Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New nickname - Rodrigo Clankenship

PrideOfAthens17

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Clankenship is an hilarious nickname but he is 8-10 this year in FG's and hasn't missed an extra point all year either = good. When he misses he clanks I guess lol.

so 80%.... just for giggles... AV finished 79% last year. 

I'm not saying we should have brought AV back, no he needed to retire.  But this kid being our kicker is still stunning to me.  Chase had a better kick percentage during camp and even last year. Still dumbfounded by this choice.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I'm not saying we should have brought AV back, no he needed to retire.  But this kid being our kicker is still stunning to me.  Chase had a better kick percentage during camp and even last year. Still dumbfounded by this choice.

I’d say it’s a bit early to compare the two seasons, primarily for blanks sake. If he’s still at 80% by mid season I’d say we can have the talk then.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

8-10 and making every extra point is good enough, JMO. As long as he doesn't miss one for a game winner. I loved Vinny but he was a disaster at times last season.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

8-10 and making every extra point is good enough, JMO. As long as he doesn't miss one for a game winner. I loved Vinny but he was a disaster at times last season.

im of the same opinion. I'm just watching to see how he does as the season progresses.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Outside of kickers who have made 2 or less FGs(quite a few), Blankenship is tied for 10th best %. 

Tied for 2nd most FGs made.

Not missed any extra points.(hit 1 upright though)

Hes doing fine, both his missed FGs have came from the right hash mark I believe. So need to be setting him up on left side of the field when lining him up.(when possible)

Takes some getting used to(no comfort during FG attempt),

Probably realistically in the 13-17 range of kickers right now, 3 games in. Should get more and more comfortable as the season progresses and improve.

Really not wanting to get into some kicker carrosel situation. Need to let the rookie earn his stripes.

I hope he will be our kicker for a long time. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Hes doing fine, both his missed FGs have came from the right hash mark I believe. So need to be setting him up on left side of the field when lining him up.(when possible)

He also came on the field a little late and rushed the missed kick. He's 16/18 overall through three games, with no preseason, as a rookie. It's kind of low to bang on him at this point. Kickers miss kicks every once in a while.

By the way, if we're going to compare him to AV last year, let's look at AV's numbers through three games. He was 2/5 on XPs, and 3/5 on FGs, 50% overall. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He also came on the field a little late and rushed the missed kick. He's 16/18 overall through three games, with no preseason, as a rookie. It's kind of low to bang on him at this point. Kickers miss kicks every once in a while.

By the way, if we're going to compare him to AV last year, let's look at AV's numbers through three games. He was 2/5 on XPs, and 3/5 on FGs, 50% overall. 

But but but 

South Carolina....

:headspin:

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

AV was 68% in FG last year.  The 78.6% was on XP.

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I was too lazy to check, but i just knew Vinny’s  %  was much lower.

That was ugly at times last year...... it seemed every week he had the yips.

Not that a miss isn't a miss , but this kid's 2 misses are by 2-3 inches. AV was yanking and pushing kicks that were missing by large margins. 

Just now, dw49 said:

Not that a miss isn't a miss , but this kid's 2 misses are by 2-3 inches. AV was yanking and pushing kicks that were missing by large margins. 

Some of them missed the stadium!  I remember a couple ugly duck hooks.  You could see the confusion on his face.  He had no idea how to fix it.

shades of Vandy’s shank.

That affects a team’s psyche  as well.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Blankenship made a higher % than Chase for all kicks tracked by the coaches throughout, performed better in final scrimmage, had a better college career and at 80% is off to a better pace than McLaughlin had last season which was  78.2% (18 0f 23)...so there is that.,....

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like the kid, and think he has all the ability to be an excellent kicker for a long time. He'll determine that over time. But one of the kicks in the clip I saw last night even made the "clank" sound, so it immediately entered my mind when I heard it, and I couldn't help myself.

I had to post it

Season 5 Whatever GIF by CBS All Access

22 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like the kid, and think he has all the ability to be an excellent kicker for a long time. He'll determine that over time. But one of the kicks in the clip I saw last night even made the "clank" sound, so it immediately entered my mind when I heard it, and I couldn't help myself.

I had to post it

Season 5 Whatever GIF by CBS All Access

That is the funniest sound when the football hits the post, it sounds like a big echo boom :funny:

8 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I had to post it

With a nickname of Clankenship, I'm not worried.

When that nickname becomes Shankenship, I'll be worried!

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

With a nickname of Clankenship, I'm not worried.

When that nickname becomes Shankenship, I'll be worried!

Well, we now have his two nicknames for every miss.  

I have to say he does make me a little nervous, especially considering he hasn't had any type of long kick or pressure kick yet.  McLaughlin seemed like the safer pick, but they went with the rookie in Rigoberto and that's working out, so hopefully this does as well.

Archived