Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too Much Hate On Phillip Rivers

Boss7894

IMHO he has been the biggest reason for the 2 losses so far this season.  I think his arm is shot, but he still tries to throw it into tight windows like he did when he was 28.  But he's 38 and that arm can't get in in there quick enough.  I think he still has it mentally but the physical part is failing him.  At this point, I would just as soon turn back to either Jacoby or give the rook a shot.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority.  I just have no faith in this offense right now and it needs a shot of something else.

Just now, AZColt11 said:

IMHO he has been the biggest reason for the 2 losses so far this season.  I think his arm is shot, but he still tries to throw it into tight windows like he did when he was 28.  But he's 38 and that arm can't get in in there quick enough.  I think he still has it mentally but the physical part is failing him.  At this point, I would just as soon turn back to either Jacoby or give the rook a shot.  But I'm sure I'm in the minority.  I just have no faith in this offense right now and it needs a shot of something else.

I’m giving Rivers one game after the bye week. 

The chargers knew he was done. Face it he has no arm strength any more and he has been a statue for most of his career. The only reason we signed him was because of Frank and  the offense coordinator. The sad thing is we could have had Cam for 1 million instead of 25 million for noodle arm 

13 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I totally agree were not going anywhere this year with Rivers as our QB anyway give the rookie some experience. 

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

He's gotta understand it's ok to punt.

He's throwing some of these dumb ints like they're 4th down Hail Marys.

Yeah, it's like he don't think out there sometimes. 

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I wonder if Brady would have signed with us ? He no doubt has way more arm left than Rivers . If so , pretty bad mistake by Ballard.

he would have, there are articles out there about his interest in the colts.  he wanted 2 years though 

Rivers was never meant to be the final piece to the puzzle. He is a stop gap QB. So I’m not sure why so many people are expecting him to be our franchise savior. 

Rivers is what he is. He brings veteran leadership to a young team. He has very little mobility in the pocket. We knew this when we signed him. 

I do believe Brissett would have given us a better chance to win today. However, in other situations Rivers is a better choice. And it’s because of Brissett’s mobility. We were missing our starting LT, who is arguably one of the top 10 LTs in the league and we were lining up against a very good DL with arguably the best DE in football. Today, Rivers was a sitting duck. 

Ballard plays the long game. There are no shortcuts. Until we find our franchise QB (who might already be a rookie on the team), we are going to have some growing pains. 

If I were the Colts GM (and I’m not), I would be calling the Jets and asking what they want for Darnold. Probably could get him for Brissett and our 2021 first round pick. I think Darnold would flourish on this Colts team. But that’s just my opinion. Even if that were to happen, I would still sit Darnold behind Rivers for a while. Unless some kind of trade was made after the season, because then Darnold would have an offseason to prepare. 

I also think Eason could be a diamond in the rough. He has some real skills, and it will be interesting if the Colts front office are all in on him. It could turn out well for us. 

No matter what the Colts front office decides to do, we can rest assured that Rivers is short-term. From what I’ve seen so far, Rivers is not taking this team to the Super Bowl. Playoffs? Maybe. Things change though. My opinion can change too. We probably could end up anywhere between 7-9 to 11-5. 

This Colts defense is terrific and it’s probably going to get better over the next few years. I’m being patient and enjoying the journey of watching all of this develop. It’s fun watching this team get built without a franchise QB in place. We’ve watched it get built on the opposite side of the spectrum with Manning and Luck. To me, this is very interesting. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Rivers was never meant to be the final piece to the puzzle. He is a stop gap QB. So I’m not sure why so many people are expecting him to be our franchise savior. 

Rivers is what he is. He brings veteran leadership to a young team. He has very little mobility in the pocket. We knew this when we signed him. 

I do believe Brissett would have given us a better chance to win today. However, in other situations Rivers is a better choice. And it’s because of Brissett’s mobility. We were missing our starting LT, who is arguably one of the top 10 LTs in the league and we were lining up against a very good DL with arguably the best DE in football. Today, Rivers was a sitting duck. 

Ballard plays the long game. There are no shortcuts. Until we find our franchise QB (who might already be a rookie on the team), we are going to have some growing pains. 

If I were the Colts GM (and I’m not), I would be calling the Jets and asking what they want for Darnold. Probably could get him for Brissett and our 2021 first round pick. I think Darnold would flourish on this Colts team. But that’s just my opinion. Even if that were to happen, I would still sit Darnold behind Rivers for a while. Unless some kind of trade was made after the season, because then Darnold would have an offseason to prepare. 

I also think Eason could be a diamond in the rough. He has some real skills, and it will be interesting if the Colts front office are all in on him. It could turn out well for us. 

No matter what the Colts front office decides to do, we can rest assured that Rivers is short-term. From what I’ve seen so far, Rivers is not taking this team to the Super Bowl. Playoffs? Maybe. Things change though. My opinion can change too. We probably could end up anywhere between 7-9 to 11-5. 

This Colts defense is terrific and it’s probably going to get better over the next few years. I’m being patient and enjoying the journey of watching all of this develop. It’s fun watching this team get built without a franchise QB in place. We’ve watched it get built on the opposite side of the spectrum with Manning and Luck. To me, this is very interesting. 

My question would be what is the point of bringing Rivers in? What was the stop-gap for?

50 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

There’s too much hate on Phillip Rivers right now so to offset that and make everybody feel better about Phillip as our QB I thought I’d post this video::

Id say its warranted. Chargers nation had a feeling he was finished and he is known the past few years for bad INT's and pick sixes in crucial situations. So far he in 5 games he has 2 games with multiple bad INT's leading to losses. In the other games he has not looked much better we ran the ball and played defense.

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

My question would be what is the point of bringing Rivers in? What was the stop-gap for?

I can’t speak for the front office, but logic says Brissett is not the answer either, Eason is not ready to throw in the fire, and Rivers buys us time to figure the QB position out. 

He is definitely not what was even 2 years ago and not worth 25 mil at current level of play, but keep in mind, the assumptions when he signed here were that

1) We would be running ball at a top 10 in the league level. Right now, we are no where close to that

2) There would be guys like Mack, Campbell to get the ball to who could make plays in space and had top end speed to create separation or generate home run type plays.  This would, in turn, allow a guy like Hines to be used to create mismatches for a handful of plays a game.  Both guys are lost for the season along with another WR (Pittman) who figured to play a prominent role.  

With those two tenets not being met, it is not surprising what we have gotten from Rivers.  

Just my opinion, but even with those obstacles, the passing looks like better than last year and the plays downfield are not being missed, mistimed as it was multiple times with Brissett last year. 

22 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I can’t speak for the front office, but logic says Brissett is not the answer either, Eason is not ready to throw in the fire, and Rivers buys us time to figure the QB position out. 

I think that is silly and a waste. I really don’t see the value Rivers adds. Brissett could do exactly what Rivers is doing and that money could have been used elsewhere to supplement the team.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

he would have, there are articles out there about his interest in the colts.  he wanted 2 years though 

You're right , I do now remember he wanted 2 years.

Ehhh... if you think about it , might have been worth it. Unless Eason was a massive steal , who is the favorite to start next year ? But yeah ... a 1 year deal is far better. We already blew a year of salary cap money with JB.

1 hour ago, Boss7894 said:

There’s too much hate on Phillip Rivers right now so to offset that and make everybody feel better about Phillip as our QB I thought I’d post this video::

Philip is not getting the job done plain and simple , he the beat we got but that ain’t saying much at this point. No arm strength left .... noodle arm at this point and no pocket mobility left tbh he is a shell of him self 

We played a very good team today and lost.  It happens.  They are legit.  Rivers has his issues but he still gives us the best chance to win every Sunday.  The coaches need to help him out with better game planning and play calling and not asking a 38 year old to play like a 28 yr old.  He is what he is at this stage of his career.  I just hope they realize that soon enough.  We are going to lose games.  Today was one of those.  No one expected us to win them all.  The quicker we move on to Cincinnati the better.  

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Darnold is absolutely the play. You can still develop Eason...having two good young QBs is not a bad thing.

59 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Darnold is absolutely the play. You can still develop Eason...having two good young QBs is not a bad thing.

USC QBs.... nope......

Rivers is a stop gap. Either Eason develops, or we get someone else. 

Sign me up for Carr, who just outplayed Mahomes on the road in KC. Let him bring Ruggs with him.

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

The thought of Rivers “buying time” is hilarious. Have you seen him move in the pocket?  Guy couldn’t beat old Dan Marino in a foot race and is even more reluctant to navigate the pocket.

I won't call it hate? More like disappointed and mad. 

One thing I can take positive is the defense stepped up in the second half. They were put in a bad spot with the mistakes our offense put them in. But the adjustments Eberflus made at halftime was done correctly. 

Archived