Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Overreactions

Scott Pennock

I usually stay away after a loss because of knee jerk reactions versus the overwhelming praise after a win.

I saw 4 highly contested balls that stayed in the Browns receivers hands to extend drives.

2 excellent escapes by Mayfield to extend drives.

3 forgettable throws by Rivers.

Outside of that the Colts played a solid game all around versus a potent offensive team. 

Any given Sunday has always been the mantra, correct? The Browns had their Sunday with those 4 catches alone......

The Colts defense was the same all game long. Minus those 4 ridiculous catches they held them in check and thoroughly dominated the 2nd half.

IMHO........The coaching staff is hindering this offense by deliberately playing ball control. Let Rivers stand back there in shotgun and sling the ball around if you say his arm strength is just as good as it always has been.....run play action from there. Include all weapons available. Reich seems to have gone super conservative after Luck retired.

Rivers was always gonna be the fall guy after every loss this season.  I'm not worried about that, because the coaches and players know better.

Heck, I see people still blaming him for week 1 while ignoring that we let Minshew go 19/20 3TDs, and TY dropped two passes on our final potential game-tying drive.

Last week was bad, primarily the pick 6, so I understand Rivers getting the blame.  But more needs to be corrected than just Rivers.  Coaches need to reevaluate the strategy and set our guys up better.  We have no problem scoring TDs at the beginning of the games, so it's not a player issue.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I saw 4 highly contested balls that stayed in the Browns receivers hands to extend drives.

Outside of that the Colts played a solid game all around versus a potent offensive team. 

How refreshingly accurate. 

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I usually stay away after a loss because of knee jerk reactions versus the overwhelming praise after a win.

Any given Sunday has always been the mantra, correct? The Browns had their Sunday with those 4 catches alone......

The Colts defense was the same all game long. Minus those 4 ridiculous catches they held them in check and thoroughly dominated the 2nd half.

IMHO........The coaching staff is hindering this offense by deliberately playing ball control. Let Rivers stand back there in shotgun and sling the ball around if you say his arm strength is just as good as it always has been.....run play action from there. Include all weapons available. Reich seems to have gone super conservative after Luck retired.

You may have forgotten about those throws but I haven't I don't think anybody else on here has either. Rivers threw to the wrong team way to many times last year and it's has followed him to the Colts. I think even his arm strength has even gotten worse than last year.  So those throws unfortunately were very remember able. .  

Bill Parcells always said, "in the nfl 2 or 3 plays a game will beat you." Really, how true is that? How many times did Marvin and Reggie bail out Peyton and or Andrew with amazing routes and catches at critical moments? Not just in the 4th quarter but throughout the entire game? And, I'm sorry folks, but you just don't draft that caliber of wr's every year or every decade for that matter. This is a solid playoff caliber team that wasn't going to go 16-0. We can still go 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, all three of which will get us into the playoffs. And I'm still predicting we will win the afc south!

I think Kevin Bowen said it best, Rivers will hardly ever throw it a way.  Brissett would never take a chance.  So which would you rather have? JB has the better arm, but that doesn’t do any good if you don’t throw the ball.  Rivers scares us, every time he throws to the sidelines we're holding our breath. 

Either way, we don’t have a franchise QB.  This fan base still hasn’t come to grips with that.  So we’re going to have this kind of reaction with every loss.  

I just hope we don’t turn into the Browns and take 20 years to find a QB.  

Rivers has had a great career. He is still a good QB but not a great QB.  This is an offense that is still in transition with injuries to Mack, Campbelll and Pittman. TY does not have enough help at the other wide outs to get the separation we need to have him make big plays and I suspect that his skill set while still good is not what it was. The  TE situation is average at best. We have not really had a dominant running game but I believe it willl gel as Taylor gets more reps and if we  develop a better passing game. The team's play in the red zone has been inconsistent. We need to convert in the red zone with Touchdowns not field goals.  I hold out hope that the offense willl find its mojo and be more consistent . We clearly have a solid defense and our special teams play has been very good. I think this team is one draft away from being a top  5 team.

Archived