Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers getting grilled on Twitter

DownHillRunner

21 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

...taking Mayweather against Conor McGregor in that sham boxing match.

I was on a buddy's golf trip when that "fight" happened.  I generally don't bet on sports -- and, on the rare occasion I do, it's for small dollars.  Just don't like having money on the line on things over which I exert no control.

But many of my buddies are big sports bettors.  And I couldn't believe how many of them had bet on McGregor.  The guy is not a boxer and he's boxing against one of the best boxers in the history of boxing...who even some of the other best boxers in the world couldn't best.

Seriously?  Oh, but he's used to taking harder hits and kicks, etc.  I heard all kinds of nonsense.  We watched the fight and it didn't take long for all those guys to realize what a colossal mistake they'd made.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

At least Eason wouldn’t be a statue. 

We have the kicker position solved so Jacoby wouldn’t be as bad either. At least he can scramble.

The scouting report on Eason is that he IS a statue. Also, he struggles against pressure.

The one thing we know he has over Rivers is a live arm. That's it. Everything else is wishes and horses.

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm not sure which is worse, River's arm or his decision making. 

The decision making has always been an issue. He's a 70% completion rate passer but the 30% he misses on are big time (game swinging errors). I saw someone mention this somewhere and it's true to some extent. He is similar to Andrew Luck with the bonehead errors but Luck would lead you on the fightback. Rivers may have been able to do that 2 or more years back but that ability is gone now so yes, he is a game manager and for the most part he does a fair job. He isn't winning the Colts games and carrying the team on his back, things have to be perfect for him to be an asset and yesterday they were not. The defense was properly bad in the first half and the fact is Rivers couldn't keep up. Things were not perfect. Castonzo was a huge miss, the defense wasn't playing its part, and furthermore the running game just isn't what it was supposed to be.

Rivers shouldn't be the QB next year but this season there is no better QB on the roster. Brissett? We know what he is. Eason? Let him sit, from all indications he has a lot to learn still.

45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

From watching the Raiders and chiefs game earlier it doesn’t sound like the raiders were ever really serious about moving on from Carr so he might not have been an option.

I wish they did move him because the he would fit the offense like Luck did. Not saying he’s better than Luck

I can't believe we are only 5 games into the season, we have a winning record, and people are actually calling for a QB change. I never cease to be amazed at how quickly people jump on and off the bandwagon here. Has everyone forgotten that there were no OTA's or minicamps this offseason? Have we forgotten that there were no preseason games? I guess all of that stuff must be unimportant because we actually have people calling for a 4th round rookie to start over a proven veteran QB. I'll be the 1st to admit that Rivers play has been sketchy at times, but he is far and away the best option we have for winning games on this roster. We are right in the mix for a playoff spot. We have had several injuries to our receiving corps, and really just a few weeks of training camp for our new QB to adapt to a new city & new teammates. If we get to the point where we are eliminated from playoff contention I can understand throwing Eason out there and seeing what he's got. Until that time comes, I thought the goal each week was to win games. If that's the goal then Philip Rivers is our best option at QB.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I was on a buddy's golf trip when that "fight" happened.  I generally don't bet on sports -- and, on the rare occasion I do, it's for small dollars.  Just don't like having money on the line on things over which I exert no control.

But many of my buddies are big sports bettors.  And I couldn't believe how many of them had bet on McGregor.  The guy is not a boxer and he's boxing against one of the best boxers in the history of boxing...who even some of the other best boxers in the world couldn't best.

Seriously?  Oh, but he's used to taking harder hits and kicks, etc.  I heard all kinds of nonsense.  We watched the fight and it didn't take long for all those guys to realize what a colossal mistake they'd made.

Yeah, I couldn’t believe it. The books were openly saying too that would take just about any action they could on McGregor. Floyd was undefeated, no way he’s taking an L to a guy who just picked up the sport a few weeks before. But hey, both fighters got incredibly rich off of it and good for them.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Reich would be ultra conservative with Eason. If fun is what you want, don't count on any of our QBs to be fun with Reich calling plays.

He should be ultra conservative with Rivers too. Rivers playing like a rookie. If Eason were to start, you run the ball and set up play action and throw screens. Formula for success with this team. But yet we make it hard by allowing a washed up QB throw our season away one game at a time. Rivers is trash

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The scouting report on Eason is that he IS a statue. Also, he struggles against pressure.

The one thing we know he has over Rivers is a live arm. That's it. Everything else is wishes and horses.

Why do we listen to scouts?? They are wrong majority of the time. Get the kid on the game or team and see for yourself what you truly have in him versus listening to a person that hasn't even played a down of football.

6 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

How has he done that? Thru 5 games he has played, he has thrown 4 TDs and 3 INTS. Those numbers arent better than what Jacoby was doing up the same point last year and a lower QBR

Rivers has actually thrown 4 TDs and 5 ints. through 5 games. He has not been good at all and IMO if not for the improved defense the Colts would be 1-4 or 0-5. They have not won because of Rivers but they have certainly lost because of him. Rivers has been a huge disappointment to this point.

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I can't believe we are only 5 games into the season, we have a winning record, and people are actually calling for a QB change. I never cease to be amazed at how quickly people jump on and off the bandwagon here. Has everyone forgotten that there were no OTA's or minicamps this offseason? Have we forgotten that there were no preseason games? I guess all of that stuff must be unimportant because we actually have people calling for a 4th round rookie to start over a proven veteran QB. I'll be the 1st to admit that Rivers play has been sketchy at times, but he is far and away the best option we have for winning games on this roster. We are right in the mix for a playoff spot. We have had several injuries to our receiving corps, and really just a few weeks of training camp for our new QB to adapt to a new city & new teammates. If we get to the point where we are eliminated from playoff contention I can understand throwing Eason out there and seeing what he's got. Until that time comes, I thought the goal each week was to win games. If that's the goal then Philip Rivers is our best option at QB.

Fixing a problem (Rivers) before the ship sinks seems like the best solution to me. Eason can keep riding pound but if they choose to go his route, then I'm with it until he proves he's not the guy. Jacoby doesn't turn the ball over. Jacoby doesn't play hero ball. Rivers does. Start him next week, and run the d@#$ ball. Also, the play calling has been horrible. We have Superbowl aspirations. This team is set up to win and win now. The QB play is terrible. Point blank

1 minute ago, Mr_486lo said:

Fixing a problem (Rivers) before the ship sinks seems like the best solution to me. Eason can keep riding pound but if they choose to go his route, then I'm with it until he proves he's not the guy. Jacoby doesn't turn the ball over. Jacoby doesn't play hero ball. Rivers does. Start him next week, and run the d@#$ ball. Also, the play calling has been horrible. We have Superbowl aspirations. This team is set up to win and win now. The QB play is terrible. Point blank

You really want to put JB in over Rivers? Come on! I'm the first to admit River's play hasn't been stellar, but there is no way you can actually think that JB gives us a better shot of winning. We need to acknowledge the fact that our receiving corps has been beaten up and our QB had no real offseason to build a rapport with his new teammates. Unless you are JB's mom, I don't see how you can possibly think that he gives this team a better shot winning than Rivers.

Just now, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

You really want to put JB in over Rivers? Come on! I'm the first to admit River's play hasn't been stellar, but there is no way you can actually think that JB gives us a better shot of winning. We need to acknowledge the fact that our receiving corps has been beaten up and our QB had no real offseason to build a rapport with his new teammates. Unless you are JB's mom, I don't see how you can possibly think that he gives this team a better shot winning than Rivers.

I do. When Jacoby started and was healthy, how many games did he win for us?? Did Frank run the ball to set up the play action? Yes. Did Jacoby hurt us at all? No, he didn't. Jacoby was initially taught the Patriot way. Take what the defense gives you. 5 yards here, 10 yards there. Don't turn the ball over. Reich needs to put Rivers and the offensive coordinator on a short leash. Run the ball, set up play action....with this line and a #1 defense...problem solved. It's really that simple.

Just say no to Jacoby. 

You realize the kind of pickle that could put us in? He’s a FA after the season. 

Let’s say he comes in and just tears it up. Wins MVP, even. That good. Suddenly we got a problem. What do we do? We can’t just let him walk, so we sign him for 25 million or north a season for 4 or 5 years, and then we get stuck married to 2019 Jacoby until that deal is up. Gonna be a waste of Leonard, and Nelson. By the time they compete with a QB capable of winning again they’ll be in the twilight of their careers if not the decline. They won’t hang around long-term. Free agents aren’t going to want to come.

Do we want to be the new Washington?

Just say no to Jacoby. 

**Edit**
Signed, 

A full blown Rivers hater that wants to see a different QB

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Just say no to Jacoby. 

You realize the kind of pickle that could put us in? He’s a FA after the season. 

Let’s say he comes in and just tears it up. Wins MVP, even. That good. Suddenly we got a problem. What do we do? We can’t just let him walk, so we sign him for 25 million or north a season for 4 or 5 years, and then we get stuck married to 2019 Jacoby until that deal is up. Gonna be a waste of Leonard, and Nelson. By the time they compete with a QB capable of winning again they’ll be in the twilight of their careers if not the decline. They won’t hang around long-term. Free agents aren’t going to want to come.

Do we want to be the new Washington?

Just say no to Jacoby. 

**Edit**
Signed, 

A full blown Rivers hater that wants to see a different QB

While I hear what you’re saying, let’s not lose sight of how difficult it can be to find a legit SB-caliber QB.  Some teams (Miami, Chicago, Nyets, Jags, Raiders, TB, Titans, etal) have been searching in vain for one for years, if not decades.  Others (KC & Buffalo come to mind) did for a long time before hitting paydirt.

I not only get that Brissett isn’t our long-term solution for QB, I share the sentiment.  But you do have to look at these questions in the context of the realistic alternatives.

It’s so common for people seem to operate under the assumption that the choice is between the QB you have that isn’t all that great and some superstar in the waiting...whether that person is on the squad in a backup role, in the draft, available by trade or free agency.

22 hours ago, John Waylon said:

They wanted someone the rookie could learn from for a couple years. Which is why I can’t figure out why not Brady, who reportedly had interest in coming here, than Rivers. What in the world could you possibly want a young QB to learn from Rivers over Brady?

I get the years of bad blood would be awkward for some. (Guilty.) But that would still be better than Rivers. 

Brady wanted a big multi-year deal from what I heard.  Colts weren't interested in that.

By the way, Brady's team is also 3-2, he has multiple pick 6's, and both of their losses can be put on his poor play.  Even with more weapons than Indy could give him.

8 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

He should be ultra conservative with Rivers too. Rivers playing like a rookie. If Eason were to start, you run the ball and set up play action and throw screens. Formula for success with this team. But yet we make it hard by allowing a washed up QB throw our season away one game at a time. Rivers is trash

Yet his QBR is still better than JBs... Rivers has had some bad moments, but he's still an obvious step up from last year. And I really doubt a JB like or PA type offense is a formula for success vs the schedule in front of us. I would like to see more PA or RPO with Rivers though.

12 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

While I hear what you’re saying, let’s not lose sight of how difficult it can be to find a legit SB-caliber QB.  Some teams (Miami, Chicago, Nyets, Jags, Raiders, TB, Titans, etal) have been searching in vain for one for years, if not decades.  Others (KC & Buffalo come to mind) did for a long time before hitting paydirt.

I not only get that Brissett isn’t our long-term solution for QB, I share the sentiment.  But you do have to look at these questions in the context of the realistic alternatives.

It’s so common for people seem to operate under the assumption that the choice is between the QB you have that isn’t all that great and some superstar in the waiting...whether that person is on the squad in a backup role, in the draft, available by trade or free agency.

That’s just more reason to avoid Jacoby. We know he’s not the answer. He isn’t a SB caliber QB no matter who we put around him. So no reason to get re-committed to him over an extended period. If we really need to make a change that bad go to Eason and see what we have, because what’s the worst that happens? He doesn’t work out either and gets us a shot at being able to draft a QB high in the first that has a better shot at being the answer?

We’re better off having the freedom to try and find that next SB caliber QB Than we are being stuck in the mud in the middle of the road with Jacoby for several more years because he showed a flash at the right time and we panicked to keep him around. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yet his QBR is still better than JBs... Rivers has had some bad moments, but he's still an obvious step up from last year. And I really doubt a JB like or PA type offense is a formula for success vs the schedule in front of us. I would like to see more PA or RPO with Rivers though.

I really don't get why play action is so underutilized by this offense. Especially for how much of an emphasis the team puts on the run game (ie. when Reich decides to run the ball 6 times in a row).

Either they are saving the play-action plays for later in the season to not show up on film or they have some concerns about their ability to execute some of those throws.

11 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Brady wanted a big multi-year deal from what I heard.  Colts weren't interested in that.

By the way, Brady's team is also 3-2, he has multiple pick 6's, and both of their losses can be put on his poor play.  Even with more weapons than Indy could give him.

Rivers and Brady are making the exact same this season. Rivers contract is (thankfully) just for this season while Brady got 2. 

We know about Ariana’ offense. It’s a much more vertical, drop back and wait for the play to develop. That’s a pretty different style for Brady, and that offensive line isn’t exactly the kind of force that passing game calls for. 

Brady could have operated in this offense way better than Rivers has to this point, and all for the same exact price. And Brady has the same price tag next season as well, which we would have also had no problem covering next season. 

Which is the real awkward part of this dynamic. Rivers and Brissett are both FA after the season. If we let the ship go down under captain Rivers then Jacoby likely won’t stick around no matter what we offer him, and as I’ve said in other posts in this thread that’s perfectly fine. But are they gonna let Rivers walk and turn the keys over to Eason? Doubtful, which means Rivers is likely to be here next season as well, making the fact that we got in bed with him over Brady once again even more awkward. 

Rivers has never been better than Brady, and it was highly unlikely for that to change even when Brady started to decline. And who do you want a young QB to sit under and learn from for two seasons? Brady, or Rivers? 

The decision to go with Rivers over Brady deserves to draw some scrutiny because it’s hard to make much sense of it.

Rivers was never, ever, ever, ever, ever going to come here and turn into a better player than he’d been previously. We were getting a player who had always had his faults and his limits that were very clearly established in the 15 seasons prior, and getting him at a stage in his career where dealing with decline is inevitable. With Brady, even if he is in decline and has been for a few seasons he has always been a fundamentally better QB than Rivers, and by a fair amount. 

Regardless of any of the circumstances Brady was a better option for the short-term and what we wanted to do over that short term than Rivers was. 

We invested in Eason. Maybe he’s the future. Only time will tell. But who do we want him to play like? Rivers, or Brady?

So let me get undestand this. JB is not better than Rivers who is terrible but we are paying him 15 million. Makes Sense. Eason is not going to play although he may be the future becasue he may throw interceptions? Just like Rivers. Makes Sense.  Remember last year when all of the colts management wanted to keep Vinny although he kept losing  us games and in affect kept us out of the playoffs. Finally brought in a rookie kicker (who did not make the team this year) who made most of his FGs.  I would guess that if Herbert was on this team we would be hearing that he was not ready to play.  

28 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

So let me get undestand this. JB is not better than Rivers who is terrible but we are paying him 15 million. Makes Sense. Eason is not going to play although he may be the future becasue he may throw interceptions? Just like Rivers. Makes Sense.  Remember last year when all of the colts management wanted to keep Vinny although he kept losing  us games and in affect kept us out of the playoffs. Finally brought in a rookie kicker (who did not make the team this year) who made most of his FGs.  I would guess that if Herbert was on this team we would be hearing that he was not ready to play.  

I actually agree with you. Once a QBs arm strength weakens you start getting dimensioning returns. Why pay a guy 25 million to manage games...JB can manage games for 15 million. The biggest issue with JB is he doesn't trust his eyes...it drove me crazy last year. He will only throw when he knew a guy would be open instead of throwing a guy open (if that makes sense). He would just tuck and run with it. However he rarely made huge mistakes with the ball. It has been huge mistakes that have cost us this year. Honestly at the beginning of the year I didn't want Rivers but the organization seemed determine to get him. I questioned why the Charges wouldn't want him to mentor their young rookie quarterback.  They didn't seem to want him around at all even though they had no plans to start Herbert. Idk it seemed weird to me. I am not saying JB is the answer but I believe he should be considered as an option. To say they are going to ride or die on Rivers play seems to be shortsighted.   

Rivers looks as good as those 40 something qbs in Tampa and New Orleans, who, by the way, both teams are also 3-2. We completely dominated a Viking team that hung with the Packers and should have beaten the seahawks(a team many on here can't stop saying how great they are)(what a crock of crap). We crushed the Bears, took care of the jest like we should of, somehow lost to the jags even though statistically dominated them. And lost to the browns with out the best defensive player in the game or our left tackle or our starting rb, and down two young recievers in a year there were no preseason games. Hmmmmmmmm, and yet to some of you on here this team is in shambles and has no chance to compete. WWaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, whine whine and whine some more. This team is still the best in the afc south and won't have any trouble making the playoffs

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

That’s just more reason to avoid Jacoby. We know he’s not the answer. He isn’t a SB caliber QB no matter who we put around him. So no reason to get re-committed to him over an extended period. If we really need to make a change that bad go to Eason and see what we have, because what’s the worst that happens? He doesn’t work out either and gets us a shot at being able to draft a QB high in the first that has a better shot at being the answer?

We’re better off having the freedom to try and find that next SB caliber QB Than we are being stuck in the mud in the middle of the road with Jacoby for several more years because he showed a flash at the right time and we panicked to keep him around. 

Well, I just disagree.  You put the team on the field that has the best chance at winning that game, given your available roster options.

If Reich and Sirianni think Eason gives them that, that’s who they should play.  If they think Brissett gives them that, that’s who they should play.

But, unless Eason has outperformed that much in workouts and practices, I’m guessing they would stick with Brissett - which is why they’re respectively situated where they are.

As far as future seasons go, those evaluations will be and should be made after the season.  Rivers and Jacoby will both be up for contract at that point.

Again, you cannot just assume that there are obviously better options out there...be it for this season or future ones.  About the only way you actually could do that is by calculating that you’ll be able to draft a QB you want.  And that’s always risky, because you don’t know how the picks will fall.  And it’s not like we’re going to have a top 5 pick without giving a whole lot up.

I agree and disagree with the consensus on Rivers so far. He's made some great throws that Jacoby could never make, but all but one of his INTs looked awful, and not something that a veteran should throw. I think the second INT against Cleveland was him trying to hero ball when he really didn't have to. I like Rivers a lot, but he's at the point in his career where he needs a strong supporting cast in order to win...reminds me of Peyton's last year in Denver, when Peyton was more of a game manager/team leader than actual QB.

With all that being said, I think it's still too early to drop the final hammer on Phil. He had Garrett breathing down his neck all day thanks to Clark and Reich, we did not nearly run the ball enough (thanks Reich). and Rivers is throwing to TY, Pascal, and practice squad members. We have no stud WR anymore, at least not until TY gets going.

If Phil continues to struggle, especially against the Bengals or Lions, that's when I will worry. All in all, before we start calling for Rivers' head, we should probably wait for at least half of the season to go by. For now, I think we will have to take the (hopefully) occasional bad INT with the game management skills and good deep throws (something JB could never do).

Also, in regards to JT, the kid will be a great RB. The only thing holding him back is his vision, which is just lack of chemistry and time with his brand new OL. 

We're 3-2, we just lost a close game to a strong playoff team. We will be ok, it's just one game.

Those are my thoughts

10 hours ago, Restored said:

I really don't get why play action is so underutilized by this offense. Especially for how much of an emphasis the team puts on the run game (ie. when Reich decides to run the ball 6 times in a row).

Either they are saving the play-action plays for later in the season to not show up on film or they have some concerns about their ability to execute some of those throws.

There's a lot of things I don't get. I fell in the trap of thinking we were "waiting" till later in the year for a lot of things in 2019. Feels the same this year. The only thing that changed late last year was the D a bit. The O still seemed as predictable as it was early on. probably more predictable. 

On 10/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I found a sports book in the off-season that had the over/under for Philip Rivers passing yards at 4249.5...I hammered the under, but man that should have been the second biggest bet of my life behind taking Mayweather against Conor McGregor in that sham boxing match.

I like Rivers but I had the under anyway because I just figured we would run a lot like last year. I can't remember what I posted before the season but I think I had Philip at around 3800 yards which would still be decent.

Archived