Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Covid Problem ? a real concern if we can complete this season.


Recommended Posts

The  NBA found a solution in completing  their season that should have been over before this summer, They had the idea of the bubble in Florida to isolate.  The baseball league shorten their season and are now trying to get pass the playoffs to the worlds series to give the fans a closer for this season.  Now for NFL fans what are we going to do to get closer to complete this season? give me input . The other pro sports have came up with a solution. what is ours? The longer the season  goes the more we have got to address this situation.  At what point do we create a bubble? The more teams that come up with Covid exposer  the more we need to think about  how we want this season to progress, if we want a final team to be a super Bowl champion for this year.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes no difference what we think should happen. Would be a lot of wasted brain power to try to figure out the logistics. It'd be tough bubble this many players. Much more difficult than the nba. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

would be a lot tougher to put the entire nfl in one place like they did with the nba

 

also a lot more logistics into prepping football fields than basketball courts 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

It makes no difference what we think should happen. Would be a lot of wasted brain power to try to figure out the logistics. It'd be tough bubble this many players. Much more difficult than the nba. 

you are right we can't duplicate the other 'pro sports  solutions 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure to follow protocol so if someone gets the virus games arent forfeited for any postponed games like Tennessee is now facing (If they cant play this week because of violation they could likely fall to 3-2 with possible more ff losses coming).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever teams make it to december without having any covid instances make the playoffs regardless of their record.  They bubble those teams in arizona and play all the playoff games there.  

 

The other teams have get their draft pick based on how many positive covid players they have regardless of record. 

 lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine changed the title to Covid Problem ? a real concern if we can complete this season.
5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I believe a shortened season needs to happen 

 

12 games 

 

Hopefully we can take the following games off schedule if that's the case.

 

Packers

Ravens

Steelers

Lions

 

We know for sure we would have 7 division games left after this week.

 

So that would only leave 1 more non divisional team to play. Which Im sure would be Bengals next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hopefully we can take the following games off schedule if that's the case.

 

Packers

Ravens

Steelers

Lions

 

We know for sure we would have 7 division games left after this week.

 

So that would only leave 1 more non divisional team to play. Which Im sure would be Bengals next week.

I actually hope we play Packers Ravens and Steelers 

 

I don't want a cake walk to the playoffs 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I actually hope we play Packers Ravens and Steelers 

 

I don't want a cake walk to the playoffs 

We would definitely have one of the easiest routes for sure.

 

If it is dropped to 12 games, Im pretty sure those are the teams we wouldnt play though.

 

With Browns this week amd Bengals next week.

 

I would like to be tested to though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 4:34 PM, w87r said:

Hopefully we can take the following games off schedule if that's the case.

 

Packers

Ravens

Steelers

Lions

 

We know for sure we would have 7 division games left after this week.

 

So that would only leave 1 more non divisional team to play. Which Im sure would be Bengals next week.

Just wanted to call myself out.

 

Don't know what I was thinking talking about 7 more divisional games. We only play 6 a year.

 

So we only have 5 divisional games left.

 

Raiders is the other opponent I didnt list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well....   it’s a very good suggestion to shorten the season, and if we get lucky, we MIGHT get in 12 games.   Might.

 

But, I’d also suggest all 32 teams should be inside their own hotels.  32 teams, 32 different hotels.   Take over the whole place for the duration.   Players, coaches,  front office, administrators,  you name it.    Everyone.  No other people allowed in the hotel other than the hotel staff itself.    It would be a HUGE imposition on family life.   Being away from your spouse AND children for all that time!   But the NBA has done it, so it can be done.

 

And remember this....   Covid is only going to get worse as we go.  November, December and January could become nightmarish for the league.    
 

Hope for the best, but expect the worst. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   it’s a very good suggestion to shorten the season, and if we get lucky, we MIGHT get in 12 games.   Might.

 

But, I’d also suggest all 32 teams should be inside their own hotels.  32 teams, 32 different hotels.   Take over the whole place for the duration.   Players, coaches,  front office, administrators,  you name it.    Everyone.  No other people allowed in the hotel other than the hotel staff itself.    It would be a HUGE imposition on family life.   Being away from your spouse AND children for all that time!   But the NBA has done it, so it can be done.

 

And remember this....   Covid is only going to get worse as we go.  November, December and January could become nightmarish for the league.    
 

Hope for the best, but expect the worst. 

What are the odds of a player getting infected and dying? 1 in a million? Less...? If something like that happened that would be nightmarish... Yet players have died playing this game before the pandemic and likely will after. If I played I would have a similar mentality as Kirk Cousins. I know how this forum views this whole subject but we are talking about athletes getting paid millions to play an inherently dangerous game.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the Titans, who have not only been negligent, but downright incompetent, I think the various NFL teams have done a tremendous job with their protocols thus far.

 

While a bubble would be even better, I think it's hard to argue that the players aren't getting better care than they would be if they weren't participating in the season.  The players are getting exponentially more testing than they would be otherwise, and they have enormous incentives to engage in safe, healthy behavior. 

 

So far, across both college and the NFL, I am not aware of a single case of transmission on the field between opponents.  Recently, ND football had a huge outbreak after playing USF.  A Notre Dame player who was infected (but tested negative before the game) played in the game, and there was still no team-to-team transmission. 

 

How did the outbreak occur within ND?  Indoor dining - someone that is the leading cause of transmission in the non-football world. 

 

In the absence of the bubble, frequent testing, isolating positive cases early, and thorough contact tracing are effective tools.  Other sports leagues have proven this: the MLB is one of those leagues.  And another sports league with logistical challenges and personnel numbers that rival the NFL is Formula 1.  And F1 has been successful as well, despite traveling all over the world. 

 

In terms of actually implementing a bubble, it's very difficult to compare the NFL to the NBA.  The physicality of the NFL requires that games be spaced out.  Teams would be living in hotels until February.  That's a long, long time. 

 

Not to mention, with no centralized location to play the games, a true bubble would not longer exist because of the travel component. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, life long said:

What are the odds of a player getting infected and dying? 1 in a million? Less...? If something like that happened that would be nightmarish... Yet players have died playing this game before the pandemic and likely will after. If I played I would have a similar mentality as Kirk Cousins. I know how this forum views this whole subject but we are talking about athletes getting paid millions to play an inherently dangerous game.

Wow...  

 

One of the saddest posts in my 8 years on this website.   Players should play so you can be entertained.   
 

How easy you decide to play God with other people’s lives...

 

Sorry I can’t say more, but there are limits as to what can be said here.  Perhaps that’s for the best....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that the NFL and the players come to a decision that protects everyone.

It would be disappointing to have less football but, they have tried.

If it's not doable then, that's that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, life long said:

What are the odds of a player getting infected and dying? 1 in a million? Less...? If something like that happened that would be nightmarish... Yet players have died playing this game before the pandemic and likely will after. If I played I would have a similar mentality as Kirk Cousins. .

 

But you don't play. It is funny how one's perspective changes when they are directly impacted. One guy in Montana that I know had called the virus a hoax. When his wife tested positive for COVID-19, he sanitized his whole house so that others don't contract it. It is not a hoax to him anymore. He is no longer calling it the flu.

 

Btw, what is the "mentality" of Kirk Cousins? 

 

Your quote:

"we are talking about athletes getting paid millions to play an inherently dangerous game."

 

What difference does it make? Serious question. Do you think they do not deserve to be protected? How about all the people they come in contact with who may not be "paid millions" who may get the virus from them? And how about the people those people are in contact with? As you see with the Titans, this is highly contagious and the only people we know who have tested positive are those working for the team. How about all the people they may have infected? They are probably not millionaires. And it would not matter if they were.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All Titans came back negative this morning, they are not out of woods yet though. Im pretty sure they had a day earlier this week where no one came back positive as well.

 

Good news for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, w87r said:

All Titans came back negative this morning, they are not out of woods yet though. Im pretty sure they had a day earlier this week where no one came back positive as well.

 

Good news for now.

They did

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Jets had a player test positive, he is getting retested to rule out false positive.

 

All players and coaches have been sent home while waiting for results.

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/09/jets-have-a-presumptive-positive-covid-19-test-result/

Not good news

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, life long said:

What are the odds of a player getting infected and dying? 1 in a million? Less...? If something like that happened that would be nightmarish... Yet players have died playing this game before the pandemic and likely will after. If I played I would have a similar mentality as Kirk Cousins. I know how this forum views this whole subject but we are talking about athletes getting paid millions to play an inherently dangerous game.

 

Do you know what I'm (drudgingly) waiting for? Cardiac MRI results in NFL players positive for Covid that show myocarditis.  I remember around 15% of college athletes showed evidence of it post Covid recovery. :( And how that affects their athletic future-

 

"Cardiac MRI scans have detected myocarditis in 15 percent of competitive athletes who have recovered from COVID-19, a new study has reported."

 

full article here

 

https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/view/cardiac-mri-reveals-myocarditis-in-competitive-athletes-recovered-from-covid-19

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

just play ball, as normal. With what protocols are already in place.

 

Does it suck, yes. 

 

But I have hard fact here that everyone needs to understand.  Coronavirus, aka Covid-19 is NOT going away any time soon, vaccine or no vaccine. We have a "vaccine" for the flu, a and b. People still get the flu.  Polio is on a rise. SARS, Ebola etc are all still out there. Just because the news stops reporting on it, doesn't mean the virus is gone.  Heck, the common cold still hasn't been beat and we've known its genes for decades.

 

We can either live in fear of it, or we can try and live thru it and take it in stride. Really there is nothing anyone of us can do more than most of us are doing. Washing hands, masks, sanitizer etc.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The nfl protocols are all working. The titans was a extreme case because they weren’t following protocols.  The jets player turned out to be a false positive. So far all the games are on this week. Some delayed yes but are all on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Do you know what I'm (drudgingly) waiting for? Cardiac MRI results in NFL players positive for Covid that show myocarditis.  I remember around 15% of college athletes showed evidence of it post Covid recovery. :( And how that affects their athletic future-

 

"Cardiac MRI scans have detected myocarditis in 15 percent of competitive athletes who have recovered from COVID-19, a new study has reported."

 

full article here

 

https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/view/cardiac-mri-reveals-myocarditis-in-competitive-athletes-recovered-from-covid-19

 

 

 

 

 

Way, way too inconclusive.  Very small sample size, as well.

 

Even the study (which I don't believe was peer-reviewed, but feel free to correct me otherwise) admits this.

 

"Based on these results, the team said, the overall COVID-19-related myocardial injury in competitive athletes and the impact on sports participation remains unclear. It is possible, they said, that these abnormalities are the result of athletic cardiac adaptation. Consequently, further research is needed."

 

Every single major conference has consulted with some of the best medical professionals out there, and they all decided to end up proceeding with the season (with the proper monitoring protocols and scheduled scans in place). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

 

Way, way too inconclusive.  Very small sample size, as well.

 

Yes, but the positive results obtained cannot be dismissed out of hand either.

 

Quote

Even the study (which I don't believe was peer-reviewed, but feel free to correct me otherwise) admits this.

 

"Based on these results, the team said, the overall COVID-19-related myocardial injury in competitive athletes and the impact on sports participation remains unclear. It is possible, they said, that these abnormalities are the result of athletic cardiac adaptation. Consequently, further research is needed."

 

Also (from other sources) about the same study-

 

"In the study, four athletes (15%) were shown to possibly have myocarditis by MRI criteria. In addition to these four, eight others had evidence of scar tissue, suggesting either prior myocardial injury or normal athletic adaptation of the heart."

 

“It’s not known what caused the scar tissue in those eight, or if it was related to having COVID-19,” Rajpal said. “Additionally, the CMR imaging ruled out myocarditis for all athletes without MRI evidence of inflammation, allowing them to return to playing sports.”

 

"The public should be aware of these findings and know the symptoms of heart disease with COVID-19 infection. As people begin to exercise after recovering from the virus, any chest pain, shortness of breath or abnormal heart beats should be evaluated by a doctor," said Dr. Curt Daniels (pictured left), co-author, cardiologist and professor at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.

 

Quote

Every single major conference has consulted with some of the best medical professionals out there, and they all decided to end up proceeding with the season (with the proper monitoring protocols and scheduled scans in place). 

 

The study’s authors do recommend more research on CMR screening post Covid-19, including long-term follow-ups with athletes and control populations.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL could have done a shortened schedule, with bubbles, with a bye in the middle for players and coaches to visit their families, followed by a playoff bubble. Less risk, less reward/$.
 

They chose a traditional schedule with precautions.  Higher risk, higher reward/$.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone concerned(Colts wise) with the Bears player that just tested positive? He wasn't contagious for the Colts game, but most likely he was exposed to it around that time? He is right in the incubation range from exposure(being around Colts when exposed). Slim chance just something that crossed my mind.

 

Also I guess another Patriot tested positive and I the Pats shutdown their facility. Not sure if I saw that posted around here today?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, csmopar said:

just play ball, as normal. With what protocols are already in place.

 

Does it suck, yes. 

 

But I have hard fact here that everyone needs to understand.  Coronavirus, aka Covid-19 is NOT going away any time soon, vaccine or no vaccine. We have a "vaccine" for the flu, a and b. People still get the flu.  Polio is on a rise. SARS, Ebola etc are all still out there. Just because the news stops reporting on it, doesn't mean the virus is gone.  Heck, the common cold still hasn't been beat and we've known its genes for decades.

 

We can either live in fear of it, or we can try and live thru it and take it in stride. Really there is nothing anyone of us can do more than most of us are doing. Washing hands, masks, sanitizer etc.

Amen. What does suck is all the testing. Cam newton missed a game because he tested positive but has absolutely no sickness. This is the kind of crap thats burning me up. Keep testing us all we all have a deadly virus in us all! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Cam newton missed a game because he tested positive but has absolutely no sickness

This isnt just about the players. They might not get sick, but they can develop other issues because of it.

 

Saying that, like I said it's not just about the players. Its about their wifes and kids, their parents, grand parents. Potential spread from there.

 

Without a bubble keeping players from their families it will be tough.

 

How many deaths would it take for you to see that different? 1 players family member, or one coach/ref.

 

I would say 1 is to many when it would have came from playing a game

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'd throw Pittsburgh in there too. 
    • The red zone % can be misleading. Looking at that, one would not expect 7-3.  I find our offensive rz % more concerning than our defensive #. However, ifYOUR offense is in rz more often than opponent, and THEIR offense is kept out of rz more than your offense, you can better afford these #s.   Concerning, yes, but i would argue, at 7-3, there is more going on than rz % by itself. 
    • ? Rivers is the QB and the leader of this team. Yes the strong point of our team is the defense but it it still the offense that scores the points to win.  I agree that no one player is responsible but his veterans leadership means more than you want to give any credit.  Just because he is not a Mahomes or a Wilson does not devalue what he is to this team.  With the help of the defense he pretty much equaled Rogers this last week.  He has already done more for this team than a lot of fans thought he would. 
    • I don’t mean to split hairs....   But while freely admitting 2020 Rivers isn’t 2010 Rivers or even 2018 Rivers, he’s certainly much better than 2019 Rivers.  He’s having a very good year, and he’s doing that without the weapons that other QB’s have.   And he’s doing it without the expected running game until this week.      2020 Rivers is also clearly better than 2019 Brissett, so I’m not ready to discount his responsibility for our current 7-3.  I agree things could still come off the rails.   I agree that the defense and ST get equal or greater credit, but still...   Rivers is driving our offensive train in a way JB could not.  So it feels that at least thru 10 weeks, at least, he’s deserving of more credit than you’re currently offering.    Did I thread that very small needle?    
    • When I was watching it on TV it seemed like there were a lot of Packers there but it seemed like 50/50 to me. Our crowd got loud when we were on defense at the end of regulation and in OT. 50/50 is still bad for a home team but it was noisy for the Colts at times too.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...