Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives To Not Having Peyton Anymore

PreManningColtsFan

Let me clarify my "punks" reference. This references the fans who will bail on this club now that 18 is gone. No question PM did inmeasurable good things for this franchise, including growing the fan base. As a fan that grew up going to Colts games in a 3/4 full dome and was only full when a well traveled opposing team's fan base came to play, I can fully appreciate a sold out LOS complete with Blue jerseys. What I can't appreciate is fans bailing on the Colts now that PM is gone. These fans aren't Colts fans. Their spoiled rotten fans who are loyal to a player, not a franchise, and are the same fan who maintained the "there's always next year" montra in all the years we crashed and burned in the playoffs as they never experienced the misery that existed prior to PM getting to Indy. I get it. I understand it. But my member name is as much about being a colts fan before the greatest QB of all time arrived in Indy as it is about still being a huge fan now that he's gone. I bleed blue for the horseshoe. Anyway, don't take offense chief. If you are still a fan with PM gone, then great. If you are one of the bandwagon fans who is bailing and/or trashing the Colts now that 18 is gone, then the punk reference applies.

Please allow me to clarify something for you. Calling any fans who post on this forum (or members who read) "punks" - however you choose to define it - is insulting, inflammatory and is trolling.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 28, 2012 - telling fans to go root for another team - inflammatory
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 28, 2012 - telling fans to go root for another team - inflammatory

lol....yes, indeed.

Trying to find the positives of not having Peyton is like trying to find the positives of being stranded on a dessert island.

"Well, at least there's this coconut tree. I love coconut".

Maybe you should go root for the Broncos then.

Many of us were Indianapolis Colt fans when Peyton Manning was in middle school, and we will be 20 years after he retires.

I would rather be like the Colts of 1999 - 2010 - been to two Super Bowls and one one of them.

And 7 first round losses.

Had Polian surrounded Peyton Manning with a better defense, special teams, and a running game.....we would have won 3-4 Super Bowls.

As it stands, we had one of the greatest football players EVER for over a decade, and he got one ring.

Had Polian surrounded Peyton Manning with a better defense, special teams, and a running game.....we would have won 3-4 Super Bowls.

As it stands, we had one of the greatest football players EVER for over a decade, and he got one ring.

Sounds like that should be in the Hate all things Polian thread instead of the Hate all things Manning thread.

Maybe you should go root for the Broncos then.

Many of us were Indianapolis Colt fans when Peyton Manning was in middle school, and we will be 20 years after he retires.

Yikes!

Jeepers, mister, wee bit crunchy at the top 'o' the mornin are ya?

Been sporting the shoe since 84 and will always sport it.

I was just making a humorous remark that losing Manning, no matter what greatness follows, is always going to have a downside. I stand fully behind this team and the direction we're headed.

Here is a dancing leprechaun for your amusement....fc619d6b0d116b7bf8d0e03b687eab76.gif

Oh.....and peace man....make love not war, man. peace_hippie-907.gif

lol....yes, indeed.

Trying to find the positives of not having Peyton is like trying to find the positives of being stranded on a dessert island.

"Well, at least there's this coconut tree. I love coconut".

But, if it's a "dessert" island wouldn't those coconuts be turned into pie :pie: and macaroons and anything else yummy that contains coconut? :scratch:

Not to mention all the other great desserts that one would be able to find. However, after time, I can see that this wouldn't be a positive. All those desserts would only lead to a tummy ache :barf: and rotten teeth.

Sorry, ruk. I know that was a typo. Just couldn't help myself. :ashamed:

But, if it's a "dessert" island wouldn't those coconuts be turned into pie :pie: and macaroons and anything else yummy that contains coconut? :scratch:

Not to mention all the other great desserts that one would be able to find. However, after time, I can see that this wouldn't be a positive. All those desserts would only lead to a tummy ache :barf: and rotten teeth.

Sorry, ruk. I know that was a typo. Just couldn't help myself. :ashamed:

Oh jeez.....My failings in school have come back to haunt me yet again. I actually debated with myself as to the spelling when I typed it. In my eternal laziness, I went with the 50/50 gamble and came out on the losing side.

Being stranded on a dessert island would be quite yummy.

No more Na'Polians is probably #1 on my list. Bill loooooooved paying huge contracts to the few playmakers and didn't dabble in free agency because the team ran out of cap space!

I still can't stand seeing his ugly mug on ESPN. He turned his back on the media for so long, then he joins them. <- Becuase nobody else in the NFL would hire him and Chrissy. Not having to read the garbage corner (Polian Corner) is music to my eyes!

We will have less Sunday night games, at least for a few years, and I won't be as tired on Monday mornings.

I really hope you don't live in the US. Tired? Approx 45 mins sleep after SNF / MNF games here in Europe. I'd still prefer it to a good sleep and a 40 point thrashing in the afternoon!

Oh jeez.....My failings in school have come back to haunt me yet again. I actually debated with myself as to the spelling when I typed it. In my eternal laziness, I went with the 50/50 gamble and came out on the losing side.

Being stranded on a dessert island would be quite yummy.

For a great place to cross check spelling quickly... go here... It is in my website favorites, and I often have it up on my second monitor ALL DAY LONG, because I have a decent vocabulary, but can't spell for cowpatties.

1.). Cap space

Okay I am out of positives...

If healthy we are talking about maybe the greatest player to ever play the game I am sorry people can spin things however they want but there are not a lot of positives to letting a guy like that go. It doesn't mean the colts are doomed forever as a result because I don't think that at all but if we are talking about the solo act of cutting peyton manning there are just not a lot of good things that happen as a result of that.

Here is a dancing leprechaun for your amusement....fc619d6b0d116b7bf8d0e03b687eab76.gif

Obviously you are really a Notre Dame fan and want Brady Quinn instead of Andrew Luck.....lol!

I live 35 miles from the Irish campus and went to a game last year with the grandson of Elmer Layden who was one of the "Four Horsemen" of Irish fame that played for Knute Rockne. Irish roots grow deep everywhere.

You missed the point. Everything comparing us to the Ravens has to be on the past or else it is pure speculation. I am not going to get into that.

In the past decade, the Ravens have missed the playoffs multiple years, lost to us on their home field and have not been to the Super Bowl. Why would you want to be like that?

You missed the point. Everything comparing us to the Ravens has to be on the past or else it is pure speculation. I am not going to get into that.

In the past decade, the Ravens have missed the playoffs multiple years, lost to us on their home field and have not been to the Super Bowl. Why would you want to be like that?

The only "point" being made is that adding an elite level quarterback to the excellent defense, special teams and running game of a team like the Baltimore Ravens is a blueprint and a combination that would appeal to many fans. It's appealing because it would be in stark contrast to the subpar defense, special teams, runninggame, interior lineplay, etc. that we have seen in Indianapolis.

Nobody said anything about wanting to be like the 2000-2010 Baltimore Ravens.

Well bandwaggon fans or not without them we could likely say that Indy wouldn't still have a team. No franchise in as small a market as Indy can survive without all types of fans. Hopefully those Peyton fans will still feel some loyalty and spend money and root for the franchise but who knows. Its really easy for people to sit here and scream their "fandom" and question others. I am a huge Colts fan ever since they came to Indy. My whole family is Bears fans. Only when we got Peyton did they become fans and likely will stop now unless the Colts give them a reason to root for them. Its hard for those fans to root for a team that turned its back on the very reason they have been successful for the last dozen years. The very reason they even made the playoffs. Sorry he could only carry the team that far! When all parts worked together they got to two super bowls. Anyways...I have been a Colts fan since they arrived in Indy and as a young kid that was all I knew but as a loyal die hard fan I also feel it is my right to absolutely rip them when I am upset and hurt by a decision they made. That is my right and many people on this forum felt the same way. Made them no less loyal. It was the team that wasn't loyal to Peyton not the other way around so many people didn't like that. Now I am very grateful and respectful of all our fans..the hardcore and the casual...and I don't get off on telling people they are not as good a fan as I am like some. My point is just be careful who you perhaps are targeting because some of those fans that are truely upset with the Colts right now are just as loyal as you. They just speak their displeasure. It is kinda like being patriotic...sometimes you have to speak out and stand up to the govt to be truely patriotic if you feel it is in the best interest of the country....or this case the team.

All good points. I respect any and all opinions and ask the same from anyone else on mine. I also take no offense to anyone having a problem with anything directed toward me based off what I write in a derogatory way. At the end of the day, and this is my opinion that also seems to be shared with most other level headed colts fans as well as seemingly every analyst and sports writer, the Colts not resigning Manning was in the best interest of our franchise. To Agree or disagree with that doesn't really matter b/c it won't change the outcome. Honestly and unselfishly, I am happy for Peyton b/c his chances of winning another ring are better with Denver then Indy. I also couldn't stand the thought of him having a young stud riding the bench behind him and looking to the future of him getting possibly booed and people begging for his replacement to take over for him. That is a situation that, again IMO, was sure to happen had he stayed and we had Luck or RG3 on the bench behind him. Should that hypothetical had played out, IMO, would have been far worse an ending to his career in Indy than what actually took place. Listen, I get it that people are bummed and natually look for people to blame and point fingers. If there's anything that bothers me and I can appreciate people being upset, is when Irsay essentially stating that if Peyton could play, he would be a Colt. Obviously other factors are in play, but to make that statement and not follow through was a foul, IMO. Regardless, Peyton is gone and I wish him all the best and am so grateful for the memories he provided me and my family over the years in going to games and wathing him on tv. However, it's time to move on and appreciate what we had and embrace the future. I choose to look toward the future and not live in the past and go through the what could have been's over and over. I get it that people want to jump the Colts ship, trash Irsay, play hypotheticals, etc. I love all that is Colts footballs, including the bashers, bandwagoners and those who bleed blue no matter the record of our team. Go Horse. Go Blue. Out.

No more Na'Polians is probably #1 on my list. Bill loooooooved paying huge contracts to the few playmakers and didn't dabble in free agency because the team ran out of cap space!

I still can't stand seeing his ugly mug on ESPN. He turned his back on the media for so long, then he joins them. <- Becuase nobody else in the NFL would hire him and Chrissy. Not having to read the garbage corner (Polian Corner) is music to my eyes!

At least we auctioned off the red wig and brushed brown wool suit....ColtsPride11 won the Irsay 'and Um' contest.

The only "point" being made is that adding an elite level quarterback to the excellent defense, special teams and running game of a team like the Baltimore Ravens is a blueprint and a combination that would appeal to many fans. It's appealing because it would be in stark contrast to the subpar defense, special teams, runninggame, interior lineplay, etc. that we have seen in Indianapolis.

Nobody said anything about wanting to be like the 2000-2010 Baltimore Ravens.

The only thing wrong with this observation is that once you have an elite quarterback you have to pay him an elite salary. Once you do that you have little left over to go out and put that incredible defense together. Do you think the Patriots, Packers, and Saints wouldn't love to have great defenses? When you start investing 20 million dollars and basically 1/5th of your cap into one player it makes it extremely hard to put on the field a balanced football team. It definately can be done don't get me wrong but it is extremely difficult. To be honest most teams aren't going to sign Drew Brees, Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning and not surround them with the best offensive line they can or weapons because if you give them nothing it would be extremely difficult for them to be productive. It isn't that you can't build a balanced football team but it is very hard when it centers around two players extremely huge salaries. Between PM and DF they took up about a 3rd of the salary. What I think is funny is how quick we are to say getting rid of PM 20 million dollar salary is a good but nobody was saying perhaps we cut the wrong guy?? Perhaps we should have cut Dwight Freeney and his paltry 19 tackles. Perhaps that money could have been used to sign FAs and we trade the draft pick and get ourselves loaded up for the next 4 years and continue our assult on the AFC. To me this team has been just fine. We had some good signings and some bad. The team was built to play with a lead and most games we did just that. We had some terrible playoff games early on in the Peyton era but over the last 7 or 8 we were extremely competitive in all our post season games and had opportunities to win them all. We know the Peyton boat has sailed but I find little reason to be excited or find few positives on the worst team in the NFL. Perhaps some people will enjoy this new team more...I know I will enjoy our hopeful return but I won't easily forget where we were at before and the leader we had running this team. I want success for Luck as much as the next guy but God forbid this kid be just avg...because it will get harder and harder to live with the loss.

The ONLY positive I can see(and this would be down the road a bit) is that Luck might turn out to be a much more clutch player than Peyton when it really matters. We'll see? That has always been my only knock on Peyton. When it really matters more times than not he just didn't play his best football.

Ok, now that the dust has settled, the range of emotions have subsided and the tears have dried from our eyes, it's time to focus on the upside of what is being called a 2-3 year rebuild of our franchise. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but here we go with my top 10:

1) We no longer have to debate about resting our starters in the early part of December. We can expect to see our starters giving their all each and every week.

2a) We can expect a much more spirited and competitive pre-season. Not because our philosophy of player evaluation will necessarily change, but I believe we will have much more balanced team talent wise and not have fat cats at the top sucking all our cap money leaving us with a dramatic drop in talent to fill special teams and non-skill positions.

2b) After we get rid of the $38mm in dead money this year, we will have some serious doe rae me to sign some talent at much needed areas and become a deep and talented football team.

4) With all rebuilding, we will have a new brand of Colts football that is looking more and more like it's built by solid O line combined with a fullback, that's right a fullback with the horseshoe on their helmet, and a 3-4 scheme.

5) No more Polian speak.

6) A coach that will show different emotions where our previous coach showed the same whether we just advanced to the super bowl over the Jets or got thumped by the Saints by 50 points.

7) The potential of having another QB wearing the #12 that is better than any other QB wearing the same # in the league.

8) No more Peyton happy feat

9) The joy in winning as the underdog always outweighs the satisfaction from winning as the favorite

10) A scrambling QB and a possible return of the stretch play.

I'll miss Peyton and I can only hope that when he retires, he does it next to Irsay and I can't wait to go to Canton to see him join the HOF. Go Horse!

PreManningColtsFan

A whole new level of "accountability" to everyone coach and player on the team.

The ONLY positive I can see(and this would be down the road a bit) is that Luck might turn out to be a much more clutch player than Peyton when it really matters. We'll see? That has always been my only knock on Peyton. When it really matters more times than not he just didn't play his best football.

Peyton did not play his "best" football in all but ONE half of football in the SB run, 2nd half against NE in the AFCCG Manning was.... "MANNING" The rest of the playoff run Manning was very average at best.

D dominated in that post season, and won INDY, It;s first SB.

It takes a team to win BIG in the NFL..... just ask Brady, Montana and all the others who get crowned "GOAT"....

He never had happy feet. It's sad that so many people do not understand that concept. If you want to see happy feet watch Vick when he fails to read a defense and gets confused and bails on the play. That is happy feet.

Manning's chopping/pumping of the feet is a flawless technique that allows him to throw at any given second.

Exactly.

I am sure you are 100% correct. Regardless, the happy feat never gave me the warm and fuzzies. Always made me nervous.

But he did it pretty much every play, and it had nothing to do with the blocking, the defense, or some perceived peril he may have been in.

Exactly.

But he did it pretty much every play, and it had nothing to do with the blocking, the defense, or some perceived peril he may have been in.

He does it on 7 on 7 drills, he does it in practicing drops from center. It's 2nd nature whether the team drops 11 into coverage or brings the house.... Some just don't understand the term accurately.

Not having to see "GOAT" as much in the Colts sections of Colts forums.

IMO you can argue so many for the GOAT and it's tough to compare QBs of different eras and systems and differing circumstances.

The GOAT obsession hopefully goes away a bit.

I agree with this - It frustrated me to no end. I blame Polian for this as well. Once you get to the playoffs, teams play differently, scheme different on defense. We were such an offensive heavy team that I think it was too much for Peyton to overcome once in the playoffs.

I take exception to this rule of thumb "lack of clutch measuring stick" to Peyton Manning in the Playoffs as well as the inference that Tom Brady is the undisputed QB King of the NFL. Funny how people tend to forget that other than 2004 & 2006 Peyton Manning never had a reliable running game he could depend on & our defense has never been solid, intimidating, or shut down like the Steelers or Ravens calling card has always been.

No NFL QB, even one as skilled as Manning, can do it all by himself okay. And another thing is Tom "Terrific" is so clutch why is Brady never held accountable for 2 consecutive New York Giants Superbowl losses? Does anyone ever dare even imply that #12 failed to deliver the football in a better spot for Wes Welker to catch the ball & convert that crucial 3rd down in the 4th quarter? Bleep no!!! God forbid Mr. "Terrific" be blamed for any mistakes on the football field at 2 pinnacle games in his illustrious career. We just can't allow that now can we?!! Yes, Tom Brady is a talented field general, but stop neglecting to bring up his own shortcomings & kicker Adam Vinatieri's clutch foot in that AFC Championship Game against the Raiders, the zebra blunder "Tuck Rule," & their 1st Superbowl victory in 2001 sealed once again by Vinatieri's golden foot.

John Fox will actually generate a reliable running game for Manning in Denver & finally #18 has a shutdown defense. It's all about having the appropriate pieces in place & a stout offensive line to survey the field. Brady has always had a decent offensive throughout his career. I don't care how great a QB is. Without excellent protection, they are usually anything but "Terrific."

I take exception to this rule of thumb "lack of clutch measuring stick" to Peyton Manning in the Playoffs as well as the inference that Tom Brady is the undisputed QB King of the NFL. Funny how people tend to forget that other than 2004 & 2006 Peyton Manning never had a reliable running game he could depend on & our defense has never been solid, intimidating, or shut down like the Steelers or Ravens calling card has always been.

No NFL QB, even one as skilled as Manning, can do it all by himself okay. And another thing is Tom "Terrific" is so clutch why is Brady never held accountable for 2 consecutive New York Giants Superbowl losses? Does anyone ever dare even imply that #12 failed to deliver the football in a better spot for Wes Welker to catch the ball & convert that crucial 3rd down in the 4th quarter? Bleep no!!! God forbid Mr. "Terrific" be blamed for any mistakes on the football field at 2 pinnacle games in his illustrious career. We just can't allow that now can we?!! Yes, Tom Brady is a talented field general, but stop neglecting to bring up his own shortcomings & kicker Adam Vinatieri's clutch foot in that AFC Championship Game against the Raiders, the zebra blunder "Tuck Rule," & their 1st Superbowl victory in 2001 sealed once again by Vinatieri's golden foot.

John Fox will actually generate a reliable running game for Manning in Denver & finally #18 has a shutdown defense. It's all about having the appropriate pieces in place & a stout offensive line to survey the field. Brady has always had a decent offensive throughout his career. I don't care how great a QB is. Without excellent protection, they are usually anything but "Terrific."

all well said and I agree on alot of your points cause they are based on facts with the exception of one thing the Broncos have some up and coming talent on defense but Im not willing to call them a shutdown defense yet but I respect your opinion of course

all well said and I agree on alot of your points cause they are based on facts with the exception of one thing the Broncos have some up and coming talent on defense but Im not willing to call them a shutdown defense yet but I respect your opinion of course

Gavin,

Perhaps, I did take "artistic license" & a few liberties with my classification of Denver as a "shutdown defense." You are correct. I have no definitive proof of this assumption other than to say that if Mile High's defense could keep QB Tim Tebow in most games until the 4th quarter this season Manning won't tire them out with a consistent pattern of 3 & out on the offensive side of the ball. Plus #18's lineman will love a reliable pocket passer that rarely if ever scrambles because they will know where Peyton is at all times & slide his protection accordingly. Not to mention his quick release of the ball will keep opposing safeties deep & open up the ground game too.

I always enjoy reading your insightful commentary Gavin. Keep it up!!!

I agree with this - It frustrated me to no end. I blame Polian for this as well. Once you get to the playoffs, teams play differently, scheme different on defense. We were such an offensive heavy team that I think it was too much for Peyton to overcome once in the playoffs.

Bingo JJcolts!!!

Bill Polian's failure to address gaping holes on both lines, always overpaying athletes for less than stellar field production, taking far too long to cut athletes who cannot pull their own weight anymore i.e. Bob Sanders for example, systematically & methodically destroying our salary cap for decades, & allowing several player contracts expire at the same time all contributed to Playoff failures in recent memory. Well said JJcolts. Well said.