Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Early Favorite in Cleveland

AZColt11

Vegas has installed them as an early 1.5 point favorite in Cleveland.  I'm sure this line will move some before the game as many will likely take those points on the Browns, especially after the Browns' performance in Dallas.  But Vegas knows some things.  They have professionals that study every little detail of games.  This tells me they believe the Colts are the better team.  We shall see if it plays out that way Sunday, but I am encouraged.  I fully expected Cleveland to be a 3 point or so favorite.

At any rate, this Sunday will likely be the Colts newest best test to date.

This game worries me a little. I hope our defense can stop OBJ. He seemed to run roughshod over the Dallas defense yesterday. 

I don't know if Chubb will miss this game or not but the Browns can not be overlooked. I see this as our newest & most important test so far. I think if our defense can have another good game & the offense (particularly the Oline) can step up we will open some more eyes around the league. GO COLTS!!!

If Darius Leonard misses this game, we are in trouble.

We have the physicality but not the speed to keep up with someone like OBJ, that will be a key matchup to me. 

Bottom line, cannot give Baker too much time and have to stop the run. We have to control tempo and clock when we can on our end. Can't settle for FGs most of the time. Need better red zone play calling. Need offensive firepower fully utilized. If we don't have enough pass catchers healthy, send Hines out as a pass catcher (instead of between the tackles) and use more 2 RB formations.

I think the best thing that could have happened for this young Colts team is the film they are going to get to watch of the Browns vs. Cowboys yesterday.  If they had just had a mediocre game or done poorly, I think this team could potentially overlook the Browns in this one.  After yesterday?  I don't see that as a problem now.  They should have the Colts' FULL attention.

We’re gonna have to tighten up some things.  i’m also concerned about injuries to some players. We’re gonna need leonard, castonzo, carrie, etc to beat Cleveland.  Especially at their home.  They are riding high and very confident and relaxed after the win-in Dallas.... or Allas as they are now called cuz they have no D.

The Browns are talented , explosive, and confident.  A bad combination for opponents.

We are gonna need 7 points in red zone....not 3 if we have any chance of winning imo.

I expect this to be our toughest game yet....: by a sizable margin. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

We have the physicality but not the speed to keep up with someone like OBJ, that will be a key matchup to me. 

Bottom line, cannot give Baker too much time and have to stop the run. We have to control tempo and clock when we can on our end. Can't settle for FGs most of the time. Need better red zone play calling. Need offensive firepower fully utilized. If we don't have enough pass catchers healthy, send Hines out as a pass catcher (instead of between the tackles) and use more 2 RB formations.

The key to the Browns is stopping that run. I think they are a different squad if you force them to play out of shotgun. Get them out of their playaction game.  I dont think their defense is all that good. The Cowboyz were passing all over them without even using any playaction. I get the feeling Frank is going to open up the passing game and the no huddle a bit more in this one judging from what i watched in the Cowboy Browns game. I will say though that we dont necessarily have better personnel than the Cowboys do on offense.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

The key to the Browns is stopping that run. I think they are a different squad if you force them to play out of shotgun. Get them out of their playaction game.  I dont think their defense is all that good. The Cowboyz were passing all over them without even using any playaction. I get the feeling Frank is going to open up the passing game and the no huddle a bit more in this one judging from what i watched in the Cowboy Browns game. I will say though that we dont necessarily have better personnel than the Cowboys do on offense.

Their LBs are weak in coverage. I'd throw to Doyle, MAC and Burton all day on them at different depths along with Hines sprinkled in, and once the time is right, will hit TY and Pascal for a few times. Our TEs, all of them need to be healthy for this specific contest to utilize the matchup issues. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Their LBs are weak in coverage. I'd throw to Doyle, MAC and Burton all day on them at different depths along with Hines sprinkled in, and once the time is right, will hit TY and Pascal for a few times. Our TEs, all of them need to be healthy for this specific contest to utilize the matchup issues. 

Defensively ive seen Rhodes shutdown Beckham before. Got to get a handle on Becham. Stop the run and get a handle on Becham. Thats how you make them play left handed 

Yeah, typically with two teams on identical 3 game winning streaks you'd lean towards favoring the home team. But Vegas may be looking for the league's best and most suffocating defense to at least slow the Clowns' offense, especially if they are without Chubb, and for a better-than-being-admitted Colts offense to have some good opportunities against a worse-than-being-admitted Clowns defense.

Maybe it's something else, but I can certainly understand why the line has opened this way.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Vegas has installed them as an early 1.5 point favorite in Cleveland.  I'm sure this line will move some before the game as many will likely take those points on the Browns, especially after the Browns' performance in Dallas.  But Vegas knows some things.  They have professionals that study every little detail of games.  This tells me they believe the Colts are the better team.  We shall see if it plays out that way Sunday, but I am encouraged.  I fully expected Cleveland to be a 3 point or so favorite.

At any rate, this Sunday will likely be the Colts newest best test to date.

Actually , the line has moved the other way. Opened Sunday night at 1 and is now 2.5 on most sites. Unless we have more then the injury to Leornard , I don't think this is going to move to Cleveland being -2 or 3.

17 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Yeah, typically with two teams on identical 3 game winning streaks you'd lean towards favoring the home team. But Vegas may be looking for the league's best and most suffocating defense to at least slow the Clowns' offense, especially if they are without Chubb, and for a better-than-being-admitted Colts offense to have some good opportunities against a worse-than-being-admitted Clowns defense.

Maybe it's something else, but I can certainly understand why the line has opened this way.

Don't forget there is not much of a "crowd factor" with the home teams.

The thing to remember about “point spreads”, they’re not meant to indicate which team “Vegas” thinks is a better team, but rather, the purpose of the spread is to try to equal out the betting, half the bets on one team, half the bets on the other.  That way, the house can’t lose because they profit on the juice, with the rest of the betting offsetting each other.

To the game, I suspect it will be a tough game and a bit of a litmus test for revealing where the Colts are really at.

I am surprised the Colts are favored being on the road. Yeah there isn't much of a HFA right now but it is still a road game against a high octane offense. Browns and Colts are pretty even right now IMO. My power rankings after 4 weeks has the Colts only 1 spot ahead of the Browns, I had for a Top 14:

1. Chiefs (3-0) play tonight

2. Seahawks (4-0)

3. Packers (3-0) play tonight

4. Ravens (3-1) lost to the Chiefs

5. Bills (4-0)

6. Steelers (3-0)

7. Titans (3-0)

8. Rams (3-1) lost to the Bills

9. Bucs (3-1) lost to the Saints

10.  Colts crack my top 10 (3-1)

11. Browns at 11 (3-1)

12. Patriots (2-1) with Cam

13, Saints (2-2) eventhough 2-2 by the eye test they belong here at worse

14. Bears (3-1) lost to the Colts

On 10/5/2020 at 8:12 AM, chad72 said:

Beckham is talented but he's only had 13 TDs in the previous 3 seasons and had one less yesterday than he had all of last year.   I'm not ready to pee down my leg yet because of OBJ.  I would be willing to bet the farm that he will not score on reverse pass our a reverse theis week.  

I think the big question is how our DLINE matches up against their solid OLINE.  Hunt could be scary if Leonard is out and Franklin gets overwhelmed.

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Beckham is talented but he's only had 13 TDs in the previous 3 seasons and had one less yesterday than he had all of last year.   I'm not ready to pee down my leg yet because of OBJ.  I would be willing to bet the farm that he will not score on reverse pass our a reverse theis week.  

I think the big question is how our DLINE matches up against their solid OLINE.  Hunt could be scary if Leonard is out and Franklin gets overwhelmed.

Beckham isn't the only person to worry about. Landry can get open. They also have Hooper and Bryant at TE. Along with Hunt out the backfield. Now it's a mystery which Browns team will show up but OBJ def isnt the only threat

This will be a good test. If we are to throw out Week 1 for the Colts...then we should probably do the same for CLE (especially against BAL). So we are basically looking at the past 3 weeks...and it's high-octane offense vs. stout defense. 

If the defense can hold up...the Colts will be able to stick to their gameplan. But if CLE gets a few scores...we could see the Colts in uncharted waters...playing in a shootout.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Beckham isn't the only person to worry about. Landry can get open. They also have Hooper and Bryant at TE. Along with Hunt out the backfield. Now it's a mystery which Browns team will show up but OBJ def isnt the only threat

Landry is OK. Nothing remotely special though.   used to be a high volume receiver but doesn't do anything to scare a team.

Don't get me wrong, they have good weapons, but I still think the key is going to be to contain Hunt and that other RB that put up 90+.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, BlueCollarColts said:

Really surprised we opened as favorites.

Not that the Colts have played a tough schedule but take a look at how Cleveland got to 3-1.

Game 1 they were beaten at Baltimore 38-6.

Game 2 they beat Cinn 35-30 at home.

Game 3 at home to Washington they trailed after 3 quarters and won 24-21

Game 4 at Dallas was impressive but Dallas has been disappointing thus far.

I can understand how we are favored by 2.5. If we have 3 LB's out , it will no doubt change things.

On 10/5/2020 at 8:58 AM, Bolts2Colts said:

This will be a great test for the Colts’ defense (which is best in the league). 

That statement is fools gold I think. Sure, we all hope it's true, but we've played 4 hopeless offenses. 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

That statement is fools gold I think. Sure, we all hope it's true, but we've played 4 hopeless offenses. 

Sorry, I meant according to the chart I posted a link to. That chart shows Browns as third best offense with above average defense, and portrays us as best defense with average offense. 

Archived