Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow

danlhart87

24 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

How do you know he didn't elevate those Chargers teams?

Over a decade with bad OLs, bad defense, no running game, bad coaches, and a slew of injuries...and he still made them competitive year in and year out.

Compare that to a Brady, who every single year had a top 10 OL, top 10 running game, top 10 defense, and arguably the GOAT coach.

Also, what about guys like Brees and Rodgers, who most consider all time greats?  35+ years between them and only 2 championships.

He’s just a dude that doesn’t understand Rings are team accomplishments.   Just like you said, Brees and Rodgers have been the top QBs of this past 14 years and only have 1 super bowl appearance to show.  Doesn’t matter a QB level of play, when the team and franchise sucks, you’re not going to win it all

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I feel so bad for Herbert playing for Chargers. He will be another fantastic QB. Who knows if he will ever lead them to a SB?

I just don’t see it.  I just think the Spanos family sucks as owners.  They’ve got a team built for a super bowl right now and are struggling to win 6 games.  Chargers could have a defensive line that included Buckner, Donald, and Mack and they’d still find a way to lose. 

2 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

I just don’t see it.  I just think the Spanos family sucks as owners.  They’ve got a team built for a super bowl right now and are struggling to win 6 games.  Chargers could have a defensive line that included Buckner, Donald, and Mack and they’d still find a way to lose. 

Mack is a LB but I get your point 

Herbert is a fantastic QB 

He is having an unbelievable rookie year 

Philip Rivers has been solid the past five or six games, but none of that matters if the Colts don't make the playoffs. Philip Rivers is famous for choking in the playoffs, so having him take the Colts not only to the playoffs, but to the Super Bowl would finally take the monkey off his back. I mean, if he's able to get us there and actually win it.

• Haha 1

Colts fans need to cool it on expectations. We have the worse fanbase thinking it is SB or bust whenever we have just a good team, not a great team. Then we lose in the playoffs and some trash the team. It's unrealistic to think every time we are good that we are going to win the SB. I get it, that is the goal and I hate losing in the playoffs as well. An 11-5 season and a playoff win for example is still a very successful season to build on if that is how it plays out. I never have got this SB or bust mentality when it isn't realistic to think like that unless you have a loaded team like the Chiefs or we had from 2003-2006. A SB could happen but the AFC is loaded, so you have about 7 other fanbases thinking the same thing lmao . 

Can we just enjoy the season and the ride, it has been fun so far. Especially compared to last season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts fans need to cool it on expectations. We have the worse fanbase thinking it is SB or bust whenever we have just a good team, not a great team. Then we lose in the playoffs and some trash the team. It's unrealistic to think every time we are good that we are going to win the SB. I get it, that is the goal and I hate losing in the playoffs as well. An 11-5 season and a playoff win for example is still a very successful season to build on if that is how it plays out. I never have got this SB or bust mentality when it isn't realistic to think like that unless you have a loaded team like the Chiefs or we had from 2003-2006. A SB could happen but the AFC is loaded, so you have about 7 other fanbases thinking the same thing lmao . 

Can we just enjoy the season and the ride, it has been fun so far. Especially compared to last season.

It almost is SB or bust for us though. If Rivers retires after this year, we are either forced to start Eason, draft another QB, or go through the process of signing a short-term veteran stopgap-option all over again. We have a great team and a great GM, but the QB is on borrowed time, and there's nothing guaranteed when he leaves. This isn't like having Manning when he was younger or Luck when we thought he'd be here 15 years.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It almost is SB or bust for us though. If Rivers retires after this year, we are either forced to start Eason, draft another QB, or go through the process of signing a short-term veteran stopgap-option all over again. We have a great team and a great GM, but the QB is on borrowed time, and there's nothing guaranteed when he leaves. This isn't like having Manning when he was younger or Luck when we thought he'd be here 15 years.

Fair enough but do you think we can beat the Chiefs? I guess we could and I am optimistic that we can win a playoff game or 2. Winning the SB is a long shot for every team except the Chiefs IMO.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough but do you think we can beat the Chiefs? I guess we could and I am optimistic that we can win a playoff game or 2. Winning the SB is a long shot for every team except the Chiefs IMO.

I think we are underdogs Vs the Chiefs, but we match up better Vs them then any other AFC team IMO. The only other AFC team I'd even give a chance to beat them is the Titans.  All about matchups. We would have to have a strong run game and keep Mahomes off the field. Rivers could be a great game manager Vs them, and probably 3 out of 10 times we win. Not great, but possible in a 1 game matchup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think we are underdogs Vs the Chiefs, but we match up better Vs them then any other AFC team IMO. The only other AFC team I'd even give a chance to beat them is the Titans.  All about matchups. We would have to have a strong run game and keep Mahomes off the field. Rivers could be a great manager Vs them, and probably 3 out of 10 times we win. Not great, but possible in a 1 game matchup.

That is what I would give us Vs the Chiefs, a 30% chance which is a chance but not good odds. We did beat them with JB last year by playing smart and ground control but our D was awesome too. It would take a near perfect game to beat them or them bringing like a B-/C+ game and making mistakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is what I would give us Vs the Chiefs, a 30% chance which is a chance but not good odds. We did beat them with JB last year by playing smart and ground control but our D was awesome too. It would take a near perfect game to beat them or them bringing like a B-/C+ game and making mistakes.

The area that would concern me is our lack of pass-rush. Mahomes needs maybe 3 seconds a play to find an open man, and he can deliver some circus throws to open receivers if need be. We would probably need to hold them to 30 points or below to have a chance of winning. If we can't get them to punt the ball at least 3 times, we'll lose. An underrated feature on the Chiefs is their defense. It's actually not too bad, especially the pass defense. They can get pressure, and they have Chris Jones on the defensive line who is like a Mack truck. He gave Quenton Nelson some trouble before. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The area that would concern me is our lack of pass-rush. Mahomes needs maybe 3 seconds a play to find an open man, and he can deliver some circus throws to open receivers if need be. We would probably need to hold them to 30 points or below to have a chance of winning. If we can't get them to punt the ball at least 3 times, we'll lose. An underrated feature on the Chiefs is their defense. It's actually not too bad, especially the pass defense. They can get pressure, and they have Chris Jones on the defensive line who is like a Mack truck. He gave Quenton Nelson some trouble before. 

In 2018 I kept telling people that too, that their D was underrated because they had a great pass rush. What happened, they got to Luck a lot. I think if we hold them to 27 we can win, anything above that will be bad. Rivers if on can give us 28 with a good run game against them.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 8:11 AM, coming on strong said:

we need to beat pitt I am worried the dolphins look amazing right now . I can see them beating both pats and raiders and i hope the bills do not sit starters against them .  There is a chance the bills can be locked into a seed no matter what and sit starters.  i am hoping the bills lose a game before the dolphins game so they have to play starters .   I also think the steelers are not as good as the colts , there defense has like 7 starters out and is playing practice squad players at linebacker .  With ben hurt and not playing that good and no run game , i think the colts beat them and go 12-4 being the 3rd seed after the titans lose to packers.

The Steelers  could have been beaten by  us several  years, but every time we face them we are either not at 100 percent  or suddenly play our worst game of the season. 

12 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

If they are struggling to win 6 games clearly they don’t have a team built for a super bowl right now. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with this.  Especially after Luck suddenly retires. We need to just get to the playoffs  then see what happens. This team made a lot of improvements this year on both sides of the ball. No reason to think Ballard won’t makd even bigger ones next year and bring Rivers back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Absolutely. There's not a doubt in my mind.

If the oline can keep Rivers upright and keep his jersey clean, there isn't a team we can't beat.

Rivers took the Chargers into arrowhead late 2018 and won so he knows how to do it. Down by 14 in the 4th quarter Rivers lead an incredible come back.

I am posting the highlights below. If you watch the video pay attention to the clock and down and distance. The throw to Benjamin was incredible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Rivers took the Chargers into arrowhead late 2018 and won so he knows how to do it. Down by 14 in the 4th quarter Rivers lead an incredible come back.

I am posting the highlights below. If you watch the video pay attention to the clock and down and distance. The throw to Benjamin was incredible.

This was a great game (although those commentators were horribly biased) and WR Mike Williams personally accounted for 20 points with 2 receiving touchdowns, a rushing one and he caught the game winning 2-point conversion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

agree.  After the Rivers signing I saw more 8-8/9-7/10-6 predictions for records from fans.  Now here we are, 4 losses, and let’s be real if it wasn’t for COVID we likely win Jags and Titans games.  If the team makes playoffs and wins one, it’s an improvement.  The AFC is loaded this year.  Any wild card team has the opportunity to win it all.  So that means in order to make super bowl Colts would have to play lights out/no mistake football for 4 straight games.  This team is capable of winning it all, but they’re going to have a tough road ahead.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheLegend87 said:

Philip Rivers has been solid the past five or six games, but none of that matters if the Colts don't make the playoffs. Philip Rivers is famous for choking in the playoffs, so having him take the Colts not only to the playoffs, but to the Super Bowl would finally take the monkey off his back. I mean, if he's able to get us there and actually win it.

lol, famous for choking?   The Chargers are who’s famous for Choking.  

06 - Mcree fumbled a game ending INT by trying to run it back for yards.  Kaeding missed a FG at the end to tie it(classic Kaeding)

07 - He played on a torn MCL on the road against an undefeated Patriots.  Stats weren’t good, but like I said, torn MCL against a 16-0 team. 

08 - Threw 3 TD, but defense couldn’t stop Steelers.  

09 - this was the one time he played bad.  Had a costly INT that lead to a TD, but still, Kaeding missed 3 FG and they lost the game

by 3

13 - McCoy decided that ground and pound with a mediocre RB was the solution to beating an extremely dominant Broncos offense.  Rivers brought them within one score, he just needed his defense to step up on a 3rd and 18.......spoiler, they didn’t. 

18 - Threw 3 TD, but ole Bill shredded the Chargers D for 40 points

what a “choker”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Guess I'll eat some crow...if we run the ball more and stop depending on a non athletic/aging/injured/interception throwing quarterback, we would be ok. We throw more than we run. Rivers has been playing better but he has to remain consistent. Frank has to do a better job calling plays too.

GO COLTS

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Guess I'll eat some crow...if we run the ball more and stop depending on a non athletic/aging/injured/interception throwing quarterback, we would be ok. We throw more than we run. Rivers has been playing better but he has to remain consistent. Frank has to do a better job calling plays too.

GO COLTS

This offense has turned it over way less then last season. Jacobys fumbles were much more then rivers int. Russell Wilson has almost  twice as many int as rivers. I think we can put the rivers is a int machine behind us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This offense has turned it over way less then last season. Jacobys fumbles were much more then rivers int. Russell Wilson has almost  twice as many int as rivers. I think we can put the rivers is a int machine behind us.

That was last year and Jacoby is on the bench. Put the game in Rivers hands....throwing 36-50 times...recipe for disaster. And Rivers is a interception/turnover machine (if we talking about the past). Why do you think the Chargers let him walk...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Plus 2-3 of those 9ints weren't even Rivers fault.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Why do you think the Chargers let him walk...

Well if it was that simple.

1. It had already been rumored that Rivers wasn't happy about the move out of San Diego and going to LA. So there was already that element, that Rivers wanted to leave when his contract was up.

2. LAC was on position this draft to draft a QB of the future, which they did. So it made sense to make the move for all parties.

If you are saying the Chargers cut bait with Rivers because of lack of talent, then I think you are wrong, just as they were wrong if that was their assessment. 

Rivers clearly still has plenty of ability which he has shown this season and could play a few more years if he so chooses so. I for one, am hoping he at least plays 1 more season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

That was last year and Jacoby is on the bench. Put the game in Rivers hands....throwing 36-50 times...recipe for disaster. And Rivers is a interception/turnover machine (if we talking about the past). Why do you think the Chargers let him walk...

20 TD's to 9 INT's, think before you post because that post makes no sense. We are also 9-4 and Rivers is completing 68% of passes will throw for over 4000 yards this year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

20 TD's to 9 INT's, think before you post because that post makes no sense. We are also 9-4 and Rivers is completing 68% of passes will throw for over 4000 yards this year. 

Nah, I think this guy is onto something.  If we would’ve just ran the ball more during the Cincy and GB games, we probably would’ve won by 30 instead of barely mustering up a comeback. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

Nah, I think this guy is onto something.  If we would’ve just ran the ball more during the Cincy and GB games, we probably would’ve won by 30 instead of barely mustering up a comeback. 

These Rivers haters are still trying to find ways. At least I can say from the beginning I loved the signing and had us going 10-6 before season. I think we may go 12-4 now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

These Rivers haters are still trying to find ways. At least I can say from the beginning I loved the signing and had us going 10-6 before season. I think we may go 12-4 now.

They could win the super bowl this year, and the Rivers haters would still be talking about how they still think signing Rivers was bad idea. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If that happened they would be happy cause he would most likely retire then 

All joking aside, I think Rivers sticks around for another year even if they win a SB.  I think he’s starting to mesh well with the offense and probably knows they’d come back stronger next year pending the COVID stuff goes away.   Strange to think he’d retire before Brady & Brees. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

GO COLTS

“But...”

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheLegend87 said:

Examples of how Rivers choked in the playoffs?

I'll help you out:

2006 he didn't, DB choked and fumbled.

2007 he didn't, Gates, L.T., Merriman were all injured and Rivers played on torn ACL. 

2008 he didn't, punt bounced off Weddles head. 

2009 he didn't, kicker missed 3 FG's lost by a FG.

2018 he didn't, Gus Bradley got shredded.

'nuff said.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

They could win the super bowl this year, and the Rivers haters would still be talking about how they still think signing Rivers was bad idea. 

I have an * Cowboy friend that I showed him the past 8 games stats for Philip and he is saying Rivers is a Trent Dilfer game manager now.  300 yards per game 2 touchdowns per game manager I'll disagree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoachKjr said:

I have an * Cowboy friend that I showed him the past 8 games stats for Philip and he is saying Rivers is a Trent Dilfer game manager now.  300 yards per game 2 touchdowns per game manager I'll disagree.

People like that really have no idea what they’re talking about.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachKjr said:

Examples of how Rivers choked in the playoffs?

I'll help you out:

2006 he didn't, DB choked and fumbled.

2007 he didn't, Gates, L.T., Merriman were all injured and Rivers played on torn ACL. 

2008 he didn't, punt bounced off Weddles head. 

2009 he didn't, kicker missed 3 FG's lost by a FG.

2018 he didn't, Gus Bradley got shredded.

'nuff said.

You left out 13 - Defense couldn’t make a stop on 3rd and 18

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1