Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What has become very obvious to most Teams don't fear our passing game

ColtJax

We have a team with below average WR's and a slow QB that's arm dead. Teams don't fear our passing game so they play as many in the box as possible. They overload our OL and stuff the running game. Before the trading deadline we really do need a WR that can move the ball down field. I don't know if Rivers can do it, but if not JB can at least throw over 10 yards. Would be kinda nice to see a quality back up for AC at OT, Clark was getting rag dolled all game..

• Nadine changed the title to What has become very obvious to most Teams don't fear our passing game
41 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

We have a team with below average WR's and a slow QB that's arm dead. Teams don't fear our passing game so they play as many in the box as possible. They overload our OL and stuff the running game. Before the trading deadline we really do need a WR that can move the ball down field. I don't know if Rivers can do it, but if not JB can at least throw over 10 yards. Would be kinda nice to see a quality back up for AC at OT, Clark was getting rag dolled all game..

I don't think it is a case of Rivers not being able to throw over 10 yards, he throws well with anticipation if the plays are called. I think we are pigeon holing ourselves with conservative play calling between the 20s. In the red zone and if you are backed up, yes, you lean on your run game more (cough, cough, no safety), no doubt. But there needs to be more creativity in the passing game to use all the TEs and RBs we have. We did not pass to MAC or Burton till much later in the game when the safeties of the Browns were ripe for the picking, IMO.

Rivers' vision breaks down when he has pressure in his face, he doesn't stand there and take a hit while delivering the ball like some other QBs do, so he misses a WR that just got open as a guy is closing in because he starts panicking and moving away from the pressure. Rivers has to realize he is not going to outrun anyone, so he might as well move backwards to give himself more room to see the pressure coming and give him that tad extra second to see the crossing guys come open (which I saw several times).

50 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I hear you but you're dreaming.

JB can throw 10 yards? Right. That's why Colts fans were ready to drive him to the nearest airport and get him out of town asap. The saying goes...when there's trouble, the backup is the most popular man in town. Even 18 and 12 (not often) had backup questions arise especially 12. Jacoby Brissett is worse than Rivers. 

Backup LT. Sure. But how many teams have quality BACKUP left tackles or heck even starters? It is a tough position to stack deep. There's a reason most Colts fans waited with clenched butt cheeks when Castonzo said he was contemplating his future. 

Trading for a WR....which WR would that be? 

Every team we play is going to bring the pass rush because Rivers is an immobile statue that cannot hurt you with his legs or a strong arm and he absolutely cannot extend a play to give his receivers a chance. J.B. has a strong arm, can hurt teams with his running and can extend plays and drives with his mobility....he can sometimes make a team pay for bringing all game pass rush. At some point in the last game against the Browns stats were shown that Rivers absolutely is not connecting on intermediate routes and that is a problem.

38 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Food for thought ... Let's say your statement above is correct and probably is the issue. So, let's look at what we have. Rivers ... If he can still throw the long ball consistently or not or is Reich holding him back. Assuming Reich is holding him back then that's your answer. However, if Rivers can't throw long consistently and other teams know this or is daring you to throw long then that is your problem or answer. Brissett ... Well, unless he has learned how to be more aggressive and stop playing QB like a sissy then maybe he is a solution. Maybe but i highly doubt it. So that leaves Eason ... Probably not ready. However, he has one thing the other QB's don't have and that is his ability to throw the long ball. If, and a big if, he comes in and starts completing long passes, defenses will have to back off which in turn opens up the running game and everything else. Now, do i think our decision makers would even consider this? NO ... They are too STUBBORN. If things continue as is then different things need to be tried but they won't again just like last year! 

Wasn't it proven that Rivers has thrown it down field more than Brissett did the whole year? I quite fondly remember Brissett over looking receivers because he didn't feel confident hitting them. He threw a lot of quick short passes and didn't take too many chances down field.

9 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Wasn't it proven that Rivers has thrown it down field more than Brissett did the whole year? I quite fondly remember Brissett over looking receivers because he didn't feel confident hitting them. He threw a lot of quick short passes and didn't take too many chances down field.

Exactly...and they wasn't anything quick about his short passes. His time-to-throw was atrocious. He just couldn't/can't make quick decisions. 

Rivers is getting the ball out fast (i think top 3 in the league so far), and completing over 70% passes. And even with his noodle arm, he's taking long shots better than Brissett did.

It's not a great position to be in but Chris Ballard along with Frank Reich and Nick Sirianni chose Rivers. That's the bed they made, and now they have no choice but to sleep in it. There're no angels waiting in the wing.

4 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I hear you but you're dreaming.

JB can throw 10 yards? Right. That's why Colts fans were ready to drive him to the nearest airport and get him out of town asap. The saying goes...when there's trouble, the backup is the most popular man in town. Even 18 and 12 (not often) had backup questions arise especially 12. Jacoby Brissett is worse than Rivers. 

Backup LT. Sure. But how many teams have quality BACKUP left tackles or heck even starters? It is a tough position to stack deep. There's a reason most Colts fans waited with clenched butt cheeks when Castonzo said he was contemplating his future. 

Trading for a WR....which WR would that be? 

Trade deadline is in a few weeks, by then the mad dash to clear cap space and get in line for a top QB in the draft will be in full force. Lets not forget that there are teams well over the cap for next year and the cap will fall. If we need to sure up some spots this would be a good time.. Teams like the Jets and the team in Washington will want extra picks to help move up if needed..

They don't scare anyone that's for sure.  Pretty much just game plan on stopping Taylor stacking the box and getting some pressure on Rivers to force him into errors seems to be the trick.  Colts seem built on playing with a lead.  We'll see how they do against the Bengals.  Heck if they can pull out a win, which they should they'll still be 4-2.  I would like to see some accurate passing downfield and no turnovers

Cat Please GIF by swerk 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Trade deadline is in a few weeks, by then the mad dash to clear cap space and get in line for a top QB in the draft will be in full force. Lets not forget that there are teams well over the cap for next year and the cap will fall. If we need to sure up some spots this would be a good time.. Teams like the Jets and the team in Washington will want extra picks to help move up if needed..

Washington has Terry McLaurin, that's it. They're incompetent but even they are not stupid enough to trade him. And in that division, 8-8 may win it, and with that defense, they're not tanking. They have no other wideouts you'd want. I mean, not unless you want Dontrelle Inman who does have experience with Rivers but i'm 99.99999% sure the Colts want no part of him.

The Jets? Again, similar story. They've got one wideout worth pushing for. Jamison Crowder. Unlikely to trade him. Ballard is in the habit of winning the trade wars not giving stuff away.

Who else? 

Since the beginning of last year, only two QB’s have turned the ball over more than Rivers, Daniel Jones and Jameis Winston. In terms of upgrading the WR position, I was always skeptical on whether or not the team did enough in the off-season. Usually, rookie WR’s struggle to produce like true starters in their rookie season. T Y Hilton isn’t getting younger and Paris Campbell unfortunately stays hurt. When I brought this up I was told by several people (some here, some elsewhere) that the Colts WR’s were much better than the Chargers. There isn’t a WR on this roster who is as good as Keenan Allen. Mike Williams would be a welcome addition to this roster.

the problem is not that rivers cant throw deep he can , its the zip on the throws .  when looking at film of last year i noticed a lot of his throws lacked zip on them.  In most cases a wr would be wide open rivers goes to throw it and by the time the ball gets to the wr  the defender has time to make a play on the ball.    this is because the throw hangs in the air way longer then it should .  Rivers has made up slightly for it by using anticipation on his throws , but what is more troubling is even when rivers releases ball before the wr is out of his break the ball still hangs in the air so long the defender still has a chance to break it up .   this is why manning struggled his last year so bad .

15 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

Play selection matters too.

Facing the Browns pass rush, how many screen passes did we run ?

Going by memory I can't remember many.

But we did throw a lot of the passes that got them a pick 6 and almost another one. Rivers like to throw that pass, and apparently the other teams know it as well since they play real close to the WR. Run Burton up the seam, instead he runs a 5 yard dig to the sideline as well. Nothing worse than seeing a 3 yard pass in a crowd on a 3rd and 8 play..

I think the majority of members here agree the QB situation is dead weight on the team's hope for this season. The most aggravating thing is there will not be a solution this season and perhaps it applies to next season as well if they mishandle this problem. The schedule is going to get much tougher very soon so if it is stressful now just wait. 

On 10/14/2020 at 2:51 PM, Malakai432 said:

They don't scare anyone that's for sure.  Pretty much just game plan on stopping Taylor stacking the box and getting some pressure on Rivers to force him into errors seems to be the trick.  Colts seem built on playing with a lead.  We'll see how they do against the Bengals.  Heck if they can pull out a win, which they should they'll still be 4-2.  I would like to see some accurate passing downfield and no turnovers

Cat Please GIF by swerk 

That cat is so cute it is down right ridiclous.  Lol 

But yeah...it’s no surprise that teams are focusing on stopping the Colts run game first and daring Rivers to beat them.  There is little deep threat to worry about from Rivers right now. And the more he drops back to throw chances increase that he eventually throws a pick or fumbles from a sack.  Rivers gives opposing defenses 2-3 potential turnover opportunities per game.  It further compounds the Colts’ problems when the offensive line is not performing as well run blocking as initially expected.  It’s smart to defend against the Colts offense in this way.  

On 10/15/2020 at 11:09 AM, King Colt said:

I think the majority of members here agree the QB situation is dead weight on the team's hope for this season. The most aggravating thing is there will not be a solution this season and perhaps it applies to next season as well if they mishandle this problem. The schedule is going to get much tougher very soon so if it is stressful now just wait. 

I disagree. After 5 games people think like this and we are 3-2 on top of it. Comical. I think after a loss, some people just reach for nonsense to post. 

Theres a stat going around that since the beginning of 2019 Rivers has the 3rd most turnovers of starting qb's. Winston of course has his 30 INT year and Danny Dimes is a turnover machine. Insert Phil right after those two. I think defenses are sitting on Phil waiting for him to throw a lame duck

On 10/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, aaron11 said:

they are middle of the pack in passing yards but near the bottom of the league in TD

the jets, giants and Washington have less passing TDs though :rock:

Let this sink in. Rivers has 4 T.D. passes all year and Chargers rookie Q.B. Herbert had 4 T.D. passes in one game last week!

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Score board, Rivers is 3-2, Herbert is 1-4. - only stat that matters,

Yea but Rivers is in direct correlation with our losses. Many would say "holding us back" as the rest of our team is exceptional. Herbert is a wiz out their almost willing a very average roster to very close games vs the Chiefs, Bucs and Saints. Reminds me of Luck in ways. They are at complete opposite spectrums though

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yea but Rivers is in direct correlation with our losses. Many would say "holding us back" as the rest of our team is exceptional. Herbert is a wiz out their almost willing a very average roster to very close games vs the Chiefs, Bucs and Saints.

I actually think Herbert has played well, he has surprised me but bottomline is QB's and coaches always get blamed for losses and get praised for wins. Everyone knows that. Not saying it is right but has always been like that :dunno:

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Rivers throws for 300 yards and 2 TD's, no INT's today but we lose 21-20 will anyone care what Rivers did? Most will still blame him for the loss and blame Reich. 

how can anyone blame rivers if he plays good?   that is what we all want is him just to play solid .  no one was expecting him to carry the team like luck . If rivers averaged 270 yards a game and two touchdowns with only 1 or 2 picks through 5 games i wouldnt even talk about him being bad .  even if he put up the same numbers this year without the bad picks i would be okay with him.  Him handing points to the defense is what bothers people

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Rivers throws for 300 yards and 2 TD's, no INT's today but we lose 21-20 will anyone care what Rivers did? Most will still blame him for the loss and blame Reich. 

Most of us would be pleasantly surprised by that type of production. A loss to the Bengals would would make a few here go nuts, just have to tune out the ridiculousness.

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Score board, Rivers is 3-2, Herbert is 1-4. - only stat that matters,

Actually, Justin Herbert is 0-4 as a starter in the NFL: the Chargers' lone win so far was Week 1 at Cincinnati, and Tyrod Taylor was the starting QB.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good point, I stand corrected. I forgot Taylor started week 1.

Herbert is 0-4, but he's played good enough to win each of those games, especially the last one. It's also worth noting that the rookie has faced off with a Superbowl MVP winning quarterback in 3 of those 4 games in Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady & Drew Brees. 

Archived