Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh boy. Chad Kelly cut

By the way, it is entirely possible that we'll get pounded badly the second half of the season and Rivers retires and goes and coaches high school ball.  If Rivers fades with age related arm weakness late in the season, or we go to the playoffs but he lays an egg, we could also say thanks, but no thanks.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cutting Kelly might mean the FO is pleased with Eason's progress.  The cut could be a sign of good things.

Obviously,  Ballard is making room for Scott tolzien to come back.

Posted Images

Just now, JPFolks said:

By the way, it is entirely possible that we'll get pounded badly the second half of the season and Rivers retires and goes and coaches high school ball.  If Rivers fades with age related arm weakness late in the season, or we go to the playoffs but he lays an egg, we could also say thanks, but no thanks.  

So true

26 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i know you think its a joke but kelly has so much talent and is so much better then jacoby.   i dont get why we keep him around he is horrible .   kelly should be number 2 QB while eason learns and practices

I don't know where you got your opinion, but I hope you kept the receipt.

• Haha 5
12 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Perhaps because he's not likely to get arrested for home invasion or drunk driving.  He's a functional backup who fits in with a tight knit team, doesn't cause strife and accepts his role like a professional. 

this isnt a church group though, his charges were mostly dropped and petty.  guys have done MUCH worse and kept playing 

jacoby lost me with how he played in new Orleans, should have been benched for that.  instead we saw two more games of it.  

35 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

You guys can bet on jacoby give me chad kelly , he can make it work . He has that tim tebow magic , he doesnt need to be in a system and go through progressions . Just give him a couple of his mates and the ball and he will move the chains , they dont call him swag kelly for nothing .  I love  chads ability to just wing it like tebow does . it may make his coaches mad but it works .

you had me for a minute there.  Well done!

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

this isnt a church group though, his charges were mostly dropped and petty.  guys have done MUCH worse and kept playing 

jacoby lost me with how he played in new Orleans, should have been benched for that.  instead we saw two more games of it.  

Was this sarcasm?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Was this sarcasm?

no why would it be?

i guess you didnt watch the games in question.  the saints game was an embarrassing  bench worthy performance,  i guess you didnt see it

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i know you think its a joke but kelly has so much talent and is so much better then jacoby.   i dont get why we keep him around he is horrible .   kelly should be number 2 QB while eason learns and practices

Forget our own coaches and FO, Chad Kelly’s been available to any team in the league needing another QB on the roster.  It should tell you something that nobody’s done it.

The NFL is a small community and they all have a pretty good idea who is who.  I’m not saying they don’t make mistakes.  But my point is that it’s not just our staff that has been lukewarm on his prospects.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Was this sarcasm?

read that article i posted, he proceeded to play two more games like that

chad would have been more entertaining.  im not some ultra conservative that cant get over his petty charges 

Just to recap:  (there are my general board observations, not a report of any particular posters history)

Minimize past discretions by player....."he's gonna straighten out with my team".

Take preseason performance against 2nd and 3rd string players, and extrapolate that to 1st string abilities.

Scream for increased playing time every time we lose..... or our starting QB struggles.

Become incensed when he is put on the practice squad, sighting absolute practice squad pilfering by another team. 

Ignore that player was not picked up by another team. 

Become incensed when he is not given playing time in what you consider, a "lost" season. 

Again, become incensed when he is put on the practice squad, sighting absolute practice squad pilfering by another team. 

Again, ignore that player was not picked up by another team. 

Sorry, but I am losing the historic order....what was next?:nutz:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably a good thing, so all the haters can celebrate and get over it lol.

My only hope is he didn't get cut for falling of the wagon and did something stupid again.

And only hope he keep on the straight and narrow regardless of what he does in the future.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Probably a good thing, so all the haters can celebrate and get over it lol.

My only hope is he didn't get cut for falling of the wagon and did something stupid again.

And only hope he keep on the straight and narrow regardless of what he does in the future.

He will probably go to another team and win the SB :sarcasm:, if that happens I will do this Homer Simpson GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He will probably go to another team and win the SB :sarcasm:, if that happens I will do this Homer Simpson GIF

The timing is a little strange. My gut says either they are now confident in Eason or CK did something wrong. We really didn't need to make space. Not that I really care lol. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, coming on strong said:

because he is horrible .  2942 yards passing 18 tds  6 picks in a season is really bad .  i bet the worse rated QB in the nfl this year puts up better numbers .  I dont get what people see in him. I gave him a chance we saw him play two full seasons and he is trent dilfer 2.0.

Thats because he is a back up. He was 7-7 last year, thats about what I expect from a back up. (I'm not counting the Pittsburgh game because he left during the 2nd, but heck, he was winning that game) He went 5-2 before getting injured and coming back to play with an injury. He is overpaid but his contract is off the books next year so who cares what we pay him. We aren't hurting for cap this season. He has had success running this offense and thats the type of player I want to step in for my starter if need be.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Just to recap:  (there are my general board observations, not a report of any particular posters history)

Minimize past discretions by player....."he's gonna straighten out with my team".

Take preseason performance against 2nd and 3rd string players, and extrapolate that to 1st string abilities.

Scream for increased playing time every time we lose..... or our starting QB struggles.

Become incensed when he is put on the practice squad, sighting absolute practice squad pilfering by another team. 

Ignore that player was not picked up by another team. 

Become incensed when he is not given playing time in what you consider, a "lost" season. 

Again, become incensed when he is put on the practice squad, sighting absolute practice squad pilfering by another team. 

Again, ignore that player was not picked up by another team. 

Sorry, but I am losing the historic order....what was next?:nutz:

I'm with you.   The only minor difference is that the Colts were out of the playoffs and could have/should have put Kelly in to play in some game action at some point.   

On 9/30/2020 at 3:47 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Guess between the 2 Super Bowl QB's nephews Mark Rypien is having a better week than Jim Kelly.  Brett starting tomorrow in nationally televised game , I always liked mark long before he came to Indy and his comeback 3 seasons after his sons tragic death was a great storyline. I expect Brett to rip it up tomorrow, Chad well like some have said he may get the Phillip (He wasnt P.J. when he was here) Walker treatment unless someone else grabs him for their p.s. (Possibly Chargers).

Kid started very strong hit the wall though

On 9/30/2020 at 5:11 PM, coming on strong said:

You guys can bet on jacoby give me chad kelly , he can make it work .

Apparently, he can't.  He can't even make a practice squad...

He has that tim tebow magic , he doesnt need to be in a system and go through progressions .  Just give him a couple of his mates and the ball and he will move the chains , they dont call him swag kelly for nothing .

He definitely needs to go through progressions.  This is the NFL, not your backyard.

I love  chads ability to just wing it like tebow does . it may make his coaches mad but it works .

Do you not remember Tebow "winging it"?!?  There was a reason it made his coaches (and everyone else) mad.  It was awful.  He was an NFL fullback with half an arm.

Again, this is the NFL, not your backyard.  There's a reason Tebow didn't last, and there's a reason Kelly hasn't even gotten the chance.

That's not to say that Kelly is done.  He may put it all together and become a starter in this league.  But it will require a lot of work, and yes, being able to go through progressions and make smart decisions (both on and off the field).

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Do you not remember Tebow "winging it"?!?  There was a reason it made his coaches (and everyone else) mad.  It was awful.  He was an NFL fullback with half an arm.

Again, this is the NFL, not your backyard.  There's a reason Tebow didn't last, and there's a reason Kelly hasn't even gotten the chance.

That's not to say that Kelly is done.  He may put it all together and become a starter in this league.  But it will require a lot of work, and yes, being able to go through progressions and make smart decisions (both on and off the field).

If only Kelly could be another Tebow! 

Player  - G-Y/A-TD-INT-Rating

Tebow--35-6.7-17--9--75.3

Brissett-40-6.6-31-13--84.5

• Thanks 1

One other possibility to float....,

It might have been Kelly who asked for his release.   Maybe he sees just how good Eason looks and thinks he’s going to be 4th string all this year And maybe no better than 3rd string next year.   Maybe Chad is looking fir a better opportunity elsewhere?  

Or...   maybe we re-sign him later this season.   Since no one has commented (Kelly, Ballard, Reich) none of us knows. We’re all making best guesses... 

On 9/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

If Eason is anywhere close to what Ballard thinks he is, then I 100% agree. Kelly held his spot long enough until Eason may or may not of proven himself to Ballard and Reich.

Tell Me this. Kelly never got to play with the first stringers, it was against scrubs in the preseason. He can't be any good.

now we have this Eason guy. he will just be another Jeff George, maybe? Maybe not. He has not even played in a live game and somehow the front office is exited and impressed. The same front office that gave brissett a bunch of money for absolutely no return. 

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I see Kelly going back to Denver.  They're having some serious issues at QB right now.

He would be 5th string behind a healthy Lock, Rypien,Bortles and Driskell probably the worst place he could go. Now Rams with only Wolford or Titans with Woodside both XFL'ers sitting second string would make at least some sense.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Maybe the patriots?  Wouldn't that just jerk peoples' chain.  All they have behind Cam right now is Hoyer and a rookie who failed to beat out Hoyer..

Especially now that Newton tested positive for covid and is out for at least the next game, maybe longer.