Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Love for Xavier Rhodes?

• 4 weeks later...

Knew he’d fit us perfectly he isn’t being asked to shadow speedsters anymore and can watch the qb and bit but he’s even more impressive pressing at the line at the same time 

• Like 1

He's been solid if unspectacular.  I had a feeling if he got back with some of his former coaches they would coach him up, and it looks like that is happening.  Is he a Pro Bowler?  Probably not.  But he's been better than most expected.  It was a big gamble by Ballard and so far it is paying off.

5 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

I really hope we bring back Rhodes and Houston. We have so many free agents coming up in the next two years, I know the Colts aren't going to be able to keep everybody.

One thing that might factor into Rhodes is that Tell should be back next year.  

unless Houston has a major drop off I don’t see why you don’t give him another year.  Especially with banogu’s lack of production and Turay coming off a major injury.

IIRC, was graded out 80+ the last few weeks, which is very good. Saw PFN had him top 25 of CBs. I think it was low 20s. That's good considering there's ~80 starting CBs in the league counting NBs (which are counted in the rank). 

Anyway, love what he is doing. Also equally concerned with Moore's drop off.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

unless Houston has a major drop off I don’t see why you don’t give him another year.  Especially with banogu’s lack of production and Turay coming off a major injury.

I would love to bring Houston back for another year. He obviously still has a lot left in the tank and you need veteran leadership on both sides of the ball, especially for a younger defense. I'm actually really high on Marvell Tell, but he was a rookie last year who played safety in college and transitioned to corner in the NFL. I was disappointed he decided to sit out this season because he could use all the reps and experience he could get. I have no idea what to expect from him in 2021, but hopefully he continues to improve. Rhodes, Moore, Ya-Sin, and Tell would be a solid top 4 in 2021. You also have Isiaiah Rodgers too.

Do you bring back Denico Autry? You definitely gotta bring back Grover Stewart. Sheldon Day is also a free agent. Guess we gotta wait until the off-season to see which direction Chris Ballard decides to take.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Tell was horrible last year....  even ballard said this in his press conference.   Ballard said when Kenny Moore went down the back up nickel spot dropped off by alot . I know they moved tell into the nickel spot last year for a couple games.   He can get better he is just raw,but to turn down a veteran playing well over a young guy who hasn't produced is something ballard probably wont do

39 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Tell was horrible last year....  even ballard said this in his press conference.   Ballard said when Kenny Moore went down the back up nickel spot dropped off by alot . I know they moved tell into the nickel spot last year for a couple games.   He can get better he is just raw,but to turn down a veteran playing well over a young guy who hasn't produced is something ballard probably wont do

He wasn't horrible. He had the lowest completion rate of DBs in his limited time. He did look lost at times, but that's to be expected for a rook changing positions. Keep in mind Tell was a FS at USC, and converted to CB last year. He's built like a tall corner, so filling in for Moore at NB probably wasn't ideal. Can he play NB, IDK. He was never physical in college. He's also not fast (4.6ish). He did score well in agility in the shuttle though.

I really don't know where he'll fit. Not fast enough IMO to play CB1 or CB2. Not sure if he's physical enough to play NB or SS. Probably fine to play split safety in a two high. If he could toughen up, could be good at NB, dime, or SS, but he was never that guy in college. Perhaps a rona year hitting the weights will help. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He wasn't horrible. He had the lowest completion rate of DBs in his limited time. He did look lost at times, but that's to be expected for a rook changing positions. Keep in mind Tell was a FS at USC, and converted to CB last year. He's built like a tall corner, so filling in for Moore at NB probably wasn't ideal. Can he play NB, IDK. He was never physical in college. He's also not fast (4.6ish). He did score well in agility in the shuttle though.

I really don't know where he'll fit. Not fast enough IMO to play CB1 or CB2. Not sure if he's physical enough to play NB or SS. Probably fine to play split safety in a two high. If he could toughen up, could be good at NB, dime, or SS, but he was never that guy in college. Perhaps a rona year hitting the weights will help. 

I agree he has the talent to be elite .  Horrible was probably the wrong word to use but at times he was beat badly .  This is the reason I was so surprised tell opted out this year.   It's hard to tell how good he will be I hope your right 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

I agree he has the talent to be elite .  Horrible was probably the wrong word to use but at times he was beat badly .  This is the reason I was so surprised tell opted out this year.   It's hard to tell how good he will be I hope your right 

Personally, I think he's a long shot to become a full time starter. He's kinda a tweener. If he was faster, or more physical, I'd like his chances a lot better. I'll be happy if he just becomes a quality depth guy. We need those too. Give me Xavier all day every day right now over Tell. 

• Like 2