Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes he had bad pick but there's no Colts win without Phil today.    Can we go 1 week without a bench Rivers thread?

This aged well.......

Rivers was down 21-0, came back like Luck would. Rivers 3 TD's and 371 Yards, Colts win baby! Colts now 4-2. The difference between being 3-3 and 4-2 is huge. Rivers haters can go kick rocks this week

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Its not about eating crow. I honeslty felt Rivers would do fine. The bigger que5ation is this. Is he the qb that can win a Superbowl in this year or next given the talent that Ballard has assembled? 

So if he doesn't win it all you were right, figures lmao Homer Simpson GIF- Luck never won it all, I guess he sucks too lmao 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So if he doesn't win it all you were right, figures lmao Homer Simpson GIF- Luck never won it all, I guess he sucks too lmao 

You dont sign a 39 year old qb if r rebuilding. By Ballard and Reich going after Rivers, they must have thought this team was a Superbowl favourite. If they didnt, then they just delayed the inevitable need to contine to build for the future.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Huh? So if Luck was qb of this current Colts team do u think we would b Superbowl favourites?

No. Chiefs would be actually but we would be in the top 5 teams. With Rivers we are a top 10 team so enjoy the season is all I say. Never know Rivers may surprise everyone and make a SB run. There are many in here that said he would suck and the signing was bad, 9-4, 68% completions, 20 TD's/9 INT's says otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You dont sign a 39 year old qb if r rebuilding. By Ballard and Reich going after Rivers, they must have thought this team was a Superbowl favourite. If they didnt, then they just delayed the inevitable need to contine to build for the future.

We signed a 38 year old QB because he was the best option. Many in here wanted Jordan Love, I don't even want to think what our record would be with him. Maybe 5-8 if we are lucky?? JB would be 6-7/maybe 7-6.

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Colts were simply trying to get back into the playoff discussion.   Irsay didn’t want another season out of the playoffs.  

If you haven’t noticed, with Ballard’s ability in the draft, free agency and trades, we’re also getting younger and more talented.  We are not delaying our rebuild.   We’re doing both at the same time.   It’s not one or the other.   I’m sorry this isn’t more apparent to you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts were simply trying to get back into the playoff discussion.   Irsay didn’t want another season out of the playoffs.  

If you haven’t noticed, with Ballard’s ability in the draft, free agency and trades, we’re also getting younger and more talented.  We are not delaying our rebuild.   We’re doing both at the same time.   It’s not one or the other.   I’m sorry this isn’t more apparent to you. 

We may have to go through  bills and chiefs to win a super bowl  and bills offense  is looking  scary right now even more than the chiefs

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great post, you nailed it. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

Philip isn't any more perfect than any other great player in this league's history. He's made bad plays at times, just like all the others. But from someone who has watched every snap of his NFL career, there is one play that epitomizes his entire career with the Chargers. And interestingly, it's from his first ever playoff game in his first year as a starter in 2006.

He lofts as perfect a deep bomb as can be thrown, dropping the ball perfectly in stride in the end zone right in the gut of his receiver, Vincent Jackson, who pulled it in as if Philip had been standing right there handing it to him. A thing of beauty. Touchdown.

Well... not so fast. One not so tiny problem. VJ's first foot down is a good yard from the back of the end zone. No problem, right? Plenty of room to drag his second foot for the score, right? Uh, not the Spanos run Chargers. Not Philip's teammates. Not when it's a moment when everything matters. Nope, instead of executing the simplest of NFL Wide Receiver 101 fundamentals, VJ continues a full stride second step, right out the back of the end zone. Incomplete. Chargers lose by three. The simpletons stop their analysis at the final stat line - Rivers, 0 TDs. Rivers sucks.

If I had known better at the time, I'd have realized then that I was seeing all the elements of Philip's every big moment with that poisoned outfit for as long as he'd be there - no matter how well he played, one or more of his teammates, coaches, management, etc. would torpedo his efforts. And the simpletons would see only the final stat line, and the only 1 or 2 bad plays by Philip out of an otherwise perfectly played game, and print Rivers sucks/chokes/etc.

By the way, if you can find it, watch that play I described, and tell me how wrong I am after watching it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Philip isn't any more perfect than any other great player in this league's history. He's made bad plays at times, just like all the others. But from someone who has watched every snap of his NFL career, there is one play that epitomizes his entire career with the Chargers. And interestingly, it's from his first ever playoff game in his first year as a starter in 2006.

He lofts as perfect a deep bomb as can be thrown, dropping the ball perfectly in stride in the end zone right in the gut of his receiver, Vincent Jackson, who pulled it in as if Philip had been standing right there handing it to him. A thing of beauty. Touchdown.

Well... not so fast. One not so tiny problem. VJ's first foot down is a good yard from the back of the end zone. No problem, right? Plenty of room to drag his second foot for the score, right? Uh, not the Spanos run Chargers. Not Philip's teammates. Not when it's a moment when everything matters. Nope, instead of executing the simplest of NFL Wide Receiver 101 fundamentals, VJ continues a full stride second step, right out the back of the end zone. Incomplete. Chargers lose by three. The simpletons stop their analysis at the final stat line - Rivers, 0 TDs. Rivers sucks.

If I had known better at the time, I'd have realized then that I was seeing all the elements of Philip's every big moment with that poisoned outfit for as long as he'd be there - no matter how well he played, one or more of his teammates, coaches, management, etc. would torpedo his efforts. And the simpletons would see only the final stat line, and the only 1 or 2 bad plays by Philip out of an otherwise perfectly played game, and print Rivers sucks/chokes/etc.

By the way, if you can find it, watch that play I described, and tell me how wrong I am after watching it.

Marty ball was Shocked What Is It GIF

1 hour ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Lol I am glad that happened. Because the Colts got to host New England after that :)

12 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

That was last year and Jacoby is on the bench. Put the game in Rivers hands....throwing 36-50 times...recipe for disaster. And Rivers is a interception/turnover machine (if we talking about the past). Why do you think the Chargers let him walk...

Rivers has the same career INT % as Luck and better than Peyton Manning.

I can only assume you used to whine about both of them being interception machines for years.

Or are you just completely full of crap?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, CoachKjr said:

Do you agree that the Bolts (who owned the Colts back then) would of beat the Colts in S.D. the following week?

That would've been a tough game I have to admit. The Chargers had our number back then. Being at home for the AFC Title Game helped. Colts were 10-0 at home that year counting the playoffs.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, CoachKjr said:

Do you agree that the Bolts (who owned the Colts back then) would of beat the Colts in S.D. the following week?

I would not say the Chargers "owned" them. The games were close. And the Colts really should have beat them all of those games. The Chargers were very lucky.

But I don't know what would have happened. Would have been interesting. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would've been a tough game I have to admit. The Chargers had our number back then. Being at home for the AFC Title Game helped. Colts were 10-0 at home that year counting the playoffs.

I think the Chargers would've won an AFCCG played in San Diego back in 2006. As for the Superbowl? Who knows - although they were a better team than the Bears that year, (as were the Colts) the Chargers had a very hard time winning games played in Miami. I've personally attended 3 Chargers vs Dolphins games played there, but have watched them lose all 3 to include the disgusting 37-0 shutout in 2014.

Until last season, the Bolts had not won a game played in Miami since that classic overtime playoff game in 1981, a time span of 38 years between victories in that city - even Superbowl XXIX which the Chargers lost, was played in Miami.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I think the Chargers would've won an AFCCG played in San Diego back in 2006. As for the Superbowl? Who knows - although they were a better team than the Bears that year, (as were the Colts) the Chargers had a very hard time winning games played in Miami. I've personally attended 3 Chargers vs Dolphins games played there, but have watched them lose all 3 to include the disgusting 37-0 shutout in 2014.

Until last season, the Bolts had not won a game played in Miami since that classic overtime playoff game in 1981, a time span of 38 years between victories in that city - even Superbowl XXIX which the Chargers lost, was played in Miami.

Had the Chargers made the SB in 2006 they would've beat the Bears. The AFC had 4 teams that season that were better than the Bears IMO. Colts, Pats, Ravens, and Chargers were all better, Bears were #5 overall, JMO. I remember that Chargers/Dolphins game, the Winslow game. That was a classic.

• Like 1

Unless you followed the Spanos Chargers for at least a decent amount of time like I have, you just don't understand. You simply don't. I'm honestly not making some attention seeking statement when I say that that outfit is poisoned. It is. I'm not kidding.

Even if that 2006 team had completed any one of at least a dozen plays in that game that they stupidly barfed on and beaten the Pats, they would have stupidly barfed on enough plays in one of the remaining games to keep from winning a Lombardi.

Absolutely, positively no doubt about it. It has NOTHING to do with talent or ability with that outfit. NOTHING. They're led by dufuses. And their results are because of it. End of story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Unless you followed the Spanos Chargers for at least a decent amount of time like I have, you just don't understand. You simply don't. I'm honestly not making some attention seeking statement when I say that that outfit is poisoned. It is. I'm not kidding.

Even if that 2006 team had completed any one of at least a dozen plays in that game that they stupidly barfed on and beaten the Pats, they would have stupidly barfed on enough plays in one of the remaining games to keep from winning a Lombardi.

Absolutely, positively no doubt about it. It has NOTHING to do with talent or ability with that outfit. NOTHING. They're led by dufuses. And their results are because of it. End of story.

2006 and 2009 were very good teams, outside of that the Chargers had a few ok teams. What is funny is Peyton struggled against only 3 teams, Pats early in his career, Steelers, and the Chargers. Against everyone else Peyton usually dominated. He dominated Ray Lewis and the Ravens even.

On 12/20/2020 at 2:32 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Where has @Grigson's Gaffes been, he said Rivers had a noodle arm and as a team we wouldn't be good with him lmao 

I said the following things about Philip Rivers... 1) That his best days were behind him. 2) The Colts would be a 9-10 win team. 3) That he wasn’t the top 10 QB people on here were acting like he was. 4) You can’t win a Super Bowl with this iteration of Rivers.

None of those statements have been proven false. I also said that Rodrigo and DeForest Buckner would be the most important upgrades to this team in the offseason. This team isn’t a 10 win team if they still had the worst FG unit in the league and were absent a game changing defensive franchise player. The fan boys who see the world through blue tinted glasses are the ones acting like I was Judas for believing Rivers was the savior. Weird.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I said the following things about Philip Rivers... 1) That his best days were behind him. 2) The Colts would be a 9-10 win team. 3) That he wasn’t the top 10 QB people on here were acting like he was. 4) You can’t win a Super Bowl with this iteration of Rivers.

None of those statements have been proven false. I also said that Rodrigo and DeForest Buckner would be the most important upgrades to this team in the offseason. This team isn’t a 10 win team if they still had the worst FG unit in the league and were absent a game changing defensive franchise player. The fan boys who see the world through blue tinted glasses are the ones acting like I was Judas for believing Rivers was the savior. Weird.

It is not really about being a fan boy or being a homer, Rivers has simply played good football the last 3 weeks. His year overall has been classified as good. He got off to a rough start but has looked solid lately and even throwing the deep ball well. We are 10-4 with him at QB and he has 22 TD's to only 9 INT's, he also is 10th in yards with 3,735 Yards. My concern with Rivers coming into the season was turnovers and he hasn't been throwing INT's at all. Only 9 is great through 14 games or very good at worse would you agree?

On 12/19/2020 at 10:29 PM, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I hear you. Nate Kaeding's missed FGs across playoff games, Marlon McRee's fumbled INT, I could go on...

I have always felt that coaching shines the brightest come playoff time. Frank Reich will earn his stripes in the playoffs WHEN we get there (notice I said WHEN, not IF :)). He will play a big part for Rivers too.

34 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

1) nobody disagrees, so great job Nostradamus.

2 & 3) likey being proven false over the final two weeks

4) TBD

You also said by week 7/8 that everyone else would agree with you that signing Rivers was a mistake.

Face it, you were flat out wrong about Rivers.  Your attempts now to make it seem like you were right all along are downright delusional, and none of us are buying it.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is not really about being a fan boy or being a homer, Rivers has simply played good football the last 3 weeks. His year overall has been classified as good. He got off to a rough start but has looked solid lately and even throwing the deep ball well. We are 10-4 with him at QB and he has 22 TD's to only 9 INT's, he also is 10th in yards with 3,735 Yards. My concern with Rivers coming into the season was turnovers and he hasn't been throwing INT's at all. Only 9 is great through 14 games or very good at worse would you agree?

In regards to the amount of INT’s, I would have expected around 16 before the season started so that is much better than what I would have thought. He has played well the last few weeks, where I get concerned from here is playing outdoors in the playoffs. I do think the Colts are contenders to make the AFC title game, and that Rivers probably will be their starter in Week 1 of next year.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

1) nobody disagrees, so great job Nostradamus.

2 & 3) likey being proven false over the final two weeks

4) TBD

You also said by week 7/8 that everyone else would agree with you that signing Rivers was a mistake.

Face it, you were flat out wrong about Rivers.  Your attempts now to make it seem like you were right all along are downright delusional, and none of us are buying it.

Go check the receipts buddy, there were plenty of people disagreeing on #1. I stated how I felt on him, he’s not a Top 10 QB. His best days are behind him. You can’t win a Super Bowl with him at this point in his career. Let me know when I’m wrong pal.

1 minute ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

In regards to the amount of INT’s, I would have expected around 16 before the season started so that is much better than what I would have thought. He has played well the last few weeks, where I get concerned from here is playing outdoors in the playoffs. I do think the Colts are contenders to make the AFC title game, and that Rivers probably will be their starter in Week 1 of next year.

Assuming we get in, the playoffs are going to be real interesting because all the teams are pretty even outside of KC.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Assuming we get in, the playoffs are going to be real interesting because all the teams are pretty even outside of KC.

My thoughts exactly, I don’t think the Colts can beat the Chiefs on the road, but other than that the other 6 teams are going to all have roughly the same style and ability. Would love for Indy to get another shot at Baltimore, Buffalo might be the second best team right now. I’ve thought Pittsburgh was a paper tiger all year.

Just now, Grigson's Gaffes said:

My thoughts exactly, I don’t think the Colts can beat the Chiefs on the road, but other than that the other 6 teams are going to all have roughly the same style and ability. Would love for Indy to get another shot at Baltimore, Buffalo might be the second best team right now. I’ve thought Pittsburgh was a paper tiger all year.

Yeah I never believed in Pitt either being a powerhouse, we should really beat them Sunday as they are struggling but it is Pitt and they still are good. Beating KC will be tough if we play them in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Go check the receipts buddy, there were plenty of people disagreeing on #1. I stated how I felt on him, he’s not a Top 10 QB. His best days are behind him. You can’t win a Super Bowl with him at this point in his career. Let me know when I’m wrong pal.

I agreed with this statement when we were looking at bringing him in.  But since there is only 1 QB that wins a SB each year I could say that about most QBs starting today and have pretty good odds that I would be correct.  I just wasn't sure he had enough in the tank to get through a season effectively.  I also wasn't sure it was worth the money to bring him in.

At this point in the season I would have to say I am pleased and impressed with his play and I don't think we would have done any better with any other options out there.  I would say we are a long to get to and win the SB, but we are in a much better position than I thought we would be and I don't think I can ask much more than that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I never believed in Pitt either being a powerhouse, we should really beat them Sunday as they are struggling but it is Pitt and they still are good. Beating KC will be tough if we play them in the playoffs.

I think KC is going to be tough for anyone to knock off...honestly, the AFC playoffs kind of look like murderers row right now. I expect the AFC team to be a favorite in the Super Bowl and if it is indeed Kansas City, I expect it to be a TD+ over the NFC. I’m not sure who wins the NFC to be honest. From a gambling standpoint I think the Rams offer the most value.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gspdx said:

I agreed with this statement when we were looking at bringing him in.  But since there is only 1 QB that wins a SB each year I could say that about most QBs starting today and have pretty good odds that I would be correct.  I just wasn't sure he had enough in the tank to get through a season effectively.  I also wasn't sure it was worth the money to bring him in.

At this point in the season I would have to say I am pleased and impressed with his play and I don't think we would have done any better with any other options out there.  I would say we are a long to get to and win the SB, but we are in a much better position than I thought we would be and I don't think I can ask much more than that.

I agree. Looking at it now, I’m not sure who would have been a much better option. I think they run it back with Rivers, although if Stafford became available that’d be my preferred choice. Bringing Darnold in as a backup to learn for a year would be an option I would be okay with, same for Wentz, although apparently he wants to start. If the Colts were in the NFC I think they’d have a huge chance to make the Super Bowl.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I agree. Looking at it now, I’m not sure who would have been a much better option. I think they run it back with Rivers, although if Stafford became available that’d be my preferred choice. Bringing Darnold in as a backup to learn for a year would be an option I would be okay with, same for Wentz, although apparently he wants to start. If the Colts were in the NFC I think they’d have a huge chance to make the Super Bowl.

I would be onboard with taking a look at Stafford.  Has some good years left based on his age. I think he could use a change.

And if you look at the high rate the QBs coming out of college fail to meet expectations someone like that might be the best long term answer (meaning the next 5 years).

Don't know enough about Darnold to be confident in his abilities to rebound, but I wouldn't want to just say no at this point. 

I am not getting rid of Rivers for Stafford. Only way that makes sense is if rivers retires. Why is everyone so bent on getting rid of rivers for either other older QB or broken QB. Your not paying Wentz 30 million to backup rivers who your paying 25 million.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Its not about eating crow. I honeslty felt Rivers would do fine. The bigger que5ation is this. Is he the qb that can win a Superbowl in this year or next given the talent that Ballard has assembled? 

We don’t know.  Is he giving them a better chance than Jacoby or a rookie Eason would have?  Yes.  That’s why he was brought here.

1 hour ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I think KC is going to be tough for anyone to knock off...honestly, the AFC playoffs kind of look like murderers row right now. I expect the AFC team to be a favorite in the Super Bowl and if it is indeed Kansas City, I expect it to be a TD+ over the NFC. I’m not sure who wins the NFC to be honest. From a gambling standpoint I think the Rams offer the most value.

I like GB in the NFC, they were always the easy pick in the past because of Rodgers but they look very good right now. They can hang with KC in a shootout.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

To some degree. My biggest concern is the D line. It is built on free agency and a trade. They are aging and I am not comfortable at all in the players they have drafted to take their place.