Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers getting grilled on Twitter

DownHillRunner

He's become Captian check down. That pick 6 was so obvious, the CB didn't even have to move. If it's a 3rd and 10 he'll dump a 4 yard pass. I agree with others, after watching him now for every game, Rivers is done. I thought we should have went after Andy Dalton..

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Brissett could be doing what Rivers is doing, while actually being able to pick a first down here or there with his feet. Brissett actually had better TD/INT numbers thru 5 games last year. 

I’d rather see Eason than Brisset again 

We won 3 games because of the Defense. Rivers has done nothing for 5 weeks. I’m giving him until week 8. I’m done with all of the excuses being made for him. Offensive Line gave up one sack yesterday. Yes they were going to give up pressure. The QB has to have some mobility to move in the pocket. Philip doesn’t have that. He moves way too slow. We all saw that yesterday.  No one can deny that. 

Rivers owns this season, sorry guys. I just don't see them switching out especially at 3-2. Possibly later but highly doubtful. His velocity looked poor yesterday for some reason. Didn't nearly look that bad on the previous games. This team really misses Marlon Mack who can run the ball extremely well and catch passes really well too. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I am fine with that also. I am just saying, bringing Rivers in at this point in his career was silly to me

Well, it’s not so much where he’s at in his career but what he’s got left in the tank.  I mean, who among us wouldn’t have gladly welcomed a 38 year old Tom Brady (aside from it being Tom Brady, of course)?

I liked the move, personally.  Was it a gamble? Yes.  Were we needing an upgrade at QB such that it was worth the gamble?  I’d say so.

The issue ends up becoming how long they’ll stick with him if he continues playing as poorly as he did yesterday.  And then the issue becomes, what better options do we have?

5 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Rivers owns this season, sorry guys. I just don't see them switching out especially at 3-2. Possibly later but highly doubtful. His velocity looked poor yesterday for some reason. Didn't nearly look that bad on the previous games. This team really misses Marlon Mack who can run the ball extremely well and catch passes really well too. 

Putting Rivers back there was contingent on the assumption that our OL could protect him and give him time.  That didn’t happen yesterday, and we all saw the result.

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Putting Rivers back there was contingent on the assumption that our OL could protect him and give him time.  That didn’t happen yesterday, and we all saw the result.

Can’t blame the Offensive line for his lack of mobility. Castanzo has also struggled this season. Proof is the 63 PFF grade he has so far. You have be able to move. Rivers is just too slow at this point in his career. 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I mentioned it in my first quarter thread, Rivers runs this offense better then Brissett, but that doesn't mean the offense is better.

We need rivers to be a game manager and rely on the defense and we have to get the run game going , the lost of Mack was so big Taylor has abundance of talent but just doesn’t have the vision yet. When we ask rivers to go out and win a game for us it’s not gonna be good

River's did not have a great game, and when a QB is responsible for the other team scoring 9 points and the team loses by 9 points then bulk of the blame of the loss has to fall on the QB.

That being said, Rivers did do some good things yesterday as well and he has done some good things as the Colts QB this year.  He was brought in to provide better play than the previous QB, and he has done that.  many people thought he would be the missing piece to make the Colts SB contenders, other thought he was a washed up old man.  Rivers has done things this year that both sides can point to and say, "See I was right."

People will be people but personally, I don't care one iota what people are saying to anyone on twitter.  People say things on there they would be too cowardly to say out loud to someone's face.

19 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Can’t blame the Offensive line for his lack of mobility. Castanzo has also struggled this season. Proof is the 63 PFF grade he has so far. You have be able to move. Rivers is just too slow at this point in his career. 

Not commenting on whether AC has struggled this year, but PFF grade is not proof of anything... especially when it comes to the oline.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

River's did not have a great game, and when a QB is responsible for the other team scoring 9 points and the team loses by 9 points then bulk of the blame of the loss has to fall on the QB.

That being said, Rivers did do some good things yesterday as well and he has done some good things as the Colts QB this year.  He was brought in to provide better play than the previous QB, and he has done that.  many people thought he would be the missing piece to make the Colts SB contenders, other thought he was a washed up old man.  Rivers has done things this year that both sides can point to and say, "See I was right."

People will be people but personally, I don't care one iota what people are saying to anyone on twitter.  People say things on there they would be too cowardly to say out loud to someone's face.

How has he done that? Thru 5 games he has played, he has thrown 4 TDs and 3 INTS. Those numbers arent better than what Jacoby was doing up the same point last year and a lower QBR

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You play Eason and see what you have. Eberflus has said on defense they wanted rookies to play even if it meant taking the lumps. Put him in and see what you have. This offense looks stale and no fun. 

Oh lord people sure do over react after a loss.

We're 3 - 2.  We were especially hurt by not having our left tackle in the game.  Remember the QB we have is a statue. . . he can be good, but only if he has a clean pocket.  No QB is going to do good under constant pressure.  This goes triple for Rivers because he doesn't have the athletic ability to get out of it.  Easton may have a bit more athletic ability but he's certainly not going to get out of pressure like that.

Believe it or not, based on the records even before today, the Browns is one of the toughest games of the season.

32 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Oh, I’m not blaming the OL for his lack of mobility (let alone the poor decisions he’s made under pressure).

But it’s not like his leaden mobility was any kind of surprise.  Ballard, Reich & Co. knew full well when they signed him that he wears cinder blocks as shoes.  That’s all well and good if the arm is there, the field vision is sound, and the pass-pro is effective.

But the arm isn’t there.  And, yesterday, the pass pro was anything but effective.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Oh, I’m not blaming the OL for his lack of mobility (let alone the poor decisions he’s made under pressure).

But it’s not like his leaden mobility was any kind of surprise.  Ballard, Reich & Co. knew full well when they signed him that he wears cinder blocks as shoes.  That’s all well and good if the arm is there, the field vision is sound, and the pass-pro is effective.

But the arm isn’t there.  And, yesterday, the pass pro was anything but effective.

He had time to throw. Instead he choice to throw the ball to the Browns yesterday. He should’ve had 4 INT yesterday. Browns dropped 2 of them. 

9 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

No way are we about to put a rookie QB under center.

Rivers should have some more time to show he deserves the starting job.  If not, then it would go to Brissett.  We’re not parking $40+ million worth of QBs on the bench to experiment with a 4th round draft pick.

If neither Rivers or Brissett can get it done than we might as well see what we have with Eason.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Personally, I’ve thought his velocity has been dropping off since last year. He’s already had a ton of passes either hang in the air or barely reach the target.

31 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

He still has a good enough arm.  He hit TY on a deep route like 3 games ago. . . TY just dropped it.  

It's not the arm it was the lack of pass protection. 

I don't believe for a moment that anyone else on the roster gives us a better chance to win.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

He still has a good enough arm.  He hit TY on a deep route like 3 games ago. . . TY just dropped it.  

I don't believe for a moment that anyone else on the roster gives us a better chance to win.  

Do you believe Rivers makes that same throw outdoors?

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. We missed Castonzo pretty badly. Myles Garrett pushed back Clark a lot. One led to a sack and also the safety later in the game. I think Castonzo would have been better suited to handle the rush.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree.   For better or for worse, he is the best QB on the roster right now.   Brissett shouldn't even be an option unless Rivers gets hurt and maybe not even then.  

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Which begs the question why sign him then. We could of just stuck with Jacoby and let Eason compete for the job with him.  

Because the front office listened to Frank's evaluation of Rivers. Frank said he watched every throw from Rivers last year and he thought that Rivers was a good option. I am starting to wonder about Frank's judgement. He will stay with Rivers no matter what happens just like he did with Adam.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Which begs the question why sign him then. We could of just stuck with Jacoby and let Eason compete for the job with him.  

Well for one, Rivers was signed before the draft so well before we had Eason.  For two, you don't want to count on a 4th round rookie QB for primary backup.  For three, if we didn't sign a QB and went into this season with the intention of starting Brissett at QB, the fans would have rioted.

I swear, there is absolutely no pleasing some people (not you, neccessarily) unless we go 16-0 and bring home the Lombardi.  Even then, I'm pretty sure a few people would complain that we didn't run it enough or we allowed too many yards.  Exhausting.

38 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Throwing a ball (moderately) deep and throwing a ball with velocity are two different things.  It's ironic, because I always criticized Brissett for putting too much heat on shorter passes.  Rivers seems to be erring on, uh, the other side of that metric.

I assume that NextGen Stats has data on thrown ball velocity.  It would be interesting to see that for Rivers and how it stacks up to his peers -- as well as himself in previous seasons.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

If neither Rivers or Brissett can get it done than we might as well see what we have with Eason.

Like everybody, I'm curious about Eason, too.  Sadly, we didn't have the luxury of a pre-season this year so that fans can make their own evaluations of the new talent against NFL competition.

But, despite yesterday's frustrating loss, we're still a playoff caliber team.  So long as that's the case, then the coaches need to make the personnel decisions that are in the best interests of this year's team and its playoff hopes.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Eason get some garbage time minutes, if that avails itself.  Or, if we end up finding ourselves eliminated from the playoffs, then I'd be interested seeing them mix it up a little bit.

All that said, and despite plenty of misgivings about his performances to date, I think that Rivers is the best option -- and, if that ever doesn't become the case, then Brissett is the next man up.

If any Colts fan believe Rivers was going to take this team to the promise land. This is what he is and it will not change. You never hear his name when discussions of the best quarterbacks comes up. Like did with the Chargers he will keep the Colts head above water and then there will be next season. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

My opinion.  I think Reich convinced Ballard that he could win and possibly win the SB with him.  They both thought they were close to winning it and Reich convinced Ballard to sign him.  If so that decision could come back to haunt Reich but it's still early.  There are still a lot of games left to be played.  I think one thing is certain .  If we stumble and don't make the playoffs or exit early then Eason will be given every opportunity to be our starting QB next year.  We will sign a vet as a backup but next year I think he gets the job.  Everything you read about him says he is putting in the work and showing signs he can be our guy.  So unless I hear differently I think he gets first crack at it.  But that's next year.  There is still this year.  Long way to go.  

16 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I wanted Carr over Rivers because Rivers isn’t going to lead you to anything besides turnovers and disappointment

From watching the Raiders and chiefs game earlier it doesn’t sound like the raiders were ever really serious about moving on from Carr so he might not have been an option.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My opinion.  I think Reich convinced Ballard that he could win and possibly win the SB with him.  They both thought they were close to winning it and Reich convinced Ballard to sign him.  If so that decision could come back to haunt Reich but it's still early.  There are still a lot of games left to be played.  I think one thing is certain .  If we stumble and don't make the playoffs or exit early then Eason will be given every opportunity to be our starting QB next year.  We will sign a vet as a backup but next year I think he gets the job.  Everything you read about him says he is putting in the work and showing signs he can be our guy.  So unless I hear differently I think he gets first crack at it.  But that's next year.  There is still this year.  Long way to go.  

Roster decisions all are contained by the realm of possibility.  Somebody above mentioned Carr, rather than Rivers.  Somebody else mentioned Dalton.  Well, none of us are privy to the nitty-gritty details of who is and isn't a realistic option -- and what tradeoffs would come with taking this or that or some third option.  It's a complex business.  And no team is ever alone in being in the market for a high-caliber starting QB.

The bottom line is that Ballard, Reich, Sirianni, etal evaluated Rivers in workouts.  And, clearly, the consensus view was that he was still capable of not only being a starting QB in the NFL, but a better one than Jacoby Brissett (or, at least, a better fit for our offense).  And, on top of that, he was gettable.

But I agree, this year is this year.  Next year is next year.  Both Rivers and Brissett are FAs after this season.  Barring injuries, I think there is close to zero chance that Jacob Eason will be starting any games at QB for the Colts this year.  We'll have to see what Ballard decides to do with the position next year.  He's going to have some options.

Archived