Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman has leg surgery (MERGE)

Indyfan4life

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Welcome to the Colts, Mister Rivers.  Where the team on paper and the team on the field are never the same thing.  And you never wind up playing with the guys you thought you would.  Don't mind Mister Brissett -- he's just just offering you a tissue.  He's been here before.

DIfference is Rivers is good enough to overcome all these injuries. I am not even worried.

The job Ballard has done with this roster is pretty remarkable. Next man up could mean disaster for some teams but this team is one of the deepest I can remember.

We lost Mack, Hooker and Adams for the year but we’ve got pretty good replacements and Blackman may even be better than Hooker. 
    Compared to other teams (Jets, Eagles), we’re in good shape.

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Colts WR Michael Pittman (calf) underwent surgery to repair compartment leg syndrome in his calf.

Rapoport adds that Pittman will "likely" be back in time for Indy's Week 8 game against the Lions. Pittman had been soaking up mop-up catches in blowouts the past two weeks, which was expected to eventually become a larger role with Parris Campbell (knee, IR) sidelined for the foreseeable future. That opportunity will now fall to Zach Pascal, who ran 67% of his routes from the slot in Week 3 against the Jets. Pascal is a viable addition off waiver wires in deeper leagues.

Related:

Zach Pascal

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 28, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

Daurice looked good as well I expect him to step up.

40 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Welcome to the Colts, Mister Rivers.  Where the team on paper and the team on the field are never the same thing.  And you never wind up playing with the guys you thought you would.  Don't mind Mister Brissett -- he's just just offering you a tissue.  He's been here before.

You must not know much about Rivers.  He has dealt with this sort of thing his entire career and has consistently made guys like Seyi Ajirotutu, Legaedu Naanee, and Dontrelle Inman look like legitimate threats.

I know the Colts have had a lot of injuries, but the Chargers had the same amount, if not more, over the last decade.

2 hours ago, Douzer said:

On the flip side;

Some of the other young upcoming players will get meaningful reps.

The next couple of opponents won't be totally sure about their defensive game plans.

The rookie wall is less likely to play into the end of season push for playoffs.

Lemonade from lemons!

I was thinking the same thing.

I’m excited to see what Fountain, Patmon, Dulin can do.  I have confidence in Pascal and Johnson.

I have a gut feeling about Fountain and Patmon.

If Pittman and Campbell get back, we’ll have a deep, battle hardened WR group ready for a playoff run.

And we’ll have a real good idea what we have top to bottom in the wr room.

We just need TY to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

You must not know much about Rivers.  He has dealt with this sort of thing his entire career and has consistently made guys like Seyi Ajirotutu, Legaedu Naanee, and Dontrelle Inman look like legitimate threats.

I know the Colts have had a lot of injuries, but the Chargers had the same amount, if not more, over the last decade.

My comment was not about whether or not Rivers could handle it.  My point was:  he shouldn't have to.

But it seems to happen over and over and over and over and over again.

We enter the season with a deep group of quality receivers.  And by week three, we're trying to make due with 3rd stringers, 4th stringers, free agents, and who the heck is this guy?  Wasn't he working at Home Depot just last week?

Same story, different season.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Very rare

Fewer than 20,000 US cases per year

Treatable by a medical professional

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging often required

Short-term: resolves within days to weeks

Critical: needs emergency care

I still call the Chargers San Diego myself often...L.A. just doesnt seem right to me and yes I know the very first year they existed in the AFL that was their hometown but S.D. ingrained in my head (A few announcers too still it seems).  I dont think they are ready to throw in the towel yet at 1-2 and almost beating K.C. last week but with Taylor out and Herbert an up and down rookie things could go south quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Very rare

Fewer than 20,000 US cases per year

Treatable by a medical professional

Requires a medical diagnosis

Lab tests or imaging often required

Short-term: resolves within days to weeks

Critical: needs emergency care

Yes....   but are any masks or Social Distancing required?      :peek:

I googled compartment leg syndrome which is what Pittman had surgery.  If it is not chronic and addressed with surgery right away he could be back ready for high impact activities in a few weeks. However, full recovery is 3-4 months. We are so unlucky with Mack, Hooker and now Pittman. Ballard was really smart to stock up the shelves with WR and TE's. On the bright side, Phillip Rivers never got accustomed to lock in any one receiver. He has been spreading the ball around which makes other defenses clueless.  

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Antonio Brown - just listing him because hes there(not to interested in him + suspended through Pittman early timeline)

Taylor Gabriel

D. Thomas - no thanks

Paul Richardson 

Quincy Enunwa 

Jarius Wright 

Justin Hardy 

Jordan Mathews

Ryan Grant

Chad Williams(maybe bring him to PS?)

Lots of good options there. Who do you like best? If you want someone who is a reliable receiver who will get you first downs, sign Jarius Wright. I used to say "all he does is get first downs". It seems he always knew exactly where the first down marker was and would make sure he did not come up short. He isn't flashy but he does the job.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wow we are snake Bitten. Ian Rappaport said he should be back after the bye week. Good thing we have Rivers. Jacoby couldn’t overcome all the injuries. Patmon should get a good chance now.

good point, i'm excited to see Patmon. I think hes gonna be great. 

6 hours ago, w87r said:

As bad as we've been hit. I still like our depth at WR. It is getting much thinner,  but still some good options.

TY

Pascal

Dulin

Fountain

Patmon

Johnson

Getting ready to check out FA market for some options.

U r going to see a lot of 2 tight end sets.....maybe even 3 if Burton comes back

29 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

good point, i'm excited to see Patmon. I think hes gonna be great. 

I have always believed thst Fountain will b something

I'm not a doctor BUT I do work in healthcare and take care of patients like this.  It really depends on the severity of the injury, where it is located, what nerve(s) are affected, and how long it went before getting the fasciotomy.  There is no "It will take this many weeks" because all situations are different.  It appears he had surgery less than 24 hours after the injury, which is excellent.  This means it didn't go the typical days to a week or two that I'm used to seeing with some unrecoverable damage.  His age and fitness and nutrition level will probably help him as well.  I'm not sure how big the area was that was affected, but if it was his calf then that would be better than say the lower thigh near the knee.  The calf is a bigger meaty muscle and could absorb some swelling without affecting the nerves too much as compared to an area that doesn't have much "meat" on it like the knee.  But IDK where it was.  The main thing is getting the surgery as quickly as possible and relieving the pressure on the nerves and muscle tissue so that the compression doesn't further damage those tissues.  It appears he accomplished that.  Antibiotics are a must because of the high-risk for infection with this kind of surgery.  It CAN be a major complication.  Another major problem could be rhabdomyolysis which can injure the kidneys so they will need to monitor his blood.  Also, his tissue may not heal correctly meaning there could be severe scarring.  We will have to see on those things.

What happens from here is anybody's guess, but I would think if everything goes just right he could start light movements in about 2-3 weeks, with full bore contact in about 10-12 weeks.  Again, IF things go just right.  But he aint comin back by Week 8 IMHO.  Then again, I'm not a doctor.

Archived