Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich on the Cleveland Game and Going Forward

coltsfeva

Probably one of the most exasperating things about a loss is the knee jerk reactions from fans and media:

Bench Rivers!

Get rid of Reich!

Fire Ballard!

Get a FA receiver! Anybody!

etc, etc

Everybody has a right to their opinion and to be fair, you have to look at what went wrong to be totally objective.

Which brings me to Reich’s conference call, which I thought touched on accountability, bright spots and issues that have to be addressed.

The end result for me, was the hope that the Colts can play/coach better and they have the confidence they can do it.

It’s on to Cincinnati!!!

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This isn’t about a loss to me. This is about a offense that looks old and stale. Boring as hell. Anyone watch the chargers last night and see how exciting it is to have a young QB. That was a very exciting game. They have a lot to look forward to in the future despite the record.

call me when the Chargers when the Superbowl. until then, i'm not judging anything based on a limited sample size

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

call me when the Chargers when the Superbowl. until then, i'm not judging anything based on a limited sample size

Herbert looks very exciting. They are going to be good as he mature. I would rather watch a game like that last night and lose then some of our games this year knowing we are set at QB and the future looks bright. Right now we are stuck in a boring cycle where the team is just boring to watch. Feels like we aren’t close to anything and wasting some of our best players.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Herbert looks very exciting. They are going to be good as he mature. I would rather watch a game like that last night and lose then some of our games this year knowing we are set at QB and the future looks bright. Right now we are stuck in a boring cycle where the team is just boring to watch. Feels like we aren’t close to anything and wasting some of our best players.

We all want to be able to say, we have a  long-term solution at QB. Maybe Eason will be that guy.

But I think we’re going to see the offensive line improve and as a result, Taylor breaking a few and some improvement in the passing game.

I agree that Rivers had a bad game, not just the interception and safety but some bad throws as well. The thing I noticed after watching the game was, he had presser in his face, too many times and that’s got to be considered. 
     It’s a long season and we’re 3-2. Getting Pittman, Castonzo, Leonard and (hopefully) Campbell back will help. 

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Probably one of the most exasperating things about a loss is the knee jerk reactions from fans and media:

Bench Rivers!

Get rid of Reich!

Fire Ballard!

etc, etc

Everybody has a right to their opinion and to be fair, you have to look at what went wrong to be totally objective.

Which brings me to Reich’s conference call, which I thought touched on accountability, bright spots and issues that have to be addressed.

The end result for me, was the hope that the Colts can play/coach better and they have the confidence they can do it.

It’s on to Cincinnati!!!

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

A couple of observations:

1. Rivers is the qb and has the support of the coaches and players.  He never thought of going to Jacoby.
  2. No one asked about the pass distribution to the TE's and how MAC has been invisible ?  I was shocked no one asked the question.
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I can tell you haven't been a Charger fan for very long. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

We all want to be able to say, we have a  long-term solution at QB. Maybe Eason will be that guy.

But I think we’re going to see the offensive line improve and as a result, Taylor breaking a few and some improvement in the passing game.

I agree that Rivers had a bad game, not just the interception and safety but some bad throws as well. The thing I noticed after watching the game was, he had presser in his face, too many times and that’s got to be considered. 
     It’s a long season and we’re 3-2. Getting Pittman, Castonzo, Leonard and (hopefully) Campbell back will help. 

The thing is we are going to play teams that get pressure. We either need to learn to deal with it or it’s going to be a long season. I will give it a little pass last week because that wasn’t the game to be missing AC. Sounds like he might be out this week also. Coaches need to develop a better screen game and quick hitting offense to help with the pressure.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

The thing is we are going to play teams that get pressure. We either need to learn to deal with it or it’s going to be a long season. I will give it a little pass last week because that wasn’t the game to be missing AC. Sounds like he might be out this week also. Coaches need to develop a better screen game and quick hitting offense to help with the pressure.

Ravens game could be a blow out. Raiders game as well. Packers game a shootout.  

I saw people question Frank’s play calling but I missed people calling for his job.  Not saying it didn’t happen but if it did I think it was a very small minority and you are always going to have extremest no matter the issue.  You just dismiss them and move on.  Same with people calling for Ballard’s job.  Again if it happened I missed it but I would say it’s a very small minority.  

remember questioning something doesn’t mean you are saying fire the person.  Even Peyton Manning made mistakes that people questioned at times.  

6 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Bench Rivers!

Get rid of Reich!

Fire Ballard!

etc, etc

It’s on to Cincinnati!!!

You are letting your bias as a colts fan blind you to the reality of the situation . Its not about one game , rivers struggled every game this season to score touchdowns while throwing 5 picks in 5 games.    At this point in the season last year jacoby had 10 touchdowns to 2 picks .  rivers has 4 touchdown to 5 picks .   Its not good enough and he needs to be better.   After watching rivers miss the playoffs in his prime multiple times with teams with talent , i have a hard time believing at 39 rivers will get it done unless the defense carries him .  We will see he has time to improve i watched brady at age 41 with no talent on offense besides edleman carry the pats in 2016  .  we will see if rivers can carry this team .  right now as it is if a team goes up two scores the game is out of reach and rivers will start trying to do to much and make a bad judgement and throw a pick.

10 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

You are letting your bias as a colts fan blind you to the reality of the situation . Its not about one game , rivers struggled every game this season to score touchdowns while throwing 5 picks in 5 games.    At this point in the season last year jacoby had 10 touchdowns to 2 picks .  rivers has 4 touchdown to 5 picks .   Its not good enough and he needs to be better.   After watching rivers miss the playoffs in his prime multiple times with teams with talent , i have a hard time believing at 39 rivers will get it done unless the defense carries him .  We will see he has time to improve i watched brady at age 41 with no talent on offense besides edleman carry the pats in 2016  .  we will see if rivers can carry this team .  right now as it is if a team goes up two scores the game is out of reach and rivers will start trying to do to much and make a bad judgement and throw a pick.

I agree. That's  why the ravens,Steelers, raiders, and packers games scare me. You throw a pick 6 versus ravens or Steelers  and you are almost  guaranteed to  lose. They giving Rodgers or carr a short field won't  end well.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Rivers has had many poor games during the past few years. That’s why the Chargers parted ways with him. Now the Colts are going to end up wasting this year with him.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This isn’t about a loss to me. This is about a offense that looks old and stale. Boring as hell. Anyone watch the chargers last night and see how exciting it is to have a young QB. That was a very exciting game. They have a lot to look forward to in the future despite the record.

Unless Ballard and Reich have full belief in Eason in the offseason, I would prefer making a trade up to get Trey Lance. We need an exciting QB with a live arm. 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Unless Ballard and Reich have full belief in Eason in the offseason, I would prefer making a trade up to get Trey Lance. We need an exciting QB with a live arm. 

We are in a situation where most likely we are either playing a rookie next season or Eason will start. But at least we should be exciting and be able to look towards the future. A guy like Lance might end up dropping some with only playing one game. If we get someone like that maybe it comes down to someone like him competing with Eason for the starting  job.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We are in a situation where most likely we are either playing a rookie next season or Eason will start. But at least we should be exciting and be able to look towards the future. A guy like Lance might end up dropping some with only playing one game. If we get someone like that maybe it comes down to someone like him competing with Eason for the starting  job.

Anthony Gordon looked really good in college even threw for 5,500yards and 48 tds yet hes a free agent at the moment. hope we look at him before another team does

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Fix.your.punctuation.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The Chargers went out and added pieces on both sides of the ball and also upgraded their OL coach.  Now they have a young QB who looks great.

They are 1-4, and 0-4 with Herbert.

Everyone said that roster was loaded, Lynn was a good coach, but Rivers was holding them back.  Oops.

For many years, Rivers put up fantastic numbers, much like Herbert is doing now, but failed to win enough games for casual fans to recognize his greatness.  The Chargers are a losing organization.  You don't want the Colts to be like them, trust me.

25 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Rivers has had many poor games during the past few years. That’s why the Chargers parted ways with him. Now the Colts are going to end up wasting this year with him.

He had some bad games last year, on a team that is now currently 1-4 without him, after upgrading several units.

Two years ago he led them to 12-4 and was in the MVP discussion late in the season.  So, i don't think your statement is an accurate one.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Your hatred for Rivers is well known by now.

You wanting Brissett in is a joke.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Rivers made those throws last year (albeit with less velocity and distance) which is why Mike Williams led the league in YPC. 

Maybe it’s not the age of the QB that makes football exciting but the play calling? 

1 hour ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

He had some bad games last year, on a team that is now currently 1-4 without him, after upgrading several units.

Two years ago he led them to 12-4 and was in the MVP discussion late in the season.  So, i don't think your statement is an accurate one.

The Chargers would not of let him walk if they thought he had anything in the tank. Herbert could have played or learned behind Rivers, but they moved on. The mistakes Rivers made is beyond explanation for a 17 year veteran.

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

The Chargers would not of let him walk if they thought he had anything in the tank. Herbert could have played or learned behind Rivers, but they moved on. The mistakes Rivers made is beyond explanation for a 17 year veteran.

It could be a case of too where the Chargers had such a high pick that they just wanted to move on. They knew they were going to be able to get a QB to their liking and just rebuild. Like with us letting Peyton go, it was much easier knowing Luck was coming in. 

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It could be a case of too where the Chargers had such a high pick that they just wanted to move on. They knew they were going to be able to get a QB to their liking and just rebuild. Like with us letting Peyton go, it was much easier knowing Luck was coming in. 

Thats the problem though isn't it?

The Colts should constantly be in the 15 to 25 range come draft time.

I hope they are aggressive and trade up for Lance.

It wouldn't even upset me if we sold the farm for Lawrence. 

29 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats the problem though isn't it?

The Colts should constantly be in the 15 to 25 range come draft time.

I hope they are aggressive and trade up for Lance.

It wouldn't even upset me if we sold the farm for Lawrence. 

I am not even sure what whatever team has the #1 pick would want for Lawrence? I think Lawrence will good, maybe great same for Burrow. Having said that by the eye test I knew Luck would be good - great and it didn't shock me at all he got us to the playoffs even after going 2-14. IMO Luck is better than Lawrence or Burrow. 

3 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Listen to podcast GM Shuffle with ex gm  Mike Lombardi at 28.40 mins in. He is brutally honest bout Rivers

2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

He had a bad year, the Chargers needed to resign other younger players to big contracts, Rivers never fit into Lynn's plans, and he had also become unhappy there.

Lots of factors went into it, but you won't know that unless you followed the team.

Also, you act like no veteran ever makes mistakes.  Brady just had 5 pick 6's in a 7 game stretch.  Brees has thrown the game losing INT in the Saints last two playoff runs.  Peyton had 9/18 TD/INT and won a super bowl...he also threw more INTs than TDs in the playoffs in both of his SB winning years (as did Brady for his last SB).

I'm not guaranteeing that Rivers takes the Colts deep into the playoffs, but I'm also not counting it out just yet.  When things are clicking, he is a tough out.

On 10/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, coltsfeva said:

Rivers has pressure in his face because he can't get out of the dang way, struggling in mobility. 

47 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Rivers has pressure in his face because he can't get out of the dang way, struggling in mobility. 

Rivers didn't play well but be honest, he was under intense pressure every time he dropped back. Any QB would have been under pressure . Granted he is not mobile by any means but the OL sure as h*ll shouldn't get a pass.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:19 AM, coltsfeva said:

Bench Rivers!

Get rid of Reich!

Fire Ballard!

etc, etc

It’s on to Cincinnati!!!

Rivers is washed , he doesn’t have any arm strength left at this point and his mobility is the worst in the league , looking at him throw reminds me of chad Pennington. I can’t be the only one seeing this  Rivers is laboring to throw 8-10 yards passes no zip at all . He has nice touch and accuracy is to bad but the ball takes to long to get there and the nfl is a league of inches and seconds , the defensive players are to athletic to not have any zip in ball

The Defensive philosophy in the first half to play soft AND the bad performance of the OL is what lost this game. Rivers is not the QB to carry this team on his shoulders to victory,  especially without weapons and a under performing OL.

For this team to win the Defense needs to be stout for 60 minutes and the OL play and coaches,playcalling needs to improve much.

14 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Rivers is washed , he doesn’t have any arm strength left at this point and his mobility is the worst in the league , looking at him throw reminds me of chad Pennington. I can’t be the only one seeing this  Rivers is laboring to throw 8-10 yards passes no zip at all . He has nice touch and accuracy is to bad but the ball takes to long to get there and the nfl is a league of inches and seconds , the defensive players are to athletic to not have any zip in ball

I think it’s more of a matter of him making bad decisions under pressure.

This is pretty apparent in this breakdown of the Cleveland game.

On the pick six, he had Pascal open and Taylor in the flat, but he telegraphed the pass to Hilton. I don’t think he would have had issues getting the ball to Pascal or Taylor. He had time to throw but just made a bad decision. Correctable mistake.

On the safety, he had Taylor in the flat but was under pressure and I wonder why they didn’t go max protect. More of an issue of play calling and something both he and Reich can learn from.

On the int to Cox, he had Burton wide open, again under pressure and that could have been a big gain. Correctable mistake.

I’m just not sold on the “noodle arm” narrative. He’s arm strength is a question but I don’t think it’s * bad as some say.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:13 AM, coltsfeva said:

I think it’s more of a matter of him making bad decisions under pressure.

This is pretty apparent in this breakdown of the Cleveland game.

On the pick six, he had Pascal open and Taylor in the flat, but he telegraphed the pass to Hilton. I don’t think he would have had issues getting the ball to Pascal or Taylor. He had time to throw but just made a bad decision. Correctable mistake.

On the safety, he had Taylor in the flat but was under pressure and I wonder why they didn’t go max protect. More of an issue of play calling and something both he and Reich can learn from.

On the int to Cox, he had Burton wide open, again under pressure and that could have been a big gain. Correctable mistake.

I’m just not sold on the “noodle arm” narrative. He’s arm strength is a question but I don’t think it’s * bad as some say.

I will say with time he can make a pass , but most of the starting qbs in the league can make good decisions and good passes when they not under pressure and have time, I did notice a big difference with up tempo no huddle type offense vs under center 

Archived