Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Backup Quarterback Confusion...


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I have no problem with Eason starting out as 3rd string. But he should show enough to pass JB or that is a problem that tells me he is not progressing. 

 

In three weeks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before i begin i just want to say that i'm not taking any shots at anyone but only keeping things real. That being said i dont get it. I just dont understand why Jacoby a person were not going to be r

There's no evidence that anyone in the organization or in the locker room has any issue with JB. All evidence to the contrary, as a matter of fact.   I think it's disingenuous of you to theo

Do you want to dress three QBs on game day? Probably not, right? Especially with the injuries at virtually every other position (specifically on offense). The only time you dress three QBs on game day

4 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

If JB is viewed as a better QB then Eason at this point then that is a problem. 

Do you have any understanding that Eason is viewed as a high-potential quarterback who is raw - and a bit of a project? There are reasons that despite his physical gifts, he wasn't picked until the fourth round. Some people thought he left Washington for the draft too soon. Here's a link to last season's Pac-12 All-Conference Team.: https://pac-12.com/article/2019/12/09/pac-12-football-all-conference-honors-announced. You won't find Eason on the first team, the second team or even honorable mention. But just months later, if he isn't ready for NFL playing time yet over a veteran who started last year, it's a problem?   

 

On the plus side, the Colts' Julian Blackmon of Utah was a first-team All Pac-12 pick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some people are having a hard time accepting that the Colts don’t hate Jacoby as much as they do and aren’t looking to get ride of him at every turn.

Well for me I am very anti Jacoby as a player on this team.  I don't hate him, I don't know him.  I simply think it is evident that he is not NFL starter material.  The Colts have proven that they have a similar idea of him when they hired a 40 year old QB and drafted another one.  They obviously thought it was time to move on.  So why not move on?  It is rare and rarely works when a starting QB is on the bench for someone who took his position the next season.  Most of the time that starter moves on.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Eason is showing enough in film study and these extra workout they could feel comfy trading  Brissett before the deadline if someone comes calling. But there is such a saturation with QB right now. It surprised me a team like the broncos wouldn’t ask about Jacoby with Lock being out. Despite me not wanting to see him play his experience could come in handy rather then  starting some of these other backups.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Do you have any understanding that Eason is viewed as a high-potential quarterback who is raw - and a bit of a project? There are reasons that despite his physical gifts, he wasn't picked until the fourth round. Some people thought he left Washington for the draft too soon. Here's a link to last season's Pac-12 All-Conference Team.: https://pac-12.com/article/2019/12/09/pac-12-football-all-conference-honors-announced. You won't find Eason on the first team, the second team or even honorable mention. But just months later, if he isn't ready for NFL playing time yet over a veteran who started last year, it's a problem?   

again I appreciate the discussion.  The question I have is the following. Are the Colts not playing Eason as the 2nd QB becasue they have just simply made a decision that he is not going to play this year OR is it because he is not talented enough to play if Rivers gets hurt.  If it is the second reason then yes that is a concern. If it is the first reason then as a fan I disagree with that approach.  

 

The reason given as to why Eason fell in the draft was as follows: Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported on the live draft broadcast that the Washington product slid in the draft due to work ethic and accountability issues with other teams. If was not a talent issue. 

 

So is he being put on the sideline because of character issue as with CK or is it something else. The reports that I have read seem to say that Eason has been really good character wise and is working hard. 

 

I think he is not number 2 becasue they simply decided in advance he was not going to be number 2 regardless of how he progesses. I just disagree with that line of thinking.  Alast neither Frank or Chris ever call me to get my opinion. But it is fun to discuss.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

again I appreciate the discussion.  The question I have is the following. Are the Colts not playing Eason as the 2nd QB becasue they have just simply made a decision that he is not going to play this year OR is it because he is not talented enough to play if Rivers gets hurt.  If it is the second reason then yes that is a concern. If it is the first reason then as a fan I disagree with that approach.  

 

The reason given as to why Eason fell in the draft was as follows: Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported on the live draft broadcast that the Washington product slid in the draft due to work ethic and accountability issues with other teams. If was not a talent issue. 

 

So is he being put on the sideline because of character issue as with CK or is it something else. The reports that I have read seem to say that Eason has been really good character wise and is working hard. 

 

I think he is not number 2 becasue they simply decided in advance he was not going to be number 2 regardless of how he progesses. I just disagree with that line of thinking.  Alast neither Frank or Chris ever call me to get my opinion. But it is fun to discuss.

Everything we are hearing about Eason is he is working his butt off. Staying over after practice for film study and extra workout with Marcus Brady. It has been reported colts are really impressed. They are clearly taking the extra time to try  and develop him into the future. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Before i begin i just want to say that i'm not taking any shots at anyone but only keeping things real. That being said i dont get it. I just dont understand why Jacoby a person were not going to be resigning next season is our back up QB and not Eason. I know people say hes our best back up QB but again hes on his way out the door i mean why not have Eason a QB who is suppose to be our future on this team be the backup and have Brissett be the third stringer? i ask this because if you look at the packers you see Love as the backup aka the future starter, Tua on the dolphins is the backup for Fitz again future starter, then there's Hurts on the eagles behind wentz another one. These guys i mention wont start right away but at least they'll be ready when called upon i mean Herbert on the chargers has put up fine numbers these last two games and he never saw any Pre season action. So my question is why cant we have Eason be the one taking the snaps when were up by big margins instead of someone who wont be on the team after this season?

I don’t view your post as a shot at Jacoby.

 

But I do think you’re badly confused over the difference between this year and next year.   Jacoby is the backup this year because he’s ready.   Eason is not the backup this year because he’s NOT ready.   It really is just that simple. 
 

Oh,  and if Jordan Love is listed as the backup, why is he inactive for games?  If Rodgers gets hurt, Love doesn’t come in, someone else does.   The situation on every team is different.   Don’t try to compare what one team does against another.   It’s not an apples to apples comparison.

 

The time for dealing with next year will be later, not now.   Certainly sooner if JB gets hurt, but otherwise....   Maybe in December, but I wouldn’t count on it.   It will still be highly unlikely.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nickster said:

I agree to the nth degree. with this assessment.  JB is a distraction and there is something wierd about his pay, his status, him coming in as an option QB on a 4th down, etc.

 

If you are trying to develop a QB, what better time than garbage time v the woeful Jets?

Sorry....    let’s be clear about something.

 

JB is a distraction to YOU.   But not to the team.   When the team reached out to explain their support for the BLM movement, who stepped up to lead?   Jacoby Brissett.

 

You may not love the guy, but this team does.   

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

They obviously thought it was time to move on.  So why not move on?

 

Because he's a good backup. This is elementary. Why are we glossing over it?

 

The only valid complaint about JB this season is his salary. But even if he were being paid vet minimum, he'd still be QB2.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Because he's a good backup. This is elementary. Why are we glossing over it?

 

The only valid complaint about JB this season is his salary. But even if he were being paid vet minimum, he'd still be QB2.

mtv pop GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There is no evidence Eason is better than JB. There is evidence that JB couldn't lead us to the playoffs when starting the entire season in 2017 and 2019 though. So I wouldn't trust him personally for more than a game or two. If Rivers got hurt next week and was out for the season, I would start an unknown Eason for the year instead of a JB where we have seen him be bad one year and mediocre the other for an entire season.

 

Our team was not very good in 2017 and last year we had a lot going on (aside from Luck retiring shortly before the season) in terms of injuries (TY, Funchess, Ebron all missed significant chunks of the season they were supposed to be JBs top 3  receiving threats), kicking woes cost us between 3-5 games, a lot of injuries on D, etc..  and JB still had us right in the playoff  hunt.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

 

The days of QB's sitting behind the starter to learn are gone. Name a starting QB who in this first year was the third string QB who then became a major player. I have no problem with Eason learning behind Rivers. Heck Luck could have "learned" behind Peyton if we kept both but to be 3rd String does not bode well.  Eason apparently has some flawes that as a QB that makes him worst than JB. If so, what are they and how will they be fixed. If he is better the JB and is simply redshirting then that is silly.

 

They are far from gone, actually.  And Rivers, himself started 2004 as a 3rd string QB behind Drew Brees and Doug Flutie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

again I appreciate the discussion.  The question I have is the following. Are the Colts not playing Eason as the 2nd QB becasue they have just simply made a decision that he is not going to play this year OR is it because he is not talented enough to play if Rivers gets hurt.  If it is the second reason then yes that is a concern. If it is the first reason then as a fan I disagree with that approach.  

 

The reason given as to why Eason fell in the draft was as follows: Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported on the live draft broadcast that the Washington product slid in the draft due to work ethic and accountability issues with other teams. If was not a talent issue. 

 

So is he being put on the sideline because of character issue as with CK or is it something else. The reports that I have read seem to say that Eason has been really good character wise and is working hard. 

 

I think he is not number 2 becasue they simply decided in advance he was not going to be number 2 regardless of how he progesses. I just disagree with that line of thinking.  Alast neither Frank or Chris ever call me to get my opinion. But it is fun to discuss.

But talent and work ethic aren't the only two variables. There's also the rather big issue of whether Eason has the mental and physical skills at this point in his career to play the position. His college performance suggest he does not have these skills at this point and the Colts seem to agree with that. One hopes that with a good work ethic he will develop the necessary skills because he has talent, but that doesn't seem likely this season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Some people are having a hard time accepting that the Colts don’t hate Jacoby as much as they do and aren’t looking to get ride of him at every turn.

 

I don't know. I think equating inquiry (or even criticism) to hate is pretty strong.

 

I will say this...the Colts' kid gloves treatment for JB is not really the norm in the NFL. So I don't fault anyone for asking questions. But at this point...he's the backup QB...and it is what it is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s obvious from what you hear his peers say that he’s a natural leader. In a chaotic season like this, with so many variables, we could be a lot worse right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So a bunch of you are saying JB is a good backup.  What evidence Is there that he’s a good back up?

 

He has not played as a backup with the Colts, he was the starter the entire year both years he played and was subpar at least to the Indy brass since they hired a middle aged guy and drafted a rookie.
 

does being a bad starter qualify him for being a good backup?

 

he did play a game or so with NE as a backup, spot starter 

 

you guys are deeming him a “good backup” as if it’s gospel truth.  By what criteria?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

So a bunch of you are saying JB is a good backup.  What evidence Is there that he’s a good back up?

 

He has not played as a backup with the Colts, he was the starter the entire year both years he played and was subpar at least to the Indy brass since they hired a middle aged guy and drafted a rookie.
 

does being a bad starter qualify him for being a good backup?

 

he did play a game or so with NE as a backup, spot starter 

 

you guys are deeming him a “good backup” as if it’s gospel truth.  By what criteria?

 

Is this a serious post?

 

Are you prepared to argue that he's NOT a good backup?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The range for Jacoby seems pretty accurate in these rankings. Somewhere between the 4th-best and 11th-best backup QB in the league. I'd say closer to 4th than 11th.    

 

4th-best backup QB: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-backup-quarterback-rankings-where-do-rookies-slot-in

5th-best: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-backup-qb-power-rankings-from-1-32-andy-dalton-gives-cowboys-elite-option-behind-dak-prescott/

11th-best: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-backup-quarterbacks-going-into-the-2020-nfl-season

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Nickster said:

So a bunch of you are saying JB is a good backup.  What evidence Is there that he’s a good back up?

 

He has not played as a backup with the Colts, he was the starter the entire year both years he played and was subpar at least to the Indy brass since they hired a middle aged guy and drafted a rookie.
 

does being a bad starter qualify him for being a good backup?

 

he did play a game or so with NE as a backup, spot starter 

 

you guys are deeming him a “good backup” as if it’s gospel truth.  By what criteria?

He was our backup behind Luck in 2018. 
 

A good backup QB is someone who:

-Knows the offense and the playbook

-preferably has experience as a starter

-is able to make enough plays and lead the offense while the starter is absent. 
-can avoid costly mistakes and turnovers

-able to lead on the sidelines and on the field.

 

Jacoby has done all of those things. He’s not going to be Nick Foles walking in and winning a super bowl. But he can lead the team to win games when needed. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is no back up QB confusion. 

Rivers is the starter.

Brissett is the back up.

Eason is the 3rd QB still in training. 

Probably the best post on this whole thread because it is clear to the point with a few short words. Some people hate JB so much that they just want him gone. I thought all of us were past that at this point because he is a much needed backup. Also he clearly isn't a distraction to the team, if he was he would've been cut by Ballard. That is common sense. We are 2-1 and he has accepted his role as backup. 

 

One last thing, how anyone can count 2017 criticizing JB's performance is just reaching. A healthy Andrew Luck would've had trouble making the playoffs with that roster. That was easily the worse roster we have had all decade.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Sounds similar to some of the recent criticism I've seen of the Saints and how they're using Hill. 

 

I'm struggling to think of when a gadget/starter QB type combo has worked consistently outside of a few isolated plays. 

Brisset and Hill are not comparable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Sounds similar to some of the recent criticism I've seen of the Saints and how they're using Hill. 

 

I'm struggling to think of when a gadget/starter QB type combo has worked consistently outside of a few isolated plays. 

 

I think people are complaining about Hill because a) he turned the ball over the other day, and b) because the Saints are 1-2. It's all results based.

 

Unlike JB, Hill actually has traits that make him a good gadget player. He's made a lot of plays for the Saints in that role. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Backup QB A, in 7 games: 265 yards/game, 64.5% completions, 14 TDs (6%), 3 INTs (1.3%), 11 sacks, team wins 71% of his starts

 

Backup QB B, in 6 games: 228 yards/game, 67.8% completions, 9 TDs (4.6%), 2 INTs (1%), 12 sacks, team wins 83% of his starts

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I think people are complaining about Hill because a) he turned the ball over the other day, and b) because the Saints are 1-2. It's all results based.

 

Unlike JB, Hill actually has traits that make him a good gadget player. He's made a lot of plays for the Saints in that role. 

JB would probably be great on 4th inches running a QB sneak, we could bring him then. He is big and strong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

 

I don't know. I think equating inquiry (or even criticism) to hate is pretty strong.

 

I will say this...the Colts' kid gloves treatment for JB is not really the norm in the NFL. So I don't fault anyone for asking questions. But at this point...he's the backup QB...and it is what it is.

I didn’t fault anyone for asking questions.  That’s fine,  it’s the people being surprised when the Colts do exactly what they tell you they are going to do because it’s not what they want I am questioning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB would probably be great on 4th inches running a QB sneak, we could bring him then. He is big and strong. 

Yes but that also tells the defense exactly what you are going to do.  It wasn’t a sneak but we saw what happens when the Colts telegraphed a play with Jacoby in the Jags game.  However using Jacoby on sneaks isn’t the worst idea in the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well for me I am very anti Jacoby as a player on this team.  I don't hate him, I don't know him.  I simply think it is evident that he is not NFL starter material.  The Colts have proven that they have a similar idea of him when they hired a 40 year old QB and drafted another one.  They obviously thought it was time to move on.  So why not move on?  It is rare and rarely works when a starting QB is on the bench for someone who took his position the next season.  Most of the time that starter moves on.

 

 

JB is more game ready than Eason right now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm sure they would also take into consideration the improvement of the team in general.  The defense is better than 2017 or 2019, no question.  I don't believe it's a top 3 defense in the league, but it is better.   Almost every position is better, so maybe Brissett could win some games.  Eason is a rookie with no NFL game action.  Brissett would be the guy unless we are something like 4-8.

 

So, you base this on what? Last year? There is an precedent set already!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

The quarterbacks you mentioned were all taken very high, and if you look around the league yes nowadays in the NFL when your drafted high your going to play soon, unless your Jordan Love in GB haha . 

 

Eason was taken in the 4th round, nobody knows if he is going to be are guy. Mahomes' and Wilson's late round quarterback studs don't just fall from the sky its VERY rare.

 

Also what if Rivers get hurt, Eason could very well not even be close to ready for NFL action. We know what we will get with Jacoby, a season could be salvaged with him.

 

Lastly how do you even know JB is on his way out. What if Rivers retires this year, your ready to put all the marbles on an unproven 4th round project quarterback? JB could have a furture with this team yet.

 

Yeah! We sure do!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Eason is showing enough in film study and these extra workout they could feel comfy trading  Brissett before the deadline if someone comes calling. But there is such a saturation with QB right now. It surprised me a team like the broncos wouldn’t ask about Jacoby with Lock being out. Despite me not wanting to see him play his experience could come in handy rather then  starting some of these other backups.

 

IMO, the reason know other teams come calling. He's not a good QB!  Look, ever since JB was traded to the Colts, its been a debacle. I know he was put in a difficult situation but he has not progressed and he's had the chance to do so. I believe JB should of never been a Colt. Ballard had his reasons and i believe he thought for those reasons things would work out but they did not! JB apparently is a leader. At least, that's the narrative, but he's not led successfully! Being a nice guy and everyone's love for you does not make a good QB. Hey, at least Ballard brought back team unity after the Luck fiasco! For that i say SALUTE!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably the best post on this whole thread because it is clear to the point with a few short words. Some people hate JB so much that they just want him gone. I thought all of us were past that at this point because he is a much needed backup. Also he clearly isn't a distraction to the team, if he was he would've been cut by Ballard. That is common sense. We are 2-1 and he has accepted his role as backup. 

 

One last thing, how anyone can count 2017 criticizing JB's performance is just reaching. A healthy Andrew Luck would've had trouble making the playoffs with that roster. That was easily the worse roster we have had all decade.

 

I seriously doubt that statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

Brissett would be the guy unless we are something like 4-8.

So, you base this on what? Last year? There is an precedent set already!

I base it off of the Colts having him as the backup right now.  They believe he is more game ready than Eason.  I think if the Colts season was all but over (4-8) they would look to see what Eason has for the future.   I think they are probably doing it right.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I agree that Ballard has been great.   This team is good and even has depth at most positions. Now is the biggest challenge GM's face.   Finding a franchise QB.  Bringing in Rivers was a good gap move.  I won't fault Ballard too much for the QB spot going forward because when you are drafting in the mid 20's, it's not great odds of getting a top notch QB.  Even trading up doesn't guarantee success and requires a team to give up lots of draft capital.   QB's available in the teens and mid 20's in the 2021 draft may be comparable to Eason.  Not sure the direction Ballard should and will go, but it is a tough opportunity.  
    • Yes, but he looked great when he got one!
    • Imagine Eason’s our QB, it’s easy if you look no need for Fields or Lawrence don’t even mention Book. Imagine Lucas Oil hosting playoffs every year.  Woo Hoo!   (sorry John)    
    • That's if you trust "the media" as /i will never forget the ridiculous choice of RGIII over Luck even though if you looked at what each had to work with and net improvement, it wasn't close, let alone fair.  I don't trust the decision makers, if the press disagrees with them, to pick the right candidate. They haven't been fair before.
    • I have been a colts fan forever and have lived through pretty crappy coaches and GM's. I can say without a doubt the Ballard/Reich regime has the Colts pointing in the right direction. Compared to the last(which i blame for the beginning of the end of AL). Ballard is a finder of talent that no one else sees and Reich and staff can coach these guys up to be successful not just fitting a square peg in round hole. Case in point 2013 draft, Bjorn Werner taken by RG at 24, behind him were the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, Leveone Bell, Travis Kelce, Zack Ertz, Travis Fredick, Cordelle Patterson and Xavier Rhodes(which is funny we have him now). I know there is no crystal ball but all I have mentioned did pretty well in college except for Werner. My point is the roster is stacked with young contributors and that D is now a Monster. Can't wait to see when they turn their attention to the O side. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...