Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill O’Brien fired

chad72

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's horrible for the Colts. BoB was an OK coach and a horrible GM who hampered that team every chance he got with his personnel decisions. Luckily for us they are bereft of picks for the following year and whoever they pick to be their new GM will be having a handicapped start to their tenure. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So does a team offer a 1st or a 2nd for Watson to their new GM? 

I'd offer a 1st or 2nd for Watson at the end of the year for him. Rivers and Brissett would be gone, their money would be off the books, and we could afford Watson on his contract with a brand new deal. Plus, I believe Watson would be better than any QB we could get with a late 1st or late 2nd round pick in the draft, and Reich could probably do much better with Watson on this team than Bill O'Brien ever could.

I don't really have anything against Bill, but he really hasn't achieved much in his career that would warrant being were he got at 50 years old.  I thought I would look at his history and see some great things.  I'm confused on how he managed to become coach and GM of an NFL franchise. 

William James O'Brien[1] (born October 23, 1969) is an American football coach. He served as the head coach of the Houston Texans of the National Football League (NFL) from 2014 to 2020. He also served as the team’s general manager in 2020. He was the head coach of the Penn State Nittany Lions from 2012 to 2013.

O'Brien began his coaching career in 1993 at Brown University before spending more than a decade coaching in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). He joined the New England Patriots in 2007, where he eventually served as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator in 2011. In 2012, he was hired by Penn State to take over a program that had just endured the Penn State child sex abuse scandal. In his first season as head coach, he led the team to an 8–4 record and won ESPN's National Coach of the Year award. After the 2012 season, O'Brien garnered significant interest to return to the National Football League (NFL) as a head coach and interviewed with both the Philadelphia Eagles and the Cleveland Browns. O'Brien decided to stay at Penn State, citing that it would send a poor message to leave after just one season. After his second season, he left Penn State to become the head coach of the Texans.

College assistant

O'Brien's first coaching position was at Brown, where he coached tight ends in 1993 and inside linebackers in 1994. He then spent the next three seasons (1995–1997) as an offensive graduate assistant at Georgia Tech.

He then coached the Yellow Jackets' running backs from the 1998 season through 2000 season. In 1999, running back Sean Gregory ran for 837 yards with six touchdowns. In 2000, running back Joe Burns ran for 908 yards with 12 touchdowns.

From 2001 to 2002, O'Brien served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and was named an assistant head coach for the 2002 season. In 2002, O'Brien was hired as Notre Dame's offensive Coordinator before George O'Leary was dismissed. As offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech in 2001 and 2002, his teams averaged 31 and 21.5 points per game, respectively as the teams went 9–4 and 7–6.[5][6] In 2001, running back Joe Burns ran for 1,165 yards with 14 touchdowns and quarterback George Godsey threw for 3,085 yards with 18 touchdowns. In 2002 under Chan Gailey, running back Tony Hollings ran for 633 yards with 11 touchdowns and wide receiver Kerry Watkins got 1,050 yards and 5 touchdowns.

In 2003, he left to coach running backs at the University of Maryland, where he spent two seasons. In 2003, RB Josh Allen ran for 922 yards with 8 touchdowns while Bruce Perry ran for 713 yards and 6 touchdowns.

As offensive coordinator at Duke in 2005 and 2006, his teams averaged 16.1 and 14.9 points per game.[7] In 2006, QB Thaddeus Lewis threw for 2,134 yards with 11 TD.

New England Patriots

After two seasons with Duke, O'Brien was hired by the New England Patriots on February 27, 2007 as an offensive assistant.[8] On February 21, 2008, O'Brien was promoted to wide receivers coach.[9] He became the quarterbacks coach and offensive play-caller following the 2008 season after the departure of quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in February 2011.

The Patriots gave the Jacksonville Jaguars permission to interview O'Brien for their head coaching vacancy during the Patriots' playoff bye week; O'Brien was scheduled for an interview, but never actually interviewed for the job.[10] Instead, O'Brien interviewed with Penn State staff on January 5, 2012,[11] was offered the head coach position, and signed a four-year contract to become the Nittany Lions' coach.[12] O'Brien continued as New England's offensive coordinator through Super Bowl XLVI.

Penn State

O'Brien was hired as Penn State's 15th head football coach, replacing Joe Paterno.[13] He was introduced as the head coach at a press conference on January 7, 2012.[14]

Response to sanctions

Due to the Penn State child sex abuse scandal, on July 24, 2012, the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) sanctioned Penn State with a four-year postseason ban, and loss of 40 scholarships over a four-year period.

In light of these NCAA sanctions, O'Brien issued the following statement:

"Today we receive a very harsh penalty from the NCAA and as head coach of the Nittany Lions football program, I will do everything in my power to not only comply, but help guide the University forward to become a national leader in ethics, compliance and operational excellence. I knew when I accepted the position that there would be tough times ahead. But I am committed for the long term to Penn State and our student athletes.

I was then and I remain convinced that our student athletes are the best in the country. I could not be more proud to lead this team and these courageous and humble young men into the upcoming 2012 season. Together we are committed to building a better athletic program and university".[15]

Because of a clause in his contract, O'Brien received an automatic four-year extension that guaranteed an extra year for every year of sanctions put on the program.[16]

In his first game as Penn State's head coach, the Nittany Lions lost to the Ohio University Bobcats, 24–14. O'Brien's first win as the Penn State head coach took place on September 15, 2012, with a 34–7 win against the United States Naval Academy at Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA. Despite the fallout from the Jerry Sandusky scandal, his first season as coach at Penn State was far more successful than anticipated and resulted in a final record of 8–4. O'Brien collected the most wins for a first-year head coach in school history and was awarded Big Ten Coach of the Year on November 27, 2012.[17]

O'Brien was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year by both the media and the coaches.[18] On December 8, 2012, O'Brien was named the national coach of the year by ESPN.[19][20] On January 17, 2013, O'Brien was awarded the 2012 Paul "Bear" Bryant College Coach of the Year Award.[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O'Brien_(American_football)

i think he was an average coach but clearly failed as a gm

its not even the hopkins trade that bothered me its that he didnt seem to have a vison for what kind of roster he wanted.  they definitely saved money letting hopkins go, the question is what is the plan for that money now? 

i guess im not a fan of giving a huge chunk of the cap to a WR

18 hours ago, Derakynn said:

This is really unfortunate from a Texans fan's perspective. You really wish something (or someone) would have stopped him from trading away Hopkins. Top 2 WR in the league. I don't care how high the pick is, that's not something you can just decide to replace. All they got out of it was four losses before OBrien got tossed out.

It's not just that he traded him, he traded him and got so little in compensation.  He traded a 4th and Hopkins for a 2020 2nd, a 2021 1st and a David Johnson who while he had a couple good seasons was now constantly injured.  

If he had been savy enough he could have probably gotten 2 1sts and a 3rd for Hopkins.   

Realistically he shouldn't have traded Hopkins at all.  Texans were competitive and making the playoffs, he should have been trying to build that team further, not blow it up.  

And the worst thing is that he consistently and not just with the Hopkins trade gave away his players for too little and gave up too much for players he was bringing in.  

46 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its not even the hopkins trade that bothered me its that he didnt seem to have a vison for what kind of roster he wanted.  they definitely saved money letting hopkins go, the question is what is the plan for that money now? 

I will tell you between Chip Kelly and Bill O'Brian. . . it does not seem like a good idea to give a promising former college HC the GM powers.  

Chip Kelly actually showed some promise as a head coach in the NFL level.  Then they gave him GM powers and he went loco.  Took a good team and blew it up.  

Going into Covid 2020 O'Brien coached the Texans to 4 Division Titles in last 5 seasons. 

They opened up this season playing Chiefs, Ravens, and Steelers.  Many teams would probably have started 0-3  against them, including our Colts. 

His downfall was getting rid of impactful players, especially Hopkins & Clowney. When a team starts shedding away very good, elite talent that's usually a sign the Football Gods say its NOT  YOUR TURN Anymore!

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I was thinking the same thing, but Watson has a no trade clause and his dead cap hit would be astronomical. Watson and Houston are stuck with each other for at least 2 more seasons. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I was thinking the same thing, but Watson has a no trade clause and his dead cap hit would be astronomical. Watson and Houston are stuck with each other for at least 2 more seasons. 

wow that is a lot of dead cap, this will kill the trade rumors when people see it

they cant afford that even if everyone were to agree on a trade 

5 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

dang!!! i knew it'd be big but 75 million and then its still 50 million in 3 years!  wow.  Looks like their only out wont be until 2024. 

Back to a reality conversation. Bill O’Brien failed as a GM. Not a coach. His personnel decisions derailed his tenure. The formula of a coach also being the GM doesn’t work very often. It certainly didn’t in Houston. Why don’t these so called business genius NFL owners get that? Separation of powers is a necessarily reality. Maybe once in a while It works. But rarely. 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, aaron11 said:

Rumor has it only 2 teams showed intrest at Hopkins knowing he wanted 25 plus million a year both with rookies QB s under center .

On 10/6/2020 at 9:30 AM, csmopar said:

On 10/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd offer a 1st or 2nd for Watson at the end of the year for him. Rivers and Brissett would be gone, their money would be off the books, and we could afford Watson on his contract with a brand new deal. Plus, I believe Watson would be better than any QB we could get with a late 1st or late 2nd round pick in the draft, and Reich could probably do much better with Watson on this team than Bill O'Brien ever could.

Why would the Texans, regardless who the new GM will be, trade away a young Franchise QB??  ..... And especially for a measly 1st or 2nd rd. Pick??

Besides Maholmes,  who's a better QB in the AFC??

Archived