on offense, then get going on defense. do all that work.

 

and then, with a 1 pt lead and getting the ball back with a short field. rivers throws incomplete, then forces it deep and gets picked off

 

then the colts got lucky with a missed field goal and then Rivers missed a wide open walk in TD deep because Rivers overthrows him then can't convert a 3rd and 4 to keep the ball and eat clock and move the chains

 

he's OK... he still tried to implode

My question is why in h#!! was Reich passing on to start that series? Taylor was averaging 5.7 yds per carry at that time in the game and Reich passes on 1st and 2nd down. His play calling baffles me some times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival
 

He had a good game today. 
 

But that does not change who he is.

 

He’s still Rivers, and that still comes with all of the same pros and cons it always has. We got (mostly) the pros today. We’re still going to suffer the cons more often than not. 

Here’s the thing if you read the thread no one is saying this is the Rivers we are going to see every game from here on out.  In fact, if anything, people are saying if has to play this way the rest of the way out the Colts are in trouble.

 

What people are saying is that after he played awful last week and we had people saying he could never play like this at all and he needed to be benched and had a noodle arm he responded the way you want.  He had a great game today on a day where no other phase of the game, aside from special teams, played well.  Not the o-line, not the running game, not the defense.  He carried them today and without him the Colts aren’t even in this game let alone winning it.  He deserves credit for that.  
 

He deserved every bit of the ripping he got last week and he deserves the credit he’s getting today.  If you can’t admit that then that exposes you as someone who won’t like anything Rivers does.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

It was definitely his best game of the year, now with that said...

 

1) He’s playing the Bengals

2) A lot of his completions were the result of finding the open guy against blitzes or checkdowns.

3) When he did push it down the field, the receivers were wide open. 

 

I have serious doubts that he can have this kind of production against even a good defense, but it was a nice game for him today.
 

 

 

You must have missed the Doyle and pascal touchdowns

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

His ball placement was great today. That int was a stupid decision but didn’t cost us this week. The TD to pascal was really good. Burton came alive today. Hopefully we keep this up. Getting Johnson in the deep ball is going to keep opening everything else up if we can continue to hit that deep pass.

The Doyle touchdown was awesome too !!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here’s the thing if you read the thread no one is saying this is the Rivers we are going to see every game from here on out.  In fact, if anything, people are saying if has to play this way the rest of the way out the Colts are in trouble.

 

What people are saying is that after he played awful last week and we had people saying he could never play like this at all and he needed to be benched and had a noodle arm he responded the way you want.  He had a great game today on a day where no other phase of the game, aside from special teams, played well.  Not the o-line, not the running game, not the defense.  He carried them today and without him the Colts aren’t even in this game let alone winning it.  He deserves credit for that.  
 

He deserved every bit of the ripping he got last week and he deserves the credit he’s getting today.  If you can’t admit that then that exposes you as someone who won’t like anything Rivers does.  


No. I won’t like anything Rivers does. I’ve been clear on that. I’ve never been a Rivers fan. He’s a guy who can keep you slightly enough above average to keep you hoping, but he’s not the guy who can take you all that way regardless of the pieces around him. He had plenty of good teams that should have had better results in SD. 
 

This is just another one of those flashes that makes people grant him lenience for playing average or poorly the rest of the time. It’s a viscous cycle that has been going on his entire professional career.
 

I want a guy that we can at least think has a shot to carry us to a Super Bowl. Anyone who believes Rivers can carry any team to a Super Bowl is kidding themselves. 
 

Which is exactly my whole original point regardless of what anyone said or didn’t say previously in this thread, or this week or last week or anytime. It was a nice game, but it doesn’t change anything. He’s still the same player he always was and there will be plenty to offset the good he did today. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frank keeps trying to force the ball into the middle behind Kelly and Q which makes sense but teams are just sitting on it.  Hopefully rivers today might back teams off a little.

IIRC, Q through Glow isn't really the issue, unless Hines is running there. Most of the issues have been running over T. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

My question is why in h#!! was Reich passing on to start that series? Taylor was averaging 5.7 yds per carry at that time in the game and Reich passes on 1st and 2nd down. His play calling baffles me some times. 

This board still continues to baffle me.  Weekly I see complaints about how predictable the game plan is by running on first down up the gut.

Now the complaint - and I hope it is the only one - about throwing it when JT is averaging 5.7 a carry, yet it’s because of River’s arm we are back in the game.

 

This just baffles me...

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He also had a couple runs of 12 and 17 as well. Like I said, he’s coming along slowly but I think he’ll get better

I absolutely think he'll be fine. Problem wasn't him, it was our OL, and Cinci keying on the run early (which I think we all expected).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


No. I won’t like anything Rivers does. I’ve been clear on that. I’ve never been a Rivers fan. He’s a guy who can keep you slightly enough above average to keep you hoping, but he’s not the guy who can take you all that way regardless of the pieces around him. He had plenty of good teams that should have had better results in SD. 
 

This is just another one of those flashes that makes people grant him lenience for playing average or poorly the rest of the time. It’s a viscous cycle that has been going on his entire professional career.
 

I want a guy that we can at least think has a shot to carry us to a Super Bowl. Anyone who believes Rivers can carry any team to a Super Bowl is kidding themselves. 
 

Which is exactly my whole original point regardless of what anyone said or didn’t say previously in this thread, or this week or last week or anytime. It was a nice game, but it doesn’t change anything. He’s still the same player he always was and there will be plenty to offset the good he did today. 

 

Why don't you like Rivers ? What has he ever done to you ?

 

Did Rivers impregnate your wife or something and your here to tell us Rivers really has 10 children???

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I absolutely think he'll be fine. Problem wasn't him, it was our OL, and Cinci keying on the run early (which I think we all expected).


Things also changed when the offense started to do more outside zone run plays. Not sure why those have been noticeably absent this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

 

1. The Bengals have played everyone close save for the Ravens. Burrow is good and the Bengals defense is a top 15 unit by most advanced stats.

 

2. Is that supposed to be a negative? Not sure what's wrong with that. That's what playing QB is about.

 

3. Rinse and repeat #2.

 

He has already done it against good defenses. Ask Chicago. And like I already said, the Bengals have a decent defense by most advanced stats.

They scored 19 points against Chicago, settled for field goals most of the game. Today’s effort was better, wasn’t saying it was a positive or negative, just stating what happened and he’s still who he has been all year. If you look at his splits on home vs. road games, that’s where there is cause for concern. If the colts make the playoffs and he’s playing outside at Buffalo, Kansas City or Baltimore in conditions, it could be a real problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

 

Why don't you like Rivers ? What has he ever done to you ?

 

Did Rivers impregnate your wife or something and your here to tell us Rivers really has 10 children???

In fairness Rivers has caused me a lot of heart ache and there was the one playoff game where he was a horses behind to our fans so he’s the one guy I can sorta get fans not liking out side of like Brady.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


No. I won’t like anything Rivers does. I’ve been clear on that. I’ve never been a Rivers fan. He’s a guy who can keep you slightly enough above average to keep you hoping, but he’s not the guy who can take you all that way regardless of the pieces around him. He had plenty of good teams that should have had better results in SD. 
 

This is just another one of those flashes that makes people grant him lenience for playing average or poorly the rest of the time. It’s a viscous cycle that has been going on his entire professional career.
 

I want a guy that we can at least think has a shot to carry us to a Super Bowl. Anyone who believes Rivers can carry any team to a Super Bowl is kidding themselves. 
 

Which is exactly my whole original point regardless of what anyone said or didn’t say previously in this thread, or this week or last week or anytime. It was a nice game, but it doesn’t change anything. He’s still the same player he always was and there will be plenty to offset the good he did today. 

Then your a hater if you can’t put aside your dislike of a guy on day when he bailed your team out and give him credit for that day and still need to take shots at him, no need to waste more time on it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then your a hater if you can’t put aside your dislike of a guy on day when he bailed your team out and give him credit for that day and still need to take shots at him, no need to waste more time on it.


Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

 

Now, where is the disconnect?

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

In fairness Rivers has caused me a lot of heart ache and there was the one playoff game where he was a horses behind to our fans so he’s the one guy I can sorta get fans not liking out side of like Brady.

 

He does mix it up with opposing fans in the stands on occasion not just Colts fans. Some fans like it and give it back and others take offense to it.

 

Its all clean and he doesn't cuss and uses words like aw shucks and shoot.

 

Sorry Colts fans were so offended 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Waylon said:


Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

 

Now, where is the disconnect?

Like I just said that just makes you a hater where is the disconnect on that?  If there isn’t any we agree.  Like I also just said no need to waste anymore time on it.  Personally I am all for anyone who wears the horse shoe and helps us win a game when the rest or the team doesn’t play well.  

1 minute ago, PrNum1 said:

 

He does mix it up with opposing fans in the stands on occasion not just Colts fans. Some fans like it and give it back and others take offense to it.

 

Its all clean and he doesn't cuss and uses words like aw shucks and shut.

 

Sorry Colts fans were so offended 

Point being he’s one of the few players in the NFL that has actually given them a reason to not like him lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

 

Now, where is the disconnect?


Never thought I’d witness Rivers Derangement Syndrome but here we are.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

 

Now, where is the disconnect?

Its ok man. It just seems that your hate goes beyond that he's a poor player in your eyes and it seems personal. 

 

I was just wondering what he did to make you hate him so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:


Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

 

Now, where is the disconnect?

It's ok to dislike rivers but saying he played well today won't kill you

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Restored said:


Things also changed when the offense started to do more outside zone run plays. Not sure why those have been noticeably absent this year.

I really don't like the zone runs over the Ts, but I do love seeing them hit the edge hard. Infrequent, but when we've done it, they've been successful. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, Rivers was brought in to win us the 2 or 3 games that JB could not.  And to let opponents know that our QB is capable of winning us a game, which might worth another 2 games. 

 

It became apparent that JB would not win us games, and opponents began to know that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

IMO, Rivers was brought in to win us the 2 or 3 games that JB could not.  And to let opponents know that our QB is capable of winning us a game, which might worth another 2 games. 

 

It became apparent that JB would not win us games, and opponents began to know that.

Jacoby doesn’t win today’s game so that’s one.  Honestly if Rivers can follow up this performance with another good one vs the Lions I think you’ll see the running game open up because teams will back off to stop the pass.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jacoby doesn’t win today’s game so that’s one.  Honestly if Rivers can follow up this performance with another good one vs the Lions I think you’ll see the running game open up because teams will back off to stop the pass.

Exactly.  We don't win this game if JB is the QB. 

 

I don't think Rivers is the same QB he was, but he was brought in to be a clear upgrade over JB and that's what he has been, mistakes included.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Exactly.  We don't win this game if JB is the QB. 

 

I don't think Rivers is the same QB he was, but he was brought in to be a clear upgrade over JB and that's what he has been, mistakes included.

We just need more this Rivers and less Browns Rivers.  This Rivers is what the Colts paid for.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The Bucs with Brady is probably the only team that actually can beat KC just because of Brady and their high flying offense. Their D is also playing much better now than it did in week 12.  Both tackles being out for KC is also huge. 
    • Lol. This belongs in the Favorite Gifs thread.   Losing the Colts is a sentimental issue for Baltimore Colts fans, many of whom later became Ravens fans. The Ravens have won two Super Bowls and for many, it is not still enough to erase the scar from the Colts' leaving. The irony is that many of them do not feel bad that the Browns moved their team to Baltimore. They will tell you that at least the Browns kept the team name and history in Cleveland.    Having said that, I recall when Red McCombs of Texas wanted to move the Vikings to San Antonio. I'm not from MN and don't live anywhere near there, but I would have been upset had they moved. I am not sure why, but I would. 
    • Yes,  Eminent Domain involves compensation to the victim.  Irsay would have walked away with cash that the Baltimore/MD taxpayers would have recouped by selling the team to someone they liked better.  And, IMO, that's really what it was all about.  The city and the fans hated the guy for various reason and they wanted their storied franchise in the city but him out of the picture.  It was a power play but its tough to control somebody who actually owns the team.   And, IIRC, other football teams in the NFL already had much better stadiums, where BALT Memorial Stadium may have been the worst in the NFL.  Superdome, Silverdome, Kingdome; even Pitt and Cincy's multi use stadiums were newer.    The national media portrayed Irsay as some evil selfish capitalist oppressing the hard working righteous people of BALT, where he steals their team in the middle of the night.  That was the national media narrative that sold the most copy, go figure.   When in fact, although he was an unlikeable guy, there were legitimate business reason for his decisions, number one being that the city of Baltimore failed to compete with other cities on stadiums, and also demanding Irsay separate from the team.  Overreach, IMO.
    • I know Kiper has a job there...but there's no way the Colts are drafting anybody at #21. That pick is headed somewhere.  1st round mock drafts this year will be largely irrelevant to Colts fans as it relates to non-QBs.
    • Kind of explains why he broke the new of his retirement thru the San Diego press too.    although I might actually vomit if we go get Stanford or wentz
  • Members

    • coltsva

      coltsva 1,700

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • joecolts

      joecolts 47

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shasta519

      shasta519 2,652

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 7,994

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FortheWin

      FortheWin 207

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 6,733

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Barry Sears

      Barry Sears 1,274

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FanFromtheWasteland

      FanFromtheWasteland 20

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • indykmj

      indykmj 77

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jskinnz

      jskinnz 1,756

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...