Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup Quarterback Confusion...

Shadow_Creek

16 hours ago, Nickster said:

So a bunch of you are saying JB is a good backup.  What evidence Is there that he’s a good back up?

He has not played as a backup with the Colts, he was the starter the entire year both years he played and was subpar at least to the Indy brass since they hired a middle aged guy and drafted a rookie.

does being a bad starter qualify him for being a good backup?

he did play a game or so with NE as a backup, spot starter 

you guys are deeming him a “good backup” as if it’s gospel truth.  By what criteria?

He was never supposed to be our starter, and was brought in to be the back up to Luck, now Rivers. No doubt JB proved himself not starter material, hence Rivers. In spot duty, maybe even a game or 2, he absutely is a good option. No one said great that I know of.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Myles said:

I base it off of the Colts having him as the backup right now.  They believe he is more game ready than Eason.  I think if the Colts season was all but over (4-8) they would look to see what Eason has for the future.   I think they are probably doing it right.   

It's really silly to think they'd put Eason in a meaningful game if JB was available.  I'd love to agree with you about putting Eason in if the season went off the rails.  But after game 16 last year, I'm not sure the coaches would even do that.

I think the only scenario we see Eason is if Rivers and JB are both out for the year.  Or if Rivers is out for the year and we're either getting blown out or we're blowing out the other team.  In mop up duty, in other words.

16 hours ago, Nickster said:

So a bunch of you are saying JB is a good backup.  What evidence Is there that he’s a good back up?

He has not played as a backup with the Colts, he was the starter the entire year both years he played and was subpar at least to the Indy brass since they hired a middle aged guy and drafted a rookie.

does being a bad starter qualify him for being a good backup?

he did play a game or so with NE as a backup, spot starter 

you guys are deeming him a “good backup” as if it’s gospel truth.  By what criteria?

So he's not a good backup because he hasn't payed as a backup? Because he played as a starter, then didn't play as a backup when Luck started, then played again as a starter..... I'd actually argue that Luck was the starter JB's first year with us and due to Luck's injury, JB played as a backup. Either way, that's ridiculous logic.

JB is a lower-level starter/high-level backup. You don't want him starting, but he's exactly what you want as a backup QB. He can step right in and at the very least keep things afloat.

Who would you consider to be the best backup QB's in the league right now and why?

23 minutes ago, Shive said:

So he's not a good backup because he hasn't payed as a backup? Because he played as a starter, then didn't play as a backup when Luck started, then played again as a starter..... I'd actually argue that Luck was the starter JB's first year with us and due to Luck's injury, JB played as a backup. Either way, that's ridiculous logic.

JB is a lower-level starter/high-level backup. You don't want him starting, but he's exactly what you want as a backup QB. He can step right in and at the very least keep things afloat.

Who would you consider to be the best backup QB's in the league right now and why?

He's top two in my mind.  Probably top three in anyone who knows football's opinion.  I'd say Dalton is the best backup.

But being a good backup doesn't always mean how well you played.  Sorgi was good at helping Peyton prepare for the games.  Good backups will see things during a game and point them out to the starter.  They're good in the film room.  And they're respected by the team.  And yes, they have to be ready to play if the starter goes down. 

16 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The range for Jacoby seems pretty accurate in these rankings. Somewhere between the 4th-best and 11th-best backup QB in the league. I'd say closer to 4th than 11th.    

4th-best backup QB: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-backup-quarterback-rankings-where-do-rookies-slot-in

5th-best: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-backup-qb-power-rankings-from-1-32-andy-dalton-gives-cowboys-elite-option-behind-dak-prescott/

11th-best: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-backup-quarterbacks-going-into-the-2020-nfl-season

This is very reasonable. I would put him somewhere in the top 3rd of backup QBs. After that...I would just be nitpicking. 

But how much value does a "top" backup QB really have vs. other backup QBs? Because there seems to be several backup QBs in the NFL that will give a good team with a good roster a chance to win a game.

Just last season...Devin Hodges went 3-3...Mason Rudolph went 5-3...Kyle Allen went 5-7...even Brandon Allen went 1-2. And JB was 7-7. So essentially...a chance to be a .500 team.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably the best post on this whole thread because it is clear to the point with a few short words. Some people hate JB so much that they just want him gone. I thought all of us were past that at this point because he is a much needed backup. Also he clearly isn't a distraction to the team, if he was he would've been cut by Ballard. That is common sense. We are 2-1 and he has accepted his role as backup. 

One last thing, how anyone can count 2017 criticizing JB's performance is just reaching. A healthy Andrew Luck would've had trouble making the playoffs with that roster. That was easily the worse roster we have had all decade.

I don't blame JB for the outcome that season...but he definitely isn't above criticism for his part in it. It's like we have gotten to the point where neither Ballard or JB get any credit fort the 2017 season...like it didn't even happen. 

I didn't expect JB to be a world-beater that first year...but it was his second year in the league...and there we almost no progression from the beginning to the end of the season. In fact...he regressed in the second half of the season. 

He had a very similar regression last year as well...so much so that Ballard and Reich decided he can't be the starter.

As for Luck...he probably doesn't make the playoffs in 2017. But a hurt Luck went 8-8 the year before...and I would argue that 2016 team was as bad as the 2017 team...that was just a bad time for Colts fans. 

19 hours ago, Superman said:

Is this a serious post?

Are you prepared to argue that he's NOT a good backup?

yes.  By what criteria is JB definitely a good backup?

I mean is it simply true like "Thus spake Superman" ?

Yes I think I am well prepared to argue that he is not necessarily a good back up.  

So you start.  Why is he a good back up?

No I don't really want to argue it becasue it would just be what I said last year.  But I am interested in why you think it's definite that he's a "good backup".

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Define good backup.

I am not the one who thinks he's a good backup Supe.   You are the one who has basically deemed him a good backup.  What does that mean to you?

I think he's a bad QB period.

Also, I am having trouble thinking of any highly paid QBs who were kept the next season as a backup after the club had determined he was not going to continue starting.

It seems like an odd, arrangement.  

I personally think JBs status is because of the bad contract he was given.  It's not uncommon in sports for teams to be stubborn with guys they gave a lot of money who didn't perform.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

A good back up is a QB who is fully versed in the offense, is prepared continuously to be the guy at a moments notice, does so in a supportive manner, assists the starter in breaking down film of opponents, and is tough both physically and mentally. 

that sounds like Steve young. Even won a Superbowl too best back up ever in my OP

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

A good back up is a QB who is fully versed in the offense, is prepared continuously to be the guy at a moments notice, does so in a supportive manner, assists the starter in breaking down film of opponents, and is tough both physically and mentally. 

Personally, I think you would need to start with the guy being a good NFL QB.  Doesn't matter if he's versed if he ain't no good.  Doesn't matter if he's supportive if he ain't no good.  You can hire him as a consultant if he is good at breaking down film if he ain't no good.  Doesn't matter if he mentally and physically tough if he ain't no good.

From the teams perspective, I can understand the choice of Brissett as the backup QB.  He has been there 3 years, knows the playbook, and is paid much money.  For what it is worth, I don't think Brissett is a very good QB at all.  If the Colts right now got an offer to trade Brissett to a team that had a QB injury for a WR or draft pick, I think they should do it in a second.

Now, as the season goes on the get more familiar with Eason, I could see them making Brissett inactive and Eason the backup.  Rivers is an ironman and they gain little by having Brissett as backup since we all know he is gone after this year.  I think of teams like the Patriots last year.  They drafted Jared Stidham and he was the backup to Tom Brady as a rookie. I know this is a crucial year for Ballard because he has had a losing season two out of three years.  Incidently, Brissett was the starting in the two losing seasons.  So I hope by the end of the year, Eason is the one designated as the backup just to get him more reps and maybe some game experience. I think it is impossible to be worse than Brissett!

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Also, I am having trouble thinking of any highly paid QBs who were kept the next season as a backup after the club had determined he was not going to continue starting.

This is the real reason for all the hand-wringing over JB. You don't like his salary. Neither does anyone else. That doesn't mean he's not a good backup.

You won't set any criteria for what makes a good backup? So now you can characterize anyone as not a good backup without any rhyme or reason... You're dodging. Make a real argument, please.

We have a backup who can complete 65% of his passes, doesn't turn the ball over, knows the offense and can move the ball and get points on the board, can handle adversity, and can do enough to help your team win two of three games if your starter is out for a month. That's a good backup. 

A better backup is a guy who can do all that mentioned above, and has the potential to be a quality starter. I don't believe in JB's potential to be a quality starter. That doesn't mean he isn't a good backup.

7 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

From the teams perspective, I can understand the choice of Brissett as the backup QB.  He has been there 3 years, knows the playbook, and is paid much money.  For what it is worth, I don't think Brissett is a very good QB at all.  If the Colts right now got an offer to trade Brissett to a team that had a QB injury for a WR or draft pick, I think they should do it in a second.

Now, as the season goes on the get more familiar with Eason, I could see them making Brissett inactive and Eason the backup.  Rivers is an ironman and they gain little by having Brissett as backup since we all know he is gone after this year.  I think of teams like the Patriots last year.  They drafted Jared Stidham and he was the backup to Tom Brady as a rookie. I know this is a crucial year for Ballard because he has had a losing season two out of three years.  Incidently, Brissett was the starting in the two losing seasons.  So I hope by the end of the year, Eason is the one designated as the backup just to get him more reps and maybe some game experience. I think it is impossible to be worse than Brissett!

“We” know nothing about who will be in the QB room next year

All “we” know is that he is on an expiring contract 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is the real reason for all the hand-wringing over JB. You don't like his salary. Neither does anyone else. That doesn't mean he's not a good backup.

You won't set any criteria for what makes a good backup? So now you can characterize anyone as not a good backup without any rhyme or reason... You're dodging. Make a real argument, please.

We have a backup who can complete 65% of his passes, doesn't turn the ball over, knows the offense and can move the ball and get points on the board, can handle adversity, and can do enough to help your team win two of three games if your starter is out for a month. That's a good backup. 

A better backup is a guy who can do all that mentioned above, and has the potential to be a quality starter. I don't believe in JB's potential to be a quality starter. That doesn't mean he isn't a good backup.

belgium soccer GIF by Sporza

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said I don't think he's a good QB.  That is the #1 criteria.  Supe come on man.  

He had a good game against Houston last year.  He was pretty good v. ATL.  Other than that he was no good.  Ever.  Not last year not in 2017.

There is another issue.  I want my backup to keep his mouth shut when talking about starting.

Jacoby is a slow footed, slow minded (when it comes to foobball, he could be Einstein for all I know), can basically only succeed in no read plays, takes way too many sacks, makes everyone from linemen to recievers to coaching look worse because of his severe limitations at QB IMO.

There is nothing that he does particulary well other than take a hit and buy time, but he rarely finds anyone downfield when this happens.

He didn't turn it over becasue he rarely throws the ball past 10 yds of the LOS.  

What does he do well?  Why are we having "pacakages' for a backup QB whom no one wants?  He's not fast, he's not accurate, he doesn't have a quick release.  

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

“We” know nothing about who will be in the QB room next year

All “we” know is that he is on an expiring contract 

"We" know right now the only QB on the Colts roster under contract for next year is Jacob Eason.  So that is what I will base my comments on.

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I personally think JBs status is because of the bad contract he was given.  It's not uncommon in sports for teams to be stubborn with guys they gave a lot of money who didn't perform.

By the way, think about what you're implying here.

The Colts extended JB last season, overpaying him by any reasonable accounting. He was the Day 1 starter once Luck retired. Even when the team was 5-2 and the staff was saying only nice things about JB, it was obvious they were holding some things back on game day. It was also obvious that JB had some shortcomings as a passer and playmaker.

The season begins to unravel, JB gets hurt, his play continues to deteriorate, the play calling gets even more conservative, we go 2-7 and finish 7-9. The QBing was a sore spot throughout that rough finish. After the season, the GM is asked directly about JB, and declines to endorse him as the answer to our QB position.

The offseason begins. Right away, they sign another veteran QB to a sizable one year contract, and name him the starter. The draft rolls around, the team drafts a big armed QB in the 4th round. JB continues as QB2, despite the team having two options to release him and reduce the money they owe him.

Weeks 1-3, JB is the active backup.

Also, this is a front office that cut a 4th round pick before opening day a couple years ago, that signed Hankins to a big three year contract and then released him after one season, and that signed Pierre Desir to a big three year contract then released him after one season. "Stubborn with guys they gave a lot of money too" or spent draft resources on isn't something that this staff should ever be accused of.

They kept JB this season because they think he's a good backup. As in, he can come in for a couple weeks to a month and still give your team a chance to go .500 or better if your starter is hurt. Or gets COVID.

It's very simple, really. 

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He had a good game against Houston last year.  He was pretty good v. ATL.  Other than that he was no good.  Ever.  Not last year not in 2017.

The only way I agree with this is if "good" equals 'capable of putting the team on his back.' He had other good games, including the opener. And other games that were good enough to give the team a chance to win.

There is another issue.  I want my backup to keep his mouth shut when talking about starting.

This is irrelevant. It's your own personal issue and has no bearing on whether he's a good backup or not. The team obviously has no problem with it, including his head coach who was a backup for most of his career, and has fully embraced JB's approach as a backup.

What does he do well?  Why are we having "pacakages' for a backup QB whom no one wants?  He's not fast, he's not accurate, he doesn't have a quick release.  

Also not relevant to whether he's a good backup. And the 'whom no one wants' part doesn't track, either, unless you add on 'as a starter.' JB would have suitors in free agency, as a backup.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

By the way, think about what you're implying here.

The Colts extended JB last season, overpaying him by any reasonable accounting. He was the Day 1 starter once Luck retired. Even when the team was 5-2 and the staff was saying only nice things about JB, it was obvious they were holding some things back on game day. It was also obvious that JB had some shortcomings as a passer and playmaker.

The season begins to unravel, JB gets hurt, his play continues to deteriorate, the play calling gets even more conservative, we go 2-7 and finish 7-9. The QBing was a sore spot throughout that rough finish. After the season, the GM is asked directly about JB, and declines to endorse him as the answer to our QB position.

The offseason begins. Right away, they sign another veteran QB to a sizable one year contract, and name him the starter. The draft rolls around, the team drafts a big armed QB in the 4th round. JB continues as QB2, despite the team having two options to release him and reduce the money they owe him.

Weeks 1-3, JB is the active backup.

Also, this is a front office that cut a 4th round pick before opening day a couple years ago, that signed Hankins to a big three year contract and then released him after one season, and that signed Pierre Desir to a big three year contract then released him after one season. "Stubborn with guys they gave a lot of money too" or spent draft resources on isn't something that this staff should ever be accused of.

They kept JB this season because they think he's a good backup. As in, he can come in for a couple weeks to a month and still give your team a chance to go .500 or better if your starter is hurt. Or gets COVID.

It's very simple, really. 

Well if they thought he was a good QB last year they were wrong and had a funny way of showing it by hiring a middle aged QB coming off possibly his worst season and a 4th round draft choice.  

I don't want to see JB enter another meaningful game ever for the Colts becasue I think he's no good.  It's that simple.

If all you are going to argue is that the FO likes him, then that ends every discussion I guess other than to say the Bears liked Trubisky, the Raiders liked Jemarcus Russell, the Skins liked Heath Shuler, etc. etc. etc.

Just because the front office likes a player doesn't really mean he's necessarily good.  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The only way I agree with this is if "good" equals 'capable of putting the team on his back.' He had other good games, including the opener. And other games that were good enough to give the team a chance to win.

This is irrelevant. It's your own personal issue and has no bearing on whether he's a good backup or not. The team obviously has no problem with it, including his head coach who was a backup for most of his career, and has fully embraced JB's approach as a backup.

Also not relevant to whether he's a good backup. And the 'whom no one wants' part doesn't track, either, unless you add on 'as a starter.' JB would have suitors in free agency, as a backup.

Come on Supe.  Do you really think the FO wants Brissett talking about how he's a starter?  I would hope they spoke to him about that.  It's not personal.  NO CLUB wants their back up talking about starting to the media.

That directly says that the staff is wrong about me.  I should be starting.  That is rarely good.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Well if they thought he was a good QB last year they were wrong and had a funny way of showing it by hiring a middle aged QB coming off possibly his worst season and a 4th round draft choice.  

I don't want to see JB enter another meaningful game ever for the Colts becasue I think he's no good.  It's that simple.

If all you are going to argue is that the FO likes him, then that ends every discussion I guess other than to say the Bears liked Trubisky, the Raiders liked Jemarcus Russell, the Skins liked Heath Shuler, etc. etc. etc.

Just because the front office likes a player doesn't really mean he's necessarily good.  

No, you're conflating two separate issues.

I'm saying they have kept him because they like him as a backup and want him available in case he's needed, not because they don't want to admit that they made a mistake in overpaying him.

I'm not saying that the fact that they like him (which they obviously do) means that he's necessarily good.

The fact that they brought in Rivers and Eason is evidence that they have no problem admitting that they don't think JB is a quality starter, despite the fact that they paid him like he is.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Come on Supe.  Do you really think the FO wants Brissett talking about how he's a starter?  I would hope they spoke to him about that.  It's not personal.  NO CLUB wants their back up talking about starting to the media.

That directly says that the staff is wrong about me.  I should be starting.  That is rarely good.

What comment from JB are you talking about? 

Every time Reich or Ballard talks about JB, even when asked about his desire to be a starter, they speak highly of him. They've openly said that they want him to have that desire to be a starter. 

I don't think they have any issue with JB expressing that when he's asked about it. 

You're acting like he's campaigning for the starting job.

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I am not the one who thinks he's a good backup Supe.   You are the one who has basically deemed him a good backup.  What does that mean to you?

I think he's a bad QB period.

It seems like an odd, arrangement.  

It is an odd arrangement for sure. Not in a bad way necessarily...but definitely not the norm. Then again...JB's treatment has really been different from the get go. From refusing to trade him if the situation wasn't right for him...to giving him $28M before he took a snap...to keeping him as a backup after he failed and actually going through with creating silly plays for him. 

They obviously really just like JB...but I don't think he will be back next year. 

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Teams don't want that. But Ballard has also since said he thinks JB is a starter in the league...and will continue to get better. Ballard even publicly defended JB...including against some of the things Ballard himself said. 

As for the media...JB was front and center before the season when the Colts were telling the media their areas of focus for social justice.

Part of me thinks they are very disappointed in how everything has turned out...and there might even be some regrets on how it was played. I am just glad that they realized that this wasn't meant to be the path. 

JB is an ideal backup but with an overpaid salary. The guy thinks he can be a starter, what is wrong with that? I rather have a player that has confidence in himself. He finished his time as a starter with us at .500 last season. That's basically what I would expect from a backup. 

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And just because a fan base likes one quarterback or doesn’t like another  doesn’t mean anything either. 

A competent front office always knows more than the fan base, even when they are wrong.   

If you want to argue the Colts don't have a competent front office — well, good luck with that. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What comment from JB are you talking about? 

Every time Reich or Ballard talks about JB, even when asked about his desire to be a starter, they speak highly of him. They've openly said that they want him to have that desire to be a starter. 

I don't think they have any issue with JB expressing that when he's asked about it. 

You're acting like he's campaigning for the starting job.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-jacoby-brissett-i-know-i-am-a-starter

Most NFL coaches would not want this floating around the locker room.  

56 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It is an odd arrangement for sure. Not in a bad way necessarily...but definitely not the norm. Then again...JB's treatment has really been different from the get go. From refusing to trade him if the situation wasn't right for him...to giving him $28M before he took a snap...to keeping him as a backup after he failed and actually going through with creating silly plays for him. 

They obviously really just like JB...but I don't think he will be back next year. 

Yes I think JBs treatment has been very strange.  He needs to quit and become an agent because he absolutely fleeced the Colts.

I would think players that didn't get paid or were given all this special treatment that JB seems to be given might quietly be a little put off by it.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-jacoby-brissett-i-know-i-am-a-starter

Most NFL coaches would not want this floating around the locker room.  

This is a complete non issue. This is what you want from your players. Would you rather a player have the mindset that they aren't good enough to play competitively in the league? Come on now

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

What??

That is exactly what a coach wants to hear from every player in the locker room. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What??

That is exactly what a coach wants to hear from every player in the locker room. 

Belechik doesn't want to hear his failed backup qB say the word starting to the media and doesn't want to hear from his failed QB how surprised he was at Bill belechiks decision to bench him and hire a middle aged HOF QB man.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Belechik doesn't want to hear his failed backup qB say the word starting to the media and doesn't want to hear from his failed QB how surprised he was at Bill belechiks decision to bench him and hire a middle aged HOF QB man.  

1st- who cares what Belichick don't want. He is not our coach.

2nd- I am sure Frank wants Brissett to have the confidence in himself to make that comment.

3rd- I am realizing you have no clue on the workings of a team or a locker room. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

1st- who cares what Belichick don't want. He is not our coach.

2nd- I am sure Frank wants Brissett to have the confidence in himself to make that comment.

3rd- I am realizing you have no clue on the workings of a team or a locker room. 

1.  Belechik is fairly obviously the greatest NFL coach and possibly the best in any sport ever.  We need to do more things like he does them. Lots of franchises are catching on.  He does not get emotionally attached to players.  It's a business whose bottom line is to win.

2.  theres's a lot I like about Reich, but the JB things seems to be emotionally based.  Sowing seeds of the coaching staff making bad decsions is usually not tolerated.  JB gets kid glove treatment.

3.  None of us Know any thing about anything like that.  This is a message board where people share their opinions.  

Archived