Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Hold Private Workout With Andrew Luck

Will this make the RGIII to Colts talks stop a bit?

Nope, they reserve the right to invite RG3 to a private workout too.

This is reminding me of how the Texans negotiated their contract with Mario Williams. They used Reggie Bush as the bait, back when rookie contracts were not governed by the CBA.

And I think Luck is playing it cool, as he should.

Probably not but what difference does it make really? So long as the Colts do their due dilligence and reach a decision on their guy, all the media speculating doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The media will talk both angles regardless...that is what they do and what they will continue to do up until draft day.

For what it's worth, I have zero anxiety over worrying if Luck will become a Colt. To me it's destiny. How could your last name be Luck and you not play with the team with the Horseshoe helmet? Give the guy #7 while we are at it. Whether or not he is better than RG3 is debatable but from what I've seen I believe his qb style is a better fit for this franchise based on what we have become accustomed to with Manning.

Similarly, I think RG3 is a great fit for the Skins. He will make a bigger impact than Luck his first year in the league. Mark it down. Skins have more weapons and RG3 will hit the ground running...literally. NFL films may as well open up a satelite office in DC.

With that said, if the Colts stay the course with Luck and build a solid team around him then I believe that eventually we will also be very happy with our end product. Our gratification just won't be as immediate.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, March 26, 2012 - Duplicate Post
Hidden by Coltssouth, March 26, 2012 - Duplicate Post

Probably not but what difference does it make really? So long as the Colts do their due dilligence and reach a decision on their guy, all the media speculating doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The media will talk both angles regardless...that is what they do and what they will continue to do up until draft day.

For what it's worth, I have zero anxiety over worrying if Luck will become a Colt. To me it's destiny. How could your last name be Luck and you not play with the team with the Horseshoe helmet? Give the guy #7 while we are at it. Whether or not he is better than RG3 is debatable but from what I've seen I believe his qb style is a better fit for this franchise based on what we have become accustomed to with Manning.

Similarly, I think RG3 is a great fit for the Skins. He will make a bigger impact than Luck his first year in the league. Mark it down. Skins have more weapons and RG3 will hit the ground running...literally. NFL films may as well open up a satelite office in DC.

With that said, if the Colts stay the course with Luck and build a solid team around him then I believe that eventually we will also be very happy with our end product. Our gratification just won't be as immediate.

Not surprising. Don't be surprised if they bring in RG3 too. It'd be unfair and *ic to not bring him in just to see how he does.

Grigson said circumstances prevent the team from working RGIII out. Made it sound like scheduling issues. But the head honchos were at RGIII's pro day, and weren't at Luck's. That explains, to me, why they'd be having a private workout with Luck.

Grigson said circumstances prevent the team from working RGIII out. Made it sound like scheduling issues. But the head honchos were at RGIII's pro day, and weren't at Luck's. That explains, to me, why they'd be having a private workout with Luck.

Yep, thats what you say to the girl or guy you really don't want to go out with.

No...their saying they're undecided. Gonna take it to the bitter end. Grigs is just "covered up" evaluating this!!!

Yeah they were undecided they made it sound about Manning's future with the Colts too till the end. I don't buy at all that both Irsay and Manning were not aware they were parting ways for some time no matter what anyone says.

Yeah they were undecided they made it sound about Manning's future with the Colts too till the end. I don't buy at all that both Irsay and Manning were not aware they were parting ways for some time no matter what anyone says.

Isn't it odd that everyone is trying to look undecided like an undecidedfrog?

Isn't it odd that everyone is trying to look undecided like an undecidedfrog?

I think you are starting a dangerous trend here. ;)

But, Irsay loves to mess with people too. I don't think he flat out reveals his pick for a while because he will have fun with this. Unless he gets hammered some night and tweets it several times.

Or we can get another "Boxer" like clue. ;) Only a few of us got that one. :)

Yep, thats what you say to the girl or guy you really don't want to go out with.

I don't know enough to know the advantages of a private workout over the pro day workout, at least as it pertains to evaluating his talent. I'm assuming it will include a more in-depth interview process than what happens at the Combine or than what could happen at a pro day with a bunch of other teams and the media there.

But I believe they did their due diligence on RGIII, and have a good idea of what kind of player he is at this point. The private workout is extra, and if they have no red flags on Luck or reason to pass on him, it would be a waste of time.

I don't know enough to know the advantages of a private workout over the pro day workout, at least as it pertains to evaluating his talent. I'm assuming it will include a more in-depth interview process than what happens at the Combine or than what could happen at a pro day with a bunch of other teams and the media there.

But I believe they did their due diligence on RGIII, and have a good idea of what kind of player he is at this point. The private workout is extra, and if they have no red flags on Luck or reason to pass on him, it would be a waste of time.

Are they going to bring in RG3 for a private interview? Like you said, a private workout with Luck will include a more in depth interview process.

I read they have no plans on a private Griffin workout so who knows anymore if they are done with their due diligence on him or have to do more.

Not surprising. Don't be surprised if they bring in RG3 too. It'd be unfair and *ic to not bring him in just to see how he does.

Unfair? Fair has nothing to do with it, and I believe the decision was made months ago whom they were getting. They went to Griffen's pro-day and skipped Luck's because they were planning on bringing him in for a private session. All the RG3 stuff has been made up by fans and media.

Are they going to bring in RG3 for a private interview? Like you said, a private workout with Luck will include a more in depth interview process.

I read they have no plans on a private Griffin workout so who knows anymore if they are done with their due diligence on him or have to do more.

That's what I'm saying. According to Grigson, there are no plans to bring RGIII in for a private workout. I'm assuming that, unless they have reason for pause with Luck, they are operating under the assumption that they'll be drafting him. So, pending the private workout, there's no reason to spend time with RGIII. If they work Luck out and get nervous about something, they'll get RGIII in town at that point. But there's really no reason to go on to Plan B if you're confident in Plan A.

That's what I'm saying. According to Grigson, there are no plans to bring RGIII in for a private workout. I'm assuming that, unless they have reason for pause with Luck, they are operating under the assumption that they'll be drafting him. So, pending the private workout, there's no reason to spend time with RGIII. If they work Luck out and get nervous about something, they'll get RGIII in town at that point. But there's really no reason to go on to Plan B if you're confident in Plan A.

Agree.

But, Irsay loves to mess with people too. I don't think he flat out reveals his pick for a while because he will have fun with this. Unless he gets hammered some night and tweets it several times.

And, Irsay is quoted on Scouts at Foxsports.com - "We have no preconceptions. We want to continue to do a detailed evaluation of each player. Robert Griffin is unbelievable. Luck is great as well."

Does unbelievable mean better than great?

I don't mind if he praises RG3.

Back on October though it sounds like Irsay was thinking about the future and taking a QB with the first pick. However then, it sounded more like he was leaning the way of having both Luck and Manning if possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_colts_andrew_luck_2012_draft_101011

HOUSTON – Owner Jim Irsay stopped well short of saying that the Indianapolis Colts were looking for an eventual successor to quarterback Peyton Manning, but he strongly indicated Monday that his team would be willing to take someone such as Stanford’s Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL draft if the opportunity presented itself.

“Guys like that come along so rarely,” Irsay said, referring to Manning and what many are projecting of Luck. The Stanford quarterback is already widely considered a near-lock to be the No. 1 overall pick. “Even if that means that guy sits for three or four years, you’d certainly think about taking him … you see what Green Bay did with [brett] Favre and [Aaron] Rodgers and you’d like to be able to do the same thing.”

Hmm, I think they are going to pull a shocker and draft a back up punter with the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft. I think it boils down to which backup punter is more NFL ready (perhaps one punted in a pro style offense) vs which backup punter has the strongest leg.

Hmm, I think they are going to pull a shocker and draft a back up punter with the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft. I think it boils down to which backup punter is more NFL ready (perhaps one punted in a pro style offense) vs which backup punter has the strongest leg.

haha. But was it in the 2012 pro-style offense or the 1983 version?

Unfair? Fair has nothing to do with it, and I believe the decision was made months ago whom they were getting. They went to Griffen's pro-day and skipped Luck's because they were planning on bringing him in for a private session. All the RG3 stuff has been made up by fans and media.

It's unfair because there are some people out there who think that RG3 is as good or better than Andrew Luck, so it would be unfair to not give RG3 a chance to prove himself. Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were in similar situations. Both were interviewed and were worked out, so they were given an equal chance to show off their best side. One >>>ed up and the other one excelled. If you go into a decision with a blind eye to other prospects, you won't get far in business.

It's unfair because there are some people out there who think that RG3 is as good or better than Andrew Luck, so it would be unfair to not give RG3 a chance to prove himself. Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were in similar situations. Both were interviewed and were worked out, so they were given an equal chance to show off their best side. One >>>ed up and the other one excelled. If you go into a decision with a blind eye to other prospects, you won't get far in business.

If you let a pro day or workout decide whom you draft you won't make it far as a football team. There are some people out there that think RG3 is better, but that doesn't mean second guess one of the best, safest prospects to ever come out.

If you let a pro day or workout decide whom you draft you won't make it far as a football team. There are some people out there that think RG3 is better, but that doesn't mean second guess one of the best, safest prospects to ever come out.