Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets have released Bell

chad72

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

He's always had that me me me attitude and it caused him to leave Pittsburgh.

He then went to an absolute train wreck of a team and used every opportunity regardless of teams success to trash the Jets including liking a post of Jets misusing him and wanting to get out.

Players demand trades all the time but this is the 2nd time he's acted like a fool and I don't think he deserves 3rd opportunity even 1 year prove it.

Let's say we do 1 year rental he goes off here he can sign huge contract elsewhere or he plays like crap and his career becomes XFL and Canadian league craptastic options.

The Jets are an absolute dumpster fire. He's not the only one that hates it there. Jamal Adams wanted out, Kelechi Osemele wanted out, Quincy Eunewa wanted out, Robby Anderson signed with the Panthers instead of re-signing with the Jets even though he and Darnold are good friends. Bell is just the latest in a two year span because of Adam Gase and inept ownership. When that many players want out, it's not a player problem, it's a team problem.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Jets are an absolute dumpster fire. He's not the only one that hates it there. Jamal Adams wanted out, Kelechi Osemele wanted out, Quincy Eunewa wanted out, Robby Anderson signed with the Panthers instead of re-signing with the Jets even though he and Darnold are good friends. Bell is just the latest in a two year span because of Adam Gase and inept ownership. When that many players want out, it's not a player problem, it's a team problem.

if that's the case I hope gase goes to Houston lmao

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

He sat out an entire year for a contract then settled for less than he asked after he realized nobody wanted to sign him.

He then came to the Jets and played like garbage and thinks he deserves another shot. 

He misread the market, that makes him a clown? These players have short lifespans (shorter for RBs), they need to maximize their earnings. If anything, not enough of the star players are holding out when they ought to.

I'm not sure why many people tend to side with big business over the everyday man. 

The Jets are a joke who have ruined most players under Gase. 

You speak as if he was acting like Antonio Brown in Pitt.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

He then went to an absolute train wreck of a team and used every opportunity regardless of teams success to trash the Jets including liking a post of Jets misusing him and wanting to get out.

Players demand trades all the time but this is the 2nd time he's acted like a fool and I don't think he deserves 3rd opportunity even 1 year prove it.

Let's say we do 1 year rental he goes off here he can sign huge contract elsewhere or he plays like crap and his career becomes XFL and Canadian league craptastic options.

Me me me attitude? Bring proper receipts of that. The most you'll find is some people (Oline) unhappy that he held out. He put self and the bag first over team. After watching what's happened to Dak, it's a pretty quick and cold reminder of the brutal cold nature of the sport. Bell and his agent miscalculated but their initial ask wasn't wrong per se. He was a RB who caught a bulk of passes and asked to be paid as such rather than standard IIRC i.e. pay him as a WR/RB. What's absurd about that? When pro bowl voting comes, every year you find a player who's grouped wrongly and who voters dont quite know what to do about because of positional questions. I believe it happened with Darius Leonard. What was so 'crazy' about Bell's ask?

You'd assume he now has a clearer idea of his worth and wants to 'prove it'. This me me me talk is exactly what people said about Cam Newton, now 90% of the football world wonders how blind people were to let him drop right into Belichick's waiting arms. Every time a player doesn't conform to the NFL's bidding, he's labeled and painted as the bad guy and folks like you lap it up.

2nd time he's acted like a fool? For wanting to get paid? You missed the part where right from the jump, Adam 'galaxy brain' Gase didn't want him? And how that story continued throughout his time there? Way to really burnish the story. 

When it comes to money and players getting paid, siding with the ball club or the league is just.....it is almost always the wrong thing to do. They control everything including the narrative. Bell tested the RB pay waters so guys like Kamara wouldn't. He was that guy whose case made it clear that the NFL wouldn't be paying RBs big money (unless you are CMC and the Panthers will regret that deal if Mike Davis hasn't already shown that to them), before him that was still a debate. Post-Bell, everyone is clear what the market is unfortunately for running backs. It's the precedence-setter. It's why Alvin Kamara knows he isnt getting the bag like he'd want. It's why we all knew Marlon Mack would not (even pre-JT) get paid. 

If the Colts believe Bell can still run then absolutely bring him in. Mack was clearly the best RB on this team and I know people point to the line issues but in the small sample we saw in the Jags game, Mack looked like a MAN running the ball, clearly better than any other Colts RB. It's not simply a case of the line regressing. If the front office don't think he can add to the running (and passing) game then sure keep things moving on but arguing that Ballard shouldn't look at Bell because of some perceived 'me me' attitude is ludicrous.

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

If I were Lawrence, I would refuse to play there. Sad to say, but Joe Burrow probably should have done the same thing with Cincy. I can safely say as a Bengals fan that the franchise is in a very poor state, and Burrow has practically zero help. 

Indy was the same way with Peyton the first year or so. 3-13 remember? Not saying Burrow is the next Peyton, but I do like what I see. Once Cincy gets him help next year, I think he'll explode 

34 minutes ago, Myles said:

In Bell's last season in Pit he averaged 4.0 yards per carry.   With the Jets he averaged 3.2 and 3.9 YPC.  

That doesn't mean he isn't good, but it may mean he isn't one of the best RB's in the league anymore.  

not much difference in 4.0 vs 3.9.... just saying

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

not much difference in 4.0 vs 3.9.... just saying

Not at all, I was more just pointing out the decline:

2014 - 4.7

2015 - 4.9

2016 - 4.9

2017 - 4.0

2019 - 3.2

2020 - 3.9

I don't think it is a huge deal, just that most teams will prefer to use their younger RB's.  

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They should put Adam Gase at RB and see how fast he wants to get out of there. :) 

Colt.45. Wish I could give you 10 likes for your post.  As much as Rivers loves to replace the running game with short throws, Bell would be a great fit.  His receiving skills have always been top flight. Plus I think he’d be motivated to ball out. He & Taylor could be a nice Thunder & Lightning tandem the rest of the way & take some pressure off of Phillip.  

And we’ve seen what Wilkins & Hines can do & neither have shown themselves to consistently be workhorses who can rip off big plays on 3 straight touches. Hines maybe in the pass game but would we trust him in there on 3rd & 2 to run it?  We’d trust both Bell & Taylor in that situation. 

55 minutes ago, Myles said:

In Bell's last season in Pit he averaged 4.0 yards per carry.   With the Jets he averaged 3.2 and 3.9 YPC.  

That doesn't mean he isn't good, but it may mean he isn't one of the best RB's in the league anymore.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

2014 - 4.7

2015 - 4.9

2016 - 4.9

2017 - 4.0

2019 - 3.2

2020 - 3.9

I don't think it is a huge deal, just that most teams will prefer to use their younger RB's.  

This is one of many reasons why you don't spend first round picks or big money on RB.  Most of them peak very quickly and burn out very quickly.  

I'm not 100% opposed to bringing Bell in for cheap. . . he would almost certainly do better with the Colts than he did with the Jets.  On our end, I would see handing him carries as opposed to giving them to Hines as a superior option.   But he probably isn't the same player he was with Pittsburg.  

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Colt.45. Wish I could give you 10 likes for your post.  As much as Rivers loves to replace the running game with short throws, Bell would be a great fit.  His receiving skills have always been top flight. Plus I think he’d be motivated to ball out. He & Taylor could be a nice Thunder & Lightning tandem the rest of the way & take some pressure off of Phillip.  

And we’ve seen what Wilkins & Hines can do & neither have shown themselves to consistently be workhorses who can rip off big plays on 3 straight touches. Hines maybe in the pass game but would we trust him in there on 3rd & 2 to run it?  We’d trust both Bell & Taylor in that situation. 

You do make a very compelling case.   

He took a year off, so that first year showed his rust on a bad team. His last year with the Jets was like the last year with the Steelers. He didn't want to be there and made little effort. I have no idea if he still has anything in the tank, I'd be more concerned about his attitude in the locker. Both the Steelers and Jets aren't crying to see him gone..

16 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

He took a year off, so that first year showed his rust on a bad team. His last year with the Jets was like the last year with the Steelers. He didn't want to be there and made little effort. I have no idea if he still has anything in the tank, I'd be more concerned about his attitude in the locker. Both the Steelers and Jets aren't crying to see him gone..

The primary question is whether he can still tote the rock. Honestly I'm not sure, it's hard to glean anything from the Jets. Everything Gase touches seems to shrivel.

The secondary question #1 would be locker room effect. I don't know that Bell is a bad guy. His squabble was always about getting paid. That's not an issue now because he'd assumably be coming in on a one year prove-it deal. With his age, the Colts can do with him as they've done with Rivers. 

The only other issue Bell had in Pitt was occasionally he'd get asked about whether they needed to run the ball more and he'd give his honest opinion. I can't see how that's a problem here, the Colts have had several players say that openly. 

As far as crying about him leaving. It's the NFL, that rarely happens. Not every player is Andrew Luck. The business of the NFL wins most of the time.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

2014 - 4.7

2015 - 4.9

2016 - 4.9

2017 - 4.0

2019 - 3.2

2020 - 3.9

yeah. I'm not for getting Bell, then or now. 

On 10/13/2020 at 11:24 PM, danlhart87 said:

I don't like Bell, but RB in the NFL is one of the most  brutal jobs a person can have in the modern world.  I don't blame him one bit for trying to get more money.  It didn't work out for him.  So what?  Guys hold out.

As far as his performance with the Jets.  It's the Jets.

If the Colts are serious about trying to win this year we should sign him immediately.  We are LAST in the league in rushing ypc since Mack's injury.

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't like Bell, but RB in the NFL is one of the most  brutal jobs a person can have in the modern world.  I don't blame him one bit for trying to get more money.  It didn't work out for him.  So what?  Guys hold out.

As far as his performance with the Jets.  It's the Jets.

If the Colts are serious about trying to win this year we should sign him immediately.  We are LAST in the league in rushing ypc since Mack's injury.

No matter the teams hes been on hes had a very poor attitude.

Its a moot point anyway cause he isnt coming here

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

just doesnt bother me if he helps the team win

might turn some heads but i would say michael Jordan had a pretty crappy attitude for a while.  fought with management and team mates 

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

He's been on two teams.  He played very well for a very good team, and uh the Jets.

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

might turn some heads but i would say michael Jordan had a pretty crappy attitude for a while.  fought with management and team mates 

amen Amen Amen.  Just win baby.  I can't stand the sanctimony of so many fans the older I get.  

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He's been on two teams.  He played very well for a very good team, and uh the Jets.

amen Amen Amen.  Just win baby.  I can't stand the sanctimony of so many fans the older I get.  

The thing is, can he help anyone "just win"? He hasn't played good in 4 years with one of those years he sat out. He WAS a great running back, he's not anymore..

34 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

The fans loved Jordon though.  Not the case with Bell.   He's just not a likable guy.  Poor attitude and vocal about it  That is not a good combination.  

i wonder what type of contract he signs.   If a 1 year deal, I would like to see the Colts get him, but I think he'll sign a 2-3 year deal with the Chiefs.  

53 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The thing is, can he help anyone "just win"? He hasn't played good in 4 years with one of those years he sat out. He WAS a great running back, he's not anymore..

Well I surely don't know how good he is, but I feel pretty safe saying that he is better than what his performance looks like with the woeful, mismanaged Jets.

I would suspect he still has some plays in him as litttle as he's played the last few years.

Our rushing is the worst in the leage by ypc.   I doubt our Oline is suddenly the worst in the league, so it must be something else.

I think the Colts should try to get a guy like this.  He might really turn it around for himself and the team.

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

I don't know if he's great or not, but last year he had 66 receptions.  He had 1200+yds combined too.  That was for a terrible team.

He sat out the year before, but if you are calling 2017 a down year, he had almost 2000 yds combined with a whopping 85 receptions.  He did only have  a 4.0 yds per carry but he had alot of production.

I think he's worth going for.  I wish they would be the highest bidder this year and see if it works.  We have the money.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I don't know if he's great or not, but last year he had 66 receptions.  He had 1200+yds combined too.  That was for a terrible team.

He sat out the year before, but if you are calling 2017 a down year, he had almost 2000 yds combined with a whopping 85 receptions.  He did only have  a 4.0 yds per carry but he had alot of production.

I think he's worth going for.  I wish they would be the highest bidder this year and see if it works.  We have the money.

Make no mistake, I agree. But two things come to mind. 1. How much will he want, and would he take a 1 or 2 year deal? And 2, does the coaches think his personality, the one that clashed in Pittsburg, can fit in here..

13 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

And 2, does the coaches think his personality, the one that clashed in Pittsburg, can fit in here..

he didnt clash with the coaches until he sat out.  that happened because he was tagged twice and no RB of his caliber would have wanted that

there was no locker room drama until he held out, le'veon later said he didnt care for ben roethlisberger.  ben never commented on that 

Archived