Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too Much Hate On Phillip Rivers


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

There’s too much hate on Phillip Rivers right now so to offset that and make everybody feel better about Phillip as our QB I thought I’d post this video::

 

 

You're  right I blame Andrew Luck lol

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO he has been the biggest reason for the 2 losses so far this season.  I think his arm is shot, but he still tries to throw it into tight windows like he did when he was 28.  But he's 38 and that arm can't get in in there quick enough.  I think he still has it mentally but the physical part is failing him.  At this point, I would just as soon turn back to either Jacoby or give the rook a shot.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority.  I just have no faith in this offense right now and it needs a shot of something else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AZColt11 said:

IMHO he has been the biggest reason for the 2 losses so far this season.  I think his arm is shot, but he still tries to throw it into tight windows like he did when he was 28.  But he's 38 and that arm can't get in in there quick enough.  I think he still has it mentally but the physical part is failing him.  At this point, I would just as soon turn back to either Jacoby or give the rook a shot.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority.  I just have no faith in this offense right now and it needs a shot of something else.

I’m giving Rivers one game after the bye week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The chargers knew he was done. Face it he has no arm strength any more and he has been a statue for most of his career. The only reason we signed him was because of Frank and  the offense coordinator. The sad thing is we could have had Cam for 1 million instead of 25 million for noodle arm 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

IMHO he has been the biggest reason for the 2 losses so far this season.  I think his arm is shot, but he still tries to throw it into tight windows like he did when he was 28.  But he's 38 and that arm can't get in in there quick enough.  I think he still has it mentally but the physical part is failing him.  At this point, I would just as soon turn back to either Jacoby or give the rook a shot.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority.  I just have no faith in this offense right now and it needs a shot of something else.

I totally agree were not going anywhere this year with Rivers as our QB anyway give the rookie some experience. 

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

He's gotta understand it's ok to punt.

 

He's throwing some of these dumb ints like they're 4th down Hail Marys.

Yeah, it's like he don't think out there sometimes. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I wonder if Brady would have signed with us ? He no doubt has way more arm left than Rivers . If so , pretty bad mistake by Ballard.

he would have, there are articles out there about his interest in the colts.  he wanted 2 years though 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers was never meant to be the final piece to the puzzle. He is a stop gap QB. So I’m not sure why so many people are expecting him to be our franchise savior. 
 

Rivers is what he is. He brings veteran leadership to a young team. He has very little mobility in the pocket. We knew this when we signed him. 

 

I do believe Brissett would have given us a better chance to win today. However, in other situations Rivers is a better choice. And it’s because of Brissett’s mobility. We were missing our starting LT, who is arguably one of the top 10 LTs in the league and we were lining up against a very good DL with arguably the best DE in football. Today, Rivers was a sitting duck. 
 

Ballard plays the long game. There are no shortcuts. Until we find our franchise QB (who might already be a rookie on the team), we are going to have some growing pains. 
 

If I were the Colts GM (and I’m not), I would be calling the Jets and asking what they want for Darnold. Probably could get him for Brissett and our 2021 first round pick. I think Darnold would flourish on this Colts team. But that’s just my opinion. Even if that were to happen, I would still sit Darnold behind Rivers for a while. Unless some kind of trade was made after the season, because then Darnold would have an offseason to prepare. 
 

I also think Eason could be a diamond in the rough. He has some real skills, and it will be interesting if the Colts front office are all in on him. It could turn out well for us. 
 

No matter what the Colts front office decides to do, we can rest assured that Rivers is short-term. From what I’ve seen so far, Rivers is not taking this team to the Super Bowl. Playoffs? Maybe. Things change though. My opinion can change too. We probably could end up anywhere between 7-9 to 11-5. 
 

This Colts defense is terrific and it’s probably going to get better over the next few years. I’m being patient and enjoying the journey of watching all of this develop. It’s fun watching this team get built without a franchise QB in place. We’ve watched it get built on the opposite side of the spectrum with Manning and Luck. To me, this is very interesting. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Rivers was never meant to be the final piece to the puzzle. He is a stop gap QB. So I’m not sure why so many people are expecting him to be our franchise savior. 
 

Rivers is what he is. He brings veteran leadership to a young team. He has very little mobility in the pocket. We knew this when we signed him. 

 

I do believe Brissett would have given us a better chance to win today. However, in other situations Rivers is a better choice. And it’s because of Brissett’s mobility. We were missing our starting LT, who is arguably one of the top 10 LTs in the league and we were lining up against a very good DL with arguably the best DE in football. Today, Rivers was a sitting duck. 
 

Ballard plays the long game. There are no shortcuts. Until we find our franchise QB (who might already be a rookie on the team), we are going to have some growing pains. 
 

If I were the Colts GM (and I’m not), I would be calling the Jets and asking what they want for Darnold. Probably could get him for Brissett and our 2021 first round pick. I think Darnold would flourish on this Colts team. But that’s just my opinion. Even if that were to happen, I would still sit Darnold behind Rivers for a while. Unless some kind of trade was made after the season, because then Darnold would have an offseason to prepare. 
 

I also think Eason could be a diamond in the rough. He has some real skills, and it will be interesting if the Colts front office are all in on him. It could turn out well for us. 
 

No matter what the Colts front office decides to do, we can rest assured that Rivers is short-term. From what I’ve seen so far, Rivers is not taking this team to the Super Bowl. Playoffs? Maybe. Things change though. My opinion can change too. We probably could end up anywhere between 7-9 to 11-5. 
 

This Colts defense is terrific and it’s probably going to get better over the next few years. I’m being patient and enjoying the journey of watching all of this develop. It’s fun watching this team get built without a franchise QB in place. We’ve watched it get built on the opposite side of the spectrum with Manning and Luck. To me, this is very interesting. 

My question would be what is the point of bringing Rivers in? What was the stop-gap for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

There’s too much hate on Phillip Rivers right now so to offset that and make everybody feel better about Phillip as our QB I thought I’d post this video::

 

 

Id say its warranted. Chargers nation had a feeling he was finished and he is known the past few years for bad INT's and pick sixes in crucial situations. So far he in 5 games he has 2 games with multiple bad INT's leading to losses. In the other games he has not looked much better we ran the ball and played defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

My question would be what is the point of bringing Rivers in? What was the stop-gap for?


I can’t speak for the front office, but logic says Brissett is not the answer either, Eason is not ready to throw in the fire, and Rivers buys us time to figure the QB position out. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He is definitely not what was even 2 years ago and not worth 25 mil at current level of play, but keep in mind, the assumptions when he signed here were that

1) We would be running ball at a top 10 in the league level. Right now, we are no where close to that

2) There would be guys like Mack, Campbell to get the ball to who could make plays in space and had top end speed to create separation or generate home run type plays.  This would, in turn, allow a guy like Hines to be used to create mismatches for a handful of plays a game.  Both guys are lost for the season along with another WR (Pittman) who figured to play a prominent role.  

 

With those two tenets not being met, it is not surprising what we have gotten from Rivers.  

 

Just my opinion, but even with those obstacles, the passing looks like better than last year and the plays downfield are not being missed, mistimed as it was multiple times with Brissett last year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:


I can’t speak for the front office, but logic says Brissett is not the answer either, Eason is not ready to throw in the fire, and Rivers buys us time to figure the QB position out. 

I think that is silly and a waste. I really don’t see the value Rivers adds. Brissett could do exactly what Rivers is doing and that money could have been used elsewhere to supplement the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

he would have, there are articles out there about his interest in the colts.  he wanted 2 years though 

 

 

You're right , I do now remember he wanted 2 years.

 

Ehhh... if you think about it , might have been worth it. Unless Eason was a massive steal , who is the favorite to start next year ? But yeah ... a 1 year deal is far better. We already blew a year of salary cap money with JB.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boss7894 said:

There’s too much hate on Phillip Rivers right now so to offset that and make everybody feel better about Phillip as our QB I thought I’d post this video::

 

 

Philip is not getting the job done plain and simple , he the beat we got but that ain’t saying much at this point. No arm strength left .... noodle arm at this point and no pocket mobility left tbh he is a shell of him self 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

he got covid with the patriots .  with the colts in a different state with coming into contact with different people he never would of got it here.

I believe the correct answer would be Jacoby Brissett

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We played a very good team today and lost.  It happens.  They are legit.  Rivers has his issues but he still gives us the best chance to win every Sunday.  The coaches need to help him out with better game planning and play calling and not asking a 38 year old to play like a 28 yr old.  He is what he is at this stage of his career.  I just hope they realize that soon enough.  We are going to lose games.  Today was one of those.  No one expected us to win them all.  The quicker we move on to Cincinnati the better.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Rivers was never meant to be the final piece to the puzzle. He is a stop gap QB. So I’m not sure why so many people are expecting him to be our franchise savior. 
 

Rivers is what he is. He brings veteran leadership to a young team. He has very little mobility in the pocket. We knew this when we signed him. 

 

I do believe Brissett would have given us a better chance to win today. However, in other situations Rivers is a better choice. And it’s because of Brissett’s mobility. We were missing our starting LT, who is arguably one of the top 10 LTs in the league and we were lining up against a very good DL with arguably the best DE in football. Today, Rivers was a sitting duck. 
 

Ballard plays the long game. There are no shortcuts. Until we find our franchise QB (who might already be a rookie on the team), we are going to have some growing pains. 
 

If I were the Colts GM (and I’m not), I would be calling the Jets and asking what they want for Darnold. Probably could get him for Brissett and our 2021 first round pick. I think Darnold would flourish on this Colts team. But that’s just my opinion. Even if that were to happen, I would still sit Darnold behind Rivers for a while. Unless some kind of trade was made after the season, because then Darnold would have an offseason to prepare. 
 

I also think Eason could be a diamond in the rough. He has some real skills, and it will be interesting if the Colts front office are all in on him. It could turn out well for us. 
 

No matter what the Colts front office decides to do, we can rest assured that Rivers is short-term. From what I’ve seen so far, Rivers is not taking this team to the Super Bowl. Playoffs? Maybe. Things change though. My opinion can change too. We probably could end up anywhere between 7-9 to 11-5. 
 

This Colts defense is terrific and it’s probably going to get better over the next few years. I’m being patient and enjoying the journey of watching all of this develop. It’s fun watching this team get built without a franchise QB in place. We’ve watched it get built on the opposite side of the spectrum with Manning and Luck. To me, this is very interesting. 


Darnold is absolutely the play. You can still develop Eason...having two good young QBs is not a bad thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, shasta519 said:


Darnold is absolutely the play. You can still develop Eason...having two good young QBs is not a bad thing.

USC QBs.... nope......

 

Rivers is a stop gap. Either Eason develops, or we get someone else. 

 

Sign me up for Carr, who just outplayed Mahomes on the road in KC. Let him bring Ruggs with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:


I can’t speak for the front office, but logic says Brissett is not the answer either, Eason is not ready to throw in the fire, and Rivers buys us time to figure the QB position out. 

The thought of Rivers “buying time” is hilarious. Have you seen him move in the pocket?  Guy couldn’t beat old Dan Marino in a foot race and is even more reluctant to navigate the pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't call it hate? More like disappointed and mad. 

One thing I can take positive is the defense stepped up in the second half. They were put in a bad spot with the mistakes our offense put them in. But the adjustments Eberflus made at halftime was done correctly. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not the gun slinger anymore, that's for sure. It seems he looks to throw to the check down at the snap, and the Browns knew it. Notice how the Browns played tight the whole game? He looks to throw the 4 yard pass, and he does,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I disagree with this. You don't have to have a top five defense to win a SB, but you have to be capable of getting stops and making plays, especially against good QBs.    Also, I'm not acting like a defense is going to win a championship for us. My point is that if we're really trying to contend with Rivers at QB, the defense needs to be a lot better.
    • I think this coaching and admin staff have always been about that BALANCED offense, even when #12 was QB. I dont think they've ever wanted the QB 'carrying' the offense if they can help it.   Those games you reference are fair game but I think you're possibly underestimating how much Reich already calls to games recognizing who is at QB. I'm close to 100% certain that much of how the Offense played in 2020 was QB-dependent. I think they recognize those limitations.   On your comment about 'game manager', I don't know that I can agree there. Rivers is already the ultimate Captain Checkdown (is that what you mean by game manager?) and he has always been more about taking what the defense gives him. He's still good at that.   Throw out the Jags game because even Luck lost to them and they always give the Colts a game for some odd reason. The other two games are games I think were winnable but dont underestimate how good those defenses are. I think they forced Rivers into situations that led to the decisions he made. I dont think Rivers has ever been a hero-ball QB....   One last thing, I think even as the 7 seed this year, the Colts showed enough to get to the SB but that's just me and my personal biases. 
    • Oh no. If he leaves who will...     uh, do whatever he does for us?   What does he do?   Remember all those years Caldwell was our QB coach, and his job actually consisted of making sure Peyton didn’t want a water on the sidelines?    Maybe that’s what Frank makes Nick do...
    • not saying you're wrong but I will say that execution played a bigger role than you're letting on here.  We hat the talent to perform better than we did.  If you have an A level defense but don't execute at an A level, you're going to get the same underperformance as if it was a personnel problem.   In particular I think our secondary needs a coaching switchup.  Our front 7 is nearly legendary but the secondary has issues that urgently need addressed.  For whatever reason the issues with our secondary resulted in a lot of soft zones despite a front 7 that plays better in other formation.   I think if we can get those big issues in the secondary addressed that we can compete with a lesser light at QB.  
    • If they make the SB, with the extra bye week to get him up to speed, I can see the Bills sign him. 
  • Members

    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 7,398

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsFan_98

      ColtsFan_98 11

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 770

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 4,274

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Superman

      Superman 8,361

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt.45

      Colt.45 279

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 9,014

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 2,099

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtV

      ColtV 168

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Fish

      The Fish 908

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...