Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The eye test tells me...

bestQBever

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

That 3rd and 3 run was bad, had he run left he had probably 8+ yards. The TD run was great but the Safety Mcdougal also wanted nothing to do with JT, with his half-butt lunge in the hole.

I didn't like that 3rd and 3 run either. It was a Richardson run.  That's when I commented about him improving his vision.  I still think he's a pretty good back, but there are times he leaves yards out there. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I meant draft capital. If u read my post

Actually, you were right about the money...   that’s why I deleted it.  

As for draft capital, clearly the O-line is not up to speed yet.   I agree that they are below par for now.   I blame the weird off-season.  The schedule works in our favor.   We need to be up to speed by mid-season. 

53 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is confusing. I don’t think they were watching. I think Rivers has only been sacked one time. Maybe not at all. I can’t recall if he has or not. The oline is playing great. We are playing a better defense next week so we will see.

I don't think he's been sacked at all.  Ngakoue stripped him and the ball came out so I guess that took that away from being a sack. Outside of that he hasn't been touched. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, you were right about the money...   that’s why I deleted it.  

As for draft capital, clearly the O-line is not up to speed yet.   I agree that they are below par for now.   I blame the weird off-season.  The schedule works in our favor.   We need to be up to speed by mid-season. 

I am not sure i can buy that. The group  played together all last season. To me , they should ahead of all the other aspects of this team. I have always felt they have regressed since they fired their last O line coach. He made them nasty. Not sure what the new coach brings. For all that draft capital,  I expect way more.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I think he's basing this on who is reading his blocks better and picking up additional yards through breaking tackles and making people miss. 

Wilkins has always had a high AVG. He gets more edge runs, more zone scheme, and runs later in games that the starters. There's a reason he's not running between the tackles early. Even last year when Mack went down, Williams, not Wilkins, took most of the early and between the tackles carries. If he were running power between the Ts early in games, you'd like see a very different product, 

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Honest question, were the starters still in? I know the defense was likely tired and not in it that late in the game but the part about making people miss and reading the correct run lanes is still valid.

Watch the types of plays called when the two are in as well. 

8 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I wouldn’t.  That was my prediction against the jets!

Honestly I think some people don’t understand the difference between constructive and destructive criticism.

Its not bashing or trolling to say someone needs to work on something. There is a line to be sure but I don’t think saying certain players or plays didn’t perform well is crossing it.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Watch the types of plays called when the two are in as well. 

Fair point.

A bruiser back like Taylor is only going to get three or so yards a pop with a few breaking away. A nimble back like Wilkins or Hines are going to be more prone to sweeps or to the edges, therefore getting bigger chunks of yardage.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why??

'Cause a member has a opinion of a player that's not 100% positive of a player??

We're all allowed opinions.  And they don't all have to be the same as most everyone else's. That's what makes this Forum so good. 

Thank you. Drives me up a wall how heretical some people get with dissenting viewpoints.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not sure i can buy that. The group  played together all last season. To me , they should ahead of all the other aspects of this team. I have always felt they have regressed since they fired their last O line coach. He made them nasty. Not sure what the new coach brings. For all that draft capital,  I expect way more.

He made them nasty based on Q and Smith.   And you’re comparing the great 18 line with the terrible 17 line. 

The 19 line was not quite as good as the 18, but they were still top-5.   And they did that while leaning new techniques.

The previous OL coach is a good coach but he wares out his welcome most everywhere he goes.   He does a decent job and the team doesn’t keep him.   What does that tell you?  

Our OL should be fine soon enough. 

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could win 99-0 and someone would still complain lmao 

I'm fine with discussing deficiencies, regardless of score, but complaining about Taylor in game 3, is silly.

Taylors AVG today was 4.5, and the Jets are a very good run D team. 

To put that in perspective, Elliot's 2020 AVG is 4.2, Henry's is 3.6, Jacobs is 3.5, McCaffery's is 3.8.

What's funniest is, Wilkins average, was lower at 4.3, and he ran later vs a weathered front 7.

Complaining about bad is not bad. Complaining about good (Taylor's 4.5), and asking for something worse (Wilkins' 4.3), is just perplexing to me. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm fine with discussing deficiencies, regardless of score, but complaining about Taylor in game 3, is silly.

To put that in perspective, Elliot's 2020 AVG is 4.2, Henry's is 3.6, Jacobs is 3.5, McCaffery's is 3.8.

What's funniest is, Wilkins average, was lower at 4.3, and he ran later vs a weathered front 7.

Complaining about bad is not bad. Complaining about good (Taylor's 4.5), and asking for something worse (Wilkins' 4.3), is just perplexing to me. 

Not trying to be annoying but I thought I saw in the broadcast today that the jets were 15th against the run. If true, I’d say they’re decent but not very good. I could be mistaken however.

I agree with your point though. Still too soon and too many variables to say Wilkins is better than Taylor.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree 100% :thmup:

8 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Not trying to be annoying but I thought I saw in the broadcast today that the jets were 15th against the run. If true, I’d say they’re decent but not very good. I could be mistaken however.

I agree with your point though. Still too soon and too many variables to say Wilkins is better than Taylor.

It is fine, nothing wrong with pointing out when a player makes a mistake. He did miss a couple of holes earlier but he has just played 3 games. He looks good to me so far, JMO.

From my eye test we’re doing a lot of man on man blocking i think if we did some zone and there were cutback lanes all of our backs would do better instead of trying to force it up the middle for some reason strength wise our line isn’t getting the push so let’s spread them out a bit 

I just wanna make this clear. I have a lot of hope for Taylor. He is a bruiser AND as we saw in week 1, is explosive in space. But he is missing reads and holes which is expected from a rookie. What I want to see is Wilkins getting more carries in the early/mid game until Taylor improves his vision in the second level.

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Maybe a 2 game sample size, but in 16 games last season, they were 2nd in the league vs the run. 

In those 2 games this year, they played against SF (who was 2nd rushing last years), and Buffalo (who was 8). Today they played against us, who were #7. In other words, their average right now is likely skewed because they've played 3 top 10 rushing teams in 3 weeks. They held us to 119 yards today, which is well below our 2019 average. They held Buffalo to under 100. SF had more success, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is fine, nothing wrong with pointing out when a player makes a mistake. He did miss a couple of holes earlier but he has just played 3 games. He looks good to me so far, JMO.

I agree. That’s why I have tried to caveat my statements as much as I can that he’s a rookie and it’s to be expected.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe a 2 game sample size, but in 16 games last season, they were 2nd in the league vs the run. 

In those 2 games this year, they played against SF (who was 2nd rushing last years), and Buffalo (who was 8). Today they played against us, who were #7. In other words, their average right now is likely skewed because they've played 3 top 10 rushing teams in 3 weeks. They held us to 119 yards today, which is well below our 2019 average. They held Buffalo to under 100. SF had more success, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Good point. I don’t know enough about their roster last year vs this year either to have much knowledge about gains/losses.

44 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

nasty?? Kansas city killed our oline and made luck look like a pewie tryout QB nah that oline coach had to Go

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Good point. I don’t know enough about their roster last year vs this year either to have much knowledge about gains/losses.

If you want to be unhappy about something in the running game, you should be unhappy the Hines is running between the Ts in a goal line situation. That's just dumb lol when you have Taylor. And if you're going to use Hines in a goal line situation, run the edge/corner, quick slant, or screen.

I don't think it is just Wilkins getting garbage time.  He has better vision by far.  Is this something Taylor can develop?  How much growth is their in running backs?  I like that Taylor hits the hole hard and doesn't dance, but it is baffling to watch him just run right into the back of his linemen.  Our line is out of this world in pass blocking, but we don't exactly rip open holes at the point of attack. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

If you want to be unhappy about something in the running game, you should be unhappy the Hines is running between the Ts in a goal line situation. That's just dumb lol when you have Taylor. And if you're going to use Hines in a goal line situation, run the edge/corner, quick slant, or screen.

I wasn’t as upset about that as others on here as I understood what they were trying to do (use your nimble back to follow your all pro lineman into the end zone). I wouldn’t have done it but oh well.

Just now, Coltscrazy said:

I don't think it is just Wilkins getting garbage time.  He has better vision by far.  Is this something Taylor can develop?  How much growth is their in running backs?  I like that Taylor hits the hole hard and doesn't dance, but it is baffling to watch him just run right into the back of his linemen.  Our line is out of this world in pass blocking, but we don't exactly rip open holes at the point of attack. 

I said this in the game day thread but I think Taylor does well when the blocking schemes go according to plan. When they don’t and he has to improvise then I think he struggles. I think he’ll develop since he’s just a rookie and he’s still learning.

1 minute ago, Coltscrazy said:

Wow. Finally someone who is watching the same game as me.

2 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

why? did I hurt your feelings?

Threads staying open for now, but this kind of post will get it locked.

Keep it football.

Can't say it would be the first thread I would've ran to and made after a big win, but to each their own, I guess.

As long as there isn't any trolling or personal shots it should be fine.

And this is prime example, because a post like yours will get a reply like this:

4 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Say stupid things, get stupid replies

Then things seem to go sideways.

Archived