Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Moves/Workouts

• Shive changed the title to Roster Moves/Workouts

All of this is pretty meh....

Jefferson doesn't make a lot of sense to me, neither does Carter. Wonder if there's an injury or covid thingy going on we don't know about.

On Carter, below from the Cowboy's site

COLLEGE:

Had 66 tackles with 27 for losses, 12.0 sacks - tied for third in JMU single-season history - one forced fumble, 13 hurries and a pass breakup while starting all 16 games as a consensus first-team All-American senior.

Named first-team All-CAA as a junior after starting all 13 games and posted 58 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a quarterback hurry.

Transferred to JMU as a sophomore and played in all 15 games to tally 28 tackles, eight for loss, 4.0 sacks, three pass breakups and four quarterback hurries.

Spent two seasons at Rutgers and appeared in five games in 2016, making two tackles, including a half tackle for loss and a half sack.

Redshirted as a true freshman in 2015.

PERSONAL:

Three-star recruit and top-30 player at Long Reach High School in Baltimore, Md., where he was a team captain who played defensive end and tight end.

First-team All-Howard County tight end as a senior and first-team defensive end as a junior.

Captain at the Maryland Crab Bowl, featuring most talented seniors from Maryland and was a member of the Baltimore Touchdown Club Super 22 Team as a junior.

Multi-sport athlete who also threw shot put for track & field and played basketball at Long Reach.

Majored in public policy and administration at James Madison.

• Like 1

Our dline is pretty good. Turay should be back after the bye. That makes no sense. If it was just a Ps addition I could understand but that is just strange. We have two players coming back from IR so just weird to add to the 53 with a DE.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So he is more of a DT. That makes even less sense. 

He's a tweener. But DT would make more sense than DE to be honest. We're a bit thin at 3T with Autry now starting at DE. You only have Buckner and Lewis at 3T. I don't know if he's any better than Kline though to jump to straight to the active roster.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's a tweener. But DT would make more sense than DE to be honest. We're a bit thin at 3T with Autry now starting at DE. You only have Buckner and Lewis at 3T. I don't know if he's any better than Kline though to jump to straight to the active roster.

We do have a DT that I bet gets cut. Can remember how to spell his name but he has been a healthy scratch.

5 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Just a thought but when we signed Ankou didnt he have to be on the roster through 3 games, maybe Carter is taking his spot on the D Line....shot in the dark. 

This is the guy I was thinking of. I bet he gets cut.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We do have a DT that I bet gets cut. Can remember how to spell his name but he has been a healthy scratch.

This is the guy I was thinking of. I bet he gets cut.

He's a NT, not 3T, so very unrelated. He was going to be gone as soon as Day came back anyway. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

All of this is pretty meh....

Jefferson doesn't make a lot of sense to me, neither does Carter. Wonder if there's an injury or covid thingy going on we don't know about.

On Carter, below from the Cowboy's site

COLLEGE:

Had 66 tackles with 27 for losses, 12.0 sacks - tied for third in JMU single-season history - one forced fumble, 13 hurries and a pass breakup while starting all 16 games as a consensus first-team All-American senior.

Named first-team All-CAA as a junior after starting all 13 games and posted 58 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a quarterback hurry.

Transferred to JMU as a sophomore and played in all 15 games to tally 28 tackles, eight for loss, 4.0 sacks, three pass breakups and four quarterback hurries.

Spent two seasons at Rutgers and appeared in five games in 2016, making two tackles, including a half tackle for loss and a half sack.

Redshirted as a true freshman in 2015.

PERSONAL:

Three-star recruit and top-30 player at Long Reach High School in Baltimore, Md., where he was a team captain who played defensive end and tight end.

First-team All-Howard County tight end as a senior and first-team defensive end as a junior.

Captain at the Maryland Crab Bowl, featuring most talented seniors from Maryland and was a member of the Baltimore Touchdown Club Super 22 Team as a junior.

Multi-sport athlete who also threw shot put for track & field and played basketball at Long Reach.

Majored in public policy and administration at James Madison.

Jefferson is a decent safety he would be a good depth for the defense we need it anyway

I like it. Never can have to much.

***1. We have 2-3 roster spots open. Im sure 1 of the 3(Burton,Ya-Sin, Day), wont be playing come Sunday either. Ya-Sin already holds a roster spot, so that leaves 2 guys for 3 spots open.

2. We grab him now keep him for 3 weeks then try and get him back to our practice squad. When Turay hopefully gets back.

***assuming we had 3 roster spots open, as I didnt recall filling our 2 IR hits last week. Then 1 more from Pittman. ****

When they didnt bring anyone in, I had a feeling they were going to try and snatch some practice squad guy, someone on the protected list.

Carter was protected all 3 weeks.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-september-2020

The whole thing is a little weird though.. The verbiage in the tweet didnt make it sound like a tradition practice squad signing.(terminated)

Then the link above says he was released...?

"What is surprising is the way the practice squad opening came about. Rookie defensive end Ron'Dell Carter was released after being protected on the team's practice squad for the first three weeks of the season.

Carter was one of the biggest undrafted free agents in the Cowboys' 2020 draft class. They guaranteed him $145,000 to sign with them, topping offers from dozens of other teams. With the amount of veteran depth on the Cowboys' defensive line, reps were hard for him to come by during training camp. Carter is expected to sign with the Indianapolis Colts."

Maybe he doesn't even have to go to main 53? Pretty sure he is anyway.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/09/29/cowboys-lose-coveted-dt-prospect-rondell-carter-to-colts/

That article speaks very highly of him.

I had saw his name as I was looking over protected practice squad players over first few weeks. So Im lookimg forward to seeing what hes got.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@w87r

Or if he shows something we keep him on the 53

Most definitely.

Have a good feeling about him. Dont even know why, but it's not my homerism... Lol

Going to check some things out on him.

Just now, w87r said:

Most definitely.

Have a good feeling about him. Dont even know why, but it's not my homerism... Lol

Going to check some things out on him.

I will need to check some things on him too but will probably wait until tomorrow after the big Aces win tonight

22 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

correct me if i'm wrong but i heard a rumor saying we were trading for AJ Green. Would be a good signing but i dont know if CB would actually go for the deal depending on what the Bengals would offer

where did you hear that?

57 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ron'Dell Carter is a highly coveted rookie according to the Bring the Juice Podcast. So I think we got someone very impressive here. I'll let you guys know if there's a podcast about him later on.

I'd change that to highly coveted UDFA :-)

Total project, but yes, very interesting. 

I remember a bit about him now from the draft. I need to do some more digging. I know small school, etc., but that's all I can recall.

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Well unfortunately he tore his acl last season he only played 5 games

Ah. Makes sense. Thank you my friend.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd change that to highly coveted UDFA :-)

Total project, but yes, very interesting. 

I remember a bit about him now from the draft. I need to do some more digging. I know small school, etc., but that's all I can recall.

Ah. Makes sense. Thank you my friend.

Word around Dallas is that Carter is an absolute beast and they were very disappointed to see him go.

Had the highest guarantee of $145k.  I'm extremely excited about this acquisition. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ron'Dell Carter is a highly coveted rookie according to the Bring the Juice Podcast. So I think we got someone very impressive here. I'll let you guys know if there's a podcast about him later on.

Just shows me that Ballard looks to increase talent where ever he can find it. 

IMO it's a smart move. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just shows me that Ballard looks to increase talent where ever he can find it. 

IMO it's a smart move. 

I love that 24 teams wanted him before he joined the Cowboys originally, that means he was in high demand and usually that many FO's won't all be wrong. Him joining us now just shows we are a quality organization. A majority of bottom-feeder teams don't have a chance at guys like this. Glad we have Ballard and Reich to attract guys like this here.

• Like 1

Really happy about this signing. He didn't get national exposure due to the corona, and that probably kept him from being drafted since he was also from a small school. To get a guy like this for free that was in such high demand is a coup for Ballard right now, and although he went undrafted, there's a chance he could contribute this year.

• Like 1