Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MAC vs Jack Doyle

Is it just me or is it obvious that MAC is both a better blocker and receiver than Doyle ? Reich is just not impressing me at all this year. Yeah , he takes the blame and that's cool , but I'd much rather have a coach that makes more good decisions. Reich also stated that Rivers played well yesterday . HUH....

Doyle looks like he's running in cement . Ridiculous that he's "out snapping " MAC. 

• Like 1

I wonder who would win a race between Doyle and Rivers at this pint. MAC should be the starter clearly. Also, the lovefest that Reich and Co. have with Burton is puzzling. I know he is coming back from injury but he should be worked in slowly not force fed. Very silly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I wonder who would win a race between Doyle and Rivers at this pint. MAC should be the starter clearly. Also, the lovefest that Reich and Co. have with Burton is puzzling. I know he is coming back from injury but he should be worked in slowly not force fed. Very silly

Hopefully the race would not be longer than 25-30 yards as we would fall asleep watching it. Yeah and I agree with your Burton observation.

• Haha 2

Do the Colts start any games with scripted plays?   It doesn't seem like they do.   Since the week 2 season where Cox seemed to had broken out, they've been largely ignoring him.   They've thrown 6 total passes in his direction in the last 3 games.  

• Sad 1

Pat Freiermuth in round 1 of the 2021 NFL Draft. Watching tape on this guy, he reminds me of Kelce, and his route running is better than people think. Ballard has to consider drafting him if he's there in the 20-30 range. Whoever our next Quarterback is he needs a reliable Tight End. 

• Like 1

Remember Enron’s first season and how we all sat around and wondered why he didn’t get more usage than just in the red zone? 

It’s that. Again. 

They just don’t do anything to involve him outside the red zone. Now Burton is back, and they’re ok with forcing him into the gameplan over Mo, even though Mo showed more upside in his short shine this season than Burton has ever shown. 

It’s just like the RBs. We’ve got guys like Mack and Taylor, but we’re still gonna force them off the field so Hines and Wilkins can get to play. We can’t even put them both in the game at the same time and use that to our advantage. 

It’s just more of that stuff that this staff does that grows old on you after a while. 

• Like 4
Just now, John Waylon said:

Remember Enron’s first season and how we all sat around and wondered why he didn’t get more usage than just in the red zone? 

Enron is terrible, too bad we didnt see it soon enough 

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's not healthy. 

Love Doyle. He’s been a real road tested trooper for us. Started out as a practice squad snipe, worked his way up to starter, got paid, and then got demoted when we signed Ebron. He endured through that and now he’s the vet. Beautiful football story. 

Maybe he isn’t healthy. 

Or maybe it’s age. I mean he’s taken a lot of punishment, he’s dealt with injuries, but he’s not the kind of top level athlete that can endure that into the mid-30s. Maybe part of his density is to also be around a shorter amount of time. I dunno. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

This website and my autocorrect do not get along. It’s way worse than any other website that I use. 

That said, I am under the influence and I did laugh lol

• Haha 2

Putting Burton in ahead of MAC is criminal.

This coaching staff is starting to make me wonder.  Some of the play calling has been puzzling too...I mean, the safety yesterday alone should be raising some red flags.  Couldn't block Myles all day and we decide to have our immobile QB take a 5 step drop back in our own endzone?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Myles said:

Do the Colts start any games with scripted plays?   It doesn't seem like they do.   Since the week 2 season where Cox seemed to had broken out, they've been largely ignoring him.   They've thrown 6 total passes in his direction in the last 3 games.  

Thats baffling to me that they aren't using Mo.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, dw49 said:

Is it just me or is it obvious that MAC is both a better blocker and receiver than Doyle ? Reich is just not impressing me at all this year. Yeah , he takes the blame and that's cool , but I'd much rather have a coach that makes more good decisions. Reich also stated that Rivers played well yesterday . HUH....

Doyle looks like he's running in cement . Ridiculous that he's "out snapping " MAC. 

Doyle has never been fast. He runs good routes and gets good separation though. He's still getting good separation. He's Mr. Reliable for the most part.

This should not be a conversation about Doyle vs Mo, it should be a conversation of Doyle and Mo, vs Burton. And really, Burton when in at TE, is running a lot of bully slot type routes, so he's taking away WR snaps too. Fountain and Dulin barely got snaps, and only one target between them.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

MAC will come back to Earth.

It's easy to come back to down to Earth when coaches simply stop using you. 

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

He might be a terrible team mate, but he's not a terrible TE. Body drops are his only issue from a performance standpoint. He's 3rd in pass yards for the Steelers, and his AVG is 2nd. His usage/production would likely be even more if Pitt didn't pick up TE-lite Chase Claypool, who is leading them in all rcv stats.  

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Love Doyle. He’s been a real road tested trooper for us. Started out as a practice squad snipe, worked his way up to starter, got paid, and then got demoted when we signed Ebron. He endured through that and now he’s the vet. Beautiful football story. 

Maybe he isn’t healthy. 

Or maybe it’s age. I mean he’s taken a lot of punishment, he’s dealt with injuries, but he’s not the kind of top level athlete that can endure that into the mid-30s. Maybe part of his density is to also be around a shorter amount of time. I dunno. 

Doyle really didn't get demoted when we picked up Ebron in year 1 of Ebron's contract. Doyle was hurt/out a significant portion of the year. Doyle started year 2 getting more snaps, which most were unhappy about. 

The criminal thing about not giving mo more snaps is mo is 6 ft 6 inches the average linebackers who are covering him are 6ft tall .  mo has a 7 ft 1 wing span also , so with his hands ups he is over 10 feet in the air . no one on defense can get that high you can have 3 guys on him and throw him jump balls in the red zone and with his good hands he is unstoppable .   Even on regular plays just throwing bomb jump balls 50 yards down field would result in the plays down field we need , and could draw flags from the defense getting panicked over high big he is .

• Like 2
9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He might be a terrible team mate, but he's not a terrible TE. Body drops are his only issue from a performance standpoint. 

that was dumb joke i made on their typo :peek: lol

i did enjoy watching ebron and luck

• 4 weeks later...

TE Update - Week 8 (PFF ratings and comments, from Jake Arthur)

Mo Alie-Cox Tight end No. 3 (81.5), 32 snaps (42%) 

Jack Doyle Tight end No. 9 (69.3), 45 snaps (58%)

Alie-Cox: 3 catches (4 targets), 37 yards (12.3)

Doyle: 2 catches (3 targets), 18 yards (9.0 avg.), 1 TD

Now with all three primary tight ends healthy, the Colts can really do some damage in the passing game. Alie-Cox and Doyle ranked in the top 10 and Trey Burton was just outside at No. 12 (65.2).

All three of Alie-Cox’s catches went for third downs, and his receiving grade of 82.2 was second among all tight ends. He also earned a favorable pass-blocking grade of 74.

Doyle had a touchdown catch for the second consecutive game, which moved him into fourth place in Colts franchise history in touchdowns by a tight end with 20. Both of his catches resulted in a first down or TD.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:07 PM, DownHillRunner said:

Pat Freiermuth in round 1 of the 2021 NFL Draft. Watching tape on this guy, he reminds me of Kelce, and his route running is better than people think. Ballard has to consider drafting him if he's there in the 20-30 range. Whoever our next Quarterback is he needs a reliable Tight End. 

Pat would fit in perfectly in Reich's offense. I'm from PA and watch a lot of Penn State games because my dad loves them. Pat could do it all and reminds me of a mix between Gronk and Kelce. I think Pitts might be the first TE to get drafted, but Pat should be not too far behind him. Would love this pick.

All three of our TEs make plays so who cares if one gets a couple of more snaps than another?

They are rotated in and out depending on what plays are called. 

Some of you have been trying to write Doyle off but he is still here making plays. 

• Like 2

I love all 3 of out TE's. each bring a little something different. Doyle running good routes and keeping chains moving, MAC can go up and get those 50/50 balls and Burton does a little of everything, plus you better watch out, he can throw(Philly Special).

I am glad they are a little different in their skill sets but the most important this is they rarely drop passes when they are open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

TE Update - Week 8 (PFF ratings and comments, from Jake Arthur)

Mo Alie-Cox Tight end No. 3 (81.5), 32 snaps (42%) 

Jack Doyle Tight end No. 9 (69.3), 45 snaps (58%)

Alie-Cox: 3 catches (4 targets), 37 yards (12.3)

Doyle: 2 catches (3 targets), 18 yards (9.0 avg.), 1 TD

Now with all three primary tight ends healthy, the Colts can really do some damage in the passing game. Alie-Cox and Doyle ranked in the top 10 and Trey Burton was just outside at No. 12 (65.2).

All three of Alie-Cox’s catches went for third downs, and his receiving grade of 82.2 was second among all tight ends. He also earned a favorable pass-blocking grade of 74.

Doyle had a touchdown catch for the second consecutive game, which moved him into fourth place in Colts franchise history in touchdowns by a tight end with 20. Both of his catches resulted in a first down or TD.

Must be a typo.   No one would brag that on second down all 3 catches did not pick up a 1st down.

The TE group is decent.  I don't think they have tried to hit the ceiling with Mo yet.   That is surprising and disappointing.  

• Like 1

Any stat that uses average yards gained to compare TEs is a false standard, maybe even a cherry pick.  In two TE offenses, the two TEs have different roles much of the time.   Its not about one over the other, unless you want only one TE in the game at the time, which you then select the best one to start and have the other as the backup. 

• Like 1