Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is The Colts Defense Legit?

Is The Colts Defense Legit?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Colts Defense Legit?

Defense has done a great job of timely turnovers. If that continues, I believe they can finish in the top 5 ... I really hope so, because we just haven't had one of "those" defenses in awhile. It's been fun to watch, even the Jaguars game (If only we didn't have our own turnovers on offense). The Bears game will give us a better idea of where the defense stands.

• Like 1

I realize they haven't played the best offenses yet, but think about how many truly powerful offenses there are right now?  I could only think of about 5 or 6 that would REALLY concern me going into a game.  The rest are kind of up and down, with a handful that kinda suck.  I believe only 2 teams on the Colts schedule are in that handful, and that would be Baltimore and Green Bay.  The Steelers?  I thought about them perhaps but the numbers say the Colts are at least on par with them so far.  What concerns me about the Steelers is defense.  And the Vikings are better than most people think offensively and they were completely shut down.  

So in that light, I think this Colts defense just might be legit.  Does that mean they will completely shut down all teams they face?  Of course not.  It's a work in progress and injuries happen.  But I DO believe they have improved from last season, and I DO believe they have a very legit shot to be a top 10 defense this season.  And that right there should excite Colts fans.

• Like 1

I know the Colts have not yet played the elite, but you don't lead the league in yards against in the NFL with a fake defense. How good they can be will be revealed shortly. A lot will be determined by game planning.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, krunk said:

Seems like the Vikings have no trouble putting up points on everybody else they play. You gotta give the Colts D its due

This is what I keep seeing as well.  The Vikings have moved it and scored on the Packers, Titans, and now the Texans.  They were completely shut down vs. the Colts.  Not only did they stop Dalvin Cook and Adam Thielen, but Cousins had a paltry 5.9 QB rating.  

Today, more of the same.  Foles was supposed to save that Bears offense.  He looked no better than our 38 year old QB today.  We GAVE them the last drive with the prevent.  Prior to that they had less than 200 total yards and 3 points!  A bad defense doesn't do that vs. ANY NFL team.  And they did it without Leonard for the entire 2nd half.

These things just do NOT happen if your defense isn't any good.  How many teams do we need to play, how many excuses do we need to make before we just say "They're pretty good"?

Are they going to allow some points sometime (maybe next week in Cleveland?)?  Of course.   Even good defenses have off days.  But I'd take some more of what I'm seeing the rest of the season and be quite happy with it.  When Turay and Day come back that will add another element to the pass rush.  They'll be able to keep the rotation fresher.

• Like 3
On 9/29/2020 at 6:48 AM, stitches said:

Overall... I doubt it. If this defense is about average at the end of the year, I will chalk that up as a success. 

Why you think that? They've mostly been able to get stops when they need it. They've taken over the game when we need it. At the very least, they are the better unit and as good as the bears D was, we out played them.

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why you think that? They've mostly been able to get stops when they need it. They've taken over the game when we need it. At the very least, they are the better unit and as good as the bears D was, we out played them.

Mostly because we haven't really seen any good offenses yet. Here's opponent's ranking by offensive DVOA:

Jets - 31st

Bears - 25th

Vikings - 23d

Jags - 7th and they moved the ball on us pretty seamlessly... plus... I really don't think Jags offense is even as good as this ranking suggests... I think they will drop too.

Now, caveat here - you can only play whoever is in front of you and generally they've done extremely well shutting down who's been in front of them(Jags excluded) so this is a very positive sign. So yeah... lets see how this season develops, we have some good tests coming up so we will see where this defense lands in the general landscape of NFL defenses. I guess with every next good performance I'm gaining more confidence in them, but I'm just trying not to create unrealistic expectations that will crumble when we meet several good offenses in a row. 

8 hours ago, stitches said:

Mostly because we haven't really seen any good offenses yet. Here's opponent's ranking by offensive DVOA:

Jets - 31st

Bears - 25th

Vikings - 23d

Jags - 7th and they moved the ball on us pretty seamlessly... plus... I really don't think Jags offense is even as good as this ranking suggests... I think they will drop too.

Now, caveat here - you can only play whoever is in front of you and generally they've done extremely well shutting down who's been in front of them(Jags excluded) so this is a very positive sign. So yeah... lets see how this season develops, we have some good tests coming up so we will see where this defense lands in the general landscape of NFL defenses. I guess with every next good performance I'm gaining more confidence in them, but I'm just trying not to create unrealistic expectations that will crumble when we meet several good offenses in a row. 

I guess... but they are ranked low in part because we played them and shut them down.  Yes Jags moved the ball well, but I don't think anyone can argue that the defense has looked entirely different since week 1.  I'm more willing to chalk that up to COVID-19/no pre-season.  And that's your argument or cause for concern - not a big sample size.  I get it.  And I'm not crowning them an elite defense.  But it is a legitimate force and, to me, inarguably a strength of the Colts.  Average defenses don't shut down opposing offenses consistently, even if ranked in the second half of the league.  And we've done it 3 weeks in a row.

I feel like we've wanted this defense since Manning came here and never got it except in between the two super bowl appearances.  So, I find myself wanting to give in and believe . . . and it's been a long time since I have.  Here's to hoping . . .

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I guess... but they are ranked low in part because we played them and shut them down.  Yes Jags moved the ball well, but I don't think anyone can argue that the defense has looked entirely different since week 1.  I'm more willing to chalk that up to COVID-19/no pre-season. 

The problem with that game was just how much it looked like what we've already seen from this defense in previous years. This is why I am willing to give that one a bit more credence than just a random bad week. 

And that's your argument or cause for concern - not a big sample size.  I get it.  And I'm not crowning them an elite defense.  But it is a legitimate force and, to me, inarguably a strength of the Colts. 

Yeah, the sample is small and the sample is skewed towards bad offenses and lower end QBs - Minshew, Cousins, Darnold, Foles. The best of those is about average QB in the league. I want to see more and I want to see them hold up against better offenses and QBs. 

Average defenses don't shut down opposing offenses consistently, even if ranked in the second half of the league.  And we've done it 3 weeks in a row.

3 in a row is not a joke(my comment was written after the Jets game), but again... I want to see them do it over a longer period of time and against better opposition.

I feel like we've wanted this defense since Manning came here and never got it except in between the two super bowl appearances.  So, I find myself wanting to give in and believe . . . and it's been a long time since I have.  Here's to hoping . . .

Indeed... here's to hoping they keep similar level going forward. :cheers:

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's Baldy giving props to our defense:

I also see a really bad offense with crappy predictable playcalling. Colts did a great job scouting this offense...that's for sure. Montgomery is not the type of RB that can improvise.

The Colts defense has been really good...but they have also faced Kubiak, Gase and Nagy offenses...three of (imo) the worst going. I expect it will get much more difficult next week. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah, the sample is small and the sample is skewed towards bad offenses and lower end QBs - Minshew, Cousins, Darnold, Foles. The best of those is about average QB in the league. I want to see more and I want to see them hold up against better offenses and QBs. 

3 in a row is not a joke(my comment was written after the Jets game), but again... I want to see them do it over a longer period of time and against better opposition.

And that's where I would hesitate.  A greater QB can shred any defense.  Manning did it when he was on level 10.  Brady and Brees for sure could.  Rodgers obviously.  But we did punch Mahomes in the face last year and not many teams can say that.  Consistency is the question for me and 3 out of 4 is a good step in the right direction.  Buckner, bro...dude destroys lol.

• Like 1

So..........the question is if the Colts defense handles the Browns in Cleveland this Sunday are you going to believe then?  Or is it going to be more of the same = lack of proof?

I think for some there won't be enough proof until they face Rodgers and the Packers.  That's 6 games out.  Who knows what these rosters will look like by then?

I have to mention again bc i see Minnesota being completely dismissed by all of you. They've put up 30 or better on all their opponents except us. And theyve played good teams so why are they being dismissed as a good offense weve played? Whats wrong with Tenn and Green Bay as opponents? Minnesota did it to both of them. And it isnt like Houston doesnt have some good pieces on their D.  Minny put up 30 on them as well. Colts made Minny look like Chicago. Actually worse! Please explain.......

• Like 1
On 10/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, AZColt11 said:

So..........the question is if the Colts defense handles the Browns in Cleveland this Sunday are you going to believe then?  Or is it going to be more of the same = lack of proof?

I think for some there won't be enough proof until they face Rodgers and the Packers.  That's 6 games out.  Who knows what these rosters will look like by then?

When they win they tell us "we're 1-0".  I take them at their word.  Theres no need to argue legit vs non legit.  In 12 weeks (or hopefully in feb) we can look back at the whole season and hand out nicknames and such.  The offseason begs for that kinda stuff. 

They've played at a high level vs the opponents they've faced post Minshew.  Every fan hopes it continues.  Til it's on the field tho........doesnt matter. 

Remember how dominant our O line is supposed to be? they've looked good but honestly not up to expectations.

I wont bury them tho, nor will I worship the D.  Recency bias should be avoided IMO.  Brissett taught me that.  Every week they get a chance to put it on film.  1-0

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

When they win they tell us "we're 1-0".  I take them at their word.  Theres no need to argue legit vs non legit.  In 12 weeks (or hopefully in feb) we can look back at the whole season and hand out nicknames and such.  The offseason begs for that kinda stuff. 

They've played at a high level vs the opponents they've faced post Minshew.  Every fan hopes it continues.  Til it's on the field tho........doesnt matter. 

Remember how dominant our O line is supposed to be? they've looked good but honestly not up to expectations.

I wont bury them tho, nor will I worship the D.  Recency bias should be avoided IMO.  Brissett taught me that.  Every week they get a chance to put it on film.  1-0

Here here........and here's hoping they put it on film again Sunday.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, coming on strong said:

Wait until turray comes back he took a huge step forward last year before getting hurt.  He was getting constant pressure and all over the field .  He will be a elite pass rusher .

Apparently he was working on the side yesterday at practice. Should be back after the bye week.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:57 AM, Dogg63 said:

Interesting comparison. The most direct common thread is having Buckner at the 3T.

Cover 3 style similar to Seattle Seahawks and 49ers (Saleh used to coach with the Seahawks before becoming DC there), interior guy in Buckner that was critical, I can see all the similarities. Now, if we can get the edge burst back with Turay to go with Houston, we'd be generating more turnovers.

The only 2 teams I worry about on our schedule are the Packers and Steelers - good OL and good firepower on offense with balance. Of course, any given Sunday, the Browns will be a good litmus test going against a good OL.

Ravens, I feel their OL has regressed and I realized Marshall Yanda is no longer there, and Lamar has been pressured a lot and running for his life instead of picking the lanes to run through, IMO. We might be able to handle the Ravens with a healthy defense and our speedy LBs.

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 8:29 AM, jmac_48 said:

To the OP...

We are about to find out!

:coltslogo: :coltslogo: :coltslogo:

Absolutely.  If this defense can hold this Browns team down without one of its best players, they will have earned the #1 defense claim IMHO.