Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh boy. Chad Kelly cut

CheezyColt

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

I expect him to be back in a similar fashion to how we handled Phillip Walker several years ago. Release him and get him back on the roster depending on whether we have any immediate need this current week for another position(with WR getting hit with injuries we need more WRs these days it seems)

edit: well, that of course is unless he's done something stupid behind the scenes to lose Reich and Ballard's trust. 

You are probably right...so people should hold off their celebrations for a week or so. On the surface level...cutting Kelly to make room for Krishawn Hogan makes little sense. I would think Kelly has a mobile scout team QB would be more valuable than some guy who has one career NFL catch in three seasons...and has been on IR every season he has played. So we will see.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Myles said:

Darn.  I was thinking that if Rivers retired after this season and Brissett went elsewhere that Eason would be the starter and Kelly the backup.  

Its early in the season to say this, more speculation:  Rivers seems to be playing with some pop, not showing his age too much, so the projection cold be that Rivers could start next year too, with Eason as backup.  

The Kelly cut could simply be an isolated move not related to Rivers or Eason, or maybe he fell off the wagon again, but I'd like to think that its a sign that management  believes that both Rivers and Eason have the ability to be here next season, with Eason having more of a presence than this year. 

Guess between the 2 Super Bowl QB's nephews Mark Rypien is having a better week than Jim Kelly.  Brett starting tomorrow in nationally televised game , I always liked mark long before he came to Indy and his comeback 3 seasons after his sons tragic death was a great storyline. I expect Brett to rip it up tomorrow, Chad well like some have said he may get the Phillip (He wasnt P.J. when he was here) Walker treatment unless someone else grabs him for their p.s. (Possibly Chargers).

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Cutting Kelly might mean the FO is pleased with Eason's progress.  The cut could be a sign of good things.

That's pretty likely.  Why people are so hungry for Chad Kelly has never made sense to me.  Without the "connection" he may not have sniffed our practice squad or any other after being released by Denver. With the PDM, he might make #3 somewhere after an injury.  He's a low end Practice squad guy. The love affair some have had seems baseless like a little girl gazing into her Justin Bieber poster. 

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

That's pretty likely.  Why people are so hungry for Chad Kelly has never made sense to me.  Without the "connection" he may not have sniffed our practice squad or any other after being released by Denver. With the PDM, he might make #3 somewhere after an injury.  He's a low end Practice squad guy. The love affair some have had seems baseless like a little girl gazing into her Justin Bieber poster. 

That's a pretty good analogy and sums it up quite well. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Its early in the season to say this, more speculation:  Rivers seems to be playing with some pop, not showing his age too much, so the projection cold be that Rivers could start next year too, with Eason as backup.  

The Kelly cut could simply be an isolated move not related to Rivers or Eason, or maybe he fell off the wagon again, but I'd like to think that its a sign that management  believes that both Rivers and Eason have the ability to be here next season, with Eason having more of a presence than this year. 

It wouldn't completely shock me to end up with Brissett as our long term back up here. For the first time it seems like th NFL is pretty stable at QB, especially with 2 more top quality QBs at least coming out.  Perhap if Jacoby gets no solid offers to start, and if Eason is a Go, they keep those two. 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

On no, trust me. The legend of the most talked about practice squad player in the history of Colt message boarding shall live on and continue to raise the bar........

200.gif

Don't forget Roy Hall and Mike Hart. Our memories are too short lived, unfortunately!!! :) 

Just now, JPFolks said:

It wouldn't completely shock me to end up with Brissett as our long term back up here. For the first time it seems like th NFL is pretty stable at QB, especially with 2 more top quality QBs at least coming out.  Perhaps if Jacoby gets no solid offers to start, and if Eason is a Go, they keep those two. 

Even backups get paid $7-8 mil. a year, Jacoby should give us back money, just kidding. :) 

If that is his ballpark, it is money better spent elsewhere for us. I think Eason learning in the line of fire is the best thing for him should Rivers return and Eason ever had to play backup. If Covid sticks around for a while which it likely could, might be wise to carry 3 QBs that know the system now. 

eh, no on will really miss him

just got tired of watching jacoby struggle so bad late last year.  3-4 of those games were awful, chad could have done no worse.  re watch the saints and jaguars games if you dont believe me

rivers is the present and near future

2 hours ago, TheMose said:

Why would we want a team to take JB off our hands?

because he is horrible .  2942 yards passing 18 tds  6 picks in a season is really bad .  i bet the worse rated QB in the nfl this year puts up better numbers .  I dont get what people see in him. I gave him a chance we saw him play two full seasons and he is trent dilfer 2.0.

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Even backups get paid $7-8 mil. a year, Jacoby should give us back money, just kidding. :) 

If that is his ballpark, it is money better spent elsewhere for us. I think Eason learning in the line of fire is the best thing for him should Rivers return and Eason ever had to play backup. If Covid sticks around for a while which it likely could, might be wise to carry 3 QBs that know the system now. 

Oh, I agree. If Rivers comes back, then it is him and Eason. If JB goes elsewhere for a year, it also wouldn't shock me for him to come back as our backup. 7-8 million for holding a clipboard and stepping in to be the hero now and then is a good gig if you can get it. This staff LOVES them some JB. If they can make him the next Frank Reich, and the reality being he is not a legit starter, and at best would be a one year placeholder elsewhere, he may be back. 

54 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

wouldn't completely shock me to end up with Brissett as our long term back up here.

It's time to move on. Brissett is a good teammate and solid backup, but he's easily replaceable.  

On this type of team, with what he's being asked to do, Rivers could easily play two more years.  Just go with Rivers and Eason.  It gives you a few years to decide whether you want to turn it over to Eason or not.  If not, keep drafting.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

because he is horrible .  2942 yards passing 18 tds  6 picks in a season is really bad .  i bet the worse rated QB in the nfl this year puts up better numbers .  I dont get what people see in him. I gave him a chance we saw him play two full seasons and he is trent dilfer 2.0.

Perhaps because he's not likely to get arrested for home invasion or drunk driving.  He's a functional backup who fits in with a tight knit team, doesn't cause strife and accepts his role like a professional.  He can go in for a game or two and play functional game manager with low turnovers.  They gave Kelly way more chances to impress than most any other Mr Irrelevant ever gets.  He didn't impress even an overly friendly and supportive staff towards him as the #4 QB.  AND we desperately need WRs in the house as we're in some trouble there.  

It's funny, I thought perhaps folks were simply trolling for a chuckle.  But it seems we have some true believers in the Church of Chad.  

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

It's time to move on. Brissett is a good teammate and solid backup, but he's easily replaceable.  

On this type of team, with what he's being asked to do, Rivers could easily play two more years.  Just go with Rivers and Eason.  It gives you a few years to decide whether you want to turn it over to Eason or not.  If not, keep drafting.

Of course.. but would it TRULY shock you if they found a way to bring him back? They love them some JB just like some love them some CK.  

You guys can bet on jacoby give me chad kelly , he can make it work . He has that tim tebow magic , he doesnt need to be in a system and go through progressions . Just give him a couple of his mates and the ball and he will move the chains , they dont call him swag kelly for nothing .  I love  chads ability to just wing it like tebow does . it may make his coaches mad but it works .

Archived