Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positives To Not Having Peyton Anymore

PreManningColtsFan

Ok, now that the dust has settled, the range of emotions have subsided and the tears have dried from our eyes, it's time to focus on the upside of what is being called a 2-3 year rebuild of our franchise. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but here we go with my top 10:

1) We no longer have to debate about resting our starters in the early part of December. We can expect to see our starters giving their all each and every week.

2a) We can expect a much more spirited and competitive pre-season. Not because our philosophy of player evaluation will necessarily change, but I believe we will have much more balanced team talent wise and not have fat cats at the top sucking all our cap money leaving us with a dramatic drop in talent to fill special teams and non-skill positions.

2b) After we get rid of the $38mm in dead money this year, we will have some serious doe rae me to sign some talent at much needed areas and become a deep and talented football team.

4) With all rebuilding, we will have a new brand of Colts football that is looking more and more like it's built by solid O line combined with a fullback, that's right a fullback with the horseshoe on their helmet, and a 3-4 scheme.

5) No more Polian speak.

6) A coach that will show different emotions where our previous coach showed the same whether we just advanced to the super bowl over the Jets or got thumped by the Saints by 50 points.

7) The potential of having another QB wearing the #12 that is better than any other QB wearing the same # in the league.

8) No more Peyton happy feat

9) The joy in winning as the underdog always outweighs the satisfaction from winning as the favorite

10) A scrambling QB and a possible return of the stretch play.

I'll miss Peyton and I can only hope that when he retires, he does it next to Irsay and I can't wait to go to Canton to see him join the HOF. Go Horse!

PreManningColtsFan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now that the dust has settled, the range of emotions have subsided and the tears have dried from our eyes, it's time to focus on the upside of what is being called a 2-3 year rebuild of our franchise. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but here we go with my top 10:

1) We no longer have to debate about resting our starters in the early part of December. We can expect to see our starters giving their all each and every week.

2a) We can expect a much more spirited and competitive pre-season. Not because our philosophy of player evaluation will necessarily change, but I believe we will have much more balanced team talent wise and not have fat cats at the top sucking all our cap money leaving us with a dramatic drop in talent to fill special teams and non-skill positions.

2b) After we get rid of the $38mm in dead money this year, we will have some serious doe rae me to sign some talent at much needed areas and become a deep and talented football team.

4) With all rebuilding, we will have a new brand of Colts football that is looking more and more like it's built by solid O line combined with a tailback, that's right a tailback with the horseshoe on their helmet, and a 3-4 scheme.

5) No more Polian speak.

6) A coach that will show different emotions where our previous coach showed the same whether we just advanced to the super bowl over the Jets or got thumped by the Saints by 50 points.

7) The potential of having another QB wearing the #12 that is better than any other QB wearing the same # in the league.

9) The joy in winning as the underdog always outweighs the satisfaction from winning as the favorite

I'll miss Peyton and I can only hope that when he retires, he does it next to Irsay and I can't wait to go to Canton to see him join the HOF. Go Horse!

PreManningColtsFan

number 7 made me chuckle a bit..

I have never agreed with number 8, at least in that it was a bad thing.

number 7 made me chuckle a bit..

I have never agreed with number 8, at least in that it was a bad thing.

When the feet got happy, more times than not it indicated something bad was about to happen, whether it be an incomplete pass, sack, int, etc. Regardless, I did my best to keep the top ten light, funny, a bit ridiculous and true. I think I touched on all of those. Anyway, I am excited about being the underdog again. It's going to be fun.

I have to partially agree with 9. I love winning, and I would love to win every game, but at the same time I'm a little excited to be near the bottom working our way back up, it'll make the journey more exciting and it'll be wonderful to rub it in the face of all the Colts' haters that we earned out way back up to the top.

4) With all rebuilding, we will have a new brand of Colts football that is looking more and more like it's built by solid O line combined with a tailback, that's right a tailback with the horseshoe on their helmet, and a 3-4 scheme.

5) No more Polian speak.

PreManningColtsFan

Ill agree with those except.......psst it was 62-7 thats 55 points, but point well made well 8, but only cause like already said, if Peyton ran everyone in Indiana held their breath, Im not talking about technique, more often then not that was flawless

When the feet got happy, more times than not it indicated something bad was about to happen, whether it be an incomplete pass, sack, int, etc. Regardless, I did my best to keep the top ten light, funny, a bit ridiculous and true. I think I touched on all of those. Anyway, I am excited about being the underdog again. It's going to be fun.

He never had happy feet. It's sad that so many people do not understand that concept. If you want to see happy feet watch Vick when he fails to read a defense and gets confused and bails on the play. That is happy feet.

Manning's chopping/pumping of the feet is a flawless technique that allows him to throw at any given second.

I actually don't mind Polian speak...and in fact, I think Grigs is doing it very well. He barely says anything to the media to show his hand.

As for Peyton's happy feet, I think that was a great attribute to have as a QB. If you play flat-footed, you aren't able to move as easily and are more susceptible to getting sacked

He never had happy feet. It's sad that so many people do not understand that concept. If you want to see happy feet watch Vick when he fails to read a defense and gets confused and bails on the play. That is happy feet.

Manning's chopping/pumping of the feet is a flawless technique that allows him to throw at any given second.

Yes!!!

I am sure you are 100% correct. Regardless, the happy feat never gave me the warm and fuzzies. Always made me nervous.

I actually don't mind Polian speak...and in fact, I think Grigs is doing it very well. He barely says anything to the media to show his hand.

As for Peyton's happy feet, I think that was a great attribute to have as a QB. If you play flat-footed, you aren't able to move as easily and are more susceptible to getting sacked

Only time will tell on Grigson. For now, I think he has done the best with the situation. It was obvious Irsay was calling all the shots on the cuts and Manning and Grigson remained essentially a mute on the entire topic. I think as he continues to put his stamp on this team, he will become more animated and fan friendly. It will be interesting to see if he does the traditional Monday night talk show and if it gets streamed on the internet. With us being more of a nat'l franchise now, it would only be fan friendly. As a displaced Colts fan in Texas, I for one would appreciate this. In regards to the Happy Feat, I mention that on a personal level. I realize it's good mechanics and why it's a good thing, but with it being my post, it was something that always made me nervous. That and the fact his feet seemed to always be more noticeably happy than any of the other 31 qb's in the league.

"Who" is going to eat me alive and why?

The die hard Manning only fans will misinterpret what you are saying and start tearing their clothes, setting fire to Lucas Oil and will hunt you down with duct tape and bikini wax. Just watch your back... :scared:

Agreed. A commentator who was just plain SAD came up with that phrase. No disrespect intended to the OP, by the way. Here is a good article on the 'happy feet'.

http://www.denverpos...ert/ci_13954497

Only time will tell on Grigson. For now, I think he has done the best with the situation. It was obvious Irsay was calling all the shots on the cuts and Manning and Grigson remained essentially a mute on the entire topic. I think as he continues to put his stamp on this team, he will become more animated and fan friendly. It will be interesting to see if he does the traditional Monday night talk show and if it gets streamed on the internet. With us being more of a nat'l franchise now, it would only be fan friendly. As a displaced Colts fan in Texas, I for one would appreciate this. In regards to the Happy Feat, I mention that on a personal level. I realize it's good mechanics and why it's a good thing, but with it being my post, it was something that always made me nervous. That and the fact his feet seemed to always be more noticeably happy than any of the other 31 qb's in the league.

6. I'm not sure about the emotion thing, I mean Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, George Siefert,& Tom Flores were not exciting guys on the sidelines, all won superbowls.not everyone can be as emotional as Scott Linehan. Now if the players are as emotional (team leaders) as an emotional coach then yes !

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 27, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, March 27, 2012 - inflammatory

The die hard Manning only fans will misinterpret what you are saying and start tearing their clothes, setting fire to Lucas Oil and will hunt you down with duct tape and bikini wax. Just watch your back... :scared:

LOL.......got it. Well those punks weren't in the stands when we sucked before Manning and personally, I don't care if they show up now that he's gone. The true blue fans who were in the stands in the early 90's watching our hapless Colts are the real fans. I can remember being so pumped as a middle schooler going to a game knowing it was sold out. I can still remember seeing the "NBC" signs when the Dolphins and Marino came to town that spelled "nobody beats clayton". Oh a lot of memories in the old dome before Peyton which is what made our run with him all the more special. All of the Post Manning Colts fans who want to mail it in now that he's gone can go out the door with him. I am here for the long haul and am excited about our future and new brand of football. Lord help our Colts!

6. I'm not sure about the emotion thing, I mean Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, George Siefert,& Tom Flores were not exciting guys on the sidelines, all won superbowls.not everyone can be as emotional as Scott Linehan. Now if the players are as emotional (team leaders) as an emotional coach then yes !

Again, all respect to our coaches, particularly Dungy. This is a personal preference. As a man, I loved Dungy and Caldwell. You can't hate on anyone deep in moral character and won't sell that out for anything. I just like a more emotional leader wearing a head set. I also think Dungy and particularly Caldwell, got outcoached many times during critical game moments. Whether it was *ic challenges or calling timeouts, which Dungy did at Tennessee that cost us the game by Bironas hitting a stupid 60 yard fg or the infamous one made by Caldwell against the JETS.

Again, all respect to our coaches, particularly Dungy. This is a personal preference. As a man, I loved Dungy and Caldwell. You can't hate on anyone deep in moral character and won't sell that out for anything. I just like a more emotional leader wearing a head set. I also think Dungy and particularly Caldwell, got outcoached many times during critical game moments. Whether it was *ic challenges or calling timeouts, which Dungy did at Tennessee that cost us the game by Bironas hitting a stupid 60 yard fg or the infamous one made by Caldwell against the JETS.

UGH...I keep trying to mind wipe that playoff game out of my mind.

And thank you for trying to bring a positive look at things back to the forum.

No problem. I've been wanting to do this post for awhile but needed to have some personal healing myself. Now that Peyton is officially gone and with another team and seeing the new direction our club is headed along with the uncharacteristic FA activity, new defensive scheme, and a fresh new start beginning with the upcoming draft, it has me excited. The future is here, it just happened sooner than we all expected.

4) With all rebuilding, we will have a new brand of Colts football that is looking more and more like it's built by solid O line combined with a fullback, that's right a fullback with the horseshoe on their helmet, and a 3-4 scheme.

5) No more Polian speak.

PreManningColtsFan

1. No need to rest starters if not in the playoffs, where is the upside?

2a. A spirited pre season is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

2b. No argument

4. Fullbacks are glorified blockers so why is it important to have one on the roster?

5. Grigson will find a way to talk out both sides of his mouth too.

6. Dungy was pretty stoic and look where that got them. Rex Ryan is emotional, what did it get him?

7. Ohhh yeahhhh!

8. I already miss the footwork, thought it made for quicker response time.

9. Unless the favorite comes from behind in the last 2 minutes.

10.Okay, another good point but it also leaves the team more open to fumbles and sacks.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I just need better reasons than these to appreciate the change in quarterbacks.

I like what you're doing, but I don't believe having Peyton meant we couldn't have most of those things you listed. Peyton didn't demand a soft cover 2 shell defense, he didn't make Kelvin Hayden one of the hightest paid corners in the league, he didn't pick Caldwell as his coach. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

The 10 things you listed and having Peyton Manning are not mutually inclusive.

2b. No argument

4. Fullbacks are glorified blockers so why is it important to have one on the roster?

6. Dungy was pretty stoic and look where that got them. Rex Ryan is emotional, what did it get him?

7. Ohhh yeahhhh!

10.Okay, another good point but it also leaves the team more open to fumbles and sacks.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I just need better reasons than these to appreciate the change in quarterbacks.

As far as my #1 reason, your counter point isn't necessarily true. We have a change in coaching and management. The Saints, Packers and PATS all had their shots at greatness and went for it. Not having decide to rest your starters doesn't mean you are going to suck. I won't go into countering the rest of your points to mine. As I outlined, I said some of these tongue in cheek. My advice to you is to get over it. Peyton is gone and isn't coming back. Our future is bright and while people inherantly resist change, change is good and exciting. This is our team.......move forward with them.

2b. No argument

7. Ohhh yeahhhh!

As I outlined, I said some of these tongue in cheek. My advice to you is to get over it. Peyton is gone and isn't coming back.

I intentionally did not mention his name because I am over it I just don't buy some of your logic and somehow I missed the "tongue in cheek" part, for that I apologize.

I like what you're doing, but I don't believe having Peyton meant we couldn't have most of those things you listed. Peyton didn't demand a soft cover 2 shell defense, he didn't make Kelvin Hayden one of the hightest paid corners in the league, he didn't pick Caldwell as his coach. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

The 10 things you listed and having Peyton Manning are not mutually inclusive.

Indeed........but it all falls under the realm of change and new direction. It would have taken me forever to come up with 10 reasons exclusive to Manning and several were mentioned tongue in cheek and good fun. We've had enough doom and gloom for the past 3 weeks. Time to lift the clouds, open the blinds, let the sunshine come in and see that our future is bright. Personally, I am sad to see it go and even more sad our run didn't come with more rings. But the excitement is in rebuilding and I can't wait to be a part of it.

Indeed........but it all falls under the realm of change and new direction. It would have taken me forever to come up with 10 reasons exclusive to Manning and several were mentioned tongue in cheek and good fun. We've had enough doom and gloom for the past 3 weeks. Time to lift the clouds, open the blinds, let the sunshine come in and see that our future is bright. Personally, I am sad to see it go and even more sad our run didn't come with more rings. But the excitement is in rebuilding and I can't wait to be a part of it.

Can't say I'm not pumped about where our franchise might be headed for the future.

Better reasons- Peytons 36 and 4 neck surgeries, Luck early twenties can throw 70+ yard bombs and can run, also more valid then either one of them first two, ALOT of cap room come next year to build AROUND luck not stockpile just the offense but to build for the defense as well, also that whole fullback being the run blocker worked out pretty decent last year until injuries to over

Great reasons. I didn't say he was wrong, I just disagree with some of his reasoning.

Better reasons- Peytons 36 and 4 neck surgeries, Luck early twenties can throw 70+ yard bombs and can run, also more valid then either one of them first two, ALOT of cap room come next year to build AROUND luck not stockpile just the offense but to build for the defense as well, also that whole fullback being the run blocker worked out pretty decent last year until injuries to over

Mike Vick can do those things too.. Would he be an upgrade to our previous QB??