Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long should River leash be? (merge)

Nesjan3

How long should Rivers leash be?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How long should Rivers leash be before Jacoby goes in?

• He is done Jacoby should start next week.
    • One more bad outing
    • Multiple more bad outings
    • He is the starter till the end
    • Other

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ugh.  Posts like this...

You and @Grigson's Gaffes should start a club...

I hope the Colts win out just for the simple fact that I won't have to see anymore "I was right!" posts from you two after a loss...  it's the most obnoxious thing a person can do on a forum like this.  :facepalm:

@Rackeen305 and I...the founding members of the “Truth Tellers Club”.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This is why we need Eason to be given a chance. Having to get both of those is almost impossible. Especially if we have to give up a lot for a QB. 

Agree with this 100%. Good post. Only other alternatives for a decent price would be to trade for Haskins or Darnold at the deadline and try to get rid of Rivers as well. Something like Rivers and a 4th for Darnold/Haskins and we pay Rivers entire salary this year.

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm not trying to prove anything.

I just gave my opinion that I wish we had Claypool instead of Pittman.

You threw out the hypothetical that Claypool would probably be injured if he was a Colt...

You would have a legitamate argument if Pittman hadn’t got injured. But right now you can’t even compare the two.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

You would have a legitamate argument if Pittman hadn’t got injured. But right now you can’t even compare the two.

It's not an argument.  It's an OPINION.

Regardless of injury, I think Claypool is a better athlete.  And I'm a Notre Dame fan, so of course I would prefer a ND player over a USC player.  haha

Stop quoting me about it.  Geez.

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Brissett threw 4 td 3 int last 9 games in 19 but some of you want Brissett back in 

I never said I wanted Brissett back. My point is, Rivers isn't doing anything that Brissett hasn't done to this point. All the upgrade to the position talk is bologna. I never understood bringing him in to begin with. $25 Mil for this? A good amount of money tied into to QBs who are both lackluster

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agree with this 100%. Good post. Only other alternatives for a decent price would be to trade for Haskins or Darnold at the deadline and try to get rid of Rivers as well. Something like Rivers and a 4th for Darnold/Haskins and we pay Rivers entire salary this year.

Ok Jared with all respect. Come on. Haskins? I have read some of the stuff you have posted or written in past and most times I'm okay with it. You have your opinions. Haskins is trash. Haskins will never be anything more than backup material if at all. Dude, have you watched this guy play? Jets won't give up on Darnold. Darnold is actually pretty good, he's on a bad team with an even worse coach

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You are right that you can't technically compare the two because of injury, but if you look at at Claypool's game yesterday (110 yards and 4 total tds), then you'd notice that Pittman would have to do a TON to catch up to Claypool at this point. Right now, Claypool is balling and looks like he has figured the NFL out. Pittman is to be determined, but he was getting around 30 yards a game when he got hurt and I believe he hasn't scored a td yet.

There's a gap between them with the sample sizes, and even if Pittman played, that would of been a big gap to overcome. Hopefully Pittman shows us something when he comes back after the bye week. As of now, Claypool looks like a monster on the field though.

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok Jared with all respect. Come on. Haskins? I have read some of the stuff you have posted or written in past and most times I'm okay with it. You have your opinions. Haskins is trash. Haskins will never be anything more than backup material if at all. Dude, have you watched this guy play? Jets won't give up on Darnold. Darnold is actually pretty good, he's on a bad team with an even worse coach

As far as Haskins goes, he's just a lottery ticket that I'd be willing to have compete with Eason next year. If I traded Rivers and a 4th for Haskins, I'd start Brissett, then have Eason and Haskins fight for the backup spot in practice for now. It would be worth it to get rid of Rivers to me and get something in return.

With Darnold, the Jets said they would trade him if they had a top 3 pick. So at the trade deadline, if they are winless, I'm guessing that would be enough for them to trade Darnold and just tank it out for Lawrence. My Aunt is a Jets fan, I know Darnold is a good QB with a horrible coach. That's why I would buy him at the deadline and make him our starter for the 2nd half of the year.

These are just ideas to help fix the QB position and give us options. Obviously they are limited and our new QB has a good chance of coming from the draft.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as Haskins goes, he's just a lottery ticket that I'd be willing to have compete with Eason next year. If I traded Rivers and a 4th for Haskins, I'd start Brissett, then have Eason and Haskins fight for the backup spot in practice for now. It would be worth it to get rid of Rivers to me and get something in return.

With Darnold, the Jets said they would trade him if they had a top 3 pick. So at the trade deadline, if they are winless, I'm guessing that would be enough for them to trade Darnold and just tank it out for Lawrence. My Aunt is a Jets fan, I know Darnold is a good QB with a horrible coach. That's why I would buy him at the deadline and make him our starter for the 2nd half of the year.

These are just ideas to help fix the QB position and give us options. Obviously they are limited and our new QB has a good chance of coming from the draft.

U want Haskins?  I suggest u do some research. He has zero anticipation. He is badically Brissett without the great intangibles.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is why we need Eason to be given a chance. Having to get both of those is almost impossible. Especially if we have to give up a lot for a QB. 

its not going to happen barring injury. Just like Kelly rode the pine all last year, so will Eason.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as Haskins goes, he's just a lottery ticket that I'd be willing to have compete with Eason next year. If I traded Rivers and a 4th for Haskins,

Aint no way I'm giving a 4th for Haskins, let alone throwing in Rivers.

14 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's not an argument.  It's an OPINION.

Regardless of injury, I think Claypool is a better athlete.  And I'm a Notre Dame fan, so of course I would prefer a ND player over a USC player.  haha

Stop quoting me about it.  Geez.

Yes, Claypool looks legit.  However, it makes no sense to go back and revisit the draft. A lot of teams passed on Claypool

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U want Haskins?  I suggest u do some research. He has zero anticipation. He is badically Brissett without the great intangibles.

At this point, I just want something for Rivers. Haskins is a lottery ticket with some potential. Even if he ends up the backup for us, it'd be worth it at his age. Again, just trying to create options for the QB position without spending high draft capital.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are right that you can't technically compare the two because of injury, but if you look at at Claypool's game yesterday (110 yards and 4 total tds), then you'd notice that Pittman would have to do a TON to catch up to Claypool at this point. Right now, Claypool is balling and looks like he has figured the NFL out. Pittman is to be determined, but he was getting around 30 yards a game when he got hurt and I believe he hasn't scored a td yet.

There's a gap between them with the sample sizes, and even if Pittman played, that would of been a big gap to overcome. Hopefully Pittman shows us something when he comes back after the bye week. As of now, Claypool looks like a monster on the field though.

Did you see how open Claypool was. The eagles defense is bad. Let’s also realize Ben still looks like he has a lot in the tank while Rivers looks old. Ballard is going to have to realize this teams issues the last two years all falls on not having a QB. He is going to have to realize that if Eason isn’t it then we need to draft one. This team also needs a LT for the future. We are in a works of hurt right now. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All that is fine. The reality is that this is a mess. I don't see the Colts doing anything about the QB this season. Next year, Rivers will be gone and so will Brissett. Eason and Kelly will be the only 2 the Colts will have under contract. I can tell you that Eason is not the answer. I already know it. Call it a gut instinct. What i really hope is that finally Kelly will get a true shot to compete. We all would be pleasantly surprised.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point, I just want something for Rivers. Haskins is a lottery ticket with some potential. Even if he ends up the backup for us, it'd be worth it at his age. Again, just trying to create options for the QB position without spending high draft capital.

We aren’t trading rivers. He will either finish on a high note or be riding the bench. He will retire after this season if things don’t change. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did you see how open Claypool was. The eagles defense is bad. Let’s also realize Ben still looks like he has a lot in the tank while Rivers looks old. Ballard is going to have to realize this teams issues the last two years all falls on not having a QB. He is going to have to realize that if Eason isn’t it then we need to draft one. This team also needs a LT for the future. We are in a works of hurt right now. 

Maybe so, but give Claypool credit for his performance. That was amazing for a rookie in his 4th game (they didn't play the Titans due to the Corona). I didn't see anyone else burn them like that. Claypool is going to be a stud.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Fromm didn't really regress. He never was more than a game manager. He was a safe pick to be a game manager with UGA's good 
D, and good running game. UGA is now changing their O style to be more dynamic in the passing game. 

I like Fromm as a player.  Very cerebral QB and very accurate, not a big arm.  I would liken him to Drew Brees in height and arm strength.  His best fit in the NFL is the WCO.

Eason is a nice player.  Rocket arm but he's not very mobile and not as accurate in the short to intermediate passes.  But he can throw it 60 yards down field into a tight window.

I watched both alot when they played at UGA.

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

All that is fine. The reality is that this is a mess. I don't see the Colts doing anything about the QB this season. Next year, Rivers will be gone and so will Brissett. Eason and Kelly will be the only 2 the Colts will have under contract. I can tell you that Eason is not the answer. I already know it. Call it a gut instinct. What i really hope is that finally Kelly will get a true shot to compete. We all would be pleasantly surprised.

Didn't Kelly get cut? Or did he get re-signed?

I think we should be preparing for our next QB. I doubt Rivers stays past this year. It's easy to bash Rivers for that performance and those throws ... but... I would just say that even though I think he's been better than that performance yesterday, IMO he's not giving us good enough baseline to have any serious ambitions for deep playoff run. We might sneak into the playoffs but ultimately, high end QB play is likely to be needed in order to advance once we are there and at his current state, it's very possible that Rivers is just... way past that part of his career. 

He will have better games than that one yesterday, but we shouldn't be fooled by that. Ballard and Reich need to be seeking our next QB or preparing him for next year if they think Eason is that guy. I doubt we sit Rivers and quite honestly I'm not too eager to sit him either unless Eason is ready to play and execute that offense but I kind of doubt that. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We aren’t trading rivers. He will either finish on a high note or be riding the bench. He will retire after this season if things don’t change. 

That's the issue. I'd have a ton of respect if Ballard and Reich cut their losses with Rivers. Get Haskins with him, or even a day 3 pick while paying his salary. Just show some humility and admit your mistakes. Don't do the same thing you did with Brissett last year and tank another season because you don't want to be wrong on a QB you signed to a big deal.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think we should be preparing for our next QB. I doubt Rivers stays past this year. It's easy to bash Rivers for that performance and those throws ... but... I would just say that even though I think he's been better than that performance yesterday, IMO he's not giving us good enough baseline to have any serious ambitions for deep playoff run. We might sneak into the playoffs but ultimately, high end QB play is likely to be needed in order to advance once we are there and at his current state, it's very possible that Rivers is just... way past that part of his career. 

He will have better games than that one yesterday, but we shouldn't be fooled by that. Ballard and Reich need to be seeking our next QB or preparing him for next year if they think Eason is that guy. I doubt we sit Rivers and quite honestly I'm not too eager to sit him either unless Eason is ready to play and execute that offense but I kind of doubt that. 

I think we need to play Eason so we know what we have before the draft. Let’s get a idea of what he can do. We may have to take a little bit of a lump doing it but we need to know before the draft. Need to quit plugging the QB hole. It’s time to find the future.

25 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Jets won't give up on Darnold. Darnold is actually pretty good, he's on a bad team with an even worse coach

jets are going to get a high pick, whoever the next coach is wont be tied to SD.  they could draft trevor and shop sam for picks 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

jets are going to get a high pick, whoever the next coach is wont be tied to SD.  they could draft trevor and shop sam for picks 

Adam Schefter said in a tweet that the Jets are "unlikely to get a 1st rounder in a trade for Darnold". So the most he'll probably get is a 2nd IMO. Which I still might do if it's a mid/late 2nd we trade for him.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

if jets have luxury of number 1 overall, they will keep Darnold and sell for picks if they are smart. They need positions all over, one not being QB

Just now, Indeee said:

if jets have luxury of number 1 overall, they will keep Darnold and sell for picks if they are smart. They need positions all over, one not being QB

not what i would do.  i say take TL and build around him, might take some time

makes me wonder what teams would be willing to give up for TL though, there are not a whole lot of teams desperate for qbs right now 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just checked the team page. I was right, he did get cut, and they didn't re-sign him.

what? so now he isn't even on practice squad? I knew he was released but at that time roto said he was signed to practice squad. when was he released from practice squad?

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

what? so now he isn't even on practice squad? I knew he was released but at that time roto said he was signed to practice squad. when was he released from practice squad?

I believe over a week ago. There was a thread on the forum that said "uh oh, Chad Kelly got cut". Not sure where it is now, but you should be able to search for it.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think we need to play Eason so we know what we have before the draft. Let’s get a idea of what he can do. We may have to take a little bit of a lump doing it but we need to know before the draft. Need to quit plugging the QB hole. It’s time to find the future.

It's not that easy. He needs to be ready to lead an NFL offense before you put him out there. What's the point of putting him in if he's not capable of executing the offense yet? It's not a good idea to put a player in who's not ready for that role. You are setting him up for failure. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not that easy. He needs to be ready to lead an NFL offense before you put him out there. What's the point of putting him in if he's not capable of executing the offense yet? It's not a good idea to put a player in who's not ready for that role. You are setting him up for failure. 

It’s kind of important we have some idea before the draft. Especially when we also need to draft a left tackle. We don’t know what we have until he actually plays.  You can always go back to Brissett or Rivers.  But it’s kind of important to find out. We need to start getting serious about finding the future.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's the issue. I'd have a ton of respect if Ballard and Reich cut their losses with Rivers. Get Haskins with him, or even a day 3 pick while paying his salary. Just show some humility and admit your mistakes. Don't do the same thing you did with Brissett last year and tank another season because you don't want to be wrong on a QB you signed to a big deal.

I don't think Rivers would accept a trade - if it came to that, he'd probably just retire and get on with coaching the high school team that has preemptively hired him. He wants to play, but likely only here and I can't see him going anywhere else except Alabama. 

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s kind of important we have some idea before the draft. Especially when we also need to draft a left tackle. We don’t know what we have until he actually plays.  You can always go back to Brissett or Rivers.  But it’s kind of important to find out. We need to start getting serious about finding the future.

If he's not ready to play how do you expect him to play well? If he's not ready you won't learn anything useful about him besides what you already know... that he's not ready... I seriously have no idea how else to explain it. Making a player do things he's not ready for or can't do is not only going to make him fail in the immediate, it might ruin him for the future and it might cost you with other players on the roster too. 

Coaches generally know where a player is by watching him in practice. Game is not the only way to make an evaluation of where a player is. There are practices, there are film sessions, etc. 

If he's not ready by the end of the year I personally would just go on and draft a QB high(or make a bid on someone like Dak...). If he's ready by the end of the year, let him in whenever he's ready. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

If he's not ready to play how do you expect him to play well? If he's not ready you won't learn anything useful about him besides what you already know... that he's not ready... I seriously have no idea how else to explain it. Making a player do things he's not ready for or can't do is not only going to make him fail in the immediate, it might ruin him for the future and it might cost you with other players on the roster too. 

Coaches generally know where a player is by watching him in practice. Game is not the only way to make an evaluation of where a player is. There are practices, there are film sessions, etc. 

If he's not ready by the end of the year I personally would just go on and draft a QB high(or make a bid on someone like Dak...). If he's ready by the end of the year, let him in whenever he's ready. 

Your missing my point. We won’t know if he is ready until he plays. Not seeing he needs to play now but if we don’t win both of these next two games he needs to be given a chance.

Archived