Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long should River leash be? (merge)

How long should Rivers leash be?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Rivers leash be before Jacoby goes in?

• He is done Jacoby should start next week.
    • One more bad outing
    • Multiple more bad outings
    • He is the starter till the end
    • Other

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please don't make me watch Jacoby Brissett play again. I'd rather see Rivers throw 5 picks a game than fall asleep watching Brissett dink and dunk his way to an 8-8 record and an uneventful 16th overa

I wish he wasn’t here at all. 4 TDs in 5 games is awfulllll. He might be more immobile than Brady at this point in their career.    He can’t even throw the ball 30 yards with zip on it! I truly

Chad Kelly is better than Rivers  

10 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I agree with "Coltsman 1788", cut ties with Rivers after 2020 and start a new era with Eason....No need to waste another 25M on a QB that can't throw over 30 yds...

He appears to have thrown for "more than 30 yards" in this clip, and quite accurately with the required velocity. Even though the pass was dropped, IMO it could not have been thrown better.

no one wants rivers to be bad we are stuck with him until the off season .  i do not take joy in saying this , i wish he played better and took the colts to a superbowl .  I just am being brutally honest i do not see a way in which rivers takes the colts to a super bowl unless the defense keeps improving and has a run .  Its not all rivers fault of course not the line has been horrible in run blocking , and the wr havent helped at all . Along with the play  calling the offense looks terrible .  they cant put up 30 points of offense so far with the rules favoring the offenses its troubling .   lets see how rivers responds next week if he has a good game and keeps it up ill be in favor of sticking with him .

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Well then congrats on being the only person who watches football to not see diminished arm strength. Are you citing PFF on downfield accuracy?

"only" according to who, you lol.

And please explain how somebody can be top 10 in downfield accuracy yet not have an arm to throw it downfield in the first place?

Is his arm as strong as it was 10 years ago. No. Is he noodling everything, no. I get it, you don't like him. His stats this year show he's the same guy he's always been, just less attempts/game and the production drop off to match.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, with the combination of last year with Brissett, the injuries to key players this year, Rivers being a bad QB, and the way Frank Reich coaches, I'm more disinterested in this team now more than I have been in any time since I started watching the Colts in 1998.

Even in 2011, I had the possibility of getting Luck to keep me engaged in a bad sort of way when we had the horrible year record-wise.

I'm not even mad or disappointed anymore, I'm just disinterested. It's not fun anymore. Have a great GM, and anything and everything around him is bad or goes bad. Really a shame.

Heard through the rumor mill luck might be back next year. Don’t lose faith.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I don't want him 

It was smart that he retired 

He's a brilliant guy and made great decision for him 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i dont want luck back the way he quit on the team . i rather just see if eason is good , if not just keep going through the draft . luck is already gonna be 32 next year

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

"only" according to who, you lol.

And please explain how somebody can be top 10 in downfield accuracy yet not have an arm to throw it downfield in the first place?

Is his arm as strong as it was 10 years ago. No. Is he noodling everything, no. I get it, you don't like him. His stats this year show he's the same guy he's always been, just less attempts/game and the production drop off to match.

Go check out twitter bud, Keefer, Kravitz, Cowherd, every media personality that covers NFL saying the dude is cooked. I’m sure you know better than all of us though because a site you pay to view says he completes passes down the field. Completely ignoring he only throws down the field when the receiver is completely open.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I don't want him 

It was smart that he retired 

He's a brilliant guy and made great decision for him 

You like Rivers though?

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I replied till end of the season BECAUSE Brissett is the backup.

but is jacoby worse then rivers now ?    look up the stats through 5 games last year to this year jacoby had 14 touchdowns to 3 picks before he got hurt rivers is 4 touchdowns to 5 picks .   jacoby can move and has a bigger arm and will be better this year. i wouldnt mind going to him if rivers fails

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i dont want luck back the way he quit on the team . i rather just see if eason is good , if not just keep going through the draft . luck is already gonna be 32 next year

Eason won’t be an NFL starting QB, I’ll assure you of that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Go check out twitter bud, Keefer, Kravitz, Cowherd, every media personality that covers NFL saying the dude is cooked. I’m sure you know better than all of us though because a site you pay to view says he completes passes down the field. Completely ignoring he only throws down the field when the receiver is completely open.

You like Rivers though?

I'll support whoever we put out there but its not gonna change my mood

24 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i do not believe in letting a head coach call plays anyway .  with reich being in the offensive meetings and ignoring the defense makes no sense .   Let your coaches call the plays and be a head coach .

Honestly, wasn't overly impressed with the either OC, or HC hires. Neither coordinator had previous coordinator experience, nor did they have exceptional track records. Not bad at all, just nothing great. Reich was passed over by a lot of teams before we hired him. Again, love him as a guy, just not impressed with his play calling in LAC, nor here. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

then draft one next year . luck is not coming back .  i would rather just try and start eason .  if he fails go to the draft

I'm about to give you some great advice and I want you to take as nicely as possible. 

I get it! You are upset! We all are but getting this bent out of shape over a loss isn't worth it. 

I gave this same speech to @Jared Cisneros after the Jaguars game but I will again. 

Growing up my uncle use to tell me all the time a motto he lives by:

Let Go Let God

Games are won and lost every year but don't let it completely ruin your day. 

• Like 1

I hope we tank out but we’re out of position to draft a difference maker now.

we only one 3 games  so far we could still be a top ten team and trade up. so many people just wanna win now but that is not how it really works .  if we just won now in 2011 no luck .  i rather go a year with a bad record to have 15 years of a franchise QB

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

we only one 3 games  so far we could still be a top ten team and trade up. so many people just wanna win now but that is not how it really works .  if we just won now in 2011 no luck .  i rather go a year with a bad record to have 15 years of a franchise QB

There's no guarantees in draft 

22 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

yea but brady is playing good if you count the season so far .  rivers has yet to throw a multiple touchdown game or throw more then 1 touchdown in a game .   If brady had thrown 5 picks so far with 4 touchdowns averaging 220 a game the media would be killing him .   If it was one bad game no big deal , but to have 5 bad games in a row .   that is a problem i dont see how you can spin it any other way .   numbers wise he is bottom five in touchdowns yards and picks .   the only thing good is completion percentage but the picks overtake the good out of that .  in this league you have to be able to throw the ball  .  AT least in the first 5 games last year jacoby had 2, 300 yard games and 14 touchdowns to 3 picks .  rivers is 4 touchdowns to 5 picks he is on pace to put up worse stats then last year when he threw 23 touchdowns to 20 picks .  he might throw 15 touch downs to 20 picks with 3 thousand yards passing

16 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Hahahahaha dropping dimes against a) the worst team of maybe the last decade and b) he barely had 200 yards against both squads.

Philip Rivers was signed due to his familiarity with the Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator, and the offense that they like to run. He was also brought in to provide experienced veteran leadership, and win games. He was not  signed with the expectation that he would put up gawdy statistics, but if padding his own personal stats were the goal he certainly could have, especially against the Vikings & Jets. He could've kept slinging it around and likely would've thrown for more yards & probably a few more TDs, but that also would've given both those team the opportunity to capitalize on a mistake or 2, and possibly get back into the game.

If acquiring more points or yards against these defeated teams was the objective, they were definitely there for the taking:  lest we forget, the Vikings game ended with Rivers kneeling at the Minnesota 20 yard line, and the Jets game concluded with Philip & other starters resting for half of the 4th Quarter, and Jacoby Brissett kneeling at the Jets' 30.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

Philip Rivers was signed due to his familiarity with the Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator, and the offense that they like to run. He was also brought in to provide experienced veteran leadership, and win games. He was not  signed with the expectation that he would put up gawdy statistics, but if padding his own personal stats were the goal he certainly could have, especially against the Vikings & Jets. He could've kept slinging it around and likely would've thrown for more yards & probably a few more TDs, but that also would've given both those team the opportunity to capitalize on a mistake or 2, and possibly get back into the game.

If acquiring more points or yards against these defeated teams was the objective, they were definitely there for the taking:  lest we forget, the Vikings game ended with Rivers kneeling at the Minnesota 20 yard line, and the Jets game concluded with Philip & other starters resting for half of the 4th Quarter, and Jacoby Brissett kneeling at the Jets' 30.

So he didn’t carve up two teams with a combined one win? Why is it so hard for you to just admit the dude is cooked and a shell of his former self.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I'm about to give you some great advice and I want you to take as nicely as possible. 

I get it! You are upset! We all are but getting this bent out of shape over a loss isn't worth it. 

I gave this same speech to @Jared Cisneros after the Jaguars game but I will again. 

Growing up my uncle use to tell me all the time a motto he lives by:

Let Go Let God

Games are won and lost every year but don't let it completely ruin your day. 

it really not bothering me that we lost . i never had faith in rivers and was against signing him .  i used to during the manning years i learned after this bad decade of football we only made the playoffs once in the last 5 years .  I am more bent out of shape that this team is trying to be in a win now mode with a young roster then needs time . i just wanna see the colts play the young players and let them get some time in and grow .   thats my gripe not rivers personally i wanna see the colts develop the young players so in a couple years we can be a super bowl team .      I really dont lose interest when the colts lose like some . i watched every game in 2011 .  i can watch the team when losing and still watch any nfl game .  my passion is football in general not just the colts .  i am a person who looks a the big picture not just one season or one game .  i want whats best for the future of the team and that is to play the young guys .  

• Like 1

the season does get more exciting to watch when you have  a young franchise QB .  Thats why i am for always playing the young QB over the vetern for the chance they can be great.   we know what rivers is already but we could have a future hall of famer sitting on the bench that is what intrigues me .  Its the same reason i wanted kelly to stay .  i am all for big risk big reward . playing it safe is for bad teams .  when i see teams starting tyrod taylor or  fitzpatrick over top ten draft picks it drives me crazy .

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it really not bothering me that we lost . i never had faith in rivers and was against signing him .  i used to during the manning years i learned after this bad decade of football we only made the playoffs once in the last 5 years .  I am more bent out of shape that this team is trying to be in a win now mode with a young roster then needs time . i just wanna see the colts play the young players and let them get some time in and grow .   thats my gripe not rivers personally i wanna see the colts develop the young players so in a couple years we can be a super bowl team .      I really dont lose interest when the colts lose like some . i watched every game in 2011 .  i can watch the team when losing and still watch any nfl game .  my passion is football in general not just the colts .  i am a person who looks a the big picture not just one season or one game .  i want whats best for the future of the team and that is to play the young guys .  

Well all the Colts points were scored by rookies today, Taylor, Rodgers, and hot rod.

Just now, coming on strong said:

the season does get more exciting to watch when you have  a young franchise QB .  Thats why i am for always playing the young QB over the vetern for the chance they can be great.   we know what rivers is already but we could have a future hall of famer sitting on the bench that is what intrigues me .  Its the same reason i wanted kelly to stay .  i am all for big risk big reward . playing it safe is for bad teams .  when i see teams starting tyrod taylor or  fitzpatrick over top ten draft picks it drives me crazy .

Jacoby will start next week lmao , just joking.

• Haha 1
Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well all the Colts points were scored by rookies today, Taylor, Rodgers, and hot rod.

that is great. i would take it a step further start rodgers over rhodes , start eason over rivers .  I would even love to see patmon on the field over ty . i just want the team to grow for the future we are not in a win now mode .  lets get rid of the old players next year and keep rebuilding we are 2 full years away from being great.

Just now, coming on strong said:

that is great. i would take it a step further start rodgers over rhodes , start eason over rivers .  I would even love to see patmon on the field over ty . i just want the team to grow for the future we are not in a win now mode .  lets get rid of the old players next year and keep rebuilding we are 2 full years away from being great.

I’ll keep saying if Rivers is going to keep making rookie mistakes you might as well play the rookie 

• Like 2
Just now, Grigson's Gaffes said:

So he didn’t carve up two teams with a combined one win? Why is it so hard for you to just admit the dude is cooked and a shell of his former self.

I'd admit that if I believed it, but I don't. When we win but Philip puts up pedestrian stats, some people complain about that, and chalk the victory solely up to our defense, or having just beaten up on a weak team. When we lose, it's all on our QB but I sense a reluctance to credit him when we win.  It doesn't matter to me if Rivers doesn't throw a single touchdown pass, but leads drives that conclude in rushing TDs or field goals and we win. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I'd admit that if I believed it, but I don't. When we win but Philip puts up pedestrian stats, some people complain about that, and chalk the victory solely up to our defense, or having just beaten up on a weak team. When we lose, it's all on our QB but I sense a reluctance to credit him when we win.  It doesn't matter to me if Rivers doesn't throw a single touchdown pass, but leads drives that conclude in rushing TDs or field goals and we win. 

You'll take a win if it's a win no matter what. Name one game this year that we won because of Rivers. I'll wait.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Phillip Rivers gets this season.   Unless he gets hurt.    Otherwise.....

The biggest problems we have are elsewhere...    an under-achieving O-line and now a lack of weapons.   We lost to a good team, there’s no shame here. 

But it’s a long season...   a little patience and confidence would help around here....  

I agree with the lack of weapons but rivers is one of the biggest problems.  Generally he plays well but his mistakes are too costly to overcome.  It's a tough situation to be in. 

28 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Eason won’t be an NFL starting QB, I’ll assure you of that.

Why?  We heard that Eason looked great in camp, and the beat reporters were marveling at his arm strength.  Many people liked him more than Herbert in the draft. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

He isn’t mistake free but the best we have.  Not even a question. 

we have a playoff caliber d.  Can’t waste it on a rookie and jb isn’t going to get it done 

I would’ve agreed with you until today’s game.  I think that Rivers may well be spent and we’d be a better team with Brissett under center.

But I wouldn’t vote to ditch him now.  He needs to come out and perform better next game.  If he continues to play this poorly, then Frank needs to cut bait and not wait until it’s too late to salvage the season.

32 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I have no idea what Cowherd says, nor do I care. He's one of, if not the worst, sports guy out there. He's all shock, no xxxxx.

Keefer called him reckless (which I agree with), not noodle armed. I don't recall Kravitz ever saying that either. And if you want to talk about washed up, Kravitz's pic is in the dictionary lol. 

Only throws downfield when completely open? You're really showing your lack of knowledge. You're a hot take king. Watch some film. I've included a vid breakdown of RIvers last week throwing a dime long to Pascal while Pascal is in tight coverage, even before he makes his cut. Enjoy.

BTW, I don't pay. Plenty out there for free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, KB said:

You'll take a win if it's a win no matter what. Name one game this year that we won because of Rivers. I'll wait.

Two can play that game: name one game this year that we lost solely because of him. He's made mistakes in both our losses, but so did other players in both of them and if a few plays had gone the other way, we could've won both those games even with Philip's miscues.

9 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Why?  We heard that Eason looked great in camp, and the beat reporters were marveling at his arm strength.  Many people liked him more than Herbert in the draft. 

Maybe the blog boys at bleacher report, there isn’t a talent evaluator in the NFL who did, as evidenced by one going 6th and the other in the 4th round.

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Two can play that game: name one game this year that we lost solely because of him. He's made mistakes in both our losses, but so did other players in both of them and if a few plays had gone the other way, we could've won both those games even with Philip's miscues.

Today. He gave up 9 points. We lost by 9 points. If the plays he messed up had gone the other way then yes we could of won, but if the other plays went our way then we still probably would of lost. Those inerceptions and safety were the deciding factor.

I wasn't excited about the acquisition, but was hopeful. He ended up being the total opposite of Brissett. Willing to go for the big play but not being safe with the ball.

37 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

You like Rivers though?

My goodness. We have a famous sports reporter in our midst. As you can see he is including himself with these sports reporters as one of the brilliant minds of the game. 

He has stated under no uncertain terms that Eason will never be a starting QB in the league so Ballard listen carefully.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I have no idea what Cowherd says, nor do I care. He's one of, if not the worst, sports guy out there. He's all shock, no xxxxx.

Keefer called him reckless (which I agree with), not noodle armed. I don't recall Kravitz ever saying that either. And if you want to talk about washed up, Kravitz's pic is in the dictionary lol. 

Only throws downfield when completely open? You're really showing your lack of knowledge. You're a hot take king. Watch some film. I've included a vid breakdown of RIvers last week throwing a dime long to Pascal while Pascal is in tight coverage, even before he makes his cut. Enjoy.

BTW, I don't pay. Plenty out there for free. 

Rivers made one good throw, he isn’t washed! It was cold in Antarctica today, so global warming isn’t real. Lay off the personal insults. If you think I don’t watch football or I’m ignorant to the game because I don’t agree with you and the minority, that says more about you than me.

go watch rivers post press video .  tell me this man is a leader , he blames every one but himself . then gets a attitude with the media saying that is the answer you will get like a little kid.    he is not a leader , he picks fights with the other team all the time even when his play is bad .   his attitude is why i did not wanna sign him .  we need a leader i would take brady over him.  go watch brady after a loss then go watch rivers new post video that just came out .

5 minutes ago, KB said:

Today. He gave up 9 points. We lost by 9 points 

Yes but the defense gave up 23.  They don’t do that and Rivers 9 points don’t matter.  That’s his point there is blame to go around and while Rivers 100% deserves his share he’s not solely to blame.  

With that said the point that he hasn’t put the team on his back and carried them to a win is also very true.  Honestly I think the Colts would have the same record right now if they had just stuck with Jacoby.

1 minute ago, KB said:

Today. He gave up 9 points. We lost by 9 points 

So he's the reason we were backed up against our end zone, resulting in the safety? I don't think so! And if whomever he was throwing to had cut out like he expected instead of ibn, it really wouldn't have mattered that we were way back there because even if that pass wasn't caught, it wouldn't have been a grounding penalty.

• Nadine changed the title to How long should River leash be? (merge)