Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All time colts team compared to nfl?

Trace Pyott

This is just for fun. I was bored and thinking about our historic franchise and I was amazed at the talent we have assembled on this team in just the time I’ve been a colts fan 1996 to present.  So it got me thinking. What would be your all time colts team?  I’m talking about any players that have played for the colts even if it was for one game. 

I will be the first to admit my football knowledge, especially football before 1995  I’m not too keen on, so you guys could help me with that.  How many teams would you rank ahead of the colts as far as their all time teams are concerned?   Just with the colts I will name my fav all time players 

offense 
1. qb Peyton Manning Or Johnny u 

2 RB Faulk or edge 
3. Wr ...Marvin , Reggie , Hilton 

O line- Glenn, Saturday , big Q 

then look at some of these defensive names lol. 

1. Mathis

2. freeney

3.leonard

4.bob sanders

5. Buckner 

6.houston. 

Those are just off the top of my head and most are from the pretty recent past. Could you imagine a defense with all these guys on the field together and in their primes!  

It blows my mind how much talent we have had on this historic franchise. I didn’t even name Johnny u or the other greats. These would just be my starters.  What other teams do you think  could beat an all colts team if any?  Maybe a pre salary cap juggernaut like the cowboys or niners?  

Dallas Clark, Ken Dilger, Eric Dickerson, Chris Hinton, Ray Donaldson, Tarik Glenn, Billy Brooks. Adam Vinatieri, Jeff Herrod, Pat McAffe and Dominic Rhodes all deserve a mention. 

I could dig into the Baltimore days but that deserves it's own thread. Quite a few hall of famers there.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The best Colts team I have ever seen play was the 2005 Colts where our defense was mauling QBs and our offense was firing. Best team ever. 

They're up there IMHO.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Got beat by Pitt in the first round of the playoffs. 

Yes, but very sad and unfortunate circumstances leading up to that match up. :(

So where do you guys think our franchise ranks among other historic franchises if we competed our best players making up a team vs their best all time players?  Now that I think about it the Steelers would def be a formidable opponent with all the talent they have had over the decades.  Btw I’m not talking about a particular colts team like the 2003 colts etc....im talking our best players from any colts team making up a single colts dream team. How would they stack up?

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

So where do you guys think our franchise ranks among other historic franchises if we competed our best players making up a team vs their best all time players?  Now that I think about it the Steelers would def be a formidable opponent with all the talent they have had over the decades.  Btw I’m not talking about a particular colts team like the 2003 colts etc....im talking our best players from any colts team making up a single colts dream team. How would they stack up?

I think we would have a very very good offense with 2 of the top 5 QBs of all time. Our RB would be EDGE cause both Faulk and Dickerson were much better on other teams. We'd have two top 15 WRs in Marvin Harrison and Raymond Barry with Reggie Wayne being a top 30. A top 5 TE with John Mackey(I think #2) and Dallas Clark at like 25. The o line would be very good as well with guys like Glenn, Vogel, Staurday, and  Nelson already. Definitely a top 5 offense. 

3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Btw I’m not talking about a particular colts team like the 2003 colts etc....im talking our best players from any colts team making up a single colts dream team. How would they stack up?

Interesting.  Then you would have to assemble the best of all time for teams like The Cowboys, the Packers, the Steelers, the Rams, the 49'ers, etc...   (maybe even consider the Raiders, Washington team, Patriots and Dolphins) and then compare. 

Dont forget Andre Johnson (WR) if we are talking about any player who suited up even for 1 game for us and taking whole career into account

NFL records:

Only player in NFL history with 60+ receptions in his first 8 seasons

Most games with 10+ receptions in a season: 7 (tied with Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall)

Most seasons with 100+ receptions: 5 (tied with Wes Welker)

Most seasons with 100+ receptions and 1,400+ yards: 4

Most games with 10+ receptions

5 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Dont forget Andre Johnson (WR) if we are talking about any player who suited up even for 1 game for us and taking whole career into account

NFL records:

Most games with 10+ receptions in a season: 7 (tied with Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall)

That is a lot of ifs considering he didn't do diddly squat in a Colts uniform. 

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

Read the first post in this thread again and criteria he laid out for listing players.

Yeah I understand that but I think the OP was talking about players who made this team better when playing for our team. 

I could be wrong? 

That's like saying what Kerry Collins did for the Panthers relates to what he did for the Colts. :hat:

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

NFL records:

i think you would have to go with where they played the longest to have this discussion, or at least where they won the most

i dont think we could have peyton in denver or brady on the bucs.  deion sanders would be a though one, he played for 5 different teams, and three of them 4 years a piece 

My criteria would be different, IMO to make an all-time Colts team you have to have at least 2 full seasons played or a minimum of 32 games played. 1 game or 1 full season is too low of a sample size: Here would be my all-time Colts team:

Offense

QB - Peyton Manning, barely over Johnny U but I chose PM

RB - Eric Dickerson

TE - John Mackey

WR - Marvin Harrison

WR - Raymond Berry

Slot WR - put Reggie Wayne here

OT - Tarik Glenn

OG - Quenton Nelson

C - Jeff Saturday

OG - Jim Parker

OT - Chris Hinton

-in bold are 4 players that were Baltimore Colts.

SP Teams

K - Adam Vinatieri

P- Pat McAfee

I have to think about the defense for a while but I will list them in a while.

12 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

says a lot about how little talent we've had at CB over the years

Yeah listing the defense is a little tougher. I have to think about it. Offense was pretty easy. Leaving Edge off bothers me but Dickerson was better IMO and played here long enough to make this team. Dickerson was better than Faulk as well at least IMO. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My criteria would be different, IMO to make an all-time Colts team you have to have at least 2 full seasons played or a minimum of 32 games played. 1 game or 1 full season is too low of a sample size: Here would be my all-time Colts team:

Offense

RB - Eric Dickerson

TE - John Mackey

WR - Marvin Harrison

WR - Raymond Berry

OT - Tarik Glenn

OG - Quenton Nelson

C - Jeff Saturday

OG - Jim Parker

OT - Chris Hinton

SP Teams

K - Adam Vinatieri

P- Pat McAfee

Defense, I would play a 3-4

DE - Dwight Freeney

T - Tony Siragusa

DE - Gino Marchetti

LB - Mike Curtis

LB - Gary Brackett

LB - Duane Bickett

LB - Robert Mathis, would play him opposite side of Freeney

CB - Bobby Boyd - best CB we have ever had statistically

CB - Vontae Davis

S - Bob Sanders

S- Antoine Bethea

-in bold are 3 players that were Baltimore Colts.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Offense

RB - Eric Dickerson

TE - John Mackey

WR - Marvin Harrison

WR - Raymond Berry

OT - Tarik Glenn

OG - Quenton Nelson

C - Jeff Saturday

OG - Jim Parker

OT - Chris Hinton

SP Teams

K - Adam Vinatieri

P- Pat McAfee

There's room for debate over Vogel vs. Glenn.  Folks that remember Rohn Stark might also vote him in over Pat McAfee... just throwing it out there.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Defense, I would play a 3-4

DE - Dwight Freeney

T - Tony Siragusa

DE - Gino Marchetti

LB - Mike Curtis

LB - Gary Brackett

LB - Duane Bickett

LB - Robert Mathis, would play him opposite side of Freeney

CB - Bobby Boyd - best CB we have ever had statistically

CB - Vontae Davis

S - Bob Sanders

S- Antoine Bethea

-in bold are 3 players that were Baltimore Colts.

I think Ted Hendricks likely gets a LB slot over Gary Brackett. Also Rick Volk gets a S spot over Antoine Bethea. IMHO.

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There's room for debate over Vogel vs. Glenn.  Folks that remember Rohn Stark might also vote him in over Pat McAfee... just throwing it out there.

I think Ted Hendricks likely gets a LB slot over Gary Brackett. Also Rick Volk gets a S spot over Antoine Bethea. IMHO.

Great suggestions. I figured there was probably 2 or 3 guys that I forgot about that could make this team. 

Just to mention the criteria I meant was even if they played one game with us so yes Andre Johnson would snd should of been on my list had I not forgotten about him lol. I’m not really educated on colts teams from the past (right before Peyton got here). It’s cool to see some of the Pre manning colts fans opinions and on who our best were and how they would match up to other teams best.  
btw I prob should of changed the criteria to maybe a full season or two or what they did for the colts, I was just thinking about the names and talent that we have assembled and what could of been if they all played together during their primes against other teams assembled the same way. 

3 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Just to mention the criteria I meant was even if they played one game with us so yes Andre Johnson would snd should of been on my list had I not forgotten about him lol. I’m not really educated on colts teams from the past (right before Peyton got here). It’s cool to see some of the Pre manning colts fans opinions and on who our best were and how they would match up to other teams best.  
btw I prob should of changed the criteria to maybe a full season or two or what they did for the colts, I was just thinking about the names and talent that we have assembled and what could of been if they all played together during their primes against other teams assembled the same way. 

Check my offense and defense out, I would put them up against anyone. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Offense

RB - Eric Dickerson

TE - John Mackey

WR - Marvin Harrison

WR - Raymond Berry

OT - Tarik Glenn

OG - Quenton Nelson

C - Jeff Saturday

OG - Jim Parker

OT - Chris Hinton

SP Teams

K - Adam Vinatieri

P- Pat McAfee

Lenny Moore is always overlooked. He was on the All NFL First 50 Years Team, and ended in the NFL’s top seasons’ productions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Moore

Moore retired from professional football after the 1967 season. In 12 seasons and 143 regular season games he scored 111 total touchdowns, accumulated 11,213 total yards, made seven Pro Bowls, and five all-NFL teams. His uniform number 24 was retired by Baltimore, and in 1969 a sportswriters' poll named him to the NFL's 50th Anniversary Team.

In 1975 Moore was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and was named to the NFL’s 1950s All Decade Team. In 1999, The Sporting News' ranked Moore 71st on its list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. He is the only player in NFL history to have at least 40 receiving touchdowns and 40 rushing touchdowns.

Football Outsiders, in their book Pro Football Prospectus 2007, named six of his seasons among the top 500 running back seasons of all time, which was tied for the 5th most seasons among the top 500 of any player. Moore's retired number is honored along with all of the other Baltimore Colts retired numbers in M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, home of the Baltimore Ravens.

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Lenny Moore is always overlooked. He was on the All NFL First 50 Years Team, and ended in the NFL’s top seasons’ productions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Moore

Moore retired from professional football after the 1967 season. In 12 seasons and 143 regular season games he scored 111 total touchdowns, accumulated 11,213 total yards, made seven Pro Bowls, and five all-NFL teams. His uniform number 24 was retired by Baltimore, and in 1969 a sportswriters' poll named him to the NFL's 50th Anniversary Team.

In 1975 Moore was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and was named to the NFL’s 1950s All Decade Team. In 1999, The Sporting News' ranked Moore 71st on its list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. He is the only player in NFL history to have at least 40 receiving touchdowns and 40 rushing touchdowns.

Football Outsiders, in their book Pro Football Prospectus 2007, named six of his seasons among the top 500 running back seasons of all time, which was tied for the 5th most seasons among the top 500 of any player. Moore's retired number is honored along with all of the other Baltimore Colts retired numbers in M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, home of the Baltimore Ravens.

Yeah he was great no doubt. We have had so many great RB's that you can't really go wrong with who you choose. I have had people even tell me that Marshall Faulk was by far and away the best RB we have ever had. I don't agree with that but Faulk was awesome.

28 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

True, Eugene Daniel is the only other decent CB that comes to mind.

For fun I’d list Johnny Sample. Won awards as valuable winning Two Championships FOR the Colts (58 and 59)- but stole Super Bowl III FROM the Colts, playing for the Jets, and intercepting Earl Morral.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he was great no doubt. We have had so many great RB's that you can't really go wrong with who you choose. I have had people even tell me that Marshall Faulk was by far and away the best RB we have ever had. I don't agree with that but Faulk was awesome.

Don’t ask Joe Stasniak. He can’t stand Faulk....

1 minute ago, jimmy g said:

For fun I’d list Johnny Sample. Won awards as valuable winning Two Championships FOR the Colts (58 and 59)- but stole Super Bowl III FROM the Colts, playing for the Jets, and intercepting Earl Morral.

If I would've been a Colts fan during SB 3, I think I would've broke my TV. Earl Morral = Booooooooooooooo. I was born in 1971 so a tad before my time.

5 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I was born in 1959, so do not know of them, :(

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I was born in 1959, so do not know of them, :(

I was born in 1954, just down the street from Baltimore’s Memorial Stadium. Watched the 58 Championship on a 9” black and white tv in a 4’ Console, but had no idea what football really was. Moved to Indy in 1980, and the Colts eventually followed me. Between 80-84, my Mom mailed me the Sports Pages from  Baltimore Sun , the Baltimore News American, the York Dispatch, and the York Daily Reporter. My wife wanted the money my Mom spent in postage...

Only offense for now, and remember I'm a bit biased for my all time favorite

Bert Jones. 

QB1- Bert Jones

QB2- Unitas

QB3- Manning

RB- Dickerson,  Lenny Moore, Faulk, Edge

FB- Roosevelt Potts

WR- Marvin, Berry, Roger Carr, Reggie, TY

TE- Mackey, Raymond Chester, Clark, and honorable mention Marcus Pollard who incase you didn't  know also played some basketball haha

OT- Glenn

G- Quinton 

C- Kelly 

G- Parker

OT- Hinton

K- Vinny, honorable mention Vanderjagt

P- Rohn Stark

HC- Don Shula

On 9/30/2020 at 4:27 AM, Trace Pyott said:

This is just for fun. I was bored and thinking about our historic franchise and I was amazed at the talent we have assembled on this team in just the time I’ve been a colts fan 1996 to present.  So it got me thinking. What would be your all time colts team?  I’m talking about any players that have played for the colts even if it was for one game. 

I will be the first to admit my football knowledge, especially football before 1995  I’m not too keen on, so you guys could help me with that.  How many teams would you rank ahead of the colts as far as their all time teams are concerned?   Just with the colts I will name my fav all time players 

offense 
1. qb Peyton Manning Or Johnny u 

2 RB Faulk or edge or Dickerson
3. Wr ...Marvin , Reggie , Hilton 

O line- Glenn, Saturday , big Q, Tarik Glenn

then look at some of these defensive names lol. 

1. Mathis

2. freeney

3.leonard

4.bob sanders

5. Buckner 

6.houston. 

Those are just off the top of my head and most are from the pretty recent past. Could you imagine a defense with all these guys on the field together and in their primes!  

It blows my mind how much talent we have had on this historic franchise. I didn’t even name Johnny u or the other greats. These would just be my starters.  What other teams do you think  could beat an all colts team if any?  Maybe a pre salary cap juggernaut like the cowboys or niners?  

I would rather do it for Indianapolis Colts.   While I enjoy the history of the Colts including in Baltimore, I prefer to separate the franchise.  

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I would rather do it for Indianapolis Colts.   While I enjoy the history of the Colts including in Baltimore, I prefer to separate the franchise.  

I am the same way, Johnny U wanted that way as well. He was about Baltimore. I would be ok if our history only consisted of everything since we moved to Indy (1984). Still a hell of a history with:

SB win = 2006 (1)

SB appearances = 2006, 2009 (2)

AFC Title Game appearances = 1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014 (5)

Division Titles = 1987, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014 (11)

Just in the Indianapolis era alone (1984-2020) we have had QB's - Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, and now Philip Rivers. RB's - Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Edge James. WR's - Bill Brooks, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton. Pretty great stuff!

I know we have several people in here that were fans when we were in Baltimore so not sure how they feel but I am guessing most of them had ties to Baltimore.

Archived