Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reflecting on 2018 coaching search- Matt Nagy

ColtStrong2013

Just going back to these reports back in ‘18 when Nagy thought the Bears were a better situation. I know the Colts denied ever offering or the like, but there’s no way Nagy was not one of the top picks for them at that time. Nevertheless, I hope we blow the Bears out of the water so I can see Matt Nagy’s face. 

I just don't see the success continuing over their in Chicago when you have two starting quarterbacks creating all sorts of drama and distraction. If you watch any of the abundance of former players doing podcasts and stuff like that, they all say distractions play a huge part in a teams success. Chances are half the team wants Foles, half the team wants Trubisky. The coaches obviously want Foles... who really knows what the front office really wants. The locker room has to be an interesting place. It has disaster written all over it,

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Just going back to these reports back in ‘18 when Nagy thought the Bears were a better situation. I know the Colts denied ever offering or the like, but there’s no way Nagy was not one of the top picks for them at that time. Nevertheless, I hope we blow the Bears out of the water so I can see Matt Nagy’s face. 

You can't really blame any coach for wanting to know the way the team he's inheriting is trending.  It's part of the decision process.  After all, the leash is very short in the NFL to be a winner.

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You can't really blame any coach for wanting to know the way the team he's inheriting is trending.  It's part of the decision process.  After all, the leash is very short in the NFL to be a winner.

I understand. He also has to perform this year after a 3-0 start or else he’s heading into year 4 on the hot seat. 

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I understand. He also has to perform this year after a 3-0 start or else he’s heading into year 4 on the hot seat. 

It's always fun reading the other teams boards.  They have their writer's predictions on the SB Nation site, Windy City Gridiron, and 7 out of 10 picked Da Bears (no surprise).

I think you're right, Nagy is probably the only 3-0 coach on the hot seat.  

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It's always fun reading the other teams boards.  They have their writer's predictions on the SB Nation site, Windy City Gridiron, and 7 out of 10 picked Da Bears (no surprise).

I think you're right, Nagy is probably the only 3-0 coach on the hot seat.  

I doubt very seriously any coach is on the hot seat this year. What franchise wants to go through the hiring process in the middle of covid? It’ll be easier to chalk a bad season up to covid and a difficult offseason and hope ‘21 is more normal (not likely) 

22 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I doubt very seriously any coach is on the hot seat this year. What franchise wants to go through the hiring process in the middle of covid? It’ll be easier to chalk a bad season up to covid and a difficult offseason and hope ‘21 is more normal (not likely) 

Probably not during the season (although I wouldn't put money on that).  But there will be a black Monday, the day after the last game of the regular season.  Covid cure or not.  I'd put money on that.

17 minutes ago, PManTheGreatest said:

Matt Nagy is 23-12 and that's with having Trubisky as his QB for the first 2 years. I doubt very much that Nagy is on the hot seat.

He was 8-8 last year and many are saying this team is a fraud starting 3-0. My comment simply stated if he blows this season after starting 3-0 and with the whole qb situation. He WILL be on the hot seat heading into 4th year which is basically a contract year. Ryan Pace too. 

28 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Probably not during the season (although I wouldn't put money on that).  But there will be a black Monday, the day after the last game of the regular season.  Covid cure or not.  I'd put money on that.

we’ll see. I just don’t see the usual coaching carousel post season (if we even get there). 

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He was 8-8 last year and many are saying this team is a fraud starting 3-0. My comment simply stated if he blows this season after starting 3-0 and with the whole qb situation. He WILL be on the hot seat heading into 4th year which is basically a contract year. Ryan Pace too. 

His worst ever record in a season is 8-8 and again, that's with Mitch, a QB he found on the roster. At already 3-0, they can go 6-7 the rest of the way and still make the playoffs. Personally, I think 8-8 makes the playoffs in the NFC since they added the number of playoff spots. He still has yet to play the Panthers, Jaguars, Texans, Vikings(twice), and the Lions once more. Again, there would have to be some catastrophe for him to get fired. They would have to finish the season with less than 5 wins for that to happen. I don't see that happening. I think their team actually got slightly better with Foles. There's no way he's on the hot seat. 

I only know so much about this team because my wife is a Bears fan. 

I really doubt Nagy would be on the hot seat post season. Purely my opinion, but they should be better without MT behind center. They really stayed the course with him, when they probably shouldn't have. Not saying Foles is the answer, but I'd take him over MT. 

As far as our coaching search, saw Simms either this AM or yesterday talking about Reich, and mentioned that really no teams wanted him. Simms wasn't bashing Reich at all, and actually said he was impressed with the job Frank has done.

For me, the jury is still out. I've seen good and bad. He gets a pass for last year. He has no excuses this year. I love him as a guy though.

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I really doubt Nagy would be on the hot seat post season. Purely my opinion, but they should be better without MT behind center. They really stayed the course with him, when they probably shouldn't have. Not saying Foles is the answer, but I'd take him over MT. 

As far as our coaching search, saw Simms either this AM or yesterday talking about Reich, and mentioned that really no teams wanted him. Simms wasn't bashing Reich at all, and actually said he was impressed with the job Frank has done.

For me, the jury is still out. I've seen good and bad. He gets a pass for last year. He has no excuses this year. I love him as a guy though.

Pretty much agree with everything.  I was thinking, has there ever been a great coach without a great QB, or instead, a great defense?  I remember my buddies in Cleveland hated BB.  Gruden won a SB with a game manager, but with a great D (thanks to TD).  Contrary to that, we've seen quite a few great QBs with bad coaches, so the inverse isn't necessarily true.

I'm not saying it's easy to coach when you have a franchise QB, but it sure helps.  Reich had one year with one.

18 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I would think that Adam Gase, who's Jets lost 2 games in embarrassing fashion within 5 days and were easily defeated by a previously winless team, has got to be on the chopping block.

Another would probably be Atlanta's Dan Quinn, who also leads a winless team that has completely imploded in some of those losses.

Both Gase & Quinn were surprisingly hired by their current teams after unsuccessful stints coaching other NFL teams, Miami & Jacksonville - I feel this gives the both of them a shorter rope than most coaches would normally have and if their teams don't show marked improvement in a hurry, their Owners may believe that teams has quit on the coach and that would be fatal for either of them going forward.

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I would think that Adam Gase, who's Jets lost 2 games in embarrassing fashion within 5 days and were easily defeated by a previously winless team, has got to be on the chopping block.

Another would probably be Atlanta's Dan Quinn, who also leads a winless team that has completely imploded in some of those losses.

Both Gase & Quinn were surprisingly hired by their current teams after unsuccessful stints coaching other NFL teams, Miami & Jacksonville - I feel this gives the both of them a shorter rope than most coaches would normally have and if their teams don't show marked improvement in a hurry, their Owners may believe that teams has quit on the coach and that would be fatal for either of them going forward.

I agree that Gase is likely gone. Quinn made it to the Super Bowl, and his teams have blown big leads (esp this year)  or else they would be considered a successful franchise. I think eventually they will move on from Matt Ryan and bring a whole new change in including GM/HC. But that could be pushed back. Who knows?

3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I think you have Dan Quinn confused with Gus Bradley as the Jaguars coach. Probably because of their previous defensive coaching in Seattle.

2 hours ago, BrickHead said:

I think you have Dan Quinn confused with Gus Bradley as the Jaguars coach. Probably because of their previous defensive coaching in Seattle.

You're right, I did confuse the 2. Bradley is now the Chargers' DC, and he's been doing a decent job.

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Pretty much agree with everything.  I was thinking, has there ever been a great coach without a great QB, or instead, a great defense?  I remember my buddies in Cleveland hated BB.  Gruden won a SB with a game manager, but with a great D (thanks to TD).  Contrary to that, we've seen quite a few great QBs with bad coaches, so the inverse isn't necessarily true.

I'm not saying it's easy to coach when you have a franchise QB, but it sure helps.  Reich had one year with one.

He's got one in year 3 too. I'm still a little down on him for 2020 still due to the Jax game plan, but still optimistic. Some of the game plans/personnel/play calls still makes me scratch my head. It's early though. After the next two games, my expectations will be high.

On 10/1/2020 at 4:16 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

Well, I guess those seats can get hot even with COVID.  I’m still surprised Gase has a job today. 

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well, I guess those seats can get hot even with COVID.  I’m still surprised Gase has a job today. 

I hoped O’Brien stayed (lol) but I also did not expect them to start 0-4. They’ve had plenty of issues organizationally in the last few years and made some really bad moves. 

17 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I hoped O’Brien stayed (lol) but I also did not expect them to start 0-4. They’ve had plenty of issues organizationally in the last few years and made some really bad moves. 

I'm with you on O'Brien.  As a Colts fan, you have to love how he's running that team as a GM.  He'd make Grigson proud.  I also hope that Marrone and Caldwell stick around.

The Titans have a good coach in Vrabel (I may be a bit prejudice for an OSU guy)  And you have to say Robinson has them being consistent, if anything.

I won't be surprised if Quinn and Gase follow shortly.  

Archived