Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another disappointing 2nd round DE?

BProland85

Turay, Lewis, and Banogu are all pass rushers Ballard drafted in the 2nd round. To date, none have really panned out, whether due to production or progress, or to health (Turay).

Banogu deserves some more time to progress, but he seems to only have a limited role as of this year, when we were hoping for a jump from him. 

Hopefully our misfortunes with our pass rush prospects can be righted soon, and this DL creates a more consistent rush from the DL. Mayfield had too much time to throw this past Sunday. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

lets not forget, the Browns have a very good OL too...

Good DL's should find away to put pressure on qb, if they can't then DC should be able to find a scheme that will. 

Ballard put a lot of resources in DL, passing up on offensive skill players saying we will have "waves and waves" of pass rushers.

So I guess when we face a good OL like you say, it will be low tide for our D. haha

35 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Yes. Yet Rivers was pressured on 15 of 18 drop backs before safety.  Is that all because AC was out?

Not all, but in part. Nelson had to slide over a BUNCH to help Clark. Leaving the inside open more than usual. I also wonder if the OL and Rivers haven’t gotten on the same page quite yet too with communication. Just speculating there

Banogu and Lewis have been my least favorite picks by Ballard. They still might pan out, but especially with the Banogu pick, there was a lot of talented players still on the board but we opted to go with a super raw prospect.

I like Turay, just have to hope he can get/stay healthy. Not a given though.

I think Ballard/scouts tend to get a little too traitsy at times. Which, I know that’s basically what Ballard’s trying to do, and it’s worked out well for the most part. I’m just usually skeptical of those really raw prospects like Banogu.

Defensive line players take time to develop especially when they do not get the playing time needed in the preseason. Lets not give up on players because there are many players that did not blossom until after a few years, One that comes to mind is Reggie Wayne and he is most likely a future hall of famer

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Turay, Lewis, and Banogu are all pass rushers Ballard drafted in the 2nd round. To date, none have really panned out, whether due to production or progress, or to health (Turay).

Banogu deserves some more time to progress, but he seems to only have a limited role as of this year, when we were hoping for a jump from him. 

Hopefully our misfortunes with our pass rush prospects can be righted soon, and this DL creates a more consistent rush from the DL. Mayfield had too much time to throw this past Sunday. 

The jump for Benagu was lost when Covid blew-up the off-season.  And Lewis’ best spot appears to be the 3-tech.   So he’s stuck behind Buckner.   Let’s not forget that Lewis was the breakout star of training camp.  

The rush to judgement is from fan frustration with the season so far. 

46 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Banogu and Lewis have been my least favorite picks by Ballard. They still might pan out, but especially with the Banogu pick, there was a lot of talented players still on the board but we opted to go with a super raw prospect.

I think Ballard/scouts tend to get a little too traitsy at times. Which, I know that’s basically what Ballard’s trying to do, and it’s worked out well for the most part. I’m just usually skeptical of those really raw prospects like Banogu.

Like AJ Brown for example, picked 2 spots after Banogu. I was so upset when we passed on Brown and the damn Titans picked him. One reason I can't stand the Titans. They seem to snag guys I really want for this team, including both Brown and Jeffery Simmons. 

47 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

They were my least favorite picks, including Turay. 

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Like AJ Brown for example, picked 2 spots after Banogu. I was so upset when we passed on Brown and the damn Titans picked him. One reason I can't stand the Titans. They seem to snag guys I really want for this team, including both Brown and Jeffery Simmons. 

But Brown will take time to develope.:dunno:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The jump for Benagu was lost when Covid blew-up the off-season.  And Lewis’ best spot appears to be the 3-tech.   So he’s stuck behind Buckner.   Let’s not forget that Lewis was the breakout star of training camp.  

The rush to judgement is from fan frustration with the season so far. 

Well said. We’ll get a better feel for Banogu as the season progresses. He’s young and inexperienced but also has some great bend, strength and speed. The intangibles are there; he just needs the reps.... and the hardest thing of all.....patience. 

Turay if healthy could really give our pass rush a boost when he returns. He was coming on strong last year before his injury. 

I was high on Banagou when drafted but thus far he hasn’t developed into the pass rusher that I thought he would be. I was looking for him to be able to be moved around a lot and pressure the QB  from both the linebacker and defensive end positions. 

Wilson

Lewis

Turray

Bangou

Campbell

Pittman

Rock

Taylor

Leonard

Smith 

I believe those are all of Ballards 2nd round picks.  It appears he has hit on 4 of those with Smith, Leonard, Taylor and Rock.  If two more of them can step up and be starters then that will be a 60% success rate which I believe is excellent.    Right now he is below average but the jury is out on a few of the guys.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed some of these young guys do their jobs.  

Actually, I thought we did a decent job of getting pressure on Mayfield. The guy is just very mobile. He avoided 3-4 sacks on his own with his scrambling. 

Banago has shown nothing imo from day one. Sometimes it seems like he's spying the qb rather than trying to actually sack him!

Our pass rushers have to deal with QBs who can create time with scrambling. 

Vs Rivers who barely moves. So yeah of course rivers is going to get sacked he can't even run just fast walk. 

We've seen a lot of QB hurries from this dine which IS an improvement over the last couple years. So they are improving. 

Buckner said in his latest interview that the DLine is still getting used to each other. 
   As a whole, this team is a work in progress:

Rivers timing with the receivers 

Taylor’s timing with the Oline

Dline getting used to playing together 

Things always look worse, after a loss. Give it time, we’re going to be okay.

18 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Our pass rushers have to deal with QBs who can create time with scrambling. 

Vs Rivers who barely moves. So yeah of course rivers is going to get sacked he can't even run just fast walk. 

We've seen a lot of QB hurries from this dine which IS an improvement over the last couple years. So they are improving. 

Rivers makes Peyton look like Michael Vick. I laugh and cry when watching Rivers scramble. 

18 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Buckner said in his latest interview that the DLine is still getting used to each other. 
   As a whole, this team is a work in progress:

Rivers timing with the receivers 

Taylor’s timing with the Oline

Dline getting used to playing together 

Things always look worse, after a loss. Give it time, we’re going to be okay.

I agree in some aspects.

Taylor needs time. Mack needed time, and certainly had timing issues early in his career.

Rivers has had a revolving door of WRs, TEs, and RBs.... Add to that, Reich over rotates at all those positions.

OL has no excuse though. IMO, they've been underperforming vs their hype, especially in pass blocking.

And DL, while yes Buckner is new, doesn't really need to play in unison like an OL does, so I don't really buy the "getting used to each other" stuff. We're dong OK given the very low rate at which we blitz, but still, I expected more from Buckner 1 on 1. Reich and Flus need to help them out with more blitzing and stunting. There's just no reason to be on the bottom end of that number. 

As far as the whole team. IDK. All the other teams have their own challenges too, and none had a preseason either. I've looked at play by play for ever game now, and play calling is as suspect (probably more) than it was last year. 

Archived