Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[J. T. O'Sullivan] Third and Philip (film session of Philip Rivers' 3d down throws vs the Bears)

stitches

• stitches changed the title to [J. T. O'Sullivan] Third and Philip (film session of Philip Rivers' 3d down throws vs the Bears)

I also was amazed at that TD play for MAC but I felt that the Hines running down the middle really held our options and efficiency back during different instances.

That is why I felt that the scheme has just as much helped with the WR separation as the WRs themselves when EastStreet pointed out we had good separation overall. Philip is the right man to get the job done. Brissett would not throw in anticipation of a break, and there in lies the huge difference in critical moments, IMO. 

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

I also was amazed at that TD play for MAC but I felt that the Hines running down the middle really held our options and efficiency back during different instances.

That is why I felt that the scheme has just as much helped with the WR separation as the WRs themselves when EastStreet pointed out we had good separation overall. Philip is the right man to get the job done. Brissett would not throw in anticipation of a break, and there in lies the huge difference in critical moments, IMO. 

I really wish more folks would check these out. When guys complain about lack of separation, I think they're either 1) just being anecdotal because we've lost some WRs and want to complain, or 2) just not watching the game lol.... 

1. That pass to, and route run by Pascal was elite. JB isn't near that advanced. And it's why a guy with mediocre measurables like Pascal is having success. I love how they stressed the lookback. Perfect timing and placement with 2 guys coming over to help.

2. That pass to Mo is also a great example. People look at the rubs across the middle, and say "hey, those guys aren't open". They're not suppose to be. They're more or less running only to clear out for another guy who is the 1st or 2nd read. Great hands by Mo on that one too, snatching it out of the air quickly when Rivers put it out in front of him. That's throwing the guy open. 

3. The third shot to Doyle, was like a mini/short sail route that they used to get Mo open farther down the field two games ago. I wish we ran more RPO like that, because it's easy pitch and catch if the clear out (wide pass catcher) is taking the coverage.

4. The 4th play they broke down was the same as #2, just Rivers hit the wheel instead of the cross. Rivers totally destroyed the D there with the shifts, and took 59 totally out of the play. Wilkins was totally unchecked. I think they were looking for Rivers to go to the outside right, or check to run for whatever reason, but totally exploited the D the other way. That was 100% Rivers.

This is why I say we don't need to force things to TY. Rivers hit 4 different guys, and all were open. Of course having TY playing well, or Campbell or Pittman playing in general, would make things better, but we're very capable of throwing to the guys we have.

Archived