Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blame Rivers? Blame Reich? How about the miserable O-line play?

Soooo...

Plenty of hate to go around, all predictable and some deserved.  But I expected to see one big discussion about the elephant in this room.  Our Vaunted O-Line was terrible today. They haven't performed well, certainly not to their elite billing, all year.  Our running game is terrible. We "hold"at twice the league average and that's not the end of drive killing penalties.. The QB pressures today may have been the worst in Colts history. One guy destroyed and disrupted us all game coming from all along the line to the point that he offset our entire defensive lines great play singlehandedly.  And he wasn't alone. This went well beyond LeRaven Clark, though he was certainly a predictable weakness.  (I blame our GM for that). Sure, last year they played great.  Nelson has been the darling of the league. Perhaps it has gone to his head, same as our centers 50 million seems to have put him on cruise control.  This is supposed to be the best (by far) Center/LG combo. 

I can hear the OL apologists crying out already, but for the Rivers haters you need to be glad you have him throwing because had Brissett been behind center they would have had double digit sacks at least today.

Rivers is old?  Really? Gosh, I'll alert the media.  Thankfully he gets the ball out pretty quickly and if not for that fact today's loss would have been a bloodbath. If we HAD elite O-Line play, then we'd see some deep throws because Rivers wouldn't be throwing for his life and could allow them an extra second to check a second receiver or perhaps enough time for a fast receiver to run down the field 25+ yards before the QB is on his back.  

• Like 8
  • JPFolks changed the title to Blame Rivers? Blame Reich? How about the miserable O-line play?

Agree but Rivers is not playing like I think most of us expected.. theres enough blame for everyone.. why do you fair catch at the 4 yard line? Only to make a safety on the next play. Everyone has to step up. Coaches included 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Soooo...

Plenty of hate to go around, all predictable and some deserved.  But I expected to see one big discussion about the elephant in this room.  Our Vaunted O-Line was terrible today. They haven't performed well, certainly not to their elite billing, all year.  Our running game is terrible. We "hold"at twice the league average and that's not the end of drive killing penalties.. The QB pressures today may have been the worst in Colts history. One guy destroyed and disrupted us all game coming from all along the line to the point that he offset our entire defensive lines great play singlehandedly.  And he wasn't alone. This went well beyond LeRaven Clark, though he was certainly a predictable weakness.  (I blame our GM for that). Sure, last year they played great.  Nelson has been the darling of the league. Perhaps it has gone to his head, same as our centers 50 million seems to have put him on cruise control.  This is supposed to be the best (by far) Center/LG combo. 

I can hear the OL apologists crying out already, but for the Rivers haters you need to be glad you have him throwing because had Brissett been behind center they would have had double digit sacks at least today.

Rivers is old?  Really? Gosh, I'll alert the media.  Thankfully he gets the ball out pretty quickly and if not for that fact today's loss would have been a bloodbath. If we HAD elite O-Line play, then we'd see some deep throws because Rivers wouldn't be throwing for his life and could allow them an extra second to check a second receiver or perhaps enough time for a fast receiver to run down the field 25+ yards before the QB is on his back.  

Our run game was working fine yesterday, but when it's working we stop running it and put it into rivers hands.... I had a few browns fans ask me, that taylor is a beast, why doesn't he get more carries? .... I said plainly "I don't know". 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Our run game was working fine yesterday, but when it's working we stop running it and put it into rivers hands.... I had a few browns fans ask me, that taylor is a beast, why doesn't he get more carries? .... I said plainly "I don't know". 

I think it’s pretty simple, and that’s what we’re going to see all year.  Teams load the box and dare us to throw.  

Man, Rivers is just not very good. 

Having Castanzo out and leaving Leraven Clark alone against Miles Garrett (a lot of the time) is inexcusable. 

The defense bailed Rivers out (3-4x??) and gave him chances to win the game and he squandered every one. 

Not sure why they decided to wait to start running the ball until the 2nd half. Reich has an uncanny knack for running the ball too many times in a row as well. Very easy for defense to key in on. 

Speaking of defense, why the heck did they play so much zone????? They get carved up every single time they do it, yet they keep going back to it. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think it’s pretty simple, and that’s what we’re going to see all year.  Teams load the box and dare us to throw.  

correct me if I'm wrong but if we did run some kind of spread offense like Kansas City or some college style offense, then wouldn't that prevent them from loading the box because technically passing would be a threat most downs?

We lost yesterday because of Rivers lack of mobility. AC is graded at a 63 by PFF. He would’ve struggled just like Clark. He has struggled all season long. Nelson covers for him. There is video proof of such. Q had to come off his assignment to pickup up AC’s. Defense gave us a chance in the second half. There is no other way to look at it. Rivers cost us that game. No one else did.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think we could use another playmaker at wr. There's a huge drop off after hilton. 

I also think Rivers is not the type of QB, with pressure in his face, would squeeze out of the pocket and throw a dart with people close by. Our pass catchers need to be coached up to break off their routes faster because of that, IMO. I saw several guys open while Rivers scrambled, just that he was not mobile enough to look for them with easy change of directions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I also think Rivers is not the type of QB, with pressure in his face, would squeeze out of the pocket and throw a dart with people close by. Our pass catchers need to be coached up to break off their routes faster because of that, IMO. I saw several guys open while Rivers scrambled, just that he was not mobile enough to look for them with easy change of directions.

Rivers is not very mobile, so he is not going to have good games without good protection.  He's not Pat Mahomes, he's not Andrew Luck.  He can't carry a team, and he certainly can't have a good game without good protection.  

It's as simple as that.  This was a particularly bad game to be missing your left tackle in and they exploited it.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think we could use another playmaker at wr. There's a huge drop off after hilton. 

There's a drop off WITH Hilton. I'm afraid his better days are far behind him. He's a #3 receiver at best now, he can't get separation and lost more than a step. With teams falling out quickly this would be the time to attempt to trade for 1 on the cheap..

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ColtJax said:

There's a drop off WITH Hilton. I'm afraid his better days are far behind him. He's a #3 receiver at best now, he can't get separation and lost more than a step. With teams falling out quickly this would be the time to attempt to trade for 1 on the cheap..

Yeah he does look like he's lost a step.

Two seasons ago weren't we something like 1-6 with Costanzo out, and we still go with Clark as reserve left tackle? Ballard is a great gm and has done a masterful job of building this team, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, anytime Clark has to play we are in deep #%^!

I don’t only blame him but Rivers immobility isn’t helping. I mean, it doesn’t even seem like we can run a bootleg with him.

Also, he does usually get the ball out quickly, but today he struggled there. Probably a lack of separation from our WR’s.

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Do our colt fans realize we could have D.K. Metcalf and Chase Claypool right now if we had picked them instead of glass Paris Campbell and Pittman. What a difference that would of made. Metcalf is already a beast and Claypool looks like he is going to be!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Two seasons ago weren't we something like 1-6 with Costanzo out, and we still go with Clark as reserve left tackle? Ballard is a great gm and has done a masterful job of building this team, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, anytime Clark has to play we are in deep #%^!

Yeah, Luck was rusty coming off his shoulder surgery and to protect him, we were dinking and dunking with him. His YPA started off low but teams caught on and were squatting underneath more, thus had a lot more INTs and incompletions and thus reflected in our 1-5 record in 2018. As the season went on, they opened it up and his YPA went up but his ability to extend plays was always there. So, when things came together, we went on a very good run.

I don't think it is the same with Rivers because his ceiling is limited, no matter how much we open things up. The only things that can prove us different is Campbell and Pittman coming back to provide a quality difference. I will believe it when I see it.

37 minutes ago, BigO said:

Do our colt fans realize we could have D.K. Metcalf and Chase Claypool right now if we had picked them instead of glass Paris Campbell and Pittman. What a difference that would of made. Metcalf is already a beast and Claypool looks like he is going to be!

I'll bite..

If DK or Chase or any other good young WR were on our team, they'd be injured right now. And paris and Michael would be tearing it up for their teams. It's the Anthony Gonzalez curse lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's the coaches starting with Reich that should shoulder the blame. Their play calling, bad decisions and rotation of rbs. Like one echoed in the previous comments about rbs, JT was averaging nearly 5 ypc and you get away from that, simply mind boggling. Rivers arm is weak to say the least. 

Lol. This team gets a new QB, has no preseason, has continued back luck at the health of the WR position, has the new QB's blind side protector out, has our best centerfielder out, and plays on the road against a team who has been taking high first round picks like.....forever. And we lose, and someone has to be blamed. 

You know who I blame? No one. They are all fighting their * off, and doing what they can to get better....and they will. PR was hired to get us to next year. Meanwhile, Brissett is watching PR and hopefully learning how to get the ball out quicker...and Eason is learning from two tough QB's on how to prepare and lead in the NFL. Everything is happening as it should. 

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

We lost yesterday because of Rivers lack of mobility. AC is graded at a 63 by PFF. He would’ve struggled just like Clark. He has struggled all season long. Nelson covers for him. There is video proof of such. Q had to come off his assignment to pickup up AC’s. Defense gave us a chance in the second half. There is no other way to look at it. Rivers cost us that game. No one else did.

True, True, true AC is not the player he use to be. This can explain the bad o-line play this year. The same can be said of TY Hilton. Couple this with injuries has this team in a very fragile position this year.

How do they address this, this off season. Left Tackle ok, but your WR room is in bad shape. WR ok, but your O-line is horrible with L Clark. Rivers had a bad game. But if Jacoby was back there. The browns would have dropped 50 on the Colts 

I think we saw just how important AC is to the line.  The samething happened last time he was out too.  If you recall Nelson’s rookie year he missed time at the start of the season and the line play wasn’t good.  Then he came back and the line play took off.  

Also give the Browns some credit their ends are really good.  They get paid too.  Still the Colts can’t control that.  It’s clear when AC goes out they have a problem.  

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think we saw just how important AC is to the line.  The samething happened last time he was out too.  If you recall Nelson’s rookie year he missed time at the start of the season and the line play wasn’t good.  Then he came back and the line play took off.  

Also give the Browns some credit their ends are really good.  They get paid too.  Still the Colts can’t control that.  It’s clear when AC goes out they have a problem.  

That’s no true at all. We didn’t lose because AC was out. Philip cost us that game. 

You can always throw a lot of blame and excuses around for the loss of a game. If your waiting to have every starter healthy and ready to play each game, then your dreaming, All teams  have to deal with it. If most people thought Rivers was magickly going to come to the Colts and all of a sudden going to play like he was ten years younger , Well it's not going to happen.  Rivers mobility or lack of  is a glaring problem, He doesn't have the whole field vision anymore, but think that  is due to him trying to slip rushers and stay in the pocket. When he moves out the pocket he's too slow  makes bone head decisions. He sometimes can make good throws, but also bad ones at crucial times as his 2  interceptions showed. As I was watching the game unfold, especially  in the second half. I literary could see the train  wreck coming. with Rivers. I know we are committed to him for this year and will roll  with it, But at best he has become a backup  type of QB if that. He's not going to improve, and after this season, he should retire . 

No he is not just the only one to blame, but he just adds more to the problems 

8 hours ago, Robin said:

Agree but Rivers is not playing like I think most of us expected.. theres enough blame for everyone.. why do you fair catch at the 4 yard line? Only to make a safety on the next play. Everyone has to step up. Coaches included 

He’s playing at a level that most people who watched him last year thought he would play. You’re right though, most Colts fans who watched him play maybe one game last year thought he would return to his 2018 form. That obviously isn’t happening.

4 hours ago, BigO said:

Who is throwing to them?  Just stop.

9 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

He’s playing at a level that most people who watched him last year thought he would play. You’re right though, most Colts fans who watched him play maybe one game last year thought he would return to his 2018 form. That obviously isn’t happening.

I believed he would be better given a better Oline..  I dont care if he throws for 5-10 yards at a time as long as we move the ball consistenly.. but its not happening.