Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

State of the Franchise

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy with Ballard, happy with Reich...with some concerns.

Let’s face it, we’re going nowhere unless we get a franchise QB.  

in the past we had mediocre to bad teams that were elevated by franchise QBs.

Now we have a good team trying to elevate mediocre QBs.   

Finding a QB after Andrew has hamstrung us unfortunately. Fix that and a lot of the supposed problems look better.

Rivers is/was hopefully a quick short term fix. 

It is what it is unfortunately, we're in NFL limbo. A good/solid team at times, but one that cant fall behind or overcome many mistakes.

I am happy about:

- our owner

- our GM with a slight criticism to follow in the "not happy about part" 

- the overall talent and depth on the roster(position-agnostic)

- the LB core

- the starting OL

- RB core

- Buckner

I'm not happy about/worried:

- the high value positions on this team are worrysome, this is the reason I think we are not winning more even though I think we have good talent on the roster - the talent is concentrated into positions that are not high value win positions

- no long term QB on the roster

- no long term WR on the roster - TY has probably slowed down... and his contract expires... Everyone else is unproven/injured or JAG

- question marks about the CB-core going forward - is Rock good enough? Is Rhodes good now/staying? 

- no long term DE on the roster ... is any of our recent day 2 picks going to pan out or are they all busts/injury risks?

- no long-term LT ... this is what I'm talking about... look at that list... every single one of the most important positions in football for winning is a question mark going forward for this team... 

Reich has had some weird playcalling issues too, but it's too early to put him in that last category so I'm just putting it out here separate of those points as something to watch for the rest of the season. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I am happy about:

- our owner

- our GM with a slight criticism to follow in the "not happy about part" 

- the overall talent and depth on the roster(position-agnostic)

- the LB core

- the starting OL

- RB core

- Buckner

- the high value positions on this team are worrysome, this is the reason I think we are not winning more even though I think we have good talent on the roster - the talent is concentrated into positions that are not high value win positions

- no long term WR on the roster - TY has probably slowed down... and his contract expires... Everyone else is unproven/injured or JAG

- question marks about the CB-core going forward - is Rock good enough? Is Rhodes good now/staying? 

- no long term DE on the roster ... is any of our recent day 2 picks going to pan out or are they all busts/injury risks?

- no long-term LT

Reich has had some weird playcalling issues too, but it's too early to put him in that last category so I'm just putting it out here separate of those points as something to watch for the rest of the season. 

I also am worried about the high priced/premium positions that most teams have trouble with. Problem with us is we have so many of those prime positions that need upgrading now or very soon......

LT (AC isn't getting younger)

Houston is 50 years old and still playing well, but for how much longer in reality can he keep it up? 

WR , TY isn't loved much here and can still play but there's literally nobody else on the roster who teams have to worry about. That makes it hard for any WR.

QB... Without one you are one of those teams that's never realistically a threat to win it all. Perpetual limbo.

And another part that sucks, those are the most expensive positions to fill.

We've definitely got some good parts, but no studs at the 'premium' positions.

Im concerned with Franks and Ballards ability to identify quarterback and wide receiver talent. Im not even going to begin to list all the wide receivers in the league lighting it up right now that we had a chance to draft. 

As well they both seen Jacoby as a potential starter and they both apparently didn't see any diminished ability in Phils game. The first 5 games definitely show that Rivers is close to done and Chargers nation was likely correct, he is ready for a coaching gig. 

Pretty much everything else is great I think Reich has good potential and is getting better, although his playcalling is suspect sometimes. I think we have one of the better GM's in the game. Just need to assemble that offense a bit better.

Happy with the roster overall.   More depth than we have had in a long time.   

Happy with the direction of the defensive personnel.   

Happy with the O-line.

Concerned about Eberflus and his schemes.

Concerned about Reich and his confusing play calling. 

Concerned about the QB position.  Not just Rivers.  Brissett should be gone after this season (hopefully) and if Rivers doesn't improve we only have Eason and I don't know how good he can be.  

Concerned about managements evaluation of skill positions. They thought Rivers was still good and even I could see that Rivers is washed up watching him play last year! And Brissett is even worse yet. I would have rather seen them go after Cam or Carr. We have had a lot of bad luck drafting wide receivers. I am afraid we picked the wrong receiver  from Ohio State (McLaurin) and D.K. Metcalf and Claypool sure would have looked good in colts uniforms. I also wish Frank would get more inventive with the plays and play calling.

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

Concerned about managements evaluation of skill positions. They thought Rivers was still good and even I could see that Rivers is washed up watching him play last year! And Brissett is even worse yet. I would have rather seen them go after Cam or Carr. We have had a lot of bad luck drafting wide receivers. I am afraid we picked the wrong receiver  from Ohio State (McLaurin) and D.K. Metcalf and Claypool sure would have looked good in colts uniforms. I also wish Frank would get more inventive with the plays and play calling.

It could be worse, we could be 1-4 like the Texans. What is your take on Deshaun Watson lmao, is he washed up? 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

- no long-term LT ... this is what I'm talking about... look at that list... every single one of the most important positions in football for winning is a question mark going forward for this team... 

Bingo.

Its a .500 win roster.  Any team needs threats at several positions on offense in order to be a consistent playoff team.  We have zero.  All of the trench talent and overall mid round and vet acquired depth doesn't get you to where you want to be.

And you can't rely upon the playcallers to scheme every thing correctly for a 10 play drive, or the team to execute all 10 plays.  We need some players who make plays despite the play that was called not being the best play call at the time.

We're close on defense, need a pass rusher and a CB badly though. 

On a broader scale, this is what happens when you use high capital like pick 18, 15, and 6, on a C, a FS, and a G.  That's not questioning the decisions, but from a high level view that's a lot of capital spent on positions that are not playmaking positions....or "island" type of positions where the player has to hold is own by himself.  All three of those positions tend to get help from other players around them so the talent level at each one of them need not be elite.

This team cannot compete with the Bills or Chiefs. Regardless of the Raiders game yesterday I still believe the Chiefs are the top of the AFC. Buffalo will change my mind if they beat KC next Monday. Regardless, in no way can this Colts team beat those two. unfortunately with the expanded playoff format, this team just might get a spot, if we don't outright win the division.  Which to the franchise would bode well as playoff team when in reality it hurts our chances to acquire top notch skill talent in the 2021 draft.

Our schedule is just soft enough and our defense good enough to garner 8-10 wins. It's sad actually as it's fools gold.

Considering Chad is gone, Eason better be the real deal and fast or we as a franchise are in serious trouble as JB and Phil won't be around next year.

Outlook: Bleak

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

This team cannot compete with the Bills or Chiefs. Regardless of the Raiders game yesterday I still believe the Chiefs are the top of the AFC. Buffalo will change my mind if they beat KC next Monday. Regardless, in no way can this Colts team beat those two. unfortunately with the expanded playoff format, this team just might get a spot, if we don't outright win the division.  Which to the franchise would bode well as playoff team when in reality it hurts our chances to acquire top notch skill talent in the 2021 draft.

Our schedule is just soft enough and our defense good enough to garner 8-10 wins. It's sad actually as it's fools gold.

Considering Chad is gone, Eason better be the real deal and fast or we as a franchise are in serious trouble as JB and Phil won't be around next year.

Outlook: Bleak

I am still not sold on the Bills, to me the Chiefs and Ravens are top tier. 

Tough losing Mack, Campbell and Pittman on offense. Taylor is only going to get better so we can survive losing Mack.  TY is not the dominant receiver any longer. It remains to be seen if Campbell comes back this year. Hopefully Pittman is back after bye week and can blossom into a solid wide out. We are thin on OT depth and TE slot is adequate at best. MAC has upside  but is not a proven commodity. 

I am generally happy with defense. Blackmon was an excellent pick. I love getting solid performance from our special team play. Future is bright. I think we need one more solid draft and perhaps a few FA signings to make this a solid team to be feared. 

44 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Purgatory.  

QB and offense purgatory, IMO. Don't have the pieces to hang with an elite offense and there are more pieces on defense than offense except maybe OL, which will end up being a short window too.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still not sold on the Bills, to me the Chiefs and Ravens are top tier. 

The Bills are really good and coming and here is all you need to know.

Last year, the younger Bills group let decent leads slip away and lost games to lesser opponents. this year, the still young Bills have done the same twice, however they overcame it and won. That is huge in that teams growth. Also, the Bills have the correct offensive format at their Wide Receiver tree. Beasley underneath, Diggs intermediate, and Brown speed over the top. It's perfect and where each are not true superstars, they are balanced and work together in above average serviceable results. Just good enough running game, athletic playmaking QBB, and a rock solid Defense has Super Bowl contender written all over it 

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The Bills are really good and coming and here is all you need to know.

Last year, the younger Bills group let decent leads slip away and lost games to lesser opponents. this year, the still young Bills have done the same twice, however they overcame it and won. That is huge in that teams growth. Also, the Bills have the correct offensive format at their Wide Receiver tree. Beasley underneath, Diggs intermediate, and Brown speed over the top. It's perfect and where each are not true superstars, they are balanced and work together in above average serviceable results. Just good enough running game, athletic playmaking QBB, and a rock solid Defense has Super Bowl contender written all over it 

By no means do I think the Bills aren't good, I just look at teams like the Chiefs and Ravens and I think they are better. Chiefs just a bad game yesterday, Bills will have a few like that too IMO. Ravens only loss is to the Chiefs. Bills are easily a 10 win team.

Gotta say its pretty weird to be riding on our defense. Not something we've been able to say for I don't even know how long. Offensive regression is concerning. Many of our offensive stats are sitting at bottom of the league with offensive juggernauts like the Jets and the Football Team.

IMO the Colts best wide receiver is Pascal and he is a wide receiver 3. Campbell will never hold up, he will hang around but fall the way of Dorsett. Talented bust based on "fill in the blank". TY is done. I knew he wasn't long when the injuries crept up 3 years ago. Pittman, even though it's early, will not be able to gain separation in any facet at this level. He can cath and could be a decent possession guy, however Before the injury, he was a bigger ghost than TY. Fountain has always been a sprinkler if not a downright drip. Johnson is a jag. Doyle should have never been given a contract a few years back. He's Kyle Rudolph, meh. Burton has talent, but other than one year, he has zeroed out. Mo Cox, best on the team, 3rd best on any other team. Taylor will be a backend RB1 if not solid top 7 back eventually as long as his body holds up. Hines.... ?? He's an okay punch to Taylor. Wilkins is Williams in GB or there about. As stated, we are in trouble

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By no means do I think the Bills aren't good, I just look at teams like the Chiefs and Ravens and I think they are better. Chiefs just a bad game yesterday, Bills will have a few like that too IMO. Ravens only loss is to the Chiefs. Bills are easily a 10 win team.

The Ravens are good but their Achilles heel is Jackson actually. He is super talented athletically however he is not a good enough passer. If you go up by 2 scores on the ravens they lose. That is their mantra and that will be their demise unless all the cards fall for them on any given gameday. It's weird because I truly think that if Jackson didn't have so much athletic talent in his legs and shiftiness, he would've gotten the quick hook. Not necessarily let go, but put back on the development block but once the ravens shifted their offensive scheme to match his athleticism, they were tied to him for the duration good and bad 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Did anyone state or assume that they could?

No, but the whole object of bringing in Rivers was that most thought the team thought so and that they would. All we needed was a QB better than JB as we had a team ready to compete now. That's not the case though

The offense is trending in the wrong direction this year so far. We seem to be able to move down the field, but red zone is killing us. We can’t settle for field goals against high scoring teams and just expect the defense to bail out. 

Long drives are great when it results in touchdowns, but these field goals? It’s just not working. 

And as is per usual for us and most teams in the NFL right now, injuries and illness are a big disruption. 

I know a lot of people blame Reich and Rivers for yesterdays loss.  I dont. I believe Reich goes into the game with a  plan to run a lot and limit Rivers throws. Or the other teams ability to pick him off lol. The game got away and the defence played like trash in the 1st half. Based on Reichs comments, I dont think he was happy with the defense. We r limited offensively, as we havent found a receiver or receivers who can take pressure off the run game. Rivers is who he is at this  point in his career.  The achilles heel of this team is Eberflus. He was horrible in the Jags game and was  horrible in the 1st half of the Browns game. Why do u think Reich went for it on 4th and 2nd?  He had no faith in the D and knew they were going to score a lot. I am not a fan of this scheme, but less of a fan of Eberflus.  If the front four dont get pressure, Everflus fails to adapt until it is to late. To timid and predictable.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know a lot of people blame Reich and Rivers for yesterdays loss.  I dont. I believe Reich goes into the game with a  plan to run a lot and limit Rivers throws. Or the other teams ability to pick him off lol. The game got away and the defence played like trash in the 1st half. Based on Reichs comments, I dont think he was happy with the defense. We r limited offensively, as we havent found a receiver or receivers who can take pressure off the run game. Rivers is who he is at this  point in his career.  The achilles heel of this team is Eberflus. He was horrible in the Jags game and was  horrible in the 1st half of the Browns game. Why do u think Reich went for it on 4th and 2nd?  He had no faith in the D and knew they were going to score a lot. I am not a fan of this scheme, but less of a fan of Eberflus.  If the front four dont get pressure, Everflus fails to adapt until it is to late. To timid and predictable.

So Reich wants to protect Rivers from himself and not depend on him to win games by asking him not do to much?

I finally watched the Browns game.  I only listened on radio yeaterday.

First, thats areallygood Browns-team there.  Young and very talented.  At times, theO reminded me of KC.  Mayfield made some big extended plays for a td and some 1st downs.  I was impressed by them.

I thought ght our D played well against a very scary O. Stars all over the place.

Wehadsome pics,penalties, and i think they asked too much of Rivers.  We fell. Asleep there before the half and kinda gave the 3.

Overall, idont think we really played that much worse.  Its just Cleveland (especially at home coning off last week) is a different animal than those we’ve played.  We needed to play better than “average”, and we didn't.
I like this team, but a realistic playoff run? Check back with me in 6 weeks.

Overall I am fairly pleased with the roster that Ballard has built for us.  A lot of fine young players that are getting better each and every week.  No doubt Luck's retirement was a big blow that he is still trying to overcome.  Time will tell on that and hopefully he made the right call on Eason.   I'm more concerned about Reich at the moment.  I keep thinking back how Ballard missed on McDaniel and how he had to find Reich at the eleventh hour.  A players coach just like Pagano.  Not his first choice by any means.   But basically a forced swing for the fences with a late game pinch hitter.  Right now I'm not sure he is the right man for the job.  Just when I think he is he changes my mind somehow.  He has stayed with Eberflus and changed other coaches.  He has the coaches he wanted.  He lobbied for Rivers who is now showing his skills have diminished.  They should he is 38 years old.  It's still early in the season and we are still a very good and competitive team.  A lot of decisions yet to be made.  So we shall see but like I said I'm more concerned about Reich right now.  I'm starting to think he might not be the right guy for the job.  

13 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

So Reich wants to protect Rivers from himself and not depend on him to win games by asking him not do to much?

No. I said it before. They brought in Rivers for a specific purpose. They dont want him to be the reason for winning or losing games.  They want to dictate the flow of the game. Run the ball and play defence. When u allow the Browns to score on their 1st 4 drives and dominate time of possession, it takes away from what u want to do offensively. There are other teams built in this manner in the NFL. 

Likes- Ballard, Taylor, Nelson, Leonard, Blackmon, Buckner

Dislikes- Reich, Eberflus, Rivers, Clark, injuries

Ballard has done a good job drafting and signing talent for this team. Unfortunately we have an inept coach on the Colts that can't consistently put together a game plan and stick to it, or show some dang humility and admit when he is wrong. He ruined last year by keeping Brissett in, and he's about to do the same with Rivers now. I'm hoping Reich is gone at the end of the year honestly. Reich also has input on guys like Campbell and Pittman in the draft and he ends up making bad decisions for Ballard. Ballard needs to completely cut Reich off from having any input in the draft.

Eberflus is a pretty bad DC to be honest. Our rank was inflated by facing terrible offenses. He doesn't blitz or get any pressure on QBs, and therefore the secondary gets roasted. I'd fire him at the bye week tbh if we lose to the Bengals.

Rivers is the final problem on this team. He should of retired at the end of last season. He's done. He's not worth $2.5 million, let alone $25 million. Absolute dumpster fire. We could start Jacoby Brissett to do what he does, and Jacoby would throw a lot less INTs. 

The injuries have killed us as well, as most were to key players. The offense is inept, the defense is bad without Leonard (fingers crossed he returns next week), and we have bad coaching which doesn't help. I honestly wouldn't bat an eye if we fired every coach on this staff (including Reich) and started over. Absolute dumpster fire.

We're almost like the Pacers have been recently, competitive in the regular season but not a contender come playoff time. Although I like Reich more than I do/did McMillan. 

Like others have mentioned, we've got question marks at key positions going forward: QB, LT, WR, DE, CB. I have confidence in Ballard for the most part, he's made some great finds and overall I hope he's here for a long time. I can and have voiced concerns about certain picks, a couple 2nd round DL, and I do think he's a little traitsy at times...but again, overall I like him. 

Back to Reich; I like him, I think he's a solid coach, but there are valid criticisms. One thing I wonder about is his play calling in the run game. It's something that he, for whatever reason, really struggled with during his time with the Chargers. Don't get me wrong, I think he/Sirianni draw up some genius passing plays and does what he can with guys like Brissett/Rivers, but I'm curious to see how the running game fares going forward.

Archived