Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard will talk this week....

Could be today, could be tomorrow.   But he always has talked at the quarters.   After games 4, 8, 12 and 16.

Should be interesting to hear him address the first four games.   We’ve lost so many key acquisitions already.   

Looking forward to it. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Could be today, could be tomorrow.   But he always has talked at the quarters.   After games 4, 8, 12 and 16.

Should be interesting to hear him address the first four games.   We’ve lost so many key acquisitions already.   

Looking forward to it. 

I imagine the theme this year will be adversity, more so than any other year. I always enjoy hearing his input as well during this mark. 

• Like 1

I have been wanting to hear him talk to us.

I always feel better, actually much better, about where the team is and is going after he speaks.

Hmmm, think we could talk him into running for a “bigger” job to be the “GM” of the country?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looking forward to it. 

if i were him i would be thinking of a big name wr to trade for because we've got to improve in the Redzone

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

if i were him i would be thinking of a big name wr to trade for because we've got to improve in the Redzone

I don’t think adding more players is the answer to our red zone deficiency. I believe play calling like using Hines up the middle and in the red zone when Taylor is clearly the better choice 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Word is Allen Robinson is not happy with the Bears for not giving him a contract. If the Bears keep losing, he is someone I would target. Bengals would ask too much for A.J. Green, won't even be a fair negotiation.

Curtis Samuel and Corey Davis might not be bad options either but I doubt the Titans would trade with a division rival once A J Brown comes back. Worth a shot though. Of course, the pipe dream is Julio Jones with a 2nd rounder if we assume his contract.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Word is Allen Robinson is not happy with the Bears for not giving him a contract. If the Bears keep losing, he is someone I would target. Bengals would ask too much for A.J. Green, won't even be a fair negotiation.

Curtis Samuel and Corey Davis might not be bad options either but I doubt the Titans would trade with a division rival once A J Brown comes back. Worth a shot though. Of course, the pipe dream is Julio Jones with a 2nd rounder if we assume his contract.

I like Robinson.  I wouldn't want Green or even Julio, simply because they're in the back end of their careers.  

If (big if) our guys would get healthy (Parris and MP) and they continue to develop the young guys on the roster, we're in decent shape.  Plus, there's are shiny new WRs every year in the draft.

I would like to see us trade for Robinson or Gallup. The wide receivers we have now are just not good enough. Ty is not a no. 1 anymore and Pascal is probably a #4. And Pittman is unproven and Campbell can't stay on the field.

• Like 1

Normally I don’t jump on this “we need to trade for so and so” but I do think it’s time. We need help on O, especially in the end zone. I know a lot of it is play calling and trying to force Hines up the middle, which obviously is not working. Ballard and Reich have to realize this. 

• Like 1

are we sure about this? Has there been press-release of some sort confirming it, or is it just a conjecture? This year is weird in many ways, I can see it being an exception to previous years with Ballard's press availability too. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I like Robinson.  I wouldn't want Green or even Julio, simply because they're in the back end of their careers.  

If (big if) our guys would get healthy (Parris and MP) and they continue to develop the young guys on the roster, we're in decent shape.  Plus, there's are shiny new WRs every year in the draft.

I mean, I would take Julio any day.  But we'd never get him at a price we would be willing to pay.  Dude is just always good if he's on the field healthy.  I mean I have never seen anyone as dominant as Megatron, but Julio is pretty damn close.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Looks like Davante Adams might be unhappy in GB...haha.

But I definitely think Ballard should be exploring trade options for a WR. Not only to help in the RZ (and short term)...but to also hedge against current injuries...as well as future ones.

BUT...it would also put me on pace to have my bold predictions come to fruition.

1. Ballard makes at least one significant in-season trade, involving players/picks/both. We will see...but it makes a lot of sense.

2. Jonathan Taylor will get 40+ targets in the passing game. He and Mack combined...will have 70+. Mack got hurt...so obviously his part isn't happening...but right now...Taylor is on pace for 40 targets...and I imagine his usage will increase.

3. Zach Pascal will be 1st or 2nd in WR snap share. Pascal is currently #1 in WR snap share. 

13 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I mean, I would take Julio any day.  But we'd never get him at a price we would be willing to pay.  Dude is just always good if he's on the field healthy.  I mean I have never seen anyone as dominant as Megatron, but Julio is pretty damn close.

Me too, even if it costs a 2nd and a 3rd across 2 drafts. 

1 hour ago, BigO said:

I would like to see us trade for Robinson or Gallup. The wide receivers we have now are just not good enough. Ty is not a no. 1 anymore and Pascal is probably a #4. And Pittman is unproven and Campbell can't stay on the field.

IF DAL wanted to give away Gallup...sign me up. I can't imagine they would trade any of their WRs though...they need to score as many points as they possibly can this season.

The more likely route would be someone on the NYG...or perhaps MIA. Too bad Keenan Allen signed that extension in LAC...because he would be a perfect trade target IF they wanted to make a splash.

I think it just needs to be somebody who can immediately help. Next year's draft is once again loaded with WR talent...so they can address the position there as well. They just need help now.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Absolutely. Getting Julio would be a big boy move that could change the entire offense.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I just think that's a price too high for me.  But if there were a year to do that, it'd be this year (despite the fact it's probably too late for that now).

25 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I just think that's a price too high for me.  But if there were a year to do that, it'd be this year (despite the fact it's probably too late for that now).

A bird in hand worth more than two in the bush. Just like we knew what we are getting with Buckner, Ballard and Reich will know what they are getting in Julio. I just assigned a random arbitrary value to it. They are not going to give him away, they did get a 2nd rounder, after all for Sanu last year with the Patriots. Julio is definitely worth more.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

are we sure about this? Has there been press-release of some sort confirming it, or is it just a conjecture? This year is weird in many ways, I can see it being an exception to previous years with Ballard's press availability too. 

There’s no announcement that I’m aware of.   But he’s done this every year he’s been the GM.   He’s never missed a quarter.   He’s 12 for 12 in his first three years.    

It might not be today or tomorrow, maybe it happens Wednesday.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A bird in hand worth more than two in the bush. Just like we knew what we are getting with Buckner, Ballard and Reich will know what they are getting in Julio. I just assigned a random arbitrary value to it. They are not going to give him away, they did get a 2nd rounder, after all for Sanu last year with the Patriots. Julio is definitely worth more.

Agree there.  Last receiver we drafted in the 1st was Reggie Wayne as I recall and damn man.  That worked out pretty well.  Pretty tough to argue against when you hit on guys like Reggie and Julio and it's even harder to argue why they arne't worth more than a couple 2nds, but you know you'd do it if it meant for certain, a Super Bowl.

EDIT: Forgot about Anthony Gonzalez and Phillip Dorsett.  Still...

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Agree there.  Last receiver we drafted in the 1st was Reggie Wayne as I recall and damn man.  That worked out pretty well.  Pretty tough to argue against when you hit on guys like Reggie and Julio and it's even harder to argue why they arne't worth more than a couple 2nds, but you know you'd do it if it meant for certain, a Super Bowl.

Plus, we have a QB that throws it up and lets the WR go make a play, I think it is a great match!!! Philip has played with tall WRs throughout his career with Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Mike Williams and even Antonio Gates was a "go get the ball" type of TE that Philip utilized real well. Keenan Allen was the kind who flat out just got open like an Edelman and caught everything thrown his way. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Plus, we have a QB that throws it up and lets the WR go make a play, I think it is a great match!!! Philip has played with tall WRs throughout his career with Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Mike Williams and even Antonio Gates was a "go get the ball" type of TE that Philip utilized real well. Keenan Allen was the kind who flat out just got open like an Edelman and caught everything thrown his way. 

Cox is definitely of the mold of Antonio Gates.  Took the guy a couple years, but man he has balled out this year.  Blocking and running routes/catching has improved a ton.  Rivers has definitely been a part of Mo getting noticed.  Hope we don't lose him.  Not so great last year, but showed promise.  Promise getting delivered this year for sure.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would trade a 1 for Julio Jones. The biggest weakness on the team is WR and he would be a big difference maker. 

Is he worth that though?  Not sayin he's not.  But it's crazy to think anyone would give a first for a guy in his final years.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Cox is definitely of the mold of Antonio Gates.  Took the guy a couple years, but man he has balled out this year.  Blocking and running routes/catching has improved a ton.  Rivers has definitely been a part of Mo getting noticed.  Hope we don't lose him.  Not so great last year, but showed promise.  Promise getting delivered this year for sure.

Is he worth that though?  Not sayin he's not.  But it's crazy to think anyone would give a first for a guy in his final years.

IMO if he is healthy then yes he's worth it

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would trade a 1 for Julio Jones. The biggest weakness on the team is WR and he would be a big difference maker. 

A 2nd and a 3rd across drafts is the most I would give, especially if the Falcons are keen to dump his salary on us.

Same case with Hopkins - got a player and a 2nd for him, so a 2nd and a 3rd across drafts would be very good compensation. That somewhat set the market. The Sanu trade was an outlier.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Those guys are rarely available in season.  cooper is the last one I can think of.  I don't know if we are ready to give 1st rounders to try and "win this year" yet.  

We must have  QB in the near future.  Maybe Eason is the guy but who knows.  

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

If we can get Allen for a 2nd, I'm all in. Exactly the kind of receiver we need right now.

Ballard has spoken.   His interview is on the front of the website.    Been there for a while and nobody seems to know. 

Or....

You can now scroll to Andrew Walker's post which is here on this web page.  He’s posted his interview with Ballard on this page.    You can read it, or view the video link....

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s posted his interview with Ballard on this page.

Interestingly, it was Matt Taylor's interview of Ballard. Andrew Walker then transcribed and posted it on colts.com.

• Thanks 1

Trading for a guy like Julio is just what the Colts need RN. He has the ability to get up B

and make Moss type grabs.

Look I know of you love 1st but given our status this year we arent drafting before 15 so might as well trade for an all star like Julio. 

Would you take the Buckner trade back after 4 weeks? I wouldn't. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pretty uneventful interview, and really didn't expect it to be. Lot of praise but we still are working kind of stuff. All softball Qs.

I liked how he just kept reiterating basically 'we haven't done anything, we've got 12 more weeks to go.'  Our D has been playing well, for the most part... and I felt like Ballard could've easily said "well, we've played the Jags, Jets and a Vikings team who played poorly and a Bears team who was starting basically their back-up.. we're only going to be seeing better offenses as the year goes by" -- of course, that'd be an unprofessional thing to say for a GM... but he's right, we really haven't proven anything yet.  Next week vs. CLE will be the biggest test for our D to date (even if they're missing Chubb).  We have to show we can play dominant D against teams better than we've played so far.  I'm sure he'll have a more interesting interview come the half way point and 3/4 point of the season.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looking forward to it. 

Ah, the great and powerful OZ

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I liked how he just kept reiterating basically 'we haven't done anything, we've got 12 more weeks to go.'  Our D has been playing well, for the most part... and I felt like Ballard could've easily said "well, we've played the Jags, Jets and a Vikings team who played poorly and a Bears team who was starting basically their back-up.. we're only going to be seeing better offenses as the year goes by" -- of course, that'd be an unprofessional thing to say for a GM... but he's right, we really haven't proven anything yet.  Next week vs. CLE will be the biggest test for our D to date (even if they're missing Chubb).  We have to show we can play dominant D against teams better than we've played so far.  I'm sure he'll have a more interesting interview come the half way point and 3/4 point of the season.

3/4 should be the most interesting, although 1/2 will be after the Ravens game.

Ballard's a good GM, not a fun GM. And he's smart, keeping mostly to coach speak. I know some folks like to hang on every word, but he's just not going to give you much.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Information is your friend.

Good information is your best friend.

Chris Ballard gives good information

Oh really? What did he say that was so compelling or news worthy?