Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers getting grilled on Twitter

DownHillRunner

Ryan Clark, Colin Cowherd, Dan Orlovsky, all grilled Rivers earlier in separate tweets. Even Zak Keefer grilled him, when he said he didn't agree with Reich on Rivers doing good things today. What I saw today from Rivers today is an old Quarterback who's arm has diminished. The throw to Doyle that could've been a 1st down was a poorly thrown ball. The two interceptions were * poor throws and there was a throw to TY that he threw low and and was incomplete. Where do the Colts go from here with their QB situation? Jacoby is not an option, so anyone who says Frank needs to put him in just stop. Eason is not ready. Hell, Eason might not be ready next season. We could see another Chad Kelly situation where he is a 3rd string QB for the rest of his career. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I’m sure Rivers is sitting in a dark room in his giant house away from his loving family, reading what the nobodies have to say about him. 

I think the bigger problem isn’t what’s being said where or if he’s reading it or (which for the record i agree with you he’s not) but the fact his play deserves what he’s getting.  I am much more worried about that.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think the bigger problem isn’t what’s being said where or if he’s reading it or (which for the record i agree with you he’s not) but the fact his play deserves what he’s getting.  I am much more worried about that.

He absolutely does. He knows it too. Can’t last this long in the league without self awareness. It’s whether or not he can change, mentally or physically.

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

He absolutely does. He knows it too. Can’t last this long in the league without self awareness. It’s whether or not he can change, mentally or physically.

Well at this point the later isn’t going to happen so we can just hope he starts making smarter decisions.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You play Eason and see what you have. Eberflus has said on defense they wanted rookies to play even if it meant taking the lumps. Put him in and see what you have. This offense looks stale and no fun. 

Reich would be ultra conservative with Eason. If fun is what you want, don't count on any of our QBs to be fun with Reich calling plays.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You play Eason and see what you have. Eberflus has said on defense they wanted rookies to play even if it meant taking the lumps. Put him in and see what you have. This offense looks stale and no fun. 

No way are we about to put a rookie QB under center.

Rivers should have some more time to show he deserves the starting job.  If not, then it would go to Brissett.  We’re not parking $40+ million worth of QBs on the bench to experiment with a 4th round draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I keep hearing about Eason's arm strength but what about his other attributes? Remember,Jay Cutler was praised for his arm strength coming out of Vanderbilt and how did that turn out? 

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Rivers should have some more time to show he deserves the starting job.  If not, then it would go to Brissett.  We’re not parking $40+ million worth of QBs on the bench to experiment with a 4th round draft pick.

It’s not going to happen but I get the argument for if Rivers is going to make rookie mistakes you might as well play the rookie.  

With that said, if there is a QB change, which again I don’t think there will be, you go to Jacoby until you are eliminated from the playoffs then you play Eason.  

I do wonder if maybe we see a little more of Jacoby in the redzone to try to give the redzone offense a spark.  That’s part of his game he did well last year.  His problem was getting the team there.  

Still that leads to the age old problem if you have two QBs you don’t have one.

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah when you say it out loud...it sounds insane. However...it might be fun for a bit.

Reich doesn’t use Hines in space. Reich forgets about Mo. Reich forgets to run the ball even though Taylor was averaging 5 yards a carry. Reich doesn’t utilize his players talents. Use Dulins speed more. 

The onlt good thing is we plsy teo bad teams. If we lose to the Bengals or Lions we are in serious trouble.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don't do that until you are out of playoff contention. It is ignorant to assume Eason could take this team to the playoffs or keep them competitive with a short offseason

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah when you say it out loud...it sounds insane. However...it might be fun for a bit.

I would rather lose if it means developing the future and making the offense more fun. I think this team is good enough I don’t think Eason would be that bad.  The important thing is the Oline is there to protect him.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Which begs the question why sign him then. We could of just stuck with Jacoby and let Eason compete for the job with him.  

They wanted someone the rookie could learn from for a couple years. Which is why I can’t figure out why not Brady, who reportedly had interest in coming here, than Rivers. What in the world could you possibly want a young QB to learn from Rivers over Brady?

I get the years of bad blood would be awkward for some. (Guilty.) But that would still be better than Rivers. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich doesn’t use Hines in space. Reich forgets about Mo. Reich forgets to run the ball even though Taylor was averaging 5 yards a carry. Reich doesn’t utilize his players talents. Use Dulins speed more. 

The onlt good thing is we plsy teo bad teams. If we lose to the Bengals or Lions we are in serious trouble.

One of Rivers picks came trying to force it to Mo.  I think the browns were keying on him.  Won’t disagree with the point about Hines.  They try to over use him and do it in all the wrong ways.  I want to see more of Taylor but I think that’s a product of over thinking  about him.  That goes on the head coach.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I can promise you this isn’t what the Colts thought they were getting.  If they had they wouldn’t have given him that contract.   

Bad turnovers, bad clutch time performance, questionable judgment, and not the guy who can lead an average team to great results. All of these things Rivers made the world sure of in the first 15 years of his career. A change of scenery wasn’t the magic answer to that. 

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Bad turnovers, bad clutch time performance, questionable judgment, and not the guy who can lead an average team to great results. All of these things Rivers made the world sure of in the first 15 years of his career. A change of scenery wasn’t the magic answer to that. 

I think they didn’t believe his body had declined much as it has and really thought last year was a product of a bad team more than him declining.  To this point it looks like they were wrong.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When your having trouble pass protecting screen passes can be the antidote. Where were all the short screen passes.

The Colts are the worst team in the league at screens on both sides of the ball it feels like.  I know they probably aren’t but their offensive ones are normally ugly and get stuffed for losses and on defense it looks like they have never seen a screen before when teams pull it out against them.

All points are well taken when something like this happens like losing when you could have actually won.  Bad decisions on the coach and QB contributed to the loss to the Browns.  Reich got out coached again, should have utilized the running game more with Taylor.  It seems like, Taylor is in on one or two plays and gets replaced.  There is no consistency here.  Also when you have a 1st and 5 yds, and you throw resulting in incomplete passes that ends up punting, instead of running for the first down, since JT was averaging 5 yds.  Seasoned QB like Rivers was making bonehead mistakes like crazy and let alone cannot throw pass 30 yds, it's like JB all over again....

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Ryan Clark, Colin Cowherd, Dan Orlovsky, all grilled Rivers earlier in separate tweets. Even Zak Keefer grilled him, when he said he didn't agree with Reich on Rivers doing good things today. What I saw today from Rivers today is an old Quarterback who's arm has diminished. The throw to Doyle that could've been a 1st down was a poorly thrown ball. The two interceptions were * poor throws and there was a throw to TY that he threw low and and was incomplete. Where do the Colts go from here with their QB situation? Jacoby is not an option, so anyone who says Frank needs to put him in just stop. Eason is not ready. Hell, Eason might not be ready next season. We could see another Chad Kelly situation where he is a 3rd string QB for the rest of his career. 

The person who should be 'Grilled' over Rivers play is Ballard not Rivers.

Rivers is who he is and that's no surprise.  Especially when you factor in he's  100 years old and he just came off a horrible season.

There were other options but ballard chose him instead. 

And Ballard didn't do any favors for Rivers by giving him the worst weapons in the league. 

Regardless if Rivers or Brissett is quarterbacking this team, our qb play will mostly be underwhelming with no weapons to truly make it easier for them.

32 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The weapons that he(Ballard) supposedly gave the team, (Pittman,Patmon, JT) are either injured or not being properly utilized.  I blame it mostly on the Coaches then Rivers...

If they are injured how is that on the coaches?  It’s not like they made Pittman get hurt.  Patman was a bit of a project so I don’t think he was ever really considered to be a big weapon given to Rivers.  That was Pittman, burton, and, Campbell.  All of which have been hurt and one is just trying to come back from an injury in his first year with a new team and missing what little of the off-season program there was.  

He’s also missing Mack his starting running back because of injury and I think we are seeing how important Mack was to the running game.  It’s not as simple as insert running back with talent here behind this line.  Mack had some talent too.  Taylor also has talent I would agree has been under utilized some that and the over use of Hines are my biggest issues with the offensive coaches.

Frankly the offense has been decimated by injuries.  Their top running back, starting left tackle, top two tight ends, and second and third WRs have all missed time due to injury.  That would even slow the Kansas City Chiefs offense down.  

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There’s one position in football that’s not like all the rest.    11 on offense, 11 on defense.    Care to guess which position you DON’T treat like all the rest?    Yup, THAT’S the one! 

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It might also be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

When a player has a bad game that contributes a lot towards a defeat, there are usually calls to bench him (or more).  These all operate any the assumption that whoever takes their place will be, must be, could only be....better than the first guy.

But there’s always a reason the first guy was starting.  And none of us have the luxury of seeing the guys in practices.

Im sure the coaching staff has the same concerns about Rivers that are being expressed here....no matter what they say in public.

But what we’re seeing is why so many clubs have cycled through so many starting QBs. That’s just something we haven’t been used to - having been blessed with Manning and Luck (and even Harbaugh, before them).

Archived