Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup Quarterback Confusion...

Shadow_Creek

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

1.  Belechik is fairly obviously the greatest NFL coach and possibly the best to anyone.  We need to do more things like he does them. Lots of franchises are catching on.  He does not get emotionally attached to players.  It's a business whose bottom line is to win.

2.  theres's a lot I like about Reich, but the JB things seems to be emotionally based.  Sowing seeds of the coaching staff making bad decsions is usually not tolerated.  JB gets kid glove treatment.

3.  None of us Know any thing about anything like that.  This is a message board where people share their opinions.  

1-Well Belichick may be a great coach but his acting like he knows zero about deflating footballs and breaking rules makes him a liar.

2-Reich didn't sign Brissett.

3-You don't respect anyone else's opinions because all you do is argue. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

1-Well Belichick may be a great coach but his acting like he knows zero about deflating footballs and breaking rules makes him a liar.

2-Reich didn't sign Brissett.

3-You don't respect anyone else's opinions because all you do is argue. 

3.  Huh?  You have a different opinion than me.  Are you arguing too then?  I just don't get it man. really.

Just now, Nickster said:

3.  Huh?  You have a different opinion than me.  Are you arguing too then?  I just don't get it man. really.

This whole thread has you telling us all your opinion and disregarding everyone else's. 

No one in here has agreed with your point of view.

Sorry you don't get it. That's not our fault. 

39 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This whole thread has you telling us all your opinion and disregarding everyone else's. 

No one in here has agreed with your point of view.

Sorry you don't get it. That's not our fault. 

There are a few guys saying they don’t want JB. That was the idea posed by the op. 
And popular opinion isn’t always a good opinion.

On 9/29/2020 at 7:52 AM, Myles said:

It's because Brissett is the better back up QB right now, for this season.  They feel he is better than Eason at this point and that would make him the correct choice for the role.  It'd be different if they didn't have high expectations for this team.  Love, Tua and Hurts are the best backup those teams have.   

But why when there is 9 minutes left and the colts are up by 30 is jacoby playing not eason .  Eason needs the reps he had no preseason while jacoby has no future here .

On 9/29/2020 at 8:00 AM, Smonroe said:

If Rivers were to get hurt in a game, do you really want Eason in there?  

do you really want jacoby in there ?  did he not throw 2 touchdowns in 8 games and throw multiple picks the last half of the season .  He averaged 150 yards a game .  what does jacoby have to offer?  when he is in the just run the ball every down any way .  Eason can't play game manager .  

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

But why when there is 9 minutes left and the colts are up by 30 is jacoby playing not eason .  Eason needs the reps he had no preseason while jacoby has no future here .

I'll answer. Because the Colts appear to be making sure that the QB position is well oiled, and ready in case he is needed. This is an assumption, but I believe that they are trying to win it all this year...as they should be. Taking a risk of getting your young draft pick injured or "seeing what you've got" in a nearly concluded contest should not take precedent over keeping your #2 guy ready in a season where they are trying to win a SB. Does that help?

@Nickster, not to be mean but with your posting in this thread you look bad. Just constructive criticism nothing personal. You have a right to your opinion but most of Colts fans and pretty much the entire media think JB is a good backup. You act like he doesn't belong in the league?? By saying that, you are implying he isn't one of the best 64 QB's in the league = 32 starters and 32 backups. You just don't like him and it's obvious because you say well he is a bad QB, then you say he is a locker room distraction by saying he thinks he is a starter. You are reaching for everything. Just let it go because he isn't getting traded and will be our backup all year unless something drastic happens like injuries.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-jacoby-brissett-i-know-i-am-a-starter

Most NFL coaches would not want this floating around the locker room.  

That may or may not be the case....  but Ballard doesn’t have “most locker rooms”.    He’s got a locker room filled with super high character players, including Jacoby.   The locker is filled with guys who were captains and team leaders in both their colleges and high school teams.   This is a big zero in our kicker room.   Literally, nothing.   Jacoby is just a confident teammate waiting for an opportunity. 

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Nickster, not to be mean but with your posting in this thread you look bad. Just constructive criticism nothing personal. You have a right to your opinion but most of Colts fans and pretty much the entire media think JB is a good backup. You act like he doesn't belong in the league?? By saying that, you are implying he isn't one of the best 64 QB's in the league = 32 starters and 32 backups. You just don't like him and it's obvious because you say well he is a bad QB, then you say he is a locker room distraction by saying he thinks he is a starter. You are reaching for everything. Just let it go because he isn't getting traded and will be our backup all year unless something drastic happens like injuries.

Thanks but no thanks.

There are at least a half dozen or more posters on here that don’t want JB either.  Your opinion might be more popular but It isn’t consensus.  

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That may or may not be the case....  but Ballard doesn’t have “most locker rooms”.    He’s got a locker room filled with super high character players, including Jacoby.   The locker is filled with guys who were captains and team leaders in both their colleges and high school teams.   This is a big zero in our kicker room.   Literally, nothing.   Jacoby is just a confident teammate waiting for an opportunity. 

Look man I don’t know what’s going on in there and you don’t either.

I’m sure he is likable because so many people say it.  But I would be surprised if there weren’t several guys who were rolling their eyes when they brought JB in on that goal line play.  I’d also be surprised if many players weren’t aware that JB has gotten a lot of praise and more importantly so much money with such an abysmal number of horrific QBR games and he got progressively worse. I would be absolutely shocked if offensive players weren’t happy PR was brought in.  JB is also a stat killer which leads to lost money.  

I don’t think JB gives a team a very good chance of winning any game.  

I can see why people look at the 5and 2 but JB was not any good overall the first 7 games and was godawful in his last 7.  

hes 27 or so and has no future here.  We have to develop someone or start losing a lot quickly for draft position because this team will need someone soon.

There is a few types of players I’d prefer. 1. A vet who has won some games.  Hasselbach, Foles,  Smith types.2.  A lights out athlete that might be able to shock another team if he has to come in for a game or two.

3.  Or someone being developed.

if we knew we had our guy, that would be one thing.

i totally wanted rivers and am glad we have him but he is on short time.  I think you are wasting a spot.

we could have had newton, Winston, dalton and a number of others As backups.  if we were really that serious about this year.  We could have cut JB and signed two of those guys if we wanted to.p without losing any money.

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I’m sure he is likable because so many people say it.  But I would be surprised if there weren’t several guys who were rolling their eyes when they brought JB in on that goal line play.  I’d also be surprised if many players weren’t aware that JB has gotten a lot of praise and more importantly so much money with such an abysmal number of horrific QBR games and he got progressively worse. I would be absolutely shocked if offensive players weren’t happy PR was brought in.  JB is also a stat killer which leads to lost money.  

I can see why people look at the 5and 2 but JB was not any good overall the first 7 games and was godawful in his last 7.  

hes 27 or so and has no future here.  We have to develop someone or start losing a lot quickly for draft position because this team will need someone soon.

There is a few types of players I’d prefer. 1. A vet who has won some games.  Hasselbach, Foles,  Smith types.2.  A lights out athlete that might be able to shock another team if he has to come in for a game or two.

i totally wanted rivers and am glad we have him but he is on short time.  I think you are wasting a spot.

we could have had newton, Winston, dalton and a number of others As backups.  if we were really that serious about this year.  We could have cut JB and signed two of those guys if we wanted to.p without losing any money.

You are like a machine and won't stop lmao . Rivers will probably play all 16 games anyway so this whole thread is moot IMO. JB will probably be gone after this year so the haters will get their wish. Hardly nobody thinks he is starter material, show me 1 person on this thread that says he is. Most of us just think he is a good backup, he knows our playbook, and is liked in the locker room. You think he sucks period, we get it. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

There's no evidence that anyone in the organization or in the locker room has any issue with JB. All evidence to the contrary, as a matter of fact.

I think it's disingenuous of you to theorize, then when someone pushes back to revert to 'none of us really knows.' That's a copout. You don't like JB's comments. That's fine. Projecting your feelings onto other people -- with no evidence -- is fallacious.

I’d also be surprised if many players weren’t aware that JB has gotten a lot of praise and more importantly so much money with much an abysmal number of horrific QBR games and he got progressively worse. I would be absolutely shocked if offensive players weren’t happy PR was brought in

More of the same here. You think it, so you're attributing your thoughts and feelings onto other people.

And the worst part about it is whenever anyone from the team talks about JB, they speak well of him. Some of his teammates even defended him after the season was over, and said they thought he should remain the starter, no need for someone else. I obviously disagree with them, but their statements are evidence that they do NOT agree with you. There is nothing substantive that you can point to to back up this claim. Except your feelings.

we could have had newton, Winston, dalton and a number of others As backups.  if we were really that serious about this year.  We could have cut JB and signed two of those guys if we wanted to.

Probably couldn't have had Cam. He signed with the Pats to compete for the starting job (which made him the de facto starter); so in that case you're choosing Cam over Rivers, which has no impact on JB.

Winston? Sure, he's better than JB. Signed for a lot less. But he has a losing record as a starter, and some significant issues as a passer as well (like the fact that he threw 30 picks last year). 

Dalton? How is he better than JB at this point?

If you won't accept that the staff thinks JB is a good backup -- good enough to handle things if your starter misses 1-4 games -- then you have to come up with these alternatives to make up for the difference. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are like a machine and won't stop lmao . Rivers will probably play all 16 games anyway so this whole thread is moot IMO. JB will probably be gone after this year so the haters will get their wish. Hardly nobody thinks he is starter material, show me 1 person on this thread that says he is. Most of us just think he is a good backup, he knows our playbook, and is liked in the locker room. You think he sucks period, we get it. 

Well why are you responding then best ever?  Think about that with an open mind for a minute.

52 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Thanks but no thanks.

There are at least a half dozen or more posters on here that don’t want JB either.  Your opinion might be more popular but It isn’t consensus.  

I don't think you understand that it's not the position that you hold (JB is a bad backup QB) that people take issue with. It's the arguements you're making about that position. Superman absolutely nailed it in the post above mine, so no need to dig further on that.

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Simple. Eason wasn't active on the gameday roster, so it was impossible for him to take any snaps when we were up by 30. He was in street clothes on the sideline.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's no evidence that anyone in the organization or in the locker room has any issue with JB. All evidence to the contrary, as a matter of fact.

I think it's disingenuous of you to theorize, then when someone pushes back to revert to 'none of us really knows.' That's a copout. You don't like JB's comments. That's fine. Projecting your feelings onto other people -- with no evidence -- is fallacious.

More of the same here. You think it, so you're attributing your thoughts and feelings onto other people.

And the worst part about it is whenever anyone from the team talks about JB, they speak well of him. Some of his teammates even defended him after the season was over, and said they thought he should remain the starter, no need for someone else. I obviously disagree with them, but their statements are evidence that they do NOT agree with you. There is nothing substantive that you can point to to back up this claim. Except your feelings.

Probably couldn't have had Cam. He signed with the Pats to compete for the starting job (which made him the de facto starter); so in that case you're choosing Cam over Rivers, which has no impact on JB.

Winston? Sure, he's better than JB. Signed for a lot less. But he has a losing record as a starter, and some significant issues as a passer as well (like the fact that he threw 30 picks last year). 

If you won't accept that the staff thinks JB is a good backup -- good enough to handle things if your starter misses 1-4 games -- then you have to come up with these alternatives to make up for the difference. 

I agree on Newton.  

I like Rivers.  He’s the guy I wanted them to get.  

I think you are a little over the top with your criticisms since I said it was an opinion of mine as to how different Might guys feel.   I said I’d be surprised as in it would be weird.  It would not be normal for everyone to have the same opinion about JB or anyone else, although that seems to be the expectation by a contingent  on this message board.  

So you think all 53 guys just love JB and are all in lockstep about his role with the team? That doesn’t seem reasonable to me.  

7 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Last week Taylor was no good. This week its Brissett because he took snaps in a game, of which you need to get your back up reps in a real game when possible. Who is it next week to hate on? 

I said I haven’t been impressed with his running and im still not.  I think he is very limited. 
I also started a post about how impressive Buckner is.

i also debated with a prominent poster on here in favor of Frank Reich.  I seem to have a more favorable attitude about him.p than this poster.

there are several other posters who also would prefer JB not being on the team.

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

do you really want jacoby in there ?  did he not throw 2 touchdowns in 8 games and throw multiple picks the last half of the season .  He averaged 150 yards a game .  what does jacoby have to offer?  when he is in the just run the ball every down any way .  Eason can't play game manager .  

I’m confused.  To be clear, in a game that matters, if Rivers went down, you’d rather have a rookie who’s never thrown a pass in an NFL game rather than a veteran who’s started in the league?  A guy who’s unanimously evaluated by one of the top 10 (I’m being ultra conservative) backups in the league by knowledgeable people.  

Well, you have a right to your opinion.  I have a right not to bother discussing it with you. 

Have a great day!

4 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Last week Taylor was no good. This week its Brissett because he took snaps in a game, of which you need to get your back up reps in a real game when possible. Who is it next week to hate on? 

To me, it appears like......

Team isn't meeting my expectations = Must point fingers at someone or someone's until team does as I expect

This is a pattern with a lot of fans. Not saying it isn't correct or viable, just pointing out what it is. My personal experience is to glean as much joy as I can from my being a fan. Therefore, my glass will always be half full. Quite selfish of me, actually. 

Btw, I LOVE this team and staff. Having a blast!

23 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think you understand that it's not the position that you hold (JB is a bad backup QB) that people take issue with. It's the arguements you're making about that position. Superman absolutely nailed it in the post above mine, so no need to dig further on that.

Simple. Eason wasn't active on the gameday roster, so it was impossible for him to take any snaps when we were up by 30. He was in street clothes on the sideline.

Well you have your opinion and I have mine.  I actually think that Supes last post is one of his weaker posts logically actually.

i also wanted the colts to draft Leaf and I thought Cain was possibly going to be a star.

i also think getting Nelson was awesome even though you would normally never draft a G that high.

i also think Andrew Luck was possibly the most underrated player in this MB and find it rather silly when people over criticize his play.

but I also think he quit on his team, but I also would take him back yesterday.

so I gave several different opinions about several different things.  Some favorable some not.

i don’t care if people disagree with me though man.  

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

did you think the Colts really thought Vinitiri was the best option at kicker all 14 weeks or whatever it was he played?

This is an honest question.  I think you can see where I’m headed here.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well you have your opinion and I have mine.  I actually think that Supes last post is one of his weaker posts logically actually.

i also wanted the colts to draft Leaf and I thought Cain was possibly going to be a star.

i also think getting Nelson was awesome even though you would normally never draft a G that high.

i also think Andrew Luck was possibly the most underrated player in this MB and find it rather silly when people over criticize his play.

but I also think he quit on his team, but I also would take him back yesterday.

so I gave several different opinions about several different things.  Some favorable some not.

i don’t care if people disagree with me though man.  

Now you are rambling. 

Sometimes this forum really confuses me.

Its quite simple really.

Like it or not, if Rivers goes down, Jacoby gives us the best chance of winning now.... not Eason or Kelly.  So its important to give him some real reps for insurance purposes.   Sheesh.

And obviously the team sees more upside to Eason long-term Over Kelly.   But throwing Eason in now is not the answer... not by a long shot.  It would not be helping him or the team .... now.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

You have been getting crushed, I mean pancaked by Superman.  Sorry,  there is no more oxygen left in your arguments.  

So now you’re trying the same arguments with me.   It’s just lots of opinion and projecting your views without anything to support them.   Those arguments rarely do well here.   Sooner or later they get killed.  And here we are.   Sorry, not happening. 

Good luck.  

did you think the Colts really thought Vinitiri was the best option at kicker all 14 weeks or whatever it was he played?

I do.  They certainly brought in enuff kickers for tryouts.   In the end, Ballard thought Vinny would snap out of it over the odds of a replacement exceeding his production going forward.  Right or wrong.

Ballard and Reich said they brought in kickers all season long to test them against AV, and that AV won every competition he was up against.   

Hey,  it sucks that AV couldn’t deliver anymore in real games.   But I don’t think the GM or the HC were lying.  They put their trust in the greatest kicker of all-time.   That’s not a radical thing to do.  

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

That the staff didn't publicly drag AV last season is an indication of their respect and appreciation for him. (In the background, they were working out kickers, eventually signed one, and finally shut AV down for the rest of the season.)

The staff has not only spoken well of JB, they've also kept him as the backup, and paid him pretty well even though they didn't have to. 

Why can't it just be that they like him as the backup and see value in having him this season, especially when their starter is 38 years old, and COVID is a major factor? That's exactly what they've said all long, and their actions harmonize. It's not remotely hard to accept. 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think you are a little over the top with your criticisms since I said it was an opinion of mine as to how different Might guys feel.   I said I’d be surprised as in it would be weird.  It would not be normal for everyone to have the same opinion about JB or anyone else, although that seems to be the expectation by a contingent  on this message board.

So you think all 53 guys just love JB and are all in lockstep about his role with the team? That doesn’t seem reasonable to me.

What does a contingent on this board have to do with my posting?

I've never stated that every person on the team loves JB. It's likely that someone on this team doesn't like JB, just by the numbers.

But whenever someone has something to say about JB, it's positive. That was the case when JB was named the starter last year, when he had a couple good games, when he was stumbling all over the place, when the team got eliminated from the playoffs, in the offseason, before free agency... and has continued to be the case even after Rivers signed. 

Not a single Colts related person -- player or staff -- has had anything negative to say about JB. No one has responded negatively to JB's comments about seeing himself as a starter. If they have, please share.

But you're implying that there simply must be someone who doesn't like the things that JB has said. You suggested that someone on the staff must have said something to JB when he answered the media's questions about his being a starter quality QB. (All evidence to the contrary, by the way.)

You went beyond stating that this is your opinion on JB's comments. You've projected them on to other people, and then when you got called out on that, you ran to the bunker of being entitled to an opinion. State your opinion all you want. I've only engaged and responded so much because you're angle has been that because the team keeping JB doesn't make sense to you, there must be something fishy about it. It can't be as simple as the staff values JB more than you do; it must be because they don't want to admit that they made a mistake with his contract. It can't be that the locker room likes JB more than you do; it must be that he's protected by the team and no one is allowed to say how they really feel about him. 

You're theorizing, projecting, and reaching. 

And it's really simple, and right in front of our eyes. They admitted that JB wasn't a good enough starter when they signed Rivers. They kept him as the backup and dress him on Sunday because they want him to be the backup on Sundays. If you don't think he's good enough to be the backup, that's a valid opinion that you're entitled to hold and express. But it just means that you disagree with the staff, not that there's some scheme to unravel and get to the bottom of.

Also, just because you disagree with the staff, it doesn't mean you're wrong. But one would be well served to come with some facts.

7 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Leadership haha :headspin::mindblow:

6 hours ago, Superman said:

What does a contingent on this board have to do with my posting?

I've never stated that every person on the team loves JB. It's likely that someone on this team doesn't like JB, just by the numbers.

But whenever someone has something to say about JB, it's positive. That was the case when JB was named the starter last year, when he had a couple good games, when he was stumbling all over the place, when the team got eliminated from the playoffs, in the offseason, before free agency... and has continued to be the case even after Rivers signed. 

Not a single Colts related person -- player or staff -- has had anything negative to say about JB. No one has responded negatively to JB's comments about seeing himself as a starter. If they have, please share.

But you're implying that there simply must be someone who doesn't like the things that JB has said. You suggested that someone on the staff must have said something to JB when he answered the media's questions about his being a starter quality QB. (All evidence to the contrary, by the way.)

You went beyond stating that this is your opinion on JB's comments. You've projected them on to other people, and then when you got called out on that, you ran to the bunker of being entitled to an opinion. State your opinion all you want. I've only engaged and responded so much because you're angle has been that because the team keeping JB doesn't make sense to you, there must be something fishy about it. It can't be as simple as the staff values JB more than you do; it must be because they don't want to admit that they made a mistake with his contract. It can't be that the locker room likes JB more than you do; it must be that he's protected by the team and no one is allowed to say how they really feel about him. 

You're theorizing, projecting, and reaching. 

And it's really simple, and right in front of our eyes. They admitted that JB wasn't a good enough starter when they signed Rivers. They kept him as the backup and dress him on Sunday because they want him to be the backup on Sundays. If you don't think he's good enough to be the backup, that's a valid opinion that you're entitled to hold and express. But it just means that you disagree with the staff, not that there's some scheme to unravel and get to the bottom of.

Also, just because you disagree with the staff, it doesn't mean you're wrong. But one would be well served to come with some facts.

Yes I don’t think overall for the franchise that JB Is the best option taking up space and reps at QB.  So I disagree with the staff there.

I think that JB would possibly give the team a better chance to win a 2nd halfof a game with the lead.  But if the team needed to make up a couple of TDS I have zero confidence.

aganst a team you don’t need to score much against JB might be a better option, but aganst a high scoring team, it’s a pretty good bet JB is not going to be able to keep up on the scoreboard.

but overall I think the team would be better off with the developing QB taking 2nd team snaps and mop up duty.  

I think we are not quite ready to compete for a SB yet.  So I probably disageee with the staff there too and I would expect just about every independent type of football person outside Indy.  So that factors into why I don’t think JB is the best option.

i think it’s possible if nit probable that the AV and JB special treatment doesn’t sit well with players .  Yes it’s a theory but ecverything said by everyone here is with the exception of numbers and quotes.  I am not citing this idea as “proof” of anything.  

there is a reason why deposed expensive starters who’ve been demoted rarely if ever remain on a team after that Supe.  Can you think of anyone?

On 9/29/2020 at 7:43 AM, Shadow_Creek said:

Before i begin i just want to say that i'm not taking any shots at anyone but only keeping things real. That being said i dont get it. I just dont understand why Jacoby a person were not going to be resigning next season is our back up QB and not Eason. I know people say hes our best back up QB but again hes on his way out the door i mean why not have Eason a QB who is suppose to be our future on this team be the backup and have Brissett be the third stringer? i ask this because if you look at the packers you see Love as the backup aka the future starter, Tua on the dolphins is the backup for Fitz again future starter, then there's Hurts on the eagles behind wentz another one. These guys i mention wont start right away but at least they'll be ready when called upon i mean Herbert on the chargers has put up fine numbers these last two games and he never saw any Pre season action. So my question is why cant we have Eason be the one taking the snaps when were up by big margins instead of someone who wont be on the team after this season?

1) Jordan Love is listed as the 3rd string QB for the Packers on their official depth chart.

2) Jalen Hurts was 3rd string for at least Week 1 for the Eagles.

3) if you had to win an NFL game tomorrow, Jacoby Brissett gives you a much better chance of doing that than Jacob Eason does. Pretty simple. 
4) Development comes from coaching, practice and analyzing film, not where you’re listed at on the game day depth chart each week when the franchise you play for also has two $20+ Million dollar QB’s on the roster. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think we are not quite ready to compete for a SB yet.  So I probably disageee with the staff there too and I would expect just about every independent type of football person outside Indy.  So that factors into why I don’t think JB is the best option.

I think the major point of difference there is that, whether you're knocking on the door of SB contention or not, an NFL staff still wants a backup QB that they think can give them a chance to win a couple games if the starter is out for a month or so. For all his faults, JB did that in 2017 (2-2 in his first two starts, two weeks after joining the team, with a bad coaching staff), and in 2019 (5-2 before he got hurt). 

I think there's also a difference in approach from fans/media, and real teams. Fans/media size up a team right away, and if they categorize the team as being anything less than a contender, they feel like the team should commit to developing a young QB asap. It's important for the Colts to find the next guy, but they obviously feel like they have a shot this year. So they value having a backup QB who can hold the fort, if necessary.

The importance of holding the fort vs developing a young QB is something that probably varies from team to team. This year, and for this team, I think holding the fort is more important. 

i think it’s possible if nit probable that the AV and JB special treatment doesn’t sit well with players .  Yes it’s a theory but ecverything said by everyone here is with the exception of numbers and quotes.  I am not citing this idea as “proof” of anything.  

there is a reason why deposed expensive starters who’ve been demoted rarely if ever remain on a team after that Supe.  Can you think of anyone?

It's possible that something about the JB situation doesn't sit well with some of the players on the team. I don't think there's any evidence to support that theory.

I think the AV situation in 2019 is far different than the JB situation in 2019 and 2020. I don't agree with categorizing the treatment of JB as "special treatment." He got a contract, didn't live up to the value of the contract, but still has value to this team this year, so he's still on the roster.

The idea that a group of guys who have been pretty openly supportive of JB for the past year would sour on him because they called a red zone play for him in the opener -- especially in a year with no preseason -- just seems far fetched. Especially since no one has said anything negative about JB to this point.

And yes, it's rare that demoted starters, particularly at QB, stay on the team for another season after they've been replaced. But 2020 is different, and so far there's no evidence that the situation has been a problem in the locker room. I'm not anticipating a problem there, especially if Rivers plays well enough and the team is winning games.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now you are rambling. 

Yep. Pride and taking things personal on a forum thread is a thing you get sucked into before realizing it is happening. We have had hundreds of threads where you see a poster trying so hard to convince the others to see it their way that they forget the practical possibility of just agreeing to disagree and move on. If out of 40 posts on a page, I have 10 posts at least going back and forth, chances are that I am getting way too caught up in every difference of opinion and rebuttal. That would be a good time for me to think, stop and move on!!! :) 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the major point of difference there is that, whether you're knocking on the door of SB contention or not, an NFL staff still wants a backup QB that they think can give them a chance to win a couple games if the starter is out for a month or so. For all his faults, JB did that in 2017 (2-2 in his first two starts, two weeks after joining the team, with a bad coaching staff), and in 2019 (5-2 before he got hurt). 

I think there's also a difference in approach from fans/media, and real teams. Fans/media size up a team right away, and if they categorize the team as being anything less than a contender, they feel like the team should commit to developing a young QB asap. It's important for the Colts to find the next guy, but they obviously feel like they have a shot this year. So they value having a backup QB who can hold the fort, if necessary.

The importance of holding the fort vs developing a young QB is something that probably varies from team to team. This year, and for this team, I think holding the fort is more important. 

It's possible that something about the JB situation doesn't sit well with some of the players on the team. I don't think there's any evidence to support that theory.

I think the AV situation in 2019 is far different than the JB situation in 2019 and 2020. I don't agree with categorizing the treatment of JB as "special treatment." He got a contract, didn't live up to the value of the contract, but still has value to this team this year, so he's still on the roster.

The idea that a group of guys who have been pretty openly supportive of JB for the past year would sour on him because they called a red zone play for him in the opener -- especially in a year with no preseason -- just seems far fetched. Especially since no one has said anything negative about JB to this point.

And yes, it's rare that demoted starters, particularly at QB, stay on the team for another season after they've been replaced. But 2020 is different, and so far there's no evidence that the situation has been a problem in the locker room. I'm not anticipating a problem there, especially if Rivers plays well enough and the team is winning games.

wrestler yes GIF

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the major point of difference there is that, whether you're knocking on the door of SB contention or not, an NFL staff still wants a backup QB that they think can give them a chance to win a couple games if the starter is out for a month or so.

I've always thought that when people say stuff like - "We are not ready to compete for a Superbowl this year" they are jumping off too soon.  Really every team in the AFC except the Chiefs and Ravens could say that.  But the truth is that the preseason favorite doesn't always win it all.  I think every team that can will make the playoffs can win the Superbowl.  The Titans got pretty close to making it last year.  I think when you are a good enough team to make the playoffs, you should play out the season as though you want to do what you can for this year, not for next.  

Just now, Myles said:

I've always thought that when people say stuff like - "We are not ready to compete for a Superbowl this year" they are jumping off too soon.  Really every team in the AFC except the Chiefs and Ravens could say that.  But the truth is that the preseason favorite doesn't always win it all.  I think every team that can will make the playoffs can win the Superbowl.  The Titans got pretty close to making it last year.  I think when you are a good enough team to make the playoffs, you should play out the season as though you want to do what you can for this year, not for next.  

The bolded is 100% correct. Fans and GMs shouldn't be thinking "are we good enough to win the SB?" They should be thinking, "are we good enough to make the playoffs?" Once you make the playoffs, anything can happen.

Archived