Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Numba1Colt said:

just saying the colts get going on offense, then get going on defense. do all that work.

 

and then, with a 1 pt lead and getting the ball back with a short field. rivers throws incomplete, then forces it deep and gets picked off

 

then the colts got lucky with a missed field goal and then Rivers missed a wide open walk in TD deep because Rivers overthrows him then can't convert a 3rd and 4 to keep the ball and eat clock and move the chains

 

he's OK... he still tried to implode

I missed the game. Could you please give me a rundown on his good plays? Thanks in advance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes he had bad pick but there's no Colts win without Phil today.    Can we go 1 week without a bench Rivers thread?

This aged well.......

Rivers was down 21-0, came back like Luck would. Rivers 3 TD's and 371 Yards, Colts win baby! Colts now 4-2. The difference between being 3-3 and 4-2 is huge. Rivers haters can go kick rocks this week

Posted Images

Just now, Shadow_Creek said:

true but i'm sure he had some comebacks in his rookie year 

He did but I clearly said for a rookie in his first action which what Eason would have been today.  Again, Luck was thought to be great so that backs up my point.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Colt said:

With 14:50 left to play in the second quarter the Bengals led 21-0. The Colts squirmed by the Bengals by the skin of their teeth. No good.

Yes and the only reason they did was because of Rivers which is what this thread is about.  I am sure there are or will be plenty of threads about what didn’t go well today.  What did go well and why they won was Rivers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Does anyone not realize that he has to do this against elite teams and not bottom feeders?

 

He's played 6 games as a Colt.

 

Give him some time to build some rapport with the WRs (who are constantly being re-shuffled with injuries) and the rest of the offense.

 

No preseason this year.

 

The throws he made today will translate.  Reich just has to keep being aggressive with the vertical passing game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And why was it close?  Oh that’s right the “elite” defense everyone has been praising spotted the Bengals a 21-0 nothing lead and Rivers came out and did what a lot of people were saying he couldn’t do anymore period.  If people want to be highly critical of Rivers last week, myself included, you have to give him credit when he plays a game many didn’t think he still could regardless of who it’s against.

 

Again it was done vs the Bengals. It's not the Ravens defense. Not saying he didn't play well, but we gotta call it for what it. An inexperienced, young team still learning to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

I missed the game. Could you please give me a rundown on his good plays? Thanks in advance.

Colts defense give up TD, TD, TD, FG in the first 4 drives to start the game.

Conservative O play calling, and a Doyle fumble early killed our first 3 drives.

Rivers then goes on a tear with back to back to back TD drives in the 2Q

Then a TD and FG in the 2H. 

The D was atrocious most of the first 1H, but did better end of 1H and the beginning of the 2H. 

Cinci missed a late FG, but had the ball driving late down 4, and Blackmon got an INT to seal it.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He did but I clearly said for a rookie in his first action which what Eason would have been today.  Again, Luck was thought to be great so that backs up my point.

I personally don’t think Luck accomplished enough to be considered great.  He was possibly headed for greatness but he cut all that short.  He was very good in my opinion but did not achieve the accolades MVP, records or championships, etc. that help establish legacy and greatness.  I offer my opinion as an aside and not to diminish the point you were making. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

 

He's played 6 games as a Colt.

 

Give him some time to build some rapport with the WRs (who are constantly being re-shuffled with injuries) and the rest of the offense.

 

No preseason this year.

 

The throws he made today will translate.  Reich just has to keep being aggressive with the vertical passing game.

It seemed like Rivers got more comfortable the more throws he made.  The man was definitely feeling it today.  Was throwing pretty well over the top and underneath.  We will need to do that more as the schedule gets harder after the break.

 

Let Rivers flow!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

Again it was done vs the Bengals. It's not the Ravens defense. Not saying he didn't play well, but we gotta call it for what it. An inexperienced, young team still learning to win.

Let’s not act like Rivers was why it was close.  If I told people before the day started the Colts offense would score 31 points today most people would have thought they blew out the Bengals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I personally don’t think Luck accomplished enough to be considered great.  He was possibly headed for greatness but he cut all that short.  He was very good in my opinion but did not achieve the accolades MVP, records or championships, etc. that help establish legacy and greatness.  I offer my opinion as an aside and not to diminish the point you were making. 

Clearly Luck didn’t play long enough to be considered an all time great that wasn’t my point sorry for not being more clear.  My point was when he was healthy Luck was sought of as a great QB who could have moved into that all time great category but injuries derailed that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival
 

He had a good game today. 
 

But that does not change who he is.

 

He’s still Rivers, and that still comes with all of the same pros and cons it always has. We got (mostly) the pros today. We’re still going to suffer the cons more often than not. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s not act like Rivers was why it was close.  If I told people before the day started the Colts offense would score 31 points today most people would have thought they blew out the Bengals.

 

I didn't say it was Rivers fault. All I'm saying is this game should not have gone down like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You claimed they were tanking a couple of hours ago

they  looked like they were .   well see like i said i still dont think they are a playoff team yet.   They had a easy schedule , and were down 3 touchdowns to a 1-4 team .   I rather have them tank i said also i rather get a sure lock pro bowl franchise QB trevor lawrence then be stuck in a cycle of going between 7-9 and 9-7 every year .    your not looking at the big picture if the colts did not tank in 2011 it would be bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to Covid, I can’t see games this year.   I get selected hilites and live look-ins on the NFL Network and the Red Zone channel. 
 

That said...   as a general rule for this team,  we do NOT want to be throwing more than 40 times.   If we are, it’s because we have to, not because we want to. 
 

The more we throw, the more desperate we are.   It didn’t work against J’Ville, but it did today vs Cincy.  Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. 
 

4-2 at the break.   Hopefully we get healthier at the bye week.   Next up: A much improved Detroit team.   Then, the hard part of the schedule...   hold on tight,   it’s going to be a bumpy ride! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

I didn't say it was Rivers fault. All I'm saying is this game should not have gone down like this.

But saying it in the Rivers thread seems to be hinting it was because of Rivers.  I feel that take belongs more in the defense thread.  The offense isn’t why this game was close. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Anyone know the run/pass ratio for the game?  It sure seemed like we passed a lot today - which I don’t mind if it was working.

15 run / 44 pass

5 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

well yeah but the titans are 5-0, Tannehill is playing like a top 5 QB and Derrick Henry is the best HB in the game

Titans have squeaked out at least 4 of the wins.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Due to Covid, I can’t see games this year.   I get selected hilites and live look-ins on the NFL Network and the Red Zone channel. 
 

That said...   as a general rule for this team,  we do NOT want to be throwing more than 40 times.   If we are, it’s because we have to, not because we want to. 
 

The more we throw, the more desperate we are.   It didn’t work against J’Ville, but it did today vs Cincy.  Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. 
 

4-2 at the break.   Hopefully we get healthier at the bye week.   Next up: A much improved Detroit team.   Then, the hard part of the schedule...   hold on tight,   it’s going to be a bumpy ride! 

That’s not the plan but they had to today because the defense and ground game weren’t working.  Sill credit to Rivers doing what many said he still couldn’t.  I agree if this becomes the long term pattern the Colts are in trouble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Due to Covid, I can’t see games this year.   I get selected hilites and live look-ins on the NFL Network and the Red Zone channel. 
 

That said...   as a general rule for this team,  we do NOT want to be throwing more than 40 times.   If we are, it’s because we have to, not because we want to. 
 

The more we throw, the more desperate we are.   It didn’t work against J’Ville, but it did today vs Cincy.  Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. 
 

4-2 at the break.   Hopefully we get healthier at the bye week.   Next up: A much improved Detroit team.   Then, the hard part of the schedule...   hold on tight,   it’s going to be a bumpy ride! 

The throw number are a bit skewed because several were screen/swing passes that replaced runs

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival
 

He had a good game today. 
 

But that does not change who he is.

 

He’s still Rivers, and that still comes with all of the same pros and cons it always has. We got (mostly) the pros today. We’re still going to suffer the cons more often than not. 

Facts...especially if we need him to drop back to pass 40+ times on a regular basis.  That usually means the Colts are playing from behind.  Colts have got to find that proper run/pass play calling balance and get their running game on track to help Rivers out.  They can’t put that much game pressure on his arm on a regular basis.  Happy that Rivers was able to succeed today against the Bengals.  Would have been embarrassing to lose that game and a tough loss to stomach given the tough stretch of opponents coming up on the schedule. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Anyone know the run/pass ratio for the game?  It sure seemed like we passed a lot today - which I don’t mind if it was working.

They did, they had too.  Outside of one series where they ran Taylor outside the ground game was nonexistent today.  The only things that played well today was the passing game and special teams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Meh, it was better. Taylor averaged over 5 yards a carry today

It's only because of one 21 yard run though. And only happened when we abandoned the run and Cinci started playing the pass more than the run. Early on we couldn't run at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The Colts will have an easier time prying Watson out of Houston than the top pick from the Jags.  
    • Way too early to know.      I mean I could say I want a free agent but we don’t know whose going to be available or what the price tag would be.  With the draft they haven’t had to the combine or whatever the Combine will be this year to really give you an idea of where guys will be drafted.     just too many variables.     what I do know is that Ballard will address it.  So for now that’s good enough for me.
    • I don’t get the rage from the OP.  I don’t think anyone thinks if the Colts bring Jacoby back he’s going to be the long term answer at QB.  At most he’d be a bridge starter to a rookie but even that is unlikely.  If he’s brought back it would be as the back up QB.  It’s also not going to be close to the money he made before.  I also got the impression from Ballard’s presser it seemed like while he likes Jacoby he seemed to be saying it’s unlikely he would be back.   So I guess I don’t think there is much to worry about on this front.  
    • Just to give you an idea of how draft trades work when the Redskins moved up nine spots to pick 26 at the end of the first round it cost them two second rounders.  A first and second aren’t going to get you up high enough to take a QB unless someone majorly slips and if that happens you have to wonder why they are falling that far.  Yes Rodgers slipped but so Johnny Football and Brady Quinn and guys who have careers that turn out like that are far more common for QBs who slip that far in the first round than a guy like Rodgers.  They slip because teams don’t think he’s the guy.     Now with that said I do think that’s what Ballard was talking about when he said it takes a little luck.  He knows for them to get a QB early in the draft someone he really likes is going to have to slip some.  So I wouldn’t rule out him going up to get someone if they slip bit picking at 21 your talking mid first round at the earliest for a first and second.  They aren’t going to jump into the top ten for that.     the closet I can find to that kind of move is the Jets going up 12 picks from 17 to 5 to get Sanchez and it cost them a first, a second, and three players.  Point being it didn’t come cheap and 1st and 2nd alone isn’t going to get you where you want to be to get a stud QB when your picking 21 in all likely hood.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...