Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alright folks, time for your Colts Mailbag questions

The Colts are on a little bit of a roll, and now go on the road to take on the Chicago Bears, who do match up well against Indy in some regards, but certainly haven't had a smooth road to this point, despite their undefeated record.

What questions do you have this week for the Colts Mailbag? Very interested to see what you've got this time around. Thanks as always.

• Like 6

The Bears have announced that Nick Foles will be the starting quarterback going forward. What are your thoughts on this decision? How will the Colts prepare differently for a Foles-led Bears offense as opposed to one with Trubisky at QB?

Thank you. :)

• Like 4

The forecast for Sunday's game is 54° with 10-20 mph winds, oh yeah and some rain.

Sounding like it might be a sloppy game.

Any concern on if team is ready to play in the elements? Thoughts on benefits/concerns for all 3 units.?

• Like 4

With the WR so depleted, is there any viable options still unsigned that could REALISTICALLY help out in the short term?  Names like Taylor Gabriel, Demaryius Thomas or even Paul Richardson stand out as guys that could fill the role.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Hey there,

3.8 yards per carry is pretty dismal for a team with an OL this hyped.  Do you think this is a product of the OL performance?  Or perhaps the RB that has gotten the most carries?  JT has had 48 of the 93 total carries for the Colts.  I've watched him fall into the same trap that plagued Trent Richardson while he was here:  He stops himself.  He hesitates and jitters behind his blockers, looking for an opportunity for a big play.  And the defense tackles him there at the spot.  Momentum is his friend.  He should keep going, even if the big play opportunity doesn't appear, and gain three more yards simply by momentum.  Needs to break himself of this collegiate habit.  In the NFL, everybody is fast.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Hey there,

3.8 yards per carry is pretty dismal for a team with an OL this hyped.  Do you think this is a product of the OL performance?  Or perhaps the RB that has gotten the most carries?  JT has had 48 of the 93 total carries for the Colts.  I've watched him fall into the same trap that plagued Trent Richardson while he was here:  He stops himself.  He hesitates and jitters behind his blockers, looking for an opportunity for a big play.  And the defense tackles him there at the spot.  Momentum is his friend.  He should keep going, even if the big play opportunity doesn't appear, and gain three more yards simply by momentum.  Needs to break himself of this collegiate habit.  In the NFL, everybody is fast.

I will piggy back on this question as well. Is it the OL? Playcalling or how they are using Taylor? Or is it just Taylor adjusting to the NFL?

Here are a few stats for Taylor and how he ranks against other NFL RBs:

Yards Before Contact/Attempts - 2.6 yards - 27th

Yards After Contact/Attempts - 1.2 yards - 28th

Attempts/Broken Tackle - 48.0 - 34th

Looking at those stats...it appears that it could be some mix of all three of the OL, playcalling and Taylor.

• Like 1

With Trey Burton returning to practice, do you see us running more 2 TE formations with our current depth at WR?

Also, who is your favorite WR to see an increased workload? Pascal would probably be the obvious answer but Fountain was rumored for a breakout before an early injury last year.

The Colts currently rank last on third down efficiency with a 30.3%, compared to last years 41.55%. My question is how are the Colts gonna improve this? As the teams we have played so far have a combined record of 1-8 and haven't been great defensively.

I am cautious of why part of our O is constantly getting injured?

I know I know injuries happen a lot but after dealing with this for years as a Colts fan I wonder if this has anything to do with strength and conditioning?

Parris can't stay healthy to save his life and now Pittman is hurt and Mack is out too.

For the second week now (although someone else asked last week), what's the current status of Turay's progress, and have you heard ANY mention of a possible target date for his return that's different from the timeline for the list he's currently on? For example, is he still feeling pain like he was during camp?

• Like 1

@AWalkerColts, a few questions.

1. We've seen Walker's snaps go down, and Oke's go up. Is this an opponent specific move, or just Oke beating out Walker? Oke really struggled in coverage last week, and if memory serves, had some trouble tackling in the first two games. Any change for the Bears?

2. Along the same lines, Houston's snap counts are a bit less than expected. Only 50% last week. I love a good rotation, just a bit surprised to see AQM and Autry both with more. Anything going on, or just planned rotation.

3. Speaking of AQM, he seems to be embracing the moment. His pressure stats are a very pleasant surprise after hearing he was more a run stuffer in the mold of Sheard. What's the word on him around the locker room, and did he work with someone in the offseason on anything specific?

4. With Pittman out, does Pascal move back to X? If not, Patmon dressing, or Dulin getting more snaps? If he moving back, who should we expect at slot? Committee approach?

5. Tavon Wilson had some very nice stats in limited snaps. Can we expect a larger role and more snaps?

• Like 4
On 9/30/2020 at 7:37 PM, PrideOfAthens17 said:

For the second week now (although someone else asked last week), what's the current status of Turay's progress, and have you heard ANY mention of a possible target date for his return that's different from the timeline for the list he's currently on? For example, is he still feeling pain like he was during camp?

I'll just answer this now to avoid getting a "FOR A THIRD WEEK IN A ROW" stipulation next week: it's usually pretty pointless to ask about a players' recovery weeks before he's set to come back (and by that, I mean, reporters asking Frank Reich or Chris Ballard). Kemoko Turay entered the season on the PUP list, which means he has to sit out at least the first six games of the season, so Week 8 after the bye is the earliest he can play. So maybe next week or heading into the bye week we can start to ask if he's trending in the right direction, but until then, there's not really going to be much of an update.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andrew, and completely understood. But you never know what those like you with access to the team that we don't have may have heard, like if he's still feeling any of the pain we were told during camp that he was still feeling, unless you ask.

So thanks again for the response.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I get they're from one of the biggest TV markets in the country, but you knew that game was going to be a non-competitive snoozefest before it even started. I generally watch every Sunday Night game available, but I can tell you that both Sunday Night games that I largely tuned out of involved Packers-Bears contests (I wanna say there was a game in 2013 or 2014 where the Packers dropped 50+ on the Bears on Sunday Night and you could feel it was going to happen before the game even started).
    • I apologize for today guys. At least you whipped them the first time you played them in Tennessee but lost at home. I have a feeling the Titans are going to whip us when we see them just after Christmas.
    • Question for you and those who LOL with your post. How long have you been following football to ask a juvenile question? Is that even a question to ponder?   I'f I go through the list of South Florida talent, we would need to start a separate website, yes website never mind thread.   Coaches along: Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wanstedt, Pagano, just to name a few. Lets not start with players. On this current team, players not named Marlon Mack or TY Hilton, Anthony Walker, Jacoby Brissett, Al Qudin Muhammad, Xavier Rhodes (Norland High School is less than 20 mins away).   I actually take offense to your question. But to no avail, here is your answer: The Hurricanes hold the record for most players selected in the first round in a single draft (6, in 2004), most first-round draft picks in a two-year period (10, from 2003 to 2004), most first-round draft picks in a three-year period (15, from 2002 through 2004), and most first-round picks in a four-year period (19, from 2001 through 2004). As of the 2015 NFL season, UM has 45 players on NFL rosters, including players on NFL Practice Squads and Injured Reserves and not including current Free Agents, which is the most out of any NCAA program in the nation. As of the 2016 NFL Draft, Miami now has had at least one NFL draft pick in every draft since 1975, each of the last 42 NFL drafts, one of the longest streaks among FBS programs. The Hurricanes once had a streak of 149 consecutive regular season weeks where a former Hurricane scored a touchdown in an NFL game; the streak started in Week 15 of the 2002 NFL regular season and ended in Week 11 of the 2011 season.During the streak, 33 different former Hurricanes scored touchdowns and a total of 661 touchdowns were scored. From the 2001 Miami Hurricanes football team alone, 42 players went on to be drafted into the NFL from (2002-2006), including 17 1st round picks. The Hurricanes have had at least one former player make the Pro Bowl every season since 1985, 31 years in a row.
    • The game wasn't exactly a shock due to the missing players, but some of the themes were not what I expected, how about you guys?    Reason's the game was lost and what's next:  --------------------------------- 1. Rock Ya Sin.  I think Rock is starting to look more like a Draft miss than hit.  They often refer to his wrestling career, and that is never good because it usually comes after a Defensive Hold or Interference.  He really put us in a bind with his first penalty, and drove a stake in our heart when we had them stopped but they got the ball back for a later TD, and arguments could be made it costs us 14 points because it so deflated our team we went into a tailspin and gave up that ridiculous 4th down play setting up the 5th TD.     2. Loss of poise.  I saw several things, but that horrendous punching and disqualification was so deflating to the teams loss of poise in performance that I wouldn't be disappointed to learn they cut him from the team, though I doubt they have the b*lls.  There should be a near zero tolerance for a role player special teamer to lose his cool that egregiously and cost the team at such a critical time.     3. Loss of AC/Poor O-Line Depth may be a fatal blow to any post season success.  We have a long long history of failure without our most important lineman.  Even though he isn't what he once was (and it has been clear to me he's playing hurt as much as simple decline has kicked in) the drop off is so dire after him that I think only with significant shuffling can we keep Rivers upright and healthy and have any chance to run an offense not always in crises.  With a poor LT, Rivers one glaring weakness, immobility is amplified 10X.  I will say his quick release saved as many sacks as Mahommes could have scrambled out of, but the difference is he can't possibly complete meaningful attacks with so little time or free space to launch it to an open receiver.  Frankly his performance under that pressure was the most impressive performance I have seen from him all year.  But heroic sack saving isn't effective offense.  This lack o-line  depth has been something MANY here have been pointing not only all season and pre season, but literally going back to last season as well.  And we had MUCH better depth last year than this.  It was my #1 concern entering the season.  It was obvious.  A brilliant GM keeps making this same error.  He admitted his failure to secure a quality O-Line his first year (after many had begged the previous GM to do the same, and I believe that is truly what cost him his job, or at least deserved to).     Things that were hopeful: ------------------------------ 1.   Hines has proven to be a warrior.  He's our most important and reliable offensive weapon, much like the pass catching RBs of River's SD teams.  We should never see another game without him being a key contributor, no different than TN using their RB to do the same.   Everyone knew Hines was the only thing working, but he kept working nonetheless.  Reich needs to stop abandoning our key offensive weapon.  I even loved when they sent him deep.  I think HE could be used much like TY used to be, leading to...   2. TY Hilton FINALLY utilized by Reich and Rivers.  TY still has tremendous value.  We were reminded of that finally.  He still has moves, he can still contribute.  Sure, he's not 24 years old anymore, but he is likely our second best weapon after Hines still.  But Rivers simply has no chemistry with him.  All game he was forcing throws to Pascal, who I like, but they had Pascal 100% locked down.  The few catches he made were 50-50 balls.     3.  We saw evidence that our TE's are capable.  Why don't we use them, and use them often?  A three headed monster that should be dominating.  I think for us to have success down the stretch, in addition to using Hilton and Hines, our 3 capable TE's need to be all over the place on short to medium routes using their size and capable hands.  We saw late (too late sadly) that they were playing.  It was almost like they weren't through 3 quarters.  Sure, TN had backed up coverage, but dang, those guys have skills and can be hit quickly.     4. Brissett has been used well in short yardage.  I am glad they are building on this.  Even his relative slowness, he looks like a lightning bolt compared to Rivers.  I do think they need to show some short yardage passing so they keep defenses honest helping his future sneaks.     5. Pinter was serviceable compared to LT options.  I hope our center comes back and finishes the season, but Pinter at least showed a little depth at G/C.     What to do in the future now that winning the division is reasonably out of reach; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1. The line woes will continue to be a problem.  Depth is simply unacceptable.  I think if AC is lost for the season that we need to rethink positions, such as whether Smith could move to LT and perhaps use Pinter at RT?  I know he has "short arms" for Pro T play, but he has to be better than the other options.  I think they should strongly alter our game plans to account for lesser line e play.  Rivers didn't have time to let route develop, and with no mobility, they are going to have to improve our tepid screen play and conduct more short routes for multiple TE's in 2 TE sets.  Rivers has to be able to get the ball out quick.  I do think the play calling the past 4 weeks had improved, but something happened this game and we were just too limited until late in the game when they were hitting TEs and TY.   More please.     2. Our D should get back in line with the return of the Covid players.  I like the second half adjustments the D is making but why aren't we making these adjustments in the first half.  35 points is too much and the penalties are devastating.  Is it time to play Carrie instead of Ya Sin?  I think they should seriously consider demoting him for back ups.  He's just too much of a liability.  Perhaps if he came in off the bench we could get off the field more often in the first half.     What did you all think? 
    • I don’t mean to offend, but.....   The population of Buffalo is roughly 255,000.   The population of Chicago is roughly 2.66 million.   Our nation’s third largest city.  Plus, they were playing Green Bay, a team that historically gets good TV ratings even though it is much smaller than Buffalo.  It’s the smallest city to have a major sports franchise.  TV ratings are, in part,  why Indianapolis doesn’t get many National games unless they have someone like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.    It’s not just about the win-loss records. 
  • Members

• IinD

IinD 3,207

• Lancer1

Lancer1 232

• Jared Cisneros

Jared Cisneros 5,810

• wingoal

wingoal 0

Rookie
    • JMichael557

JMichael557 312