Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way Too Early - What would you do with 2021 first pick?

We're only 5 games into the season, and this question is best asked somewhere around Feb/March next year.

However!

Assuming we finish 10-6 or 9-7, we'll probably end up with a pick in the 19 to 23 range.

What would you do with our 2021 1st round pick?

• Quincy Roche, DE, Miami
  • Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
  • Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St
  • Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
  • Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio St
  • Trade pick for Sam Darnold, QB, NY Jets

I'm guessing we'll end up with an 8-8 or 9-7 record at best. Rivers isn't protecting the ball like he should and Reich hasn't opened up the playbook yet. 

With that said, I would like Ballard to try and land Trey Lance somehow at QB. This team needs an exciting QB with a live arm. 

If we don't target a QB early, we need help at LT and DE in the early rounds. 

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

We're only 5 games into the season, and this question is best asked somewhere around Feb/March next year.

However!

Assuming we finish 10-6 or 9-7, we'll probably end up with a pick in the 19 to 23 range.

What would you do with our 2021 1st round pick?

• Quincy Roche, DE, Miami
  • Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
  • Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St
  • Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
  • Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio St
  • Trade pick for Sam Darnold, QB, NY Jets

First...   ESPN had an article in the last few days saying GM’s around the NFL do NOT believe the Jets will get a first round pick if they decide to trade Darnold.

So the question becomes what pick  would you give up if you still like the kid?   I’m not sure I see the Colts liking Darnold more than Eason.

As to the other options, I see Ballard taking a lineman 4 years out of 5 on average.   So, either DE or OT would be the choice in 2021.   

• Like 2

Make whatever trade necessary to get Trey Lance. We're a QB away from being a great team. The QBs in this draft are too good to pass up just for the hope of Eason developing down the road.

• Like 2

Knowing Ballard, he will trade down from the 1st to gain a 2nd round pick and we get an edge rusher and WR in the 2nd round.  Then he will say, look...a few hundred times...:peek:

Should have just traded with the Eagles at No.21 and gotten Jordan Love.

• Like 1

Let us say we barely make the playoffs as a wild card at No.7 in the AFC and lose in the wild card round and pick at No.26

My draft on Day 1 and 2 would go like this:

1. Jayson Oweh, EDGE, Penn State - Freakish athletic at 257 lbs, heard he could run a 40 in the high 4.3s, played 38% of snaps, had a 81.8 pass-rushing grade on just 207 pass-rushing snaps. He will project real well on our defense with his quick twitch and pass rush.

2. Tre Walker, WR, San Jose State - 5'11", 195 lbs - He is very versatile inside and outside, good route runner and electric. You guys should read this about Tre Walker. Another guy I like is Tylan Wallace of Oklahoma State here.

3. Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State - 6'6", 301 lbs - good blindside protecting prospect

Leatherwood, as long as he's worth the pick. 

Roche would be second choice, and would have to rate much much higher than Leatherwood to be selected over him.  Although I would always like to have a pass rusher that is dominate, EDGE rushing can still be accomplished by a rotation of rushers. 

No team rotates LTs.  

On 10/15/2020 at 5:34 PM, DougDew said:

Leatherwood, as long as he's worth the pick. 

Roche would be second choice, and would have to rate much much higher than Leatherwood to be selected over him.  Although I would always like to have a pass rusher that is dominate, EDGE rushing can still be accomplished by a rotation of rushers. 

No team rotates LTs.  

Since Rousseau opted out, the best DE at Miami has been UCLA transfer and #1 hs recruit Jaelan Phillips. He had some injury issues at UCLA but he is playing really well and starting to reach his potential.