Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots vs Chiefs MNF game thread

chad72

1 hour ago, JimJaime said:

I agree with that! I dare say we win this game if Cam didn’t have Corona.  All I know is after last night what I want in the draft is a 1st round QB... 

Yeah, with Cam, you are probably winning this thing with all the rust the Chiefs showed and how well your D played for the most part. They never had to worry about Hoyer taking off and running, made him a sitting duck. Plus, he made terrible decisions.

8 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

I agree and I think what has become apparent is Bill ran the defense and Brady ran the offense. The two GOATS at their positions. It really was a perfect match which is what made it so formidable for two decades. 

McDaniels ran the offense and Brady executed at a high level. McDaniels returning to the Patriots was really good for the Patriots when his Denver tenure crashed and burned. Their OL coaching was stellar under Scar, but they have been better than I thought this year.

Belichick has been running the D since the Parcells days when he roughed up the likes of Joe Montana as a Giants DC, Jim Kelly as a Giants DC, and got his D to play at a high level vs the likes of Peyton too like we all know. The D actually suffered when he delegated the D to guys like Matt Patricia, IMO, though he had his fingerprints on the roster make up and schemes still, but not the play calling.

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah, with Cam, you are probably winning this thing with all the rust the Chiefs showed and how well your D played for the most part. They never had to worry about Hoyer taking off and running, made him a sitting duck. Plus, he made terrible decisions.

The sack at the end of the half had me going “that’s it bench him” if that had been Stidham I say “rookie mistake it happens” but no excuse for the mistakes Hoyer made.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

McDaniels ran the offense and Brady executed at a high level. McDaniels returning to the Patriots was really good for the Patriots when his Denver tenure crashed and burned. Their OL coaching was stellar under Scar, but they have been better than I thought this year.

McDaniels proves every day he is overrated IMO so glad the Colts did not get him. He has never done anything without Brady as his QB except be terrible. And remember the Patriots had Weiss and Bill O'Brien has OCs as well and Brady went to the Super Bowl with those guys too.  

Just now, FortheWin said:

McDaniels proves every day he is overrated IMO so glad the Colts did not get him. He has never done anything without Brady as his QB except be terrible. And remember the Patriots had Weiss and Bill O'Brien has OCs as well and Brady went to the Super Bowl with those guys too.  

I don't think you are giving him enough credit. But then, you seem like a Brady fan boy, seen plenty of those. :thmup:

16 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Glad to see Brian Hoyer fail with the Pats now. Either that or the Belichick pixie dust stopped working.

Ahh 10-26... man those Pats are awful. Feels good.

Those Pats would have beaten KC with Cam, hell may have won if Stidham had started!  The Pats D is legit! It gave up only 19 points to the most explosive offense in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Those Pats would have beaten KC with Cam, hell may have won if Stidham had started!  The Pats D is legit! It gave up only 19 points to the most explosive offense in the NFL.

I saw shades of Romeo Crennel scheming vs Peyton there, dropping LBs into coverage and doubling WRs while just rushing 3 or 4, the difference is Mahomes' mobility daring Mahomes to hand it off and run the ball, which like Peyton, did not do as much. It has to be great defensive coaching to know which way to rush those OL to get effective pressure with just 3 or 4 rushing. One would think Mahomes would have all the time in the world but it was not the case. They studied OL tendencies very well and delay sending their extra guy so that the OL is already committed and the extra guy has more free shots at Mahomes.

However, I do think Andy Reid is one heck of an offensive master mind, who understands spatial awareness and offensive spacing so well and makes great adjustments. On that Hardman jet sweep, he had Kelce and Watkins on the right side tight and Watkins essentially got 2 defenders to commit by making a hard move, and in doing so (since they were doubling Kelce all along) Reid took out 3 defensive guys by the goal line with 2 offensive players thus giving Hardman the edge to break inside for the TD. 

That is where Brady gave the Pats the edge because with lesser QBs, the Pats couldn't maintain the pressure with high level of execution and scores on the scoreboard when opposing HCs made adjustments and started scoring on the Pats' defense. I do look forward to the Bills-Patriots division battles this year.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

I saw shades of Romeo Crennel scheming vs Peyton there, dropping LBs into coverage and doubling WRs while just rushing 3 or 4, the difference is Mahomes' mobility daring Mahomes to hand it off and run the ball, which like Peyton, did not do as much. It has to be great defensive coaching to know which way to rush those OL to get effective pressure with just 3 or 4 rushing. One would think Mahomes would have all the time in the world but it was not the case. They studied OL tendencies very well and delay sending their extra guy so that the OL is already committed and the extra guy has more free shots at Mahomes.

However, I do think Andy Reid is one heck of an offensive master mind, who understands spatial awareness and offensive spacing so well and makes great adjustments. On that Hardman jet sweep, he had Kelce and Watkins on the right side tight and Watkins essentially got 2 defenders to commit by making a hard move, and in doing so (since they were doubling Kelce all along) Reid took out 3 defensive guys by the goal line with 2 offensive players thus giving Hardman the edge to break inside for the TD. 

That is where Brady gave the Pats the edge because with lesser QBs, the Pats couldn't maintain the pressure with high level of execution and scores on the scoreboard when opposing HCs made adjustments and started scoring on the Pats' defense. I do look forward to the Bills-Patriots division battles this year.

I agree with everything you said.  I was just pointing out to Remedy that those “awful pats” would have won the game with Cam Newton playing.  As one of the talking heads said “ SB Caliber HC, SB caliber Defense, being run by a pop warner QB”. I think that was insulting Pop Warner QBs lol

10 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I agree with everything you said.  I was just pointing out to Remedy that those “awful pats” would have won the game with Cam Newton playing.  As one of the talking heads said “ SB Caliber HC, SB caliber Defense, being run by a pop warner QB”. I think that was insulting Pop Warner QBs lol

That is tough to say because KC would have had a totally different game plan for Cam. One more like what they did vs the Ravens where they shut Jackson completely down. The Pats defense was very impressive though. 

Archived