Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes he had bad pick but there's no Colts win without Phil today.    Can we go 1 week without a bench Rivers thread?

This aged well.......

Rivers was down 21-0, came back like Luck would. Rivers 3 TD's and 371 Yards, Colts win baby! Colts now 4-2. The difference between being 3-3 and 4-2 is huge. Rivers haters can go kick rocks this week

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Oh I'm here. The Colts beat a 1-3-1 team with a rookie QB. Are we really that good/excited or are we surprised we won? Let's act like it.

BTW we won by 4 points. (Didn't beat the spread) To a team with a rookie QB. That part!

They don't ask how, they just ask how many!  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

BTW we won by 4 points. (Didn't beat the spread) To a team with a rookie QB. That part!

Yeah and what would have happened without Rivers Sunday?  They would have gotten blown out by that team.  Some people were more than happy to say he lost the Browns game last week yet don’t want to say to he won the game this week.  They want to discredit the win.

I was harsh on Rivers last week yet have no problem giving him his due this week.  Why is that so hard?

No one is saying say he’s now the best QB in the NFL or anything close.  They are just saying give him credit for a good game without a back handed compliment.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Oh I'm here. The Colts beat a 1-3-1 team with a rookie QB. Are we really that good/excited or are we surprised we won? Let's act like it.

It’s the NFL, son.  Every team can be competitive on “any given Sunday.”

19 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

TY Hilton is cooked done gonzo .Either we make a significant Trade for an elite WR or we get Clowned the rest of the season bank on that .

What elite WR is out there that a team is willing to trade away?  It takes more than calling and saying hey we want X for a team to make a trade.  

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Riversrun said:

TY Hilton is cooked done gonzo .Either we make a significant Trade for an elite WR or we get Clowned the rest of the season bank on that .

Ty had a TD, and a solid rac erased by penalties as well as a questionable incompletion on a sideline toe drag.  One bad drop admittedly, but not done-zo.  Hes also gotten hidden yardage in pi calls and still draws coverage. He may be on the decline, not be a true #1, but I think he still contributes.  

He does have to solve the drops tho.  I think that's as much mental as physical....

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do agree he is one reason why we lost but not getting that chance on the last drive sticks with me. We hold them on 3rd and 9, who knows but we didn't. 

Yes, who knows.  And the D did not play perfect in that game and played poorly in the 1st half.  Again, I'm not saying Rivers was the sole reason, but again when a team loses by 9 and the QB gives the other team 9 points, it's near impossible to not say the Qb was a significant reason for the loss.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, who knows.  And the D did not play perfect in that game and played poorly in the 1st half.  Again, I'm not saying Rivers was the sole reason, but again when a team loses by 9 and the QB gives the other team 9 points, it's near impossible to not say the Qb was a significant reason for the loss.

That's fair enough. I just wish Rivers got that one last chance.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No way I can disagree. But was Brissett a significant reason for a loss when he never threw the ball down the field and committed zero turnovers...?

11 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

No way I can disagree. But was Brissett a significant reason for a loss when he never threw the ball down the field and committed zero turnovers...?

Sorry, I don't think I paint with that broad of a brush.  There were times when JB's fear of throwing the ball downfield was a significant reason the Colts lost.  But there were also other games where his caution helped the Colts win.

I'm not really sure what JB has to do with this thread.

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 3:42 PM, John Waylon said:

grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

He had a good game today. 

But that does not change who he is.

He’s still Rivers, and that still comes with all of the same pros and cons it always has. We got (mostly) the pros today. We’re still going to suffer the cons more often than not. 

16 TD and 4 INT Bengals game to now. You can hate the guy all you want but that's very positive results 

• Thanks 1

I didn’t like the signing. Even now, it frustrates me to see our defense have to deal with mobile QB’s while opponents defenses don’t have to worry about our QB running, ever. 

However, I will admit, Rivers has played great. He has been a MAJOR upgrade from Brissett and I’m glad we have him for this season.

That’s as much crow as I’m going to eat (I had crow for lunch). 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

16 TD and 4 INT Bengals game to now. You can hate the guy all you want but that's very positive results 

They have been.

But. 

Do you feel like the Colts are legitimate Super Bowl contenders right now?

Because sadly I just don’t. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

They have been.

But. 

I never did. Rivers is a good QB though. Is your hatred for him based on that?

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I never did. Rivers is a good QB though. Is your hatred for him based on that?

No. It’s based on the fact that this is a trend that has followed Rivers consistently throughout his career. He’s had plenty of good Chargers teams through the years but how many of them were ever considered serious threats to win a Super Bowl? 1. The 2006 season. And some people think that wouldn’t even count because of it being a Marty Schottenheimer team. 

He doesn’t elevate his teams to the next level the way a QB is supposed to. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

They have been.

But. 

If taylor can keep up his play we can beat anyone 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

No. It’s based on the fact that this is a trend that has followed Rivers consistently throughout his career. He’s had plenty of good Chargers teams through the years but how many of them were ever considered serious threats to win a Super Bowl? 1. The 2006 season. And some people think that wouldn’t even count because of it being a Marty Schottenheimer team. 

As a Rivers "critic", I think you overinflate the talent level of the Charger teams he led, especially on defense. You can reference guys like LT & Gates, but how many seasons did he enjoy with them healthy and in their prime? Not many, Drew Brees had that benefit much longer and still couldn't win anything of significance untilhe changed teams.

Philip didn't start for the Chargers until 2006, that year LT was the NFL MVP and the Chargers were the AFC's #1 seed but they fell to the Patriots by 3 points during the heart of "Spygate".

The following year, Gates gets hurt in the 1st playoff game against Tennessee, Rivers & LT both go down in the upset of the defending Champion Colts. They all limp into New England to face the undefeated Patriots. I'll go to my grave believing that if either LT or Gates were healthy for that game, they beat the Patriots and advance to the Superbowl. 

LT was hurt for the playoffs yet again the following year, as the Chargers once again eliminated the Colts, but fell in Pittsburgh to the eventual Superbowl Champion Steelers. The following year, LT is a mere shell of himself and is held to less than 30 yards in the Chargers' postseason defeat at the hands of the Jets. He is released shortly afterwards, and extends his career by signing with the Jets. 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

If taylor can keep up his play we can beat anyone 

That, and our defense - Philip Rivers is most effective when complimented by a credible running threat but if you can couple that with a dominant defense like ours, you have a puncher's chance against anyone you play.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I was dead wrong about rivers , he has been way better then i thought .  The first couple weeks were rough , but now the offense is flowing .

I was dead wrong about Rivers too, I said we would go 10-6 and he would be good lol, now we may go 12-4 and he may have a deep playoff run Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was dead wrong about Rivers too, I said we would go 10-6 and he would be good lol, now we may go 12-4 and he may have a deep playoff run Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

the jags game and losing mack still haunts me ......   we could be 10-3 with a chance for the 2 seed , and having mack and taylor the colts would have a dominate running game .

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

the jags game and losing mack still haunts me ......   we could be 10-3 with a chance for the 2 seed , and having mack and taylor the colts would have a dominate running game .

Yeah losing Mack sucked I agree. I think the combo of Hines and Taylor is pretty good though. I see us going 11-5 at worse, we will skunk Houston this time around and beat the Jags as well. The Pitt game has me worried.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah losing Mack sucked I agree. I think the combo of Hines and Taylor is pretty good though. I see us going 11-5 at worse, we will skunk Houston this time around and beat the Jags as well. The Pitt game has me worried.

we need to beat pitt I am worried the dolphins look amazing right now . I can see them beating both pats and raiders and i hope the bills do not sit starters against them .  There is a chance the bills can be locked into a seed no matter what and sit starters.  i am hoping the bills lose a game before the dolphins game so they have to play starters .   I also think the steelers are not as good as the colts , there defense has like 7 starters out and is playing practice squad players at linebacker .  With ben hurt and not playing that good and no run game , i think the colts beat them and go 12-4 being the 3rd seed after the titans lose to packers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

we need to beat pitt I am worried the dolphins look amazing right now . I can see them beating both pats and raiders and i hope the bills do not sit starters against them .  There is a chance the bills can be locked into a seed no matter what and sit starters.  i am hoping the bills lose a game before the dolphins game so they have to play starters .   I also think the steelers are not as good as the colts , there defense has like 7 starters out and is playing practice squad players at linebacker .  With ben hurt and not playing that good and no run game , i think the colts beat them and go 12-4 being the 3rd seed after the titans lose to packers.

If we run the table we will win the division more than likely because I see GB beating the Titans.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I loved the Rivers signing but thought we would go maybe 10-6 or so, this is turning out better than I even thought lmao .Dude played out of his mind last week.

I hated signing rivers because his stats last year were horrible and he went 3-13 .  Now i realize how bad the chargers are and it wasnt rivers fault last year. ballard watched tape and saw that rivers still looked good and make a great pick up.

Just now, coming on strong said:

I hated signing rivers because his stats last year were horrible and he went 3-13 .  Now i realize how bad the chargers are and it wasnt rivers fault last year. ballard watched tape and saw that rivers still looked good and make a great pick up.

Rivers still put up a lot of yards last year, it was his INT's that was a problem but that was due too forcing a lot on a bad team with a bad O.Line. The pass protection here has been much better. He and TY are clicking now too, it takes time sometimes but it is clicking.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I seriously doubt if Buffalo will be resting players in any of their remaining games because even if the lock up the AFC East title, they're gonna need to keep winning to hold on to the #3 seed and they're most likely gonna be in the hunt for the #2 seed, especially if Pittsburgh loses just 1 more game.

30 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I seriously doubt if Buffalo will be resting players in any of their remaining games because even if the lock up the AFC East title, they're gonna need to keep winning to hold on to the #3 seed and they're most likely gonna be in the hunt for the #2 seed, especially if Pittsburgh loses just 1 more game.

I do think the Pit game will come down to our OL, if they can give Rivers time, it's over.

I've watched 4 Pit games so far this season, let's be honest, their pass rush is incredible, the rest is average at best.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I loved the Rivers signing but thought we would go maybe 10-6 or so, this is turning out better than I even thought lmao .Dude played out of his mind last week.

It is now time for the Rivers haters to "Bend the Knee" !!

Queen Bow Down GIF by A24

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, coming on strong said:

The Chargers went 5-11 last year, didn't they?

Regardless, I'm glad you finally came around.  Takes a lot to stand up and admit you were wrong.  Everybody is wrong at some point, but most never admit.

Now, let's go get in the playoffs and make some noise.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, John Waylon said:

How do you know he didn't elevate those Chargers teams?

Over a decade with bad OLs, bad defense, no running game, bad coaches, and a slew of injuries...and he still made them competitive year in and year out.

Compare that to a Brady, who every single year had a top 10 OL, top 10 running game, top 10 defense, and arguably the GOAT coach.

Also, what about guys like Brees and Rodgers, who most consider all time greats?  35+ years between them and only 2 championships.

I didn’t want rivers because he was bad last season but mainly because I was ready to start with a young QB and get the future started. But everything worked out well. Better then I expected. Rivers is playing better then Brady and Big Ben.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, John Waylon said:

They have been.

But. 

They beat GB which will likely be #1 seed in NFC. 

But I agree the odds are low that Colts will win 3 straight road games against this crazy good AFC field and folks should keep expectations in check. 

12 hours ago, coming on strong said:

What people don’t realize is that 10 of his 20 INT came in 3 games.  And it was simply because the Oline was awful and defense was mediocre so he was just forcing % to try and win.  Just look at 2020, Herbert is playing 100x better than 2019 Rivers and that team

is going to finish with the same record.  Just a trash franchise that had 4 HoFers on their team at one point with 0 rings to show. 

• Like 1
Just now, SpanosSucks said:

What people don’t realize is that 10 of his 20 INT came in 3 games.  And it was simply because the Oline was awful and defense was mediocre so he was just forcing % to try and win.  Just look at 2020, Herbert is playing 100x better than 2019 Rivers and that team

is going to finish with the same record.  Just a trash franchise that had 4 HoFers on their team at one point with 0 rings to show. 

I feel so bad for Herbert playing for Chargers. He will be another fantastic QB. Who knows if he will ever lead them to a SB?