Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Quarterback

chrisbeldridge

Next year at QB  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What would you most want

• Phillip Rivers,resign Rivers and he's our starter again next season
    • Jacob Eason, throw Eason into the fire in his second year
    • Dak Prescott, sign Dak in free agency paying him close to 40 million a year
    • Sam Darnold, trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick to the Jets after they draft Lawrence or Fields
    • rookie, draft a rooking qb in the 1st or 2nd round

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The money for Rivers and Brissett ends after thus season.   Next year we will be close to paying our QB rookie minimum. 
What we’re paying THIS YEAR is meaningless NEXT YEAR.  

As for picking in the 20’s next year,  if you read the threads on this website that possibility just up and vanished this weekend.   According to the Sky Is Falling Crowd, next year we will be lucky if we’re picking 12-16.   

Apparently, we officially suck.  So much for the playoffs.   At least, that’s what I read here.   The biggest panic I’ve seen on this website since I joined in May of 2012. 

I know what you are saying. To counter, I don’t think we have been to the playoffs for nearly 25 years without a QB named Manning or Luck. Rivers is no more than a Kerry Collins or a Jacoby Brissett. So you can see why the glass is mostly half empty. I remain positive until I don’t...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see Ballard signing another veteran QB to buy time.  We won’t know who is available until after the season.  Colts are in no mans land.  Good enough to win games to keep from picking in the top 10 but a fringe playoff team at best.  We will waste all this talent on our roster unless we get lucky and hit on a low draft pick or a retread.  

I will be surprised if Ballard trades a bunch of picks to move up in the draft.  We have glaring holes at OT, DE, WR and CB.  Plus the jury is still out on four 2nd round draft picks currently on the roster.  Really can’t afford to give up draft capital but you are only as good as your QB.  It’s a really bad situation to be in.   

3 minutes ago, basketballsteve said:

A poll without Brissett as a option? C'mon man that's just cold.

The JB haters will never admit this but we would've started 7-2 (not just 5-2) had he not got injured. Not saying JB is good or anything but I am pretty sure that would've happened. I know he would not lose to Miami like Hoyer did.

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Sign Cam if he's available,  then move up in draft if possible and draft the very best qb you can. 

Cam would be #1 and the highly drafted rookie & Eason compete for #2.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck comes back. Final answer.

I don’t know which of these I hate more. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Dak isn't going anywhere. Jerry Jones will resign him. Dak will get his money. 

Jones is already taking heat over not signing him. 

If we know anything Jones is a business man, and it would be bad business not to resign Dak. 

I think there is a decent chance Jones blows up the Cowboys and makes a play for one of the rookies.  Maybe signs Matt Ryan for a year.

It is looking like Mike McCarty was the problem in GB.  

I voted for trading a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold.  I would not trade a high 2nd.  Let he and Eason compete, and the other can be a nice backup.  Its too early to go all in on a rookie, since the roster still needs to be built at the edge positions.

Second choice would be to sign or trade for Matt Ryan to buy time until Eason is ready and the roster is developed.

I voted Darnold, but he would have to have a fair competition with Eason (otherwise why bother drafting him at all?) and throw another vet into the mix for experience / guidance and the steadying presence just in case too.

Darnold just has such upside if you can place a competent roster around him and he is so young still. Worth the kick of the tire in my opinion.

Rivers still has some rope in my eyes. Let's not forget there was no offseason.... not really, and its a new team etc. We all knew it could take a while to get going and in sync properly, even if he is familiar with Reich and Siriani.

I ay give him until after week 9. If we are looking bad and seemingly going in the wrong direction, then we start talking about dropping him out of the starting lineup. Next year will take care of itself once we TRULY know where we stand with Rivers.

Admittedly, I was all aboard the Rivers train. While there remains the chance he can play effectively enough to get the Colts to the playoffs, I now have serious doubts he can take the team beyond the wildcard round. As its constructed, the team still has to play with a lead, with the defense and running game carrying most of the load. This method has shown to be successful at times this year and even last year with Brissett, but it requires parts of the team to play very effectively consistently. The team simply needs more production from the QB position.

With that said, the Colts should explore moving up next year to get a QB. The Colts nor myself are sold on Eason being the answer. Rivers and Brissett will likely be gone after this season. The Colts window for success may also be closing sooner than we might think. They have a significant free agent list heading into the next couple of years and will have to start paying some of their key players. I also anticipate more and more talent from the front office to be syphoned off as its pretty clear to the rest of the league that the Colts front office is one of the best.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

You would hate Luck coming back? LOL

Well, then you must love things as they are.

Yes I would.  Simply because he'd be likely to quit again, leaving the team in yet another bind. If he were to come back, I'd trade his rights to another team for as many 1s as I could get, then package those and move up and get Trevor Lawerence or one of the other alleged studs at QB in the draft. 

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I can see Ballard signing another veteran QB to buy time.  We won’t know who is available until after the season.  Colts are in no mans land.  Good enough to win games to keep from picking in the top 10 but a fringe playoff team at best.  We will waste all this talent on our roster unless we get lucky and hit on a low draft pick or a retread.  

I will be surprised if Ballard trades a bunch of picks to move up in the draft.  We have glaring holes at OT, DE, WR and CB.  Plus the jury is still out on four 2nd round draft picks currently on the roster.  Really can’t afford to give up draft capital but you are only as good as your QB.  It’s a really bad situation to be in.   

Unfortunately this is very true. Although I don't think we are too bad at WR or CB because we have some decent young players in those positions (Moore, Ya-Sin, Campbell, Pittman) who are/should be good starters. Probably need more investment there, but certainly long term we are in desperate need for good young players at LT and DE on this roster.

I think if a situation occurs like what happened with Houston or Kansas where a QB becomes available in the draft between the 10th and 15th overall pick, I think Ballard will have no problem giving up both the 2021 and 2022 1st round draft picks to move up say 10 spots to draft one, like what Houston and Kansas did to take Mahomes or Watson. But of course, there needs to be a QB available to do that, maybe Trey Lance might just slip out of the top 10.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The JB haters will never admit this but we would've started 7-2 (not just 5-2) had he not got injured. Not saying JB is good or anything but I am pretty sure that would've happened. I know he would not lose to Miami like Hoyer did.

Well yeah, we lost to a (horrible) Miami team because Hoyer sucks and AV was injured/needed to retire

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes I would.  Simply because he'd be likely to quit again, leaving the team in yet another bind. If he were to come back, I'd trade his rights to another team for as many 1s as I could get, then package those and move up and get Trevor Lawerence or one of the other alleged studs at QB in the draft. 

Well good thing Luck is unlikely to return however in the unlikely scenario that he came back, you'd have a top 3 QB and you would want to trade him away? Well then you'd better be willing to enjoy QB purgatory. 

That's the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Throw Eason into the fire this season. See what he has before this strong QB draft gets here. If Eason doesnt seem to have it, then make whatever trade necessary to get Trey Lance.

Agreed. Let’s assume Trey Lance will be a stud in the NFL; drafting him would immediately make us contenders. Sure, we need a new LT soon, our depth at WR and CB is lacking, and a legitimate pass rusher would be nice, but I think all of those things could wait if we managed to grab a real QB.

The crazy thing is, other than QB, pass rusher, WR, and maybe a CB, I think we have a complete roster this year, thanks to Ballard. If we don’t give up the farm for someone like Lance, then Ballard needs to focus on LT in first round, pass rusher second, and then WR and CB wherever else he can

54 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We would be in a ok position as we would still Becca developing Eason.  

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

KInd of sad we will be on our 4th QB in 4 years.

It's exactly what happens when you don't have a franchise QB. It's exactly why when you have one, you need to give that guy everything it takes to succeed. 

Indy is finding this out. 

Cam was there, they passed on him. Didn't want the Red Rifle or any other 'younger' prospects. They wanted to gamble on Rivers and see how it went, then maybe give him a plus-one if things worked excellently. This is the guy they definitely wanted. They won't be prematurely judging him and rightly so.

He may yet be here in 2021. I dont want that and i didnt want him to begin with but lets see.

40 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Well good thing Luck is unlikely to return however in the unlikely scenario that he came back, you'd have a top 3 QB and you would want to trade him away? Well then you'd better be willing to enjoy QB purgatory. 

That's the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yes I would. Dude quit. Odds are, he'd quit again.  He's also at least 2 years removed from football. the chances of him returning to previous, pre injury Luck are non-existent. 

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It's exactly what happens when you don't have a franchise QB. It's exactly why when you have one, you need to give that guy everything it takes to succeed. 

Indy is finding this out. 

Cam was there, they passed on him. Didn't want the Red Rifle or any other 'younger' prospects. They wanted to gamble on Rivers and see how it went, then maybe give him a plus-one if things worked excellently. This is the guy they definitely wanted. They won't be prematurely judging him and rightly so.

He may yet be here in 2021. I dont want that and i didnt want him to begin with but lets see.

Cam, as good as he was, is on the decline.  We'd be trading one washed up QB in Rivers, for one that is borderline washed up. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Yes I would. Dude quit. Odds are, he'd quit again.  He's also at least 2 years removed from football. the chances of him returning to previous, pre injury Luck are non-existent. 

Cam, as good as he was, is on the decline.  We'd be trading one washed up QB in Rivers, for one that is borderline washed up. 

Luck quit the team, sure. Good on the kid. Wish him well always. Mental and physical health are worth a lot. If he feels he is in a better place and ready to play...knowing a guy like that who doesn't make decisions lightly, I'd welcome him 100%. And if he came back and you traded him away, he'd go elsewhere and win a ring or three, and you'd be left feeling smug because at least you showed him, and you stood by your principles. 

Cam is on the decline? Yeah, same with Rodgers. LOL. But more seriously, Cam has been better this season than last, in what world is that a decline?

12 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Luck quit the team, sure. Good on the kid. Wish him well always. Mental and physical health are worth a lot. If he feels he is in a better place and ready to play...knowing a guy like that who doesn't make decisions lightly, I'd welcome him 100%. And if he came back and you traded him away, he'd go elsewhere and win a ring or three, and you'd be left feeling smug because at least you showed him, and you stood by your principles. 

Cam is on the decline? Yeah, same with Rodgers. LOL. But more seriously, Cam has been better this season than last, in what world is that a decline?

its not about principals.  You are missing my point. that being that I would not be willing to gamble 25 million plus on a QB that hasn't played football in 2+ years, would be 33 or older when he came back and one that has a proven questionable desire to continue playing football. 

But we're arguing over nothing, because none of this is going to happen. Cam is NOT coming to the Colts, this year, next year or beyond. Nor is Luck coming back.  We will, if we aren't happy with Eason, almost certainly draft our next QB.

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

its not about principals.  You are missing my point. that being that I would not be willing to gamble 25 million plus on a QB that hasn't played football in 2+ years, would be 33 or older when he came back and one that has a proven questionable desire to continue playing football. 

But we're arguing over nothing, because none of this is going to happen. Cam is NOT coming to the Colts, this year, next year or beyond. Nor is Luck coming back.  We will, if we aren't happy with Eason, almost certainly draft our next QB.

That wasn't the point you made initially. You've expanded on it, thanks for that.

I'd take Luck in a heartbeat and see where he's at. No one is saying he'd be starting without training camp. Oh, and he has played after missing considerable time before.

We're playing what-if. If you're done playing, that's okay. The present is Rivers, the future is TBD.

The nice thing about Darnold is you would have two years before having to pay him. So you wouldn’t be stuck like you would be if a guy like Dak didn’t work out. I wouldn’t give up anything huge for Darnold though because we need a Lt and a few other pieces. I agree he would have to come in and compete with Eason. He shouldn’t be handed the job.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jacoby - before he got hurt and before the Colts receivers and tight ends were decimated by injuries - wasn't great, but he was better than the JB haters understand. I'm surprised that people who watched the games last year didn't recognize or won't acknowledge that not just his mobility, but his passing accuracy, was clearly impacted after he came back from the knee injury.  If you could take last year's running game and Jacoby's play early in the season and combine it with this year's improved, if overrated, defense and a relatively healthy receiver corps, that wouldn't be a bad team.   

Well it won't be Matt Ryan. The Falcons would have a dead cap hit of $49 million if they let him go. That ain't happening especially if the salary cap is lowered next season. Out of the options mentioned I think Sam Darnold is the most intriguing. He'll just be 24 going into next season. The kid has some skills. He just needs some decent coaching. If we were to get him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick I wouldn't mind. We would also have the option of picking up his 5th year option. I would prefer going with Darnold over an aging QB.

29 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Jacoby - before he got hurt and before the Colts receivers and tight ends were decimated by injuries - wasn't great, but he was better than the JB haters understand. I'm surprised that people who watched the games last year didn't recognize or won't acknowledge that not just his mobility, but his passing accuracy, was clearly impacted after he came back from the knee injury.  If you could take last year's running game and Jacoby's play early in the season and combine it with this year's improved, if overrated, defense and a relatively healthy receiver corps, that wouldn't be a bad team.   

Let’s not forget we have a reliable kicker now too. That would of helped last years point differential.

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What do you have against Cam? He's probably too flamboyant for you, huh?

He led a mid tier at best franchise to a super bowl and I think won a mvp.

And now he's doing well in new england and is very well liked.

IF, I mean IF, we are gonna move on from Rivers, Brissett, and Eason, I’d rather draft our future Franchise QB vs trying to piece meal 1-2 year QB deals for veterans with a LOT of mileage. 
I have nothing against Cam Newton. But his peak has passed and he’s closer to the end of his career than the beginning. Yes, he’s doing ok in New England, and I applaud him for it. He’s also being coached by one of, if not the greatest coach in history. As much as I dislike BB, he’s no doubt a great coach who maximizes his players. Most likely if Cam keeps this up, the Patriots will extend him long before he’d hit the open market anyway

Archived