Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jets: Good, Bad, and the Ugly


Recommended Posts

 

 

Good
-Rivers looked crisp and accurate for a 2nd week in a row. Nice zip too.
-Mo is looking more and more legit, and led the team in separation.
-TY got a little better separation, and was 3/3.
-Taylor did pretty well against a good run D
-Hines in the passing game again, thank you
-Pittman coming on, Fountain getting his feet wet
-Zero turnovers on O!
-Three INT turnovers on D including two P6s.
-Rhodes looking more like 2016 and 17, than 18 and 19. PFF now 89.0. That's huge.
-Great game by S Tavon Wilson. 2 TFL, 4 solo Ts, 1 PD in only 36% of snaps. Blackmon has comp.
-So fun watching Buckner. Disruptive and 88.6 PFF.
-AQM continues to exceed expectation pass rushing (2 QBHs)
-OL gave up zero sacks, and zero TFLs.


Bad
-Running Hines between the Ts too much, and especially goal line.
-Offense only scoring 20 on a bad NYJ team
-O gameplan of Pass/Run mix of 25/31 vs a good run D. 
-Banogu not much production despite logging 38% of D snaps

-Not really bad, but Blackmon was went a bit quiet after a nice debut.
-Another kicking team miss. Sorry, after rewatching, the snap and hold didn't look bad.
-Even though our DL got pressure, we should have had more sacks vs that OL. Our quickest sack was Houston's 5 second sack, which is pretty slow.


Ugly
-Okes coverage on NYJ's first TD. PFF a horrible 45.0 so far in 2020
-Willis coverage at times, especially at the 8:31 mark in the 2nd.
-Tackling early. We made Darnold look like Lamar Jackson running around the yard
-Pittman injury. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Defense cleaned up in the 2nd quarter and 2nd half. But yes, at the start we made him look like Mahomes with the awful attempts at tackling. Lots of coverage issues need to be cleaned up. 

The 3 recycled DBs (Wilson, Carrie, and Rhodes) all played well lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely agree about Okereke, I personally remember 3 plays where he was 5 feet behind the guy he was covering. Darnold missed one that would've been a 20+ yarder.

 

Hot Rod better stop clanking the iron on kicks as well. I'm still nervous with any type of kick.

 

We look 'solid' overall so let's hope for improvement.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be good if Tavon W. can keep playing well... I don't see him being major competition to Blackmon, but as Blackmon is still getting used to that knee, it'll be nice if we can rest him around ~2/3 of the game and not drop off.  I wouldn't mind 50/50 or whatever the coaches decide if T.W. can keep up play like yesterday, but IMO, the coaches are gonna do everything they can to keep Blackmon on the right path to recovery. Even though he's out on the field and playing well, that injury usually takes a while for all strength, etc. to be fully returned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely agree about Okereke, I personally remember 3 plays where he was 5 feet behind the guy he was covering. Darnold missed one that would've been a 20+ yarder.

Yup. IIRC, the WR dropped it badly too.

 

I think Oke is leading the team in missed tackles through the first two games as well. I'll take a look Wednesday when the advanced stuff comes out for the Jets game on that topic, but pretty sure he whiffed on a least one again.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

 

Hot Rod better stop clanking the iron on kicks as well. I'm still nervous with any type of kick.

I just don't have a good feeling about Hot Rod right now. 

 

Chase is sitting on the Vikes PS lol... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

It will be good if Tavon W. can keep playing well... I don't see him being major competition to Blackmon, but as Blackmon is still getting used to that knee, it'll be nice if we can rest him around ~2/3 of the game and not drop off.  I wouldn't mind 50/50 or whatever the coaches decide if T.W. can keep up play like yesterday, but IMO, the coaches are gonna do everything they can to keep Blackmon on the right path to recovery. Even though he's out on the field and playing well, that injury usually takes a while for all strength, etc. to be fully returned.

Wondering what scheme Wilson came from. Might do some research on him tonight. I know he was drafted 2nd round by the Pats, who have a lot of DBs. Perhaps a change in scheme has done him well. He started out at FS with them, and moved to SS IIRC. 

 

Regardless, hell of game he played this week. An 82.5 PFF is very strong.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wondering what scheme Wilson came from. Might do some research on him tonight. I know he was drafted 2nd round by the Pats, who have a lot of DBs. Perhaps a change in scheme has done him well. He started out at FS with them, and moved to SS IIRC. 

 

Regardless, hell of game he played this week. An 82.5 PFF is very strong.

 

Yes, I had to look up his number... ha, I saw Q. Wilson (our former 31) was out for NYJ before the game and when I saw a highlight of 31 Wilson with a Colts jersey on, for some reason (I was watching in a bar without sound on the Colts game) I thought "oh maybe they're doing some sort of deal about how many Jets used to be Colts.." then after a few more big plays, I realized we had a new #31 Wilson in town.. like you said, he playing sparingly, but he played very well (From what I could tell) when he was in there...

 

He was in Detroit the past 3 seasons... I'm not sure if he switched from FS to SS or what he did there, but I know last year was his best year, stats wise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

Yes, I had to look up his number... ha, I saw Q. Wilson (our former 31) was out for NYJ before the game and when I saw a highlight of 31 Wilson with a Colts jersey on, for some reason (I was watching in a bar without sound on the Colts game) I thought "oh maybe they're doing some sort of deal about how many Jets used to be Colts.." then after a few more big plays, I realized we had a new #31 Wilson in town.. like you said, he playing sparingly, but he played very well (From what I could tell) when he was in there...

 

He was in Detroit the past 3 seasons... I'm not sure if he switched from FS to SS or what he did there, but I know last year was his best year, stats wise.

Yep, I know he was in Detroit, I just don't know the scheme.

I found it interesting BB drafted him early, and he spent 4 years in NE. That alone gives it a little mystery and romance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some of our depth payers have stepped up in the last two weeks and given us nice production. MAC, Wilkins, Carrie and Wilson have had good moments. Stallworth has been solid rotating in for Big Grover too. 

 

The Bears will be a big test for our offense, now that we are essentially down 3 starting skill position players. We will need more players to step up (Fountain, Dulin, possibly Patmon)

 

I expect our defense to play well against the Bears O.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yep, I know he was in Detroit, I just don't know the scheme.

I found it interesting BB drafted him early, and he spent 4 years in NE. That alone gives it a little mystery and romance.

From what I can tell, he was pretty decent in NE, but he was behind two very good safeties so his chances of starting were next to nill, and BB figured he could replace him with another 4 year rookie deal youngster. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When the defense scores twice,  it will hinder the ability of the offense to score more than 20.  Also,  backups finished the game.   I don't see the offense scoring 20 a bad thing

We only had two good sustained drives all game. One each half. That's just not good vs the Jets. Our 3rd down conversation % isn't a good stat anyway you spin it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

From what I can tell, he was pretty decent in NE, but he was behind two very good safeties so his chances of starting were next to nill, and BB figured he could replace him with another 4 year rookie deal youngster. 

That's why it's mysterious and romantic lol (all the good DBs in NE). 

I thought I read he was a starter in Detroit last year. Just wondering why he was discarded and how we got him cheap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked out Nextgen's gamecenter stats for the game.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/game-center

 

River's tore it up all over the field, especially the right side.

 

On D, our left side D, is noticeably better than our seam and right side D.

 

Rushing - no surprise, but Hines with 3 attempts and 3 yards between the Ts. I thought that 11 yard run was between the Ts, but guess it was outside the LT. Taylor's between the T running was better than I expected with 8 for 42.

 

And while Muhammad only had 1 QBH, his penetration stats (aver QB sep) is pretty darn good (comparable to Buckner). 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just checked out Nextgen's gamecenter stats for the game.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/game-center

 

River's tore it up all over the field, especially the right side.

 

On D, our left side D, is noticeably better than our seam and right side D.

 

Rushing - no surprise, but Hines with 3 attempts and 3 yards between the Ts. I thought that 11 yard run was between the Ts, but guess it was outside the LT. Taylor's between the T running was better than I expected with 8 for 42.

 

And while Muhammad only had 1 QBH, his penetration stats (aver QB sep) is pretty darn good (comparable to Buckner). 

 

 

Yeah, Hines isn't, nor ever has been, a true RB.  He's a 3rd down pass catcher or a specialty play guy that has to get the ball on a hand off occasionally to keep the D honest.  He has had to fill in as a backup RB over the years because of injuries or roster limitations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, Hines isn't, nor ever has been, a true RB.  He's a 3rd down pass catcher or a specialty play guy that has to get the ball on a hand off occasionally to keep the D honest.  He has had to fill in as a backup RB over the years because of injuries or roster limitations.

He's simply an APB. Running him power/man blocking on goal line is epic dumb. I don't mind an occasional between the Ts run to keep Ds honest when he's in, but not in short or goal line. He should be primary zone read blocking, and edge when he runs. A few power/man up the gut when teams are in deep zone is fine too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

 

Good
-Rivers looked crisp and accurate for a 2nd week in a row. Nice zip too.
-Mo is looking more and more legit, and led the team in separation.
-TY got a little better separation, and was 3/3.
-Taylor did pretty well against a good run D
-Hines in the passing game again, thank you
-Pittman coming on, Fountain getting his feet wet
-Zero turnovers on O!
-Three INT turnovers on D including two P6s.
-Rhodes looking more like 2016 and 17, than 18 and 19. PFF now 89.0. That's huge.
-Great game by S Tavon Wilson. 2 TFL, 4 solo Ts, 1 PD in only 36% of snaps. Blackmon has comp.
-So fun watching Buckner. Disruptive and 88.6 PFF.
-AQM continues to exceed expectation pass rushing (2 QBHs)
-OL gave up zero sacks, and zero TFLs.


Bad
-Running Hines between the Ts too much, and especially goal line.
-Offense only scoring 20 on a bad NYJ team
-O gameplan of Pass/Run mix of 25/31 vs a good run D. 
-Banogu not much production despite logging 38% of D snaps

-Not really bad, but Blackmon was went a bit quiet after a nice debut.
-Another kicking team miss. Sorry, after rewatching, the snap and hold didn't look bad.
-Even though our DL got pressure, we should have had more sacks vs that OL. Our quickest sack was Houston's 5 second sack, which is pretty slow.


Ugly
-Okes coverage on NYJ's first TD. PFF a horrible 45.0 so far in 2020
-Willis coverage at times, especially at the 8:31 mark in the 2nd.
-Tackling early. We made Darnold look like Lamar Jackson running around the yard
-Pittman injury. 
 

 

 

The offense played pretty well.  They did only score 20 but lost 2 possessions to pick 6's  and lost the last 10 minutes by taking the "foot off the pedal." Run game was a bit disappointing but the rest was good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

The offense played pretty well.  They did only score 20 but lost 2 possessions to pick 6's  and lost the last 10 minutes by taking the "foot off the pedal." Run game was a bit disappointing but the rest was good.

Too many stalled drives before we too the foot off. Run game did not surprise me given NYJ were 2nd best vs the run last year. The INTs didn't really equate to lost possessions. They were simply an interruption in an opponent's possession that gave us points. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

And while Muhammad only had 1 QBH, his penetration stats (aver QB sep) is pretty darn good (comparable to Buckner). 

Him and Autry are really benefitting from the presence of Buckner. They're both creating pressure on a regular basis and if a team decides to double either of them, they're most likely giving Buckner a 1v1. I've been really encouraged by our DL so far and hope adding Turay's athleticism will only bolster that unit.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Shive said:

Him and Autry are really benefitting from the presence of Buckner. They're both creating pressure on a regular basis and if a team decides to double either of them, they're most likely giving Buckner a 1v1. I've been really encouraged by our DL so far and hope adding Turay's athleticism will only bolster that unit.

Yes, it's truly fun seeing more "action" up front, even when we're not getting home. I think Autry is simply benefiting more from playing more DE. He's a much better DE than he is a DT. I expected that to happen to be honest. I wasn't expecting Muhammad to do much better though given all the "more a Sheard type run stopper" we've been hearing. 

 

I do want to see them get home more often. We were soooooooo close several times, and Darnold just popped out somehow. Really hoping Turay gets back. He's still a mystery to me though given his college days, and how he's evolved. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The INTs didn't really equate to lost possessions. They were simply an interruption in an opponent's possession that gave us points. 

I see your point.   If anything, they prolonged the time that the Jets Offense had the ball.   Gave them a kick off and and a new possession.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see your point.   If anything, they prolonged the time that the Jets Offense had the ball.   Gave them a kick off and and a new possession.  

Both P6 came early in drives. The first was 2ish minutes into the drive, the second 1ish minute. The first was on the first possession of the game too. Impact to our O opportunity was minimal. We possessed the ball 10 times. 4 punts, 2 FGs, missed FG, 2 TDs.

 

We even INT'd the ball another time which gave us the ball. And got a safety after a less than 2 minute possession by NY. 

 

We just need to get better on 3rd down, score more TDs than FGs, and stop missing FGs of 40 or less.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Both P6 came early in drives. The first was 2ish minutes into the drive, the second 1ish minute. The first was on the first possession of the game too. Impact to our O opportunity was minimal. We possessed the ball 10 times. 4 punts, 2 FGs, missed FG, 2 TDs.

 

We even INT'd the ball another time which gave us the ball. And got a safety after a less than 2 minute possession by NY. 

 

We just need to get better on 3rd down, score more TDs than FGs, and stop missing FGs of 40 or less.

 

 

What was the 10th possession?  Maybe end of half or game?

 

I agree that it didn't have a huge impact on the time the offense had to play.   Just a bit though.  i was fine with the offense scoring 20 points.   Not thrilled with the 3rd down efficiency, but I think they went conservative early when they seen they were in control.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Myles said:

What was the 10th possession?  Maybe end of half or game?

 

I agree that it didn't have a huge impact on the time the offense had to play.   Just a bit though.  i was fine with the offense scoring 20 points.   Not thrilled with the 3rd down efficiency, but I think they went conservative early when they seen they were in control.  

10th was end of the game. 

2 for 10, or if you want, 2 of 9 (for TDs), vs the NYJs just sucks to me :thmup:

I'm honestly more irritated we didn't try to get the young pass catchers more experience than anything. 

It was the perfect opportunity to practice in a game day situation and work some of the bugs out before we play a good defensive team like Chicago. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

10th was end of the game. 

2 for 10, or if you want, 2 of 9 (for TDs), vs the NYJs just sucks to me :thmup:

I'm honestly more irritated we didn't try to get the young pass catchers more experience than anything. 

It was the perfect opportunity to practice in a game day situation and work some of the bugs out before we play a good defensive team like Chicago. 

i also would have liked them to practice a bit since the game was in control most of the way.   2.22 points per drive (using 9 drives) would have been 12th in the league last season.  But it was the Jets and should have been more, but I'd argue that the Jets defense is much better than the Jets offense.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Myles said:

i also would have liked them to practice a bit since the game was in control most of the way.   2.22 points per drive (using 9 drives) would have been 12th in the league last season.  But it was the Jets and should have been more, but I'd argue that the Jets defense is much better than the Jets offense.  

Jets run D is good, pass D sucks. 

You have to factor 10 on that lol. So 2, and 18th, which is just not good vs NY

Overall, we're 2.42 and 14th this year so far.

 

What is also bad, is we're 23rd in red zone %

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Jets run D is good, pass D sucks. 

You have to factor 10 on that lol. So 2, and 18th, which is just not good vs NY

Overall, we're 2.42 and 14th this year so far.

 

What is also bad, is we're 23rd in red zone %

I hope that improves and there is some reason to think it will.   I attribute it 50/50 to:

Rivers being new to the team and minimal training camp and no preseason.

Reich's play calling.   Getting too cute for his own good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope that improves and there is some reason to think it will.   I attribute it 50/50 to:

Rivers being new to the team and minimal training camp and no preseason.

Reich's play calling.   Getting too cute for his own good.

I just wish we'd simply be balanced, but try to attack opponents' weaknesses. 

I'm really trying to be patient  :panic:. I figure 3-4 games should be enough to work the bugs out from a player perspective. 

Not sure 3-4 games will change bad schemes, game plans, or play calling though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 7:26 PM, Colt Overseas said:

I think some of our depth payers have stepped up in the last two weeks and given us nice production. MAC, Wilkins, Carrie and Wilson have had good moments. Stallworth has been solid rotating in for Big Grover too. 

 

The Bears will be a big test for our offense, now that we are essentially down 3 starting skill position players. We will need more players to step up (Fountain, Dulin, possibly Patmon)

 

I expect our defense to play well against the Bears O.

the funny thing is i bet fountain and patmon end up being better and replacing cambell and pitman and being better in the long run.  patmon is a better fast version of pitman and the staff loves fountain even kept him last year even though he was injured .  these two will be studs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the funny thing is i bet fountain and patmon end up being better and replacing cambell and pitman and being better in the long run.  patmon is a better fast version of pitman and the staff loves fountain even kept him last year even though he was injured .  these two will be studs.

Both may be true, but both have a lot of work to do. The dig on Patmon, is he doesn't play to his size. Even his coach spoke opening about it. He's only a few tiny ticks faster than Pittman, so it's really a push. And Pitman is more advance routed running as well. Fountain is not nearly as dynamic as PC, but Fountain can climb better than PC. I love all 4 WRs to be honest. PC's only issue is health. And that's been a huge issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts D-backs looked good. But NYJ has a mediocre WR group. And that's their starters, none of

whom played on Sunday.

 

The Colt C's pressed a bunch early on which is a welcome site. But that's much easier to do vs backup

WRs.

 

Robinson and to a lesser degree, Miller will be a much tougher challenge this coming Sunday.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, indykmj said:

Colts D-backs looked good. But NYJ has a mediocre WR group. And that's their starters, none of

whom played on Sunday.

 

The Colt C's pressed a bunch early on which is a welcome site. But that's much easier to do vs backup

WRs.

 

Robinson and to a lesser degree, Miller will be a much tougher challenge this coming Sunday.  

Yep. Should be tougher all around, in all phases.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I get they're from one of the biggest TV markets in the country, but you knew that game was going to be a non-competitive snoozefest before it even started. I generally watch every Sunday Night game available, but I can tell you that both Sunday Night games that I largely tuned out of involved Packers-Bears contests (I wanna say there was a game in 2013 or 2014 where the Packers dropped 50+ on the Bears on Sunday Night and you could feel it was going to happen before the game even started).
    • I apologize for today guys. At least you whipped them the first time you played them in Tennessee but lost at home. I have a feeling the Titans are going to whip us when we see them just after Christmas.
    • Question for you and those who LOL with your post. How long have you been following football to ask a juvenile question? Is that even a question to ponder?   I'f I go through the list of South Florida talent, we would need to start a separate website, yes website never mind thread.   Coaches along: Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wanstedt, Pagano, just to name a few. Lets not start with players. On this current team, players not named Marlon Mack or TY Hilton, Anthony Walker, Jacoby Brissett, Al Qudin Muhammad, Xavier Rhodes (Norland High School is less than 20 mins away).   I actually take offense to your question. But to no avail, here is your answer: The Hurricanes hold the record for most players selected in the first round in a single draft (6, in 2004), most first-round draft picks in a two-year period (10, from 2003 to 2004), most first-round draft picks in a three-year period (15, from 2002 through 2004), and most first-round picks in a four-year period (19, from 2001 through 2004). As of the 2015 NFL season, UM has 45 players on NFL rosters, including players on NFL Practice Squads and Injured Reserves and not including current Free Agents, which is the most out of any NCAA program in the nation. As of the 2016 NFL Draft, Miami now has had at least one NFL draft pick in every draft since 1975, each of the last 42 NFL drafts, one of the longest streaks among FBS programs. The Hurricanes once had a streak of 149 consecutive regular season weeks where a former Hurricane scored a touchdown in an NFL game; the streak started in Week 15 of the 2002 NFL regular season and ended in Week 11 of the 2011 season.During the streak, 33 different former Hurricanes scored touchdowns and a total of 661 touchdowns were scored. From the 2001 Miami Hurricanes football team alone, 42 players went on to be drafted into the NFL from (2002-2006), including 17 1st round picks. The Hurricanes have had at least one former player make the Pro Bowl every season since 1985, 31 years in a row.
    • The game wasn't exactly a shock due to the missing players, but some of the themes were not what I expected, how about you guys?    Reason's the game was lost and what's next:  --------------------------------- 1. Rock Ya Sin.  I think Rock is starting to look more like a Draft miss than hit.  They often refer to his wrestling career, and that is never good because it usually comes after a Defensive Hold or Interference.  He really put us in a bind with his first penalty, and drove a stake in our heart when we had them stopped but they got the ball back for a later TD, and arguments could be made it costs us 14 points because it so deflated our team we went into a tailspin and gave up that ridiculous 4th down play setting up the 5th TD.     2. Loss of poise.  I saw several things, but that horrendous punching and disqualification was so deflating to the teams loss of poise in performance that I wouldn't be disappointed to learn they cut him from the team, though I doubt they have the b*lls.  There should be a near zero tolerance for a role player special teamer to lose his cool that egregiously and cost the team at such a critical time.     3. Loss of AC/Poor O-Line Depth may be a fatal blow to any post season success.  We have a long long history of failure without our most important lineman.  Even though he isn't what he once was (and it has been clear to me he's playing hurt as much as simple decline has kicked in) the drop off is so dire after him that I think only with significant shuffling can we keep Rivers upright and healthy and have any chance to run an offense not always in crises.  With a poor LT, Rivers one glaring weakness, immobility is amplified 10X.  I will say his quick release saved as many sacks as Mahommes could have scrambled out of, but the difference is he can't possibly complete meaningful attacks with so little time or free space to launch it to an open receiver.  Frankly his performance under that pressure was the most impressive performance I have seen from him all year.  But heroic sack saving isn't effective offense.  This lack o-line  depth has been something MANY here have been pointing not only all season and pre season, but literally going back to last season as well.  And we had MUCH better depth last year than this.  It was my #1 concern entering the season.  It was obvious.  A brilliant GM keeps making this same error.  He admitted his failure to secure a quality O-Line his first year (after many had begged the previous GM to do the same, and I believe that is truly what cost him his job, or at least deserved to).     Things that were hopeful: ------------------------------ 1.   Hines has proven to be a warrior.  He's our most important and reliable offensive weapon, much like the pass catching RBs of River's SD teams.  We should never see another game without him being a key contributor, no different than TN using their RB to do the same.   Everyone knew Hines was the only thing working, but he kept working nonetheless.  Reich needs to stop abandoning our key offensive weapon.  I even loved when they sent him deep.  I think HE could be used much like TY used to be, leading to...   2. TY Hilton FINALLY utilized by Reich and Rivers.  TY still has tremendous value.  We were reminded of that finally.  He still has moves, he can still contribute.  Sure, he's not 24 years old anymore, but he is likely our second best weapon after Hines still.  But Rivers simply has no chemistry with him.  All game he was forcing throws to Pascal, who I like, but they had Pascal 100% locked down.  The few catches he made were 50-50 balls.     3.  We saw evidence that our TE's are capable.  Why don't we use them, and use them often?  A three headed monster that should be dominating.  I think for us to have success down the stretch, in addition to using Hilton and Hines, our 3 capable TE's need to be all over the place on short to medium routes using their size and capable hands.  We saw late (too late sadly) that they were playing.  It was almost like they weren't through 3 quarters.  Sure, TN had backed up coverage, but dang, those guys have skills and can be hit quickly.     4. Brissett has been used well in short yardage.  I am glad they are building on this.  Even his relative slowness, he looks like a lightning bolt compared to Rivers.  I do think they need to show some short yardage passing so they keep defenses honest helping his future sneaks.     5. Pinter was serviceable compared to LT options.  I hope our center comes back and finishes the season, but Pinter at least showed a little depth at G/C.     What to do in the future now that winning the division is reasonably out of reach; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 1. The line woes will continue to be a problem.  Depth is simply unacceptable.  I think if AC is lost for the season that we need to rethink positions, such as whether Smith could move to LT and perhaps use Pinter at RT?  I know he has "short arms" for Pro T play, but he has to be better than the other options.  I think they should strongly alter our game plans to account for lesser line e play.  Rivers didn't have time to let route develop, and with no mobility, they are going to have to improve our tepid screen play and conduct more short routes for multiple TE's in 2 TE sets.  Rivers has to be able to get the ball out quick.  I do think the play calling the past 4 weeks had improved, but something happened this game and we were just too limited until late in the game when they were hitting TEs and TY.   More please.     2. Our D should get back in line with the return of the Covid players.  I like the second half adjustments the D is making but why aren't we making these adjustments in the first half.  35 points is too much and the penalties are devastating.  Is it time to play Carrie instead of Ya Sin?  I think they should seriously consider demoting him for back ups.  He's just too much of a liability.  Perhaps if he came in off the bench we could get off the field more often in the first half.     What did you all think? 
    • I don’t mean to offend, but.....   The population of Buffalo is roughly 255,000.   The population of Chicago is roughly 2.66 million.   Our nation’s third largest city.  Plus, they were playing Green Bay, a team that historically gets good TV ratings even though it is much smaller than Buffalo.  It’s the smallest city to have a major sports franchise.  TV ratings are, in part,  why Indianapolis doesn’t get many National games unless they have someone like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck.    It’s not just about the win-loss records. 
  • Members

    • Dasteez

      Dasteez 96

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JediXMan

      JediXMan 173

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Arodgers12

      Arodgers12 488

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • nzh201vs

      nzh201vs 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lancer1

      Lancer1 232

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 7,615

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Rackeen305

      Rackeen305 505

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JPFolks

      JPFolks 1,050

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr. Irrelevant

      Mr. Irrelevant 1,117

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 1USCTrojan

      1USCTrojan 33

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...