Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unless Luck changes his mind and wants to come back, give me Ryan

Atlanta is all but assured to go after a QB high in the draft and would love to find a trading partner for Ryan. Being that they would like to find a partner I doubt it would cost a 1st, maybe a 2nd and 4th would do it. He has a few more good years, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Teams are going to have to get rid of good players because of the cap situation. San Francisco may be saying goodbye to their QB as well. Rumor was that the Pats would be interested in Ryan as well..

• Haha 1

Matty Ice would be wonderful mid season add if the price isnt crazy high. Dak will be a free agent after this season . Need someone better at the helm I believe our roster could make a run with a good QB .

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

There's going to be a lot of teams looking for a QB next off season. 

A few, but many either just got a QB or have an established one. Teams like the Jets, Washington and the Colts will be. But if teams like Detroit and Atlanta get in that will make two established starters available (most likely). Denver still is high on Lock, the Jags seem to like Minshew. So who else would be trying to get up? San Francisco? New England? 

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

A few, but many either just got a QB or have an established one. Teams like the Jets, Washington and the Colts will be. But if teams like Detroit and Atlanta get in that will make two established starters available (most likely). Denver still is high on Lock, the Jags seem to like Minshew. So who else would be trying to get up? San Francisco? New England? 

New England? Maybe... 

But depending on how the season turns out: the Cowboys and Giants come to mind. 

And if potential retirements happen: the Saints, Pittsburgh and yes, even possibly the Buccaneers. 

I digress, that's a lot of what ifs. Though, I imagine at least one of the aforementioned teams will have their starter retire. The Saints have Winston and Hill, but it's possible if Brees retires that they go in another direction. 

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

200.gif

up the movie GIF

Colors Neon GIF by Todd Rocheford

Lance Ndsu Football GIF by NDSU Athletics

I'm not sold on Trey Lance, in my opinion he is overrated until I see how he does in the combine and hopefully there's a east-west shrine game he can participate in

Check Matt Ryan and his performances outdoors this year. I think he is fading. Once I looked closely, I am realizing a QB that can roll out and make plays on the run throwing is a valuable commodity in the current NFL.

I have to say no. We need to finish the season with Rivers, and then find our QB for the future. We can’t keep adding stopgaps to the team in the form of regressing veterans. If we want to succeed, we need to invest in a young QB, and we have enough talented youth to give him a bit of time to develop. Our Super Bowl window when it comes to the team surrounding the QB position is wide open, we just need to get a young QB that can get us there consistently, not push all our chips in on a QB that may or may not get us there for one season and then leave us back where we started!

6 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Atlanta is all but assured to go after a QB high in the draft and would love to find a trading partner for Ryan. Being that they would like to find a partner I doubt it would cost a 1st, maybe a 2nd and 4th would do it. He has a few more good years, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Teams are going to have to get rid of good players because of the cap situation. San Francisco may be saying goodbye to their QB as well. Rumor was that the Pats would be interested in Ryan as well..

Duck Reaction GIF

I am tired of retreading QBs. 

The problem with retreads is they come unglued.

I hope Ballard finds a young QB to groom to be a Colt.

For all we know Eason just may be that guy.

This sky is falling attitude sucks. 

While in theory, it sounds good, after seeing what we are getting from Rivers so far, injuries to skill positions and general regression of the o-line has made not too crazy about veteran stopgap options

Either make a move for a younger guy who has no issue of physical decline, trade up to get the guy in draft or play Eason.  

The ceiling with a veteran stop gap is not likely to be higher than Wild Card or Divisional playoff round unless it is a 1993 Joe Montana, 2012 Peyton Manning or Tom Brady we are getting 

• Haha 1

If you want to go younger, trade for Derek Carr. He was my first choice coming into this year when it seemed like Gruden wanted him gone. Carr can still play at a high level for at least 7 years. Carr at worse is above average IMO and is good at times. He would be good here IMO with our O.Line and Taylor. Rivers was my 2nd choice coming into the season because he is a season Vet and has been great in the past. It is still too early to give up on him. After a loss some people just lose it and panic haha 

• Like 2

I get all the ideas being thrown around, I truly do. Our QB situation just hasn't panned out as many would have hoped since Luck retired. With that being said here is what i believe needs to be addressed. 

Ballard: "Our plan is to always have coaches coach".

Okay? Then why haven't these coaches been able to coach up the talent we have/had on this team. I get that Eason did not have an offseason and jury is still out on him, however this team had Kelly, who did show flashes in preseason games yet kept getting buried and now is gone. JB was never considered a starting talent automatically, meaning he had potential but still needed coaching/grooming and he fizzled out rather quickly. Knowing all this to be true and knowing that this coaching unit and front office unit have selected 4 QB's since Luck retired where 3 (Rivers, JB, and Kelly) evidently are/were terrible then what does that really tell us here?  It tells me that these coaches 1) can't coach up QB's and 2) Cannot judge/evaluate talent correctly at that spot and that is a bigger concern here then trying to give ideas on what QB we bring in to replace the ones currently on this team.

14 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I get all the ideas being thrown around, I truly do. Our QB situation just hasn't panned out as many would have hoped since Luck retired. With that being said here is what i believe needs to be addressed. 

Okay? Then why haven't these coaches been able to coach up the talent we have/had on this team. I get that Eason did not have an offseason and jury is still out on him, however this team had Kelly, who did show flashes in preseason games yet kept getting buried and now is gone. JB was never considered a starting talent automatically, meaning he had potential but still needed coaching/grooming and he fizzled out rather quickly. Knowing all this to be true and knowing that this coaching unit and front office unit have selected 4 QB's since Luck retired where 3 (Rivers, JB, and Kelly) evidently are/were terrible then what does that really tell us here?  It tells me that these coaches 1) can't coach up QB's and 2) Cannot judge/evaluate talent correctly at that spot and that is a bigger concern here then trying to give ideas on what QB we bring in to replace the ones currently on this team.

Or maybe it tells you that finding a quality starting QB in the NFL ain’t easy. Teams are constantly searching for one. The Colts were left high and dry by Luck when he walked away 2 weeks before the start of the season. Few if any teams could or would recover quickly from that. We may have the next talented QB on the team right now in Eason. Time will tell. However, it’s not the coaches failure to coach well that has caused the problem for the Colts at QB. The problem is lack of talent: you can’t coach up a rag arm in Rivers or a reluctant, misfiring arm in Brisett.You CAN work with Eason. Let’s see what they have there. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

Or maybe it tells you that finding a quality starting QB in the NFL ain’t easy. Teams are constantly searching for one. The Colts were left high and dry by Luck when he walked away 2 weeks before the start of the season. Few if any teams could or would recover quickly from that. We may have the next talented QB on the team right now in Eason. Time will tell. However, it’s not the coaches failure to coach well that has caused the problem for the Colts at QB. The problem is lack of talent: you can’t coach up a rag arm in Rivers or a reluctant, misfiring arm in Brisett.You CAN work with Eason. Let’s see what they have there. 

It's possible. 

On 10/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I am tired of retreading QBs. 

The problem with retreads is they come unglued.

I hope Ballard finds a young QB to groom to be a Colt.

For all we know Eason just may be that guy.

This sky is falling attitude sucks. 

After 6 games? Damn, that tread came off quick....

• Haha 2
On 10/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, DownHillRunner said:

Ballard would trade for Julio Jones before he trades for Matt Ryan. 

True. If it does happen, Julio Jones' contract has an out at the end of 2022 with a $7.5 mil. cap hit. If we are taking on that contract, a 3rd rounder is all that I am willing to give. If the Falcons pay for part of it, I will give them a 2nd rounder.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 9:16 AM, Indeee said:

That's not really true.   Brissett was here already and is the backup.   Eason is a rookie with no preseason to learn from.  Kelly has been a practice squad player who has twice made it through waivers not being touched by another team, so perhaps the whole league sees him as a QB who is not starting material.   Rivers is the best of the bunch at this time.   We do need a QB of the future, but we all know how hard that is to find if you don't have the first pick in the draft.   

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/ranking-every-nfl-quarterback-drafted-first-round-since-2000/16obdsowna7kk1gnhl9iqrp2pg/31