Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The eye test tells me...

bestQBever

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm fine with discussing deficiencies, regardless of score, but complaining about Taylor in game 3, is silly.

Taylors AVG today was 4.5, and the Jets are a very good run D team. 

To put that in perspective, Elliot's 2020 AVG is 4.2, Henry's is 3.6, Jacobs is 3.5, McCaffery's is 3.8.

What's funniest is, Wilkins average, was lower at 4.3, and he ran later vs a weathered front 7.

Complaining about bad is not bad. Complaining about good (Taylor's 4.5), and asking for something worse (Wilkins' 4.3), is just perplexing to me. 

I agree mostly would add they were selling out on the run when Wilkins was in late in game lowering his ypc. Both are good backs very differnt but have been productive in their roles

1 hour ago, Sumo63 said:

Taylor is a punishing back.  He may not always "break one" but if he can stay healthy and handle the workload he will make defenses wilt game to game. We've needed a rb like him.  It's just a shame mack isnt there to balance his carries. 

I think this is the key.  Taylor is definitely going to be great short yard runner.  There is little doubt about this. 

I don’t think he’s ever going to be a guy who can make people miss or find lanes when they aren’t obvious.  This is not his talent.  When he does juke a guy, it takes too long for him to go North again.

i don’t think he’s going to be a 3 down back in the league, but I know for sure the Colts didn’t think it today because he was out in leverage situations today when the game was still in doubt.  He is not good at changing directions or speed.  I think he would be most effective in an I or a a pistol so  he can start downhill, but that isn’t what Indy does.

We are going to need another guy I think.  Mack was that guy but now who knows.

i don’t understand why having this opinion upsets some of you guys so much but I also don’t care.

If you want to be unhappy about something in the running game, you should be unhappy the Hines is running between the Ts in a goal line situation. That's just dumb lol when you have Taylor. And if you're going to use Hines in a goal line situation, run the edge/corner, quick slant, or screen.

Yeah I don’t understand this other than they think they are fooling people running him inside.

I was at the game and we don’t have people running those long crossers effectively and PR has time to brush his teeth before a throw.  I thinks you mentioned Hines in this role as a possibility.

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im surprised The Nickster isn't in this thread gloating like he usually does concerning Taylor. 

I was driving home Krunky.  

He’s pretty limited man.i think he’s in the wrong scheme.  He’s an I back IMO.  He’s best when he starts downhill.

I think Taylor is 3 games into his career.  He's barely played the equivalent of a pre-season.  I still don't know how good he is or isn't, but I like his prospects.  I think Hines is a different type of back and is a perfect complement to him.  IF Mack is brought back, that would be great, but I honestly don't think so at this point.  Wilkins is the unsung guy.  All he does is get 4-5 yards per carry and nobody notices.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He made them nasty based on Q and Smith.   And you’re comparing the great 18 line with the terrible 17 line. 

The 19 line was not quite as good as the 18, but they were still top-5.   And they did that while leaning new techniques.

The previous OL coach is a good coach but he wares out his welcome most everywhere he goes.   He does a decent job and the team doesn’t keep him.   What does that tell you?  

Our OL should be fine soon enough. 

We shall c

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is fine, nothing wrong with pointing out when a player makes a mistake. He did miss a couple of holes earlier but he has just played 3 games. He looks good to me so far, JMO.

8 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

I don't think it is just Wilkins getting garbage time.  He has better vision by far.  Is this something Taylor can develop?  How much growth is their in running backs?  I like that Taylor hits the hole hard and doesn't dance, but it is baffling to watch him just run right into the back of his linemen.  Our line is out of this world in pass blocking, but we don't exactly rip open holes at the point of attack. 

Right now Taylor is being coached to follow his blockers. He is a rookie and that is what rookies do. 

Once the coaches study tape they will steer him to be a little more patent. He is still learning how to play against better players in the NFL. 

11 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

That TD run was special.  It looked like the defender had him dead to rights.  Taylor is still learning, but he looked good overall, besides the one run right into the backs of his o-line early on.  Looks like he could have cut left.

He knocked our RT away like kindling on his way into the end zone, it was astonishing. 

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

I was driving home Krunky.  

He’s pretty limited man.i think he’s in the wrong scheme.  He’s an I back IMO.  He’s best when he starts downhill.

Gotta give you some credit.  Usually when us armchair QBs assess a player on this site, you can go to the pre-draft analysis and find the exact same wording that the experts used.  I could not find anything close to how you view JT....so you are obviously thinking for yourself and evaluating to the best of your own abilities.  His weaknesses are almost always listed as ball security, for which the Colts are obviously working on, and limitations in the passing game, which is gradually being proven wrong.  Besides the obvious burst and speed, his strengths are usually listed as vision, patience, and ability to make players either miss or not be able to grasp.  My personal armchair assessment is that we’ve seen plenty glimpses of his strengths after 3 games at this level, which will only improve as he gains confidence and as ball security becomes second nature to him.

The Colts just beat a team handily that they should. I dont care who you are thats a step in the right direction for these guys. 

Also tired of hearing the Pittman naysayers talk. Every time I watch him he's hussling whether he gets a pass or not. Dude balls out without even getting any passes his way. 

Vs the vikings when MO bobbled the ball into the vikings hands, pittman was the only one going after the football trying to force a fumble. 

Kid has grit and isn't scared of contact. Stop trying to make every rookie, rookie of the year or bust. Jesus. Relax about him. 

10 hours ago, B~Town said:

I agree mostly would add they were selling out on the run when Wilkins was in late in game lowering his ypc. Both are good backs very differnt but have been productive in their roles

They are indeed very different backs. I like Wilkins, so not trying to bag on him. He's very solid depth. And he's go low wear and tear on tires too.

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yeah I don’t understand this other than they think they are fooling people running him inside.

I was at the game and we don’t have people running those long crossers effectively and PR has time to brush his teeth before a throw.  I thinks you mentioned Hines in this role as a possibility.

Yea, they've done it too much already, so aren't fooling anyone. And if you look at our running success, our YPC historically is lowest over the LG. That's not to say Q is bad, it just means that's where Ds focus. 

We had WRs open all over the place all game. PR had zero problems finding the open guy. We should have exploited that a bit more. TY was much better (shouldn't surprise many given the DBs), and even Pascal with limited targets did a great job finding the open spot in the zone and sitting down (running from slot). When you're QB is 75% with no INTs, and only threw it 25 times, you probably should have thrown it a little more.

Okay, I’m not one for dramatics. I think JT will be a great player for us.
But I swear sometimes I feel like I’m watching T.Rich run into the path of most resistance lol dude likes contact for sure.  Unlike T. Rich, he always seems to get positive yardage.

2 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Okay, I’m not one for dramatics. I think JT will be a great player for us.
But I swear sometimes I feel like I’m watching T.Rich run into the path of most resistance lol dude likes contact for sure.  Unlike T. Rich, he always seems to get positive yardage.

I got that thought only on that 1 run where he was determined to find a way through the backs of his linemen, lol.  But I've already seen this take from several Colts fans on twitter and it's asinine.  T-Rich was a 3rd overall pick with a full season of experience as the focal point of an offense when he came here.  Taylor just played in his 3rd game (2nd start).  That wasn't a good play by him, but I don't think there's any need for T-Rich level concerns.

Yea, they've done it too much already, so aren't fooling anyone. And if you look at our running success, our YPC historically is lowest over the LG. That's not to say Q is bad, it just means that's where Ds focus. 

We had WRs open all over the place all game. PR had zero problems finding the open guy. We should have exploited that a bit more. TY was much better (shouldn't surprise many given the DBs), and even Pascal with limited targets did a great job finding the open spot in the zone and sitting down (running from slot). When you're QB is 75% with no INTs, and only threw it 25 times, you probably should have thrown it a little more.

True, for scoring the most points, but when you are up comfortably, it's an opportunity to test and try other players and components of your offense, especially those that you feel need some extra development in a season which has lacked the time for that.  Getting game tape on what didn't work against an NFL defense is a valuable tool to have.

1 minute ago, il vecchio said:

True, for scoring the most points, but when you are up comfortably, it's an opportunity to test and try other players and components of your offense, especially those that you feel need some extra development in a season which has lacked the time for that.  Getting game tape on what didn't work against an NFL defense is a valuable tool to have.

IDK. We don't need to test Hines out up the middle. We did that last year lol. And it's just a bit of common sense too. 

I think we wasted an opportunity to test and develop the young WRs and TEs we have, in that aspect.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Actually 80.95%

78.3% for the season.   Won't stay that high, but it's nice so far.  

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts just beat a team handily that they should. I dont care who you are thats a step in the right direction for these guys. 

Also tired of hearing the Pittman naysayers talk. Every time I watch him he's hussling whether he gets a pass or not. Dude balls out without even getting any passes his way. 

Vs the vikings when MO bobbled the ball into the vikings hands, pittman was the only one going after the football trying to force a fumble. 

Kid has grit and isn't scared of contact. Stop trying to make every rookie, rookie of the year or bust. Jesus. Relax about him. 

Pittman was the 1 player I wanted to leave the draft with, so I'm a huge fan of his. He's been really solid so far and my only issue is with some of his blocking. I've noticed a few plays where he's squared up on on the guy he's supposed to be blocking, turns to see where the play is, and his man ends up making/causing the stop. I'm assuming its just a rookie issue with thinking too much and shouldn't be a problem as he gets more reps and get more comfortable.

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

Pittman was the 1 player I wanted to leave the draft with, so I'm a huge fan of his. He's been really solid so far and my only issue is with some of his blocking. I've noticed a few plays where he's squared up on on the guy he's supposed to be blocking, turns to see where the play is, and his man ends up making/causing the stop. I'm assuming its just a rookie issue with thinking too much and shouldn't be a problem as he gets more reps and get more comfortable.

I came into this with zero expectations of him. Became a fan of his humble nature through his YouTube channel. 

I can see he hussles. Im sure its mostly thinking too much, with the way you described the issue. Plus, players are fast, and a veteran DB can probably tell when you're thinking and can take advantage. Im not worried about him. 

His hands have also impressed me. 

58 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. We don't need to test Hines out up the middle. We did that last year lol. And it's just a bit of common sense too. 

I think we wasted an opportunity to test and develop the young WRs and TEs we have, in that aspect.

I agree.  Running Hines up the middle is asking for trouble and makes no sense to me.  I thought we corrected that after the Jax. game.  I couldn't believe we did it again yesterday.  I swear coaches overthink the circumstances and get caught up in trying to out think the opponent.  Nuts. 

16 hours ago, bestQBever said:

Wilkins > Taylor as of right now. I wanna see Taylor and Wilkins split more snaps until Taylor improves. Thoughts?

Even though you have to consider that the competition is different every week, this seems like a positive sign that Taylor is likely improving: Game 1: 2.4 ypc, Game 2: 3.9 ypc, Game 3: 4.5 ypc. Even so, I do want to see Wilkins continue to get more carries.  

If you watch JT in the second half those were his best runs. It looked like the was reading and cutting as opposed to just "hitting the hole". I think that he is in a learning process. First he is learning ball security. Other he holds the ball with two hands which afffects mobility. He seems to be getting more comfortable. We will see if this continues.

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  Running Hines up the middle is asking for trouble and makes no sense to me.  I thought we corrected that after the Jax. game.  I couldn't believe we did it again yesterday.  I swear coaches overthink the circumstances and get caught up in trying to out think the opponent.  Nuts. 

I'm just not very impressed with game planning, play calling, and general coaching so far this year on either side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Colts Fans: "We dominated yesterday! Let's celebrate that victory!"

This Forum: "Not on my watch"

Celebrate? Why didn't the Colts win by 50? How come River's threw an incompletion? Is he washed up? Why didn't JT run for 250? IT WAS THE JETS WE WERE PLAYING THEY SUCK!!!111

Archived