Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too Much Hate On Phillip Rivers

Boss7894

17 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

He's not the gun slinger anymore, that's for sure. It seems he looks to throw to the check down at the snap, and the Browns knew it. Notice how the Browns played tight the whole game? He looks to throw the 4 yard pass, and he does,

They played tight cuz that’s the defense that they play believing their pass rush will get up. Second, not one WR we have right now is threatening. There is very little worry of someone running by them so they play tight. They prob also saw that Rivers arm is very noodle like

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We played a very good team today and lost.  It happens.  They are legit.  Rivers has his issues but he still gives us the best chance to win every Sunday.  The coaches need to help him out with better game planning and play calling and not asking a 38 year old to play like a 28 yr old.  He is what he is at this stage of his career.  I just hope they realize that soon enough.  We are going to lose games.  Today was one of those.  No one expected us to win them all.  The quicker we move on to Cincinnati the better.  

So much this. . . Rivers is what we thought he was.  He's got no mobility so if you can't give him good protection, he can't give you good play.  Furthermore for the most part he's probably not a guy who can carry a team.  But QB's who can carry a team can't be picked up in free agency.  You have to get them in the draft and get lucky.  

Look at one point they posted a stat during the game that said Rivers had 18 drop backs, and he was either hit, sacked, or hurried on 15 of those 18 drop backs.  That's not a formula for success with any QB. . . but it's even worse with a guy who isn't very moble.  

Realize that losing your left tackle against a team with a top pass rusher hurts a lot.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

So much this. . . Rivers is what we thought he was.  He's got no mobility so if you can't give him good protection, he can't give you good play.  Furthermore for the most part he's probably not a guy who can carry a team.  But QB's who can carry a team can't be picked up in free agency.  You have to get them in the draft and get lucky.  

Look at one point they posted a stat during the game that said Rivers had 18 drop backs, and he was either hit, sacked, or hurried on 15 of those 18 drop backs.  That's not a formula for success with any QB. . . but it's even worse with a guy who isn't very moble.  

Realize that losing your left tackle against a team with a top pass rusher hurts a lot.  

Those pressure numbers would be low if he could move. AC not playing had nothing to do with his play yesterday at all. Rivers for 5 weeks hasn’t played well. 

55 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Those pressure numbers would be low if he could move. AC not playing had nothing to do with his play yesterday at all. Rivers for 5 weeks hasn’t played well. 

Oh bull he played well for 3 games straight.  No he didn't play like he's Andrew Luck because he never was.  

Again the QB you want isn't within our reach and wasn't last year.  Shoot even Easton isn't that mobile.

Not having AC was a huge part of what happened yesterday.   Against the Bears Mack wasn't getting to Rivers and while Rivers missed on a few throws there, he also kept the ball safe against a very good defense.  (A defense that I will point out just held Tampa Bay and Tom Brady to under 20 points.)

Sure there are QB's better than Rivers. . . I'd love to have Pat Mahomes right now, (And even he lost, throwing a pick 6 in the process!)  But those QB's were not really available to us.  So we got Rivers and of anyone on the roster or any QB in FA last year, I would say Rivers gives us the best chance to win.  

13 hours ago, BigO said:

The chargers knew he was done. Face it he has no arm strength any more and he has been a statue for most of his career. The only reason we signed him was because of Frank and  the offense coordinator. The sad thing is we could have had Cam for 1 million instead of 25 million for noodle arm 

His arm isn’t even the problem. It’s the decision making.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh bull he played well for 3 games straight.  No he didn't play like he's Andrew Luck because he never was.  

Again the QB you want isn't within our reach and wasn't last year.  Shoot even Easton isn't that mobile.

Not having AC was a huge part of what happened yesterday.   Against the Bears Mack wasn't getting to Rivers and while Rivers missed on a few throws there, he also kept the ball safe against a very good defense.  (A defense that I will point out just held Tampa Bay and Tom Brady to under 20 points.)

Sure there are QB's better than Rivers. . . I'd love to have Pat Mahomes right now, (And even he lost, throwing a pick 6 in the process!)  But those QB's were not really available to us.  So we got Rivers and of anyone on the roster or any QB in FA last year, I would say Rivers gives us the best chance to win.  

No clue what Rivers you’ve been watching for the past 5 weeks. I will be praying for you though 

I've never been a huge fan of Rivers play, and never thought that he would take this average roster to the SB, but in his defense:

Rivers has always thrown with a lot of body rotation.  That low slung pushing action with the arm just wont get it done if he can't set his feet in the pocket.

Cleveland knew that the timing would be off with our JAG wideouts, and could harass him with our average oline once AC was out.

Like most QBs, Rivers needs a solid oline, talent at the receiver positions, and a running game that isn't a RB-by-committee approach "just because".

He didn't have even one of those, because of various reasons stemming from injuries, coaching, and roster management.

The Catch 22 we have is we have a team that was designed for Andrew Luck and he decided to retire. We are almost to the point where we don't have enough time to break in a rookie from the draft and waste a year are two. Very limited on young QB talent already veterans out there who haven't become damaged goods. 

17 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Sam Darnold ? really?  I think the Jets have already ruined him. Like Houston  did to David Carr. 

Could be the case...but I am willing to roll the dice on him...especially if it only cost a 2nd round pick or something like that. Darnold is only 23...and I think he would flourish behind an OL that gave him time. Plus...he is fairly mobile.

Those of you who want to bench Rivers, what is the alternative?  So you want to see another year of Jacoby Brissett?  I think he has won like 9 out of 31 starts or something like that.  I would rather roll this year with Rivers and go 9-7 then have Brissett play and possibly have Colts extend him as a free agent.  I WISH the Colts would move Eason to #2 and get him into some games as the season goes in.  He has the arm to stretch the defense.  I see no benefit playing Brissett.  He will most likely be gone at end of year and the last thing I want is to him to be around after this year.  He is a terrible, terrible QB.  I can't believe last year when the Colts were 5-2 and they were saying he is in MVP race. That was all about the running game and defense. Once teams figured out to just press the line, he couldn't do anything.  Honestly, I would rather re-sign Mike Pagel and have him play then ever see Brissett play another snap for the Colts.  He is terrible!!!

The Browns are a good team.  They will go far in playoffs this year.  No need to panick.  The Colts will win next week and go into bye at 4-2.

It's not about hate, it's about past is prologue. Reich is about to repeat the decision making process he used with Adam Vinatieri in regards to Phillip Rivers. Belief can be a part of the decision making process but if you do it with disregard for data you are foolish. The path to Phillip Rivers contributing to the Colts success is not binary (as in play take all the snaps as the starter or none of the snaps). The data is clear that Rivers is not the Rivers that Reich coached a few years ago. You can't ostrich the problems Rivers is having away....didn't work with Adam, won't work with Rivers.

Archived